Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2955392 - 10/30/18 08:33 AM What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
[/quote]

To my ears, he nails the tone and energy of the great Terry Kath

GP Island
#2955487 - 10/30/18 02:27 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: GregC

Yep
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2955499 - 10/30/18 03:31 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
They did a great job! I still remember when the original came out by the Spencer Davis Group and the singer song writer Steve Winwood that wrote and sang it. It's still one of my favorite tunes:

cool

Edited by Larryz (10/30/18 03:31 PM)

#2955518 - 10/30/18 04:11 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: Larryz]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I think the whole thing's quite well done (I esp like the horns) & Kashirin's def got the chops & all.
The tone, to me, lacks the buzzy grit that Kath had, but that's more a clean production thing, I think, & certainly isn't a criticism.
thu

Did ya see the recent Kath tribute we had here ?
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...s_o#Post2945512
He's a sadly neglected figure.

I see they have an entire Chicago Project going on...as well as some other stuff like EW&F (maybe the coulda done a mash-up of Chic-Cago !) grin facepalm
Thx for the tip, G !

Who are those cats ?

----------------------
BTW & FWIW here's a somewhat less, uh, diligent cover
Make sure ya chk the gtr/bs interplay that starts @ 3:30 freak
Henry Garza's not bad himself
& tune in @9:15 for the Surprise Ending !
puff

#2955528 - 10/30/18 05:45 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: Larryz]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
They did a great job! I still remember when the original came out by the Spencer Davis Group and the singer song writer Steve Winwood that wrote and sang it. It's still one of my favorite tunes:

[video:youtube]hBSVENQ[/video]

cool

excellent reminder on this great classic- from 1966. I'm a Man was a must ' cover' for garage rock bands back then.

I argue (on Keyboard Cor) that the 60's/70's were the best decade for creative rock music which brings howls of 'grandpa ' jokes. But I don't giveashit , I like this history smile

#2955609 - 10/31/18 07:19 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 on the Keyboard/organ hits back in the 60's and 70's. Steve Winwood was/is great on the organ, vocals and guitar. The Doors really put the organ on the map IMHO and +1 on the grandpa jokes...us old 60's and 70's dudes (and the ladies too!) rule when it comes to creative rock! cool

#2955611 - 10/31/18 07:30 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: d / halfnote]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
I th

I see they have an entire Chicago Project going on...as well as some other stuff like EW&F (maybe the coulda done a mash-up of Chic-Cago !) grin facepalm
Thx for the tip, G !

Who are those cats ?

--o]

holeyshit. WhowouldaThunkit ?

http://www.leonidandf.com

In just three short years, Leonid & Friends has blown the minds of legions of fans with their uncanny ability to capture the spirit, musicality and fire of American supergroup Chicago.

And what is even more stunning is that Leonid & Friends hasnít seen Chicago perform live, yet replicates the bandís complex arrangements amazingly note for note.

"Chicago has never been in Russia and none of us have attended their concerts," said Leonid Vorobyev, a multi-instrumentalist who is the bandís leader. "We have only audio records and videos (to help us learn Chicago songs)."

And lets get the city's name correct. Its CHICAGOVICH
wink

Edited by GregC (10/31/18 07:32 AM)

#2956169 - 11/03/18 04:57 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
+1 on the Keyboard/organ hits back in the 60's and 70's. Steve Winwood was/is great on the organ, vocals and guitar. The Doors really put the organ on the map IMHO and +1 on the grandpa jokes...us old 60's and 70's dudes (and the ladies too!) rule when it comes to creative rock! cool

Well, MY argument would be that since Spencer Davis' "I'm A Man" and "Gimme Some Lovin' " came out a year BEFORE anyone heard of The Doors, and too, so did The Rascal's "Good Lovin' ", THOSE two groups more or less put the organ on the map! wink
Whitefang

#2956181 - 11/03/18 07:10 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang, My argument would be that since Booker T and the MG's put out Green Onions in 1962 4 years before Gimmme Some Lovin and Good Lovin in '66 and 5 years before I'm A Man in '67, Booker T. would get the organ on the map nod! BTW the Doors' Light My Fire came out the same year as I'm a Man (our topic song) in 1967. The Doors were formed in '65 and were well known before their 1st album was released in 67. So IMHO, I still give it to the Doors for putting the organ on the map. You can always pick any other Band [you] like and any other year as well...All of the organ songs mentioned are great IMHO. As Frankie would say "it was a very good year." Ray Manzarek not only covered the organ, he did the bass parts on the keys as well from '65 through '73 with the Doors. His lead playing was a step above the rest IMHO. cool

Edited by Larryz (11/03/18 07:34 AM)

#2956183 - 11/03/18 07:33 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: whitefang]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
[quote=Larryz]+1 on the

Well, MY argument would be that since Spencer Davis' "I'm A Man" and "Gimme Some Lovin' " came out a year BEFORE anyone heard of The Doors, and too, so did The Rascal's "Good Lovin' ", THOSE two groups more or less put the organ on the map! wink
Whitefang

As the Farfisa organist in the 60's, this is how it went down for me:

-Dave Clark 5 had an organ player 1964 and prior. Glad all Over was their
1964 hit. I listened to DC5 just as much as the Beatles.

- Animals, House of the Rising Sun 1964 had that distinct organ part- played
by the great Alan Price. CHas Chandler on bass. Where have we read that name
on this forum lately ?

Both bands were popular in England in the early 60's.

Definitely Booker T had that quirky instrumental hit , Green Onions in '62.

The flip side of Help !/Beatles in 1965, had I'm Down . Lennon played
a Vox Continental using elbow swipes.

These British bands influenced my move to a Fafisa in '65.

Rascals were a big deal 65/66 with the talented Felix Cavilere on organ .

#2956198 - 11/03/18 09:11 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Let us not forget 96 Tears, a 1966 hit by Question Mark and the Mysterians... cool

#2956211 - 11/03/18 11:15 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: Larryz]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Let us not forget 96 Tears, a 1966 hit by Question Mark and the Mysterians... cool

absolutely worth a mention for 1966. They had some success but had bad luck with a record label that ran off with their money.

As a Chicagoan, I was into the Cryan Shames that year['66].
Their song writing included organ
on " Could be we're in love " (1967]

Many great local bands back then.

Buckinghams, New colony Six, CTA/Chicago.

#2956521 - 11/05/18 01:16 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As a Chicagoan, I was into the Cryan Shames that year['66].
Their song writing included organ
on " Could be we're in love " (1967]

Y'know (as we ramble around the topic) there were at least 2 other bands w/variations on that name, one produced by the notorious (or venerable ?) Joe Meek.
Here's an unrepresentative track from their heyday that features an interesting intro )& end) to a classic rock staple.
Hey (Joe) even Zappa cut a version.

#2979280 - 03/08/19 10:13 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: d / halfnote]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Back to the future, again.

I watched this on Amazon prime. Really enjoyed it:

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Terry-Kath-Experience-Special/dp/B077P63937

a great documentary about a timeless musician.

Don't miss it. Lots to talk about, old timers smile

#2979329 - 03/08/19 02:34 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Weeeeeell, here hear some other Old Timerz a'Talkin' abt him facepalm

& a not-so-old cat
MY TOP 10 GUITARISTS / Dweezil Zappa [ https://www.dweezilzappa.com/posts/1964127-my-top-10-guitarists ]
10. Denny Dias- A very overlooked guitarist, Denny Dias played on some of Steely Dan's greatest songs. He isn't on every album by Steely Dan, and that's a shame. Even more of a shame is that he doesn't play music anymore. His style was very unique, and looked an awful lot like Zach Galifianakis. Aside from how he looked, his playing was some of the best playing on Steely Dan records. Look up "Bodhisattava" and "Green Earrings", he has the first guitar solo on both songs, and they're equally amazing.
9. Brian May- If Scotty Moore was the reason I picked up guitar, Brian May is the reason I kept up with it. For the longest time, I thought Queen was the greatest band in the world, and Brian the greatest guitar player in the world. He's certainly an incredibly talented musician. From the classic "Bohemian Rhapsody" solo to the lesser known "Keep Yourself Alive", it would be hard to find a Brian May solo that would disappoint. Look up "Good Company" every sound you hear on there that sounds like a synthesizer is his guitar.
8. David Gilmour- This is one of those guitarists whose tone can be easily recognized. Gilmour has always maintained a spacey sound, but still very bluesy. His guitar solo on "Money" is easily one of the best rock guitar solos of all time. His solo work is just as impressive as his work with Pink Floyd. Many people like Pink Floyd, but how many people really like it for the music? Gilmour's tone is one of the most relaxing guitar tones ever. Look up "The Blue" from his most recent solo album for a fantastic, soothing solo.
7. Brian Setzer- I'm so impressed with Brian Setzer because he went from playing rockabilly (which isn't exactly the most difficult form of music to play) to swing/jazz, which any guitar player knows is a very complex genre for playing. Both the chords and the soloing itself is a very different thing in the jazz world. He is often overlooked on many lists, for what reason, I do not know. Look up "Mr. Surfer Goes Jazzin'" and "Mr. Jazzer Goes Surfin" for some crazy solos by Setzer.
6. Frank Zappa- Never before has such a musical genius existed. Zappa was a very serious and disciplined composer, but also a fantastic guitarist. He is known for songs containing offensive and purely comic lyrics for the most part. His guitar solos were so much like songs in themselves that there are Zappa albums containing just guitar solos. Whether he's playing doo-wop, blues, jazz or experimental music, his guitar playing is always the stand out performance of these songs. Look up "Inca Roads", "Willie the Pimp" and "Zomby Woof" for some great solos.
5. Buddy Guy- If you've ever had any doubt in the power of the blues, give a listen to Buddy Guy. Not only is he one of the greatest blues guitarists around, but he's one of the greatest guitarists around period. H**l give you the full range, soft-spoken solos that keep you waiting for that next note and then the loud, madman guitar solos. Without a doubt, he had an incredible influence on Jimi Hendrix with his flamboyant style and all the trickery like playing with his teeth and behind his back. Look up on YouTube Buddy Guy playing with Hubert Sumlin playing "Five Long Years", that is the definition of blues.
4. Derek Trucks- Certainly the most talented guitarist of our time. Derek started playing with The Allman Brothers Band at age 9 (his uncle is Allman Bros. drummer Butch Trucks). Even at that young age he could play just like Duane Allman, look up videos of him at this age on YouTube, you'll be blown away. Derek is probably the only slide guitar player who plays with such precision. He can play the dirtiest blues songs you've ever heard and can even play Indian music better than most Indian people probably can. Look up "Chevrolet" for the blues, and "Sahib Teri Bandi/Maki Madni" for the Indian music.
3. Elmore James- Without a doubt, Elmore James was one of the best bluesmen to ever walk the Earth. He is dubbed by many as the King of Slide Guitar, which probably isn't too far from the truth. Every slide guitar lick has probably been originated by Elmore, and not to mention that voice of his, which was one of the best blues voices in the world and still is to this day. Look up the song "Shake Your Moneymaker" for some proof.
2. Scotty Moore- This guy is the reason I picked up the guitar. I initially thought it was Elvis Presley, until I realized that Scotty's the one playing the guitar solos on all those great early Elvis records. This guy knows that simplicity is the key. Nothing is complicated, but it fits just perfectly into the songs. Look up the song "Trying to Get to You" by Elvis, that guitar solo is reason enough to love this guitarist's playing.
1. Terry Kath- This man was simply the best guitarist in the world. A full-forced powerhouse of energy. Just as good as, if not better than Hendrix. Terry could play blues, jazz, and all that feedback stuff people love Hendrix for playing. Not to mention he had a superb voice. It's tough to say whether or not he'd still be playing with Chicago if he was still around today, but one thing's certain, the group certainly lost it's soul and became rather boring after Terry's death. Look up "South California Purples", "Mississippi Delta Blues", or just about any early Chicago song for proof of his outstanding playing.

I'll let him speak for himself
INTRODUCTION (written by TK / gtr featured 3:55~5:15)

Going Uptown to JImitown @ 3:10 & again @ 4:03

#2979389 - 03/08/19 10:57 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maine

[/quote]
KEWL!

#2979402 - 03/09/19 04:18 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: bbqbob]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Of those on d's list up there, I'd have to agree that DENNY DIAS was the most woefully neglected and ignored. I'VE always liked his work and wondered why SD let him drop out of sight.

And too, because of his death early on in Chicago's tenure as "powerhouse" artists, KATH too, was long forgotten by the general listening public. I've noticed it's usually PLAYERS who still( and fondly too) remember him.
Whitefang

#2979427 - 03/09/19 08:09 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: d / halfnote]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
Weeeeeell, here hear some other Old Timerz a'Talkin' abt him facepalm

& a not-so-old cat
MY TOP 10 GUITARISTS / Dweezil Zappa [ https://www.dweezilzappa.com/posts/1964127-my-top-10-guitarists ]
10. Denny Dias- A very overlooked guitarist, Denny Dias played on some of Steely Dan's greatest songs. He isn't on every album by Steely Dan, and that's a shame. Even more of a shame is that he doesn't play music anymore. His style was very unique, and looked an awful lot like Zach Galifianakis. Aside from how he looked, his playing was some of the best playing on Steely Dan records. Look up "Bodhisattava" and "Green Earrings", he has the first guitar solo on both songs, and they're equally amazing.
9. Brian May- If Scotty Moore was the reason I picked up guitar, Brian May is the reason I kept up with it. For the longest time, I thought Queen was the greatest band in the world, and Brian the greatest guitar player in the world. He's certainly an incredibly talented musician. From the classic "Bohemian Rhapsody" solo to the lesser known "Keep Yourself Alive", it would be hard to find a Brian May solo that would disappoint. Look up "Good Company" every sound you hear on there that sounds like a synthesizer is his guitar.
8. David Gilmour- This is one of those guitarists whose tone can be easily recognized. Gilmour has always maintained a spacey sound, but still very bluesy. His guitar solo on "Money" is easily one of the best rock guitar solos of all time. His solo work is just as impressive as his work with Pink Floyd. Many people like Pink Floyd, but how many people really like it for the music? Gilmour's tone is one of the most relaxing guitar tones ever. Look up "The Blue" from his most recent solo album for a fantastic, soothing solo.
7. Brian Setzer- I'm so impressed with Brian Setzer because he went from playing rockabilly (which isn't exactly the most difficult form of music to play) to swing/jazz, which any guitar player knows is a very complex genre for playing. Both the chords and the soloing itself is a very different thing in the jazz world. He is often overlooked on many lists, for what reason, I do not know. Look up "Mr. Surfer Goes Jazzin'" and "Mr. Jazzer Goes Surfin" for some crazy solos by Setzer.
6. Frank Zappa- Never before has such a musical genius existed. Zappa was a very serious and disciplined composer, but also a fantastic guitarist. He is known for songs containing offensive and purely comic lyrics for the most part. His guitar solos were so much like songs in themselves that there are Zappa albums containing just guitar solos. Whether he's playing doo-wop, blues, jazz or experimental music, his guitar playing is always the stand out performance of these songs. Look up "Inca Roads", "Willie the Pimp" and "Zomby Woof" for some great solos.
5. Buddy Guy- If you've ever had any doubt in the power of the blues, give a listen to Buddy Guy. Not only is he one of the greatest blues guitarists around, but he's one of the greatest guitarists around period. H**l give you the full range, soft-spoken solos that keep you waiting for that next note and then the loud, madman guitar solos. Without a doubt, he had an incredible influence on Jimi Hendrix with his flamboyant style and all the trickery like playing with his teeth and behind his back. Look up on YouTube Buddy Guy playing with Hubert Sumlin playing "Five Long Years", that is the definition of blues.
4. Derek Trucks- Certainly the most talented guitarist of our time. Derek started playing with The Allman Brothers Band at age 9 (his uncle is Allman Bros. drummer Butch Trucks). Even at that young age he could play just like Duane Allman, look up videos of him at this age on YouTube, you'll be blown away. Derek is probably the only slide guitar player who plays with such precision. He can play the dirtiest blues songs you've ever heard and can even play Indian music better than most Indian people probably can. Look up "Chevrolet" for the blues, and "Sahib Teri Bandi/Maki Madni" for the Indian music.
3. Elmore James- Without a doubt, Elmore James was one of the best bluesmen to ever walk the Earth. He is dubbed by many as the King of Slide Guitar, which probably isn't too far from the truth. Every slide guitar lick has probably been originated by Elmore, and not to mention that voice of his, which was one of the best blues voices in the world and still is to this day. Look up the song "Shake Your Moneymaker" for some proof.
2. Scotty Moore- This guy is the reason I picked up the guitar. I initially thought it was Elvis Presley, until I realized that Scotty's the one playing the guitar solos on all those great early Elvis records. This guy knows that simplicity is the key. Nothing is complicated, but it fits just perfectly into the songs. Look up the song "Trying to Get to You" by Elvis, that guitar solo is reason enough to love this guitarist's playing.
1. Terry Kath- This man was simply the best guitarist in the world. A full-forced powerhouse of energy. Just as good as, if not better than Hendrix.

1]Terry could play blues, jazz, and all that feedback stuff people love Hendrix for playing. Not to mention he had a superb voice.

2]It's tough to say whether or not he'd still be playing with Chicago if he was still around today, but one thing's certain, the group certainly lost it's soul and became rather boring after Terry's death. Look up "South California Purples", "Mississippi Delta Blues", or just about any early Chicago song for proof of his outstanding playing.

Ie.o]

I like your top 10 list- some new names for me to check out.

Awesome, that Zappa is in your top 10. I recall when Zappa and the MOI
toured with Cream. Zappa brought down the house with his lead guitar work-
he was just as fiery as Eric.

1]Back to Terry Kath. He was also a significant song writer for Chicago.
Once he left us, notice how the air went out of Chicago, they wandered
musically IMO.

2] In the documentary, Mrs Kath discussed that Terry was getting tired
of the Chicago format. That he wanted to have a 3 piece band, just the
basics.

#2979443 - 03/09/19 09:35 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

NOTE: That's not my list.
That's Dweezil Zappa's list of his fave players....& he put his own pops after Brian Seltzer [ freak ].

As far as Chicago's decline as aband, most don't realize how much they changed over time.
Their 1st album was dedicated to "(The) Revolution", both politically & culturally.
At some point, as is always the case, the need or urge for financial continuity as an operation shifted things.
That may've been one of the personal pressures Kath felt as his life became less happy.
I don't really know.
PPl at that age have all sorts of pressures & it's a common time in life for clinical psychoses to become apparent.
All I know fer sher is he was a masterful guitarist & composer whose death left us all, musicians & fans alike, less well off.

His influence extended into areas not often noted.
Compare the opening of the song above to the song that follows.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose