Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

Well, I've now listened to most of the stuff posted here that was unfamiliar to me. Some thoughts:

1) Protoje sounds like an interesting breath of fresh air in reggae. Scooped out a couple other videos, but havent decided on him yet. Will have to listen further.

2) I bought Sons of Apollos album when it first came out, based on the personnel. That album was disappointing to me, but Im waiting to hear more from them to see where theyre going. When I watched that live vid of THE SEA WITHIN, I was similarly not 100% sold. However, I recognized that, as a live performance for a new band, that could be a simple matter of not having gelled yet. So I looked for a studio track official vid, finding:

[video:youtube]

This has earned them a ticket to the second round, as it were. Will definitely continue looking around to see what else theyve got out there.

3) Heilung kicked ass. End of story. Id heard OF them, but not anything from them. Thanks for posting.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Proteje's not the only update on reggae, not even the most modern.

Elsewhat...

This morning I learned abt a band I'd heard of before but had never actually heard. Guess what ?! They are cool!

At least some of the time...much of their stuff is a bit too blatantly punk in sound for me but some of it's really well arranged w/multi-layer vox & catchy melodic effects.

Here's the 2 best trax I found so far---you make the call.

This has a great swing feel combined w/vox that carry a slightly diff feel---together there's a swirly, syncopated feel that reminds me of a Zappa gtr solo. Also catch the classic pop FX that crop up (like the cheesy combo organ timbre at 1:35+ )

This one's a bit rough on dainty sensibilities :o (hey, I warned ya) but is both as catchy a pop track as I've heard since M's "Pop Muzik" & lyrically hilarious.

Reference shelf This is "Pop Muzik", the song Frank Zappa & David Bowie didn't write together

d=halfnote

Working my way backwards through the list...

The Sea / Ashes

For me the playing's better than the song; I liked the drum work (Marco Minnemann) & it's recording (both v.crisp)

& the gtr solo starting at 2:50 (Roine Stolt ? Daniel Gildenlöw ?) is interesting, particularly in the way it's phrased.

However what really sets this apart for me is the kinky bass line & sax solo (Rob Townsend) that starts @3:20 ! :freak:

Oh, & the vid itself is :cool: , too. :D

Little Village - She Runs Hot / Don't Bug Me When I'm Workin'

Thanks, Pjr ! I'd never actually seen them---Hiatt's hilarious ! :D

Have ya seen this ?

d=halfnote

It's a good week for new music.

I came home yesterday to a package at my door. I had pre-ordered Scott Mulvahill's "Himalayas", which just dropped. Great upright bass & vocals, with other instruments guesting from time to time.

And speaking of pre-orders, I just put in mine for Glass Hammer's "Chronomonaut". I will miss guitarist Kamran Allan Shikoh, who recently departed; but keys player Fred Schendel is no slouch on the six stringer, either, and some other guests add guitar tracks as well. And Susie Bogdanowicz's vocals... heavenly.

Scottish singer Fish is putting out his last album before retiring, and he seems to be going out on a strong note. First track, "Man With A Stick" just released. Looking forward to the full album.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Man, thanks for adding to my already-over-extended list, Danz !

I just broke into the newest DownBeat & am still tryna prioritize that ...but reading there abt Brazilian guitarist-composer Caetano Veloso's new work put me in a retrospective mood & I dug these things out...

Gal Costa doing one of Veloso's prettiest tunes

Dig the gtr /synth bit that crops up near the end (3:05+ )

Veloso & band doin the same tune

Back to Gal / here she clears the air abt the sometimes bittersweet taste of love while the band funks it up like they're auditioning for Mr James Brown

Which leads me back to wondering abt whatever happened to that nice McCartney kid :facepalm:

d=halfnote

Man, thanks for adding to my already-over-extended list, Danz !

I just broke into the newest DownBeat & am still tryna prioritize that ...but reading there abt Brazilian guitarist-composer Caetano Veloso's new work put me in a retrospective mood & I dug these things out...

Gal Costa doing one of Veloso's prettiest tunes

Dig the gtr /synth bit that crops up near the end (3:05+ )

Veloso & band doin the same tune

Back to Gal / here she clears the air abt the sometimes bittersweet taste of love while the band funks it up like they're auditioning for Mr James Brown

Which leads me back to wondering abt whatever happened to that nice McCartney kid :facepalm:

Didya notice how YT put the cue point exactly over Gal's eye ?!

d=halfnote

Just listlessnin' to Fish's "Man N D Street W/A Stick": :D

Now I'm sittin' bolt up right

& STANDING !!

Wow... the mix starts SO weirdly unbalanced !!!!

The purr-fect match to the lyrix !

GREAT !

That's ART !

That's a cool track, :2thu: !!!!

Makes me wonder why anybod' even cares abt them crackers from Vermont....[PFish, if ya gotta axe. :rolleyes: ]

...but, Dang...it was followed on YT by

Did "They do it w/out knowing" ?

d=halfnote

Reminded of this in a diff thread.

Cheap Trick goes simultaneously rock-rough & arty on a classic track from John Lennon's dark daze...

Catch Neilson's intro starting at :30 + / his frenetic soloing in Lennon's trademark, repeat-the-lick style (see next vid) & his too-cool-fer-skool pic flip @ 3:00 :2thu:

Lennon, w/his once best bud... :idk...

In regard to that rpt-the-lick thang mentioned above, dig the solo JL plays at 3:30. Seems bonehead simple...'til ya try keeping the rhythm exact throughout.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4aJ8R0k2Y

Time-lapsing to a track done to fill time while making a promo vid for Lady Madonna

d=halfnote

Today, investigating a MidEastern duo, Red Axes (yawn) I came across this...Kinda spacey, kinda melodic, lightly jazzish.

What do ya think ?

Here they take a completely diff tack...at least at 1st...before settling into some B'S BREW-era Miles Dewey Davis territory.

I like how the drummer sometimes actually duets w/ the leads.

Gtr solo = 5"30~7:47 / don't miss the upwward swipe he ends with ! :D

Haven't been able yet to get accurate info on IDing the 2 guitarists.

d=halfnote

• 2 weeks later...

Having just returned from the Progstock festival this weekend, my car cd player is full of new acquisitions. Don't have time to look up videos right now (if they even exist); may revisit that later.

Bomber Goggles: Gyreland

Enchant: Dream Imagined (boxed set)

IZZ: Ampersand 2

Eddie Jobson: The Band Years 1971-1979

Michael Sandler & Rachel Flowers: 3 from 2 (EP)

Orpheus Nine: Transcendental Circus

IQ: The Wake (remastered)

Evership

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

In ref to another thread, I rediscovered this, which came w/the surprise of a "secret" clip the comes on aft the main clip freezes---don't miss it !

dig!

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

:2thu:

Umbabarauma's one of my personal fave trax ever !

What a great perf !

All the translations I find suggest it's abt football but I strongly suspect it's a bit more than that.

BTW, have you caught this one yet ?

The Ladama track's interesting; I like the rhythmic trix they do.

Niyaz is cool, too, though a bit more mainstream musically, I think.

Great vid though !

Reminds me of another fave of mine.

A song that, unfortunately, is still as relevant now as then. :pop:

Dig the synth solo that starts at 2:05. :keys2:

Muireann's got a great voice---love those trills !

I note that yer hitting several cultural angles there, Hugo. What got y'on this trail ? :snax:

d=halfnote

Just fascinated to hear Scofield & Haynes & Dregs all hanging in the same room. How did that happen?

That is a really great group of musicians...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Cross checking references, that apparently took place 3/12/18 at Capitol Theater, Port Chester, NY.

Not really sure how they came together there but I imagine it was JS & WH both there to chk out the Dregs reunion tour.

I was quite surprised by the combination, too, but the weird part would be if they actually arrived together.

Here's a question: do pro performers just drag their gear around w/them in case there might be a jam ?

I know some cats do/did (Les Paul & Hendrix were notorious in that regard) but does "airbody" now ? :idk

---------------

Some further comments....

Although Haynes leads into the tune, Morse is burnin' his butt right away.

Note Morse's adjustment of monitor direction during WH's initial solo + pretense at taking notes !

Has Haynes always played slide using that same picking method as Derek Trucks ?

Haynes also cues a drum solo following his 1st gtr break...this is, after all, Morse's band.

That dr solo seems a bit shaky (time variances & you can see Sco tryna figure where the structure is...Haynes steps in to provide light gtr cues).

3:40 HERE WE GO! Sco ignites a def jazzy edge, w/swinging phrasing + partial lines that leave room for the thought to be completed by others (or even by the listener) but also executes a loooong line from 4:10 ~ 4:25 (joined by Morgenstein at the end of phrase :rimshot: ).

JS's transition between choruses abt 5 min mark & his, I gotta say, hilarious start to 4th (?) chorus are worth noting, too, as is the bg action of Morse apparently getting ready to play---but SAco's not done yet ! Morse cast his hand up in the air like---"Oh...ok...".

Haynes takes control & sings a verse + plays a disruptive, broken phrase that gives Morse some clean room for Morse to lay new track....but wait, Sco's not done!

The beat drops it's busy-ness while JS interjects some BBK-isms.

Then he & Haynes trad some fonk.

Finally at 9;20 Morse gets his band back & dang, he's got some stuff to say...although he does so in a single chorus !

I must say that, while my tendency is to view John Scofield as the favored son here, & both he & Haynes acquit themselves powerfully, I think Morse comes out as the player w/ the cleanest tonal projection.

-----------------------

FWIW, Haynes & Sco have some history.

Here's a clip from a few yrs back.

I'll leave the analysis to ya'll.

d=halfnote

While we wait for russcian to clarify the above here's another, new ghost who I was reminded of recently.

Never really knew his skills til I looked into some of The Permanent Record last week.

Many may recall this.

But dig the snarlin' buzzsaw Mr Tony Joe White whips out at 2:50

But didja know he wrote this one ?

He sings OK but dig that gtr work---the fills throughout are sumptuous. :cool:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf7GrgbE8cg

Here's the clincher.

Again, the performance is rife w/great fills but the gtr solo [5:35~coda] is worthy of study alongside anything by Mark Knopfler or Dave Gilmour. :rawk:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw90zbOlqEE

d=halfnote

:2thu:

Umbabarauma's one of my personal fave trax ever !

What a great perf !

All the translations I find suggest it's abt football but I strongly suspect it's a bit more than that.

BTW, have you caught this one yet ?

The Ladama track's interesting; I like the rhythmic trix they do.

Niyaz is cool, too, though a bit more mainstream musically, I think.

Great vid though !

Reminds me of another fave of mine.

A song that, unfortunately, is still as relevant now as then. :pop:

Dig the synth solo that starts at 2:05. :keys2:

Muireann's got a great voice---love those trills !

I note that yer hitting several cultural angles there, Hugo. What got y'on this trail ? :snax:

[font:Comic Sans MS]I'm never very far off that trail. I'm a 2nd-gen MexAmerican who never learned to speak Spanish, so I didn't understand the words to half of the music I grew up listening to. Consequently, not understanding languages used in songs has never bothered me.

Love Ofra Haza...now and forever, my fave singer of all time.

Now listening to...this:[/font]

• 2 weeks later...

Just became aware of this song & perf.

Yeah, they just came back into the limelight, hit movie & all but

while I liked some of their stuff, I mostly considered Q a generic pop band but this---in the best way of rock music---carries suggested meanings that go beyond what's stated outright. In this case perhaps addressing the malaise that sometimes affects any of us but also the larger social antipathy that seems to've blanketed not just the USA but the world overall.

Uh, too bad we're still waiting for the magic 35 tears later. "The waiting seems eternity" :facepalm:

Plus Mercury sings w/real nuance & May is just rippin' that gtr ! :rawk:

The Magic starts @ 3:10 ... goes away, returns ... goes & returns---just like in real life !

d=halfnote