Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2019 Thread

Now that the 2018 MLB season is in the books, let's take a look ahead...

No shoulder surgery expected for Chris Sale

Clayton Kershaw agrees to 3-year, $93 million deal to stay with Dodgers

Indians will listen to trade offers on veteran players

And a look back...

Willie McCoveys presence was one of a kind

I was lucky enough to watch Willie McCovey play in spring training games in Phoenix when I was a kid, and I was a fan. He was a giant in more ways than one and from all accounts, an admirable human being.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... and Bo Bichette, Danny Jansen, Eric Pardinho, Nate Pearson, Cavan Biggio...

Even if he's a bust, someone ought to write "The Ballad Of Sean Reid-Foley."

The New Jays. Bring 'em on!

Here for the gear.

that offer was made on September 26th. It had been said all along that a 10 year, $300 million offer was the starting point. That offer was never going to be taken. All that being said, the Nationals won't be a better team without him but I believe he will sign somewhere else. The Nats have a really good outfield without him and have more pressing interests including starting pitching.
:nopity:

Anyone would be crazy to give him a long-term contract with his questionable knee health. Its just too important for turning on a baseball, taking an extra base, cutting off a ball in the gap. I cant think of another body part that takes more punishment in baseball.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Harper will be grossly overpaid relative to his talent. He's had a couple good years but overall he is far from the dominant force he was projected to be, even putting aside the considerable injury problems. And yet from a short term ticket sales standpoint, the executives for some big market teams will decide a big contract makes sense and they will be correct. So Harper will make 4 times as much as players who are 75% as good as him.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

So Harper will make 4 times as much as players who are 75% as good as him.

He puts people in the stands. Kids love him. Moms love him. This is what elevates his contract, and seperates him from superstar players such as Manny Machado. As good as Machado is, he does not draw fans just to see him. Bryce Harper does. So yes, it is a business decision seperate from a baseball decision as well.

• 3 months later...

So, the Padres took the plunge and gave Manny Machado $300M for 10 years, with an opt-out clause for 2023. Good move or foolish? Based on history I say foolish. I think a player's motivation diminishes when he doesn't have to work for that next contract. Many of them put on weight, which leads to injuries. It's the rare player who completes the contract, nevermind excels during it. Alex Rodriguez is the only one, and he also dropped off precipitously. Albert Pujols was a bust. Mike Hampton was a complete disaster. The jury is still out on Miguel Cabrera, Max Scherzer, Giancarlo Stanton, Robinson Cano, Zack Greinke, Clayton Kershaw. Prince Fielder was a dog.

...and Bryce is still unsigned. Because he's a dumbass who turned down $300M from a contending team, in a city he likes, with a fan base that loves him. Greed.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

My question: What coming to the plate music will Bobadohshe come up with for Manny?

So, the Padres took the plunge and gave Manny Machado $300M for 10 years, with an opt-out clause for 2023. Good move or foolish?

Great move. He fills a critical hole at 3B for the Padres and with the #2 prospect in baseball Fernando Tatis Jr. slated to come up at Shortstop in 2 months and the #2 2nd base prospect in all of baseball Luis Urias at 2nd, we have a ridiculous defensive infield. And Machado hits 35 homeruns a year. And he's 26, so he's still developing.

Based on history I say foolish. I think a player's motivation diminishes when he doesn't have to work for that next contract. Many of them put on weight, which leads to injuries. It's the rare player who completes the contract, nevermind excels during it.

This is how the game works these days. You pay for the best early years of the contract. The value sucks towards the end. He'll be 36 at the end of this contract. Not ancient.

Alex Rodriguez is the only one, and he also dropped off precipitously.

So many of them do but they sure got a lot of incredible years out of him.

Albert Pujols was a bust.

He was 32. Manny is 26!

Zack Greinke, Clayton Kershaw.

Pitchers are a different animal in terms of shelf life and injuries. (Also, Kershaw has three Cy Youngs). A 3 year contract through 2021 given to a 30 year old pitcher is different.

Prince Fielder was a dog.

Unlike Prince Fielder, Machado hits 37 home runs while being a 2x gold glove winning defender. He's way more athletic.

The Padres have the top ranked farm system in baseball. This year, many of those prospects will be breaking through to the major league level. They have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. Even when adding Machado's $30 mil / year salary to the mix, the Padres are still well below league average payroll. This move was not only a good idea, it was a no brainer. Even if he busts, they still needed to take this chance.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

My question: What coming to the plate music will Bobadohshe come up with for Manny?

Ha - that's not my job, I don't play the walk up music! I look forward to punctuating his at bats with some charges though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

We do need pitching. This is not the year the team will be great, so when the Padres finish 3rd or 4th in the NL West I don't want to hear a bunch of I told you so's. The team should get pretty good in 2021. Maybe sooner ala the Astros. Or it could be a bust! But at least these owners are showing their commitment level.

I think Machado is a great move by the Padres. Look at his career stats, he's been incredibly consistent. Harper by contrast has had 2 good years and 3 mediocre ones. I don't think Machado will slow down. He wants to be in the hall of fame, and he's got a real shot at it.

The Pads are trying to do it by developing young players. To me that's much more interesting than just buying players, like the Giants have always done, or trying to make spare parts greater than the sum of their parts, like the A's.

Sad to hear of the passing of Frank Robinson. Used to watch him and Vada Pinson terrorize the Cardinals in the '60s growing up. A great man , both while playing and afterwards. RIP

Frank Robinson was the greatest of all the players who ever played for the Baltimore Orioles. He was on the team for only 6 years. Baltimore went to the World Series 4 times during those years. Baltimore won the World Series twice out of those 4. RIP. Thanks for the memories.

...and Bryce is still unsigned. Because he's a dumbass who turned down $300M from a contending team, in a city he likes, with a fan base that loves him. Greed.

I usually agree with you but not here. You can be sure that when this offer was made his agent, Scott Boras, convinced him not to take it as he would surely get more money somewhere else. So far, that hasn't happened, and the offer he got from the Nats is off the table, they have moved on. That doesn't make him a dumb ass. He's a 26 year old young man taking the advice of his superstar agent.

Sad to hear of the passing of Frank Robinson. Used to watch him and Vada Pinson terrorize the Cardinals in the '60s growing up. A great man , both while playing and afterwards. RIP

I never saw Don Newcombe pitch as he preceded the Koufax / Drysdale era of the LA teams. But saw and read many interviews over the years. Another brave and great man who, along with Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson and others, paved the way for the integration of MLB. RIP Newk.

I, too, was sad to hear of the passing of Frank Robinson and Don Newcombe. Two heroes gone.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Nobody needs $300 million. Nobody needs $250M. So it's not irrational to say "above $XXXM, I'm going to make my decision based on other factors." If I was in Harper's shoes, I'd be angling for a Western Division club that springs in Arizona. The Giants are a perfect choice except he'd lose 10-12 homers a years into the right field flyball graveyard. That could cost him in legacy.

Ha - that's not my job, I don't play the walk up music! I look forward to punctuating his at bats with some charges though.

You might want to learn Do The Hustle.

Here for the gear.

I usually agree with you but not here. You can be sure that when this offer was made his agent, Scott Boras, convinced him not to take it as he would surely get more money somewhere else. So far, that hasn't happened, and the offer he got from the Nats is off the table, they have moved on. That doesn't make him a dumb ass. He's a 26 year old young man taking the advice of his superstar agent.

Ive got a question: why would Bryce Harper ever need Scott Boras? We all know the role of an agent - to sell you to people who dont know you; to convince a buyer that youre good enough to hire. Harper has no need for this. Not only that, had he taken the $300M from the Nationals he could have hired a competent law firm (D.C. has a few) to examine his contract. If he paid them, say, $100,000 he wouldnt even notice it. NOW, if hes signed for $300M he has to pay Boras at least $30M, assuming Boras charges only 10%.

It just makes no sense.

Ive got a question: why would Bryce Harper ever need Scott Boras?

Guessing here, Bryce stopped taking my calls. :laugh:

I would bet when he was much younger, possibly still a teenager, he signed a contract with his agent that is near impossible to get out of, and cost prohibitive if he broke it.

More that monetary greed, Bryce wants the notoriety of getting the largest contract in history. In this respect I guess you could call him greedy. We are supposed to find out later today according to what I am reading.

just read "by the end of the week". Jeez

Harper hit .249 last year, slugged .496, and had very poor defensive metrics. Those are not $30M+ qualifications. He's had 2 years that did merit top-of-the-sport play, but which Bryce will you be getting? Odds are about 50%. And his injury history suggests you will not be getting another Cal Ripken.

He will put fans in the seats, and so from that perspective it might be an understandable business decision to give him that money. Manny Machado will do the same for the Padres in part because of the latino population in California. An east coast team is more likely to bank on the next Great White Hope. Sorry to bring ethnic identity into it, but you can be sure the owners are thinking about this too.

There has been talk that the Padres may also sign Harper. They have the money free. Crazy, huh?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/san-diego-padres-just-signed-manny-machado-and-they-still-might-be-looking-add-bryce

There has been talk that the Padres may also sign Harper. They have the money free. Crazy, huh?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/san-diego-padres-just-signed-manny-machado-and-they-still-might-be-looking-add-bryce

People close to the team seem to be saying they won't. Even though they 'have the money' it could potentially hamper our ability to get some quality pitching.

I am not sure how I'd feel if they did get him. He's a pretty incredible player. And yet it gives me flashbacks of 2015 when they tried to do too much in one offseason. But what do I know.

Harper to the Phillies. :facepalm:

My co worker Philly fans aren't so happy with the contract. 13 years with no opt out clause. Wonder how good Harper is going to be at 39. :idk

13 years ago, Bryce Harper was...13 years old.

These long-term contracts never work out as planned. See Pujols, Albert.