Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2956228 - 11/03/18 02:44 PM Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches?
TheGreenLantern Offline

I have a painted electric guitar and while looking for a way to prevent pick & other types of scratches, I was stunned to find out how well plastic wrap/saran wrap clung to the guitar and seems to work well in the brief time I've used it. I only want to have the plastic wrap on for a few hours at a time. I don't plan to leave it on long, over night, or when I play in public. I just want a way to minimize pick scratches during my practice time and replace it with new plastic wrap each time I practice.

I've seen on other forums though, that you shouldn't put a guitar in a case with it wrapped in plastic wrap. That makes sense. Something about a chemical reaction over a period of time.

So, my question is, does anyone have experience using plastic wrap on a guitar purely for the purpose of temporary protection during practice time? Did it work well? Did it cause any problems with the paint?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

GP Island
#2956290 - 11/04/18 04:50 AM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: TheGreenLantern]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
What kind of guitar are we talking about?

Many solid body electrics come with an adequate pick guard installed to help forego the need for saran type wrap.

Just being more careful with how you use your pick might help too. wink

But then again if, as you stated, you easily replace the plastic wrap each practice, then there IS no need to place a wrapped guitar back in it's case, is there....?

Oh, and BTW...

Welcome to the forum. smile
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (11/04/18 04:52 AM)

#2956308 - 11/04/18 07:11 AM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Welcome aboard to The Green Lantern!

Some of my new guitars come with a clear plastic wrap over the pickguards. I always just removed them as pickguards getting scratched is what they are designed for. I have never used saran wrap on the bodies, but if you are just doing it for a few hours of play time, it won't harm anything AFAIK. I don't really think you need to do this though. Just wear soft clothing with no buttons and you'll keep a lot of scratches off of the back. Cover your belt buckle too.

Sometimes depending on how you play and/or the string height action, a pick can scratch the body just under the strings with and without a pickguard. If you find yourself scratching the body, they make protectors you can buy or you can just try a piece of that saran wrap. I don't use those metal or plastic finger picks for that reason and just use my fingers and a pick for hybrid picking...Good luck with it! cool

#2956325 - 11/04/18 09:00 AM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: TheGreenLantern]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: TheGreenLantern
I have a painted electric guitar and while looking for a way to prevent pick & other types of scratches, I was stunned to find out how well plastic wrap/saran wrap clung to the guitar and seems to work well in the brief time I've used it. I only want to have the plastic wrap on for a few hours at a time. I don't plan to leave it on long, over night, or when I play in public. I just want a way to minimize pick scratches during my practice time and replace it with new plastic wrap each time I practice.

Quick question first; did you, or someone else, strip the original finish, and then paint the body? I'd suggest going a different route, in terms of protecting the finish; consider a thin coat of acrylic lacquer, or some other sealant to protect the finish from scratching, at least to a point. You can find it through Stew-Mac. It takes a bit of practice, three or more good coats, and a well-ventilated workspace, to get it right. Might be worth going to a pro, if you're at all unsure.

Really aggressive strumming is likely to tear through all but the sturdiest plastics, and still wind up scratching your Guitar, in which case you'd be better to work on right-hand technique than wrapping a custom-painted Guitar in Saran wrap.

Bear in mind that any articles you see on the chemical interactions of plastics and Guitar finishes will be based on Guitars with a stock finish, as opposed to a custom, hand-painted design. It would help in your search to know exactly what paints were used, as well. Good luck!

http://www.novparolo.com

#2956355 - 11/04/18 02:01 PM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
The question is really whether the plastic wrap would be thick enough to prevent a significant scratch or dent.
Saran Wrap is fairly thin.
There are some other options, I think.

There are some gtr covers that fit over the body of gtrs.
Here are a couple ideas along that line...
< https://reverb.com/item/464364-strat-slip-cover-faux-leather-guitar-body-cover-case-weird-and-wild
< http://www.skinyourskunk.com/

You mentioned a painted gtr, presumably w/an image or colors you'd like seen, though.
An idea along that line might be to create yer own transparent cover that would be sturdier than Saran Wrap [TM grin ] & save the ever-so-slight-but-adding-up-over-time cost of repeated wrappings.
Any arts/crafts store could supply some pliable plastic material that could be shaped into a removable cover,so you could dress the gtr when playing but remove when not in use, to avoid long term contact w/the gtr's surface.

What type gtr is this & what's the paint job ?

#2956356 - 11/04/18 02:10 PM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: d]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I had somethings in the late 80s I think we're called Rok Sok. Not sure if they still exist n

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2956439 - 11/05/18 04:37 AM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: CEB]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Winston mentioned acrylic lacquer. A good suggestion, but too, compare the price and ease of application to polyurethane. smile
Whitefang

#2956509 - 11/05/18 12:33 PM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: CEB]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: CEB
I had somethings in the late 80s I think we're called Rok Sok. Not sure if they still exist n

Couldn't find a site for 'em but did note that in some search responses this was called Rok Sak...couldn't find a site for that either. rolleyes
Did find examples of their products at secondary sites.
Example: http://www.hotroxuk.com/guitar-accessories-links-847-0/rok-sak.html

#2956633 - 11/06/18 06:02 AM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Quick afterthought - Before applying any kind of lacquer or sealant to the Guitar body itself, take a piece of wood, paint it with the paint used on the Guitar body, and do a test coat on it. That way, you can see if looks the way you want, and if it bonds properly. If you get bubbles, streaks or discoloration, you know not to use that product on the Guitar.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2956656 - 11/06/18 07:42 AM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: Winston Psmith]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
I will add be careful about ventilation and read instructions about breathing the fumes of any sealer. Some that were used a few years ago for cars were very toxic. Jim

#2956707 - 11/06/18 01:00 PM Re: Okay to use plastic / saran wrap to protect from scratches? [Re: jimmac]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Good points in those last 2 posts.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose