Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

The action felt (on the 6) slightly more solid than the Krome 61 I own.

I like that it feels more consistent from front to back, though it's still not a great action for piano (even as non-hammer actions go).

The actual width of the board is a little bulky as well

Not as wide as the Krome, A little deeper, though. The depth bothered me on the deeper 88, especially since that would typically be on the lower tier of a pair.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Ive gone five times, to two different stores, to play the MODX. It sounds unbelievable, Im in love with the whole approach. Im sold.

Im getting the Montage.

Lol. Awesome. I am loving my MODX7, love the 16 lbs and imo good synth action. Had the first gig(s) yesterday, i had back to backer in two counties. different set lists due to different play times, the live set feature made it easy to adjust the set list for gig 2 while on stage for sound check. The big touchscreen visual interface is awesome. Still need to get used to the PB wheel, not working it as smooth due to the new location.

Its nice to have that extra octave back in such a compact lightweight package. Love this thing, now i just need to learn how to use the new advanced features.

BTW, those that were sad the Montage (modx) didnt have a true sequencer - my Motif XF7 willl be going up on the auction block soon ... with roadster plywood flight case, FL1024 1GB flash card. Its ~75 lbs in the case so im not paying that shipping charge.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

i have cp1, cp4 and montage all different actions, I like the cp1 for my kind of playing which is very close to my Steinway B 2015 believe it or not, 2nd the montage 8 then last the cp4, the cp4 keybed is such a drag to play

Welcome to the forum. For years I thought I was the only one who doesnt like the CP4.

i have cp1, cp4 and montage all different actions, I like the cp1 for my kind of playing which is very close to my Steinway B 2015 believe it or not, 2nd the montage 8 then last the cp4, the cp4 keybed is such a drag to play

Welcome to the forum. For years I thought I was the only one who doesnt like the CP4.

Add me to the list too, I much prefer Korg RH3 action to the CP4.

how do you know the montage 8 has the fulcrum further back, have you opened them both up to know this or do you have photos from the internet that would show this? I would like to see

I don't have pics but with the keyboards side by side - the depression of the backs of the keys of MODX8 hardly move away from the felt. The Montage there is a much larger space there. The difference is very obviously a closer pivot point. RH3 on my Kronos goes down much further as well as the RH2 on my Triton Studio.

The differences between the Montage 8 and the MODX8 for me. Montage sounds better, feels better, more expressive, aux outs and has better controls - especially the the 8 sliders. And no wall-wart! A luxury instrument imo. The bad - heavy!

The MODX is very nice alternative used it on a gig last night - tho at times I have to be careful if I want to get really ambitious with that action.

IMO the Montage is worth the $$ for the studio or if you want to carry it.

the cp4 keybed is such a drag to play

For years I thought I was the only one who doesnt like the CP4.

I only played the CP4 once, very briefly. It wasn't really for me either, and not nearly as good as the CP1/CP5 that preceded it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

First time I played my CP4 I was underwhelmed, but within a week I was in love with the action, and the internal sounds response to it. Best DP I have played to date! Especially after I compared it to my old P90 that I still have set up in another location

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Anyone compare the MODX7 action to Roland FA07?

MODX7 feels more consistent from front to rear.

Add me to the list too. The CP4 is better than the FP30 and (IMO) RD-2000, but not my favorite to be sure. CP40 isn't too great either. Slippery. Funny thing is that I don't mind the GHS much at all. One of the graded actions that I really like is the one on the Kawai ES8. I could play that for hours. No way to justify a stage piano purchase though.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I own a CP5 (same action as the CP1) and to say it even remotely approaches resembling my 2005 NY Steinway D would be a stretch, to say the least... ;)

Sure, but FWIW, to me the CP5 did not feel the same as the CP1. It's been a long time since I played either one, but the CP1 was really good, whereas the CP5 never did anything for me.

Today played the MODX8 with the Reface CP. Exquisite couple. Those reface keys are perfect for fast CP action and Supertramp style EP chops.

But that MODX8 does the trick for a real piano feel as well as ambient style strings and the like. Playing tracks from Atomos by A Winged Victory For The Sullen, the MODX8s light hammer action was ideal. Remarkable how much the feel of a keyboard inspires the way we play and compose. The MODX8 (or any other hammer action) wouldnt allow me to hit those fast Supertramp chops, though, I guess the Reface covers those best, apart from a CP4/40.

Interesting indeed, that you prefer the FA06 action to the MODX7.

...did I miss something? I don't think I've seen anyone say that.

I played and liked the MODX8 - but am really looking for a 7 to replace my MOXF6. However no stores around me have one to test.

The MODX7 will have the same sounds and same operation as the MODX8. Depending on who you ask, the action on the MODX7 is either pretty much the same as the MOXF6 or a bit better. So if you liked the MODX8 sounds/operation and the MOXF6 feel, it's a pretty safe bet you'll be very happy with the MODX7. And FWIW, I was in the same boat... owned MOXF6, played MODX8 in a store... ordered MODX7, and am very happy with it.

I was accidentally in a GC this week that actually had some boards for a change. I played the MODX for a few seconds, and was reminded how much I have moved away from big rompler type boards.

Spent most of my time fooling with a Moog Grandmother.

How was the grand piano on the Grandmother? :snax:;)

I am big fan of FM synthesis because i spent more than 20 years using it in my production (DX7, DX200, FM7, FS1R, K2000...) and this instrument looks interesting, but no aftertouch is deal-breaker also because of that i want one light keyboard for quick solos, so i am interested in MODX6. But i must go to music store in my city and hear it for myself, because i never heard 8-op FM synthesis capabilities. Joke mode off.
Kurzweil Forte | Arturia MatrixBrute