Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2955392 - 10/30/18 08:33 AM What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
[/quote]

To my ears, he nails the tone and energy of the great Terry Kath

GP Island
#2955487 - 10/30/18 02:27 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: GregC
To my ears, he nails the tone and energy of the great Terry Kath

Yep
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2955499 - 10/30/18 03:31 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
They did a great job! I still remember when the original came out by the Spencer Davis Group and the singer song writer Steve Winwood that wrote and sang it. It's still one of my favorite tunes:

cool

Edited by Larryz (10/30/18 03:31 PM)

#2955518 - 10/30/18 04:11 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I think the whole thing's quite well done (I esp like the horns) & Kashirin's def got the chops & all.
The tone, to me, lacks the buzzy grit that Kath had, but that's more a clean production thing, I think, & certainly isn't a criticism.
thu

Did ya see the recent Kath tribute we had here ?
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...s_o#Post2945512
He's a sadly neglected figure.

I see they have an entire Chicago Project going on...as well as some other stuff like EW&F (maybe the coulda done a mash-up of Chic-Cago !) grin facepalm
Thx for the tip, G !

Who are those cats ?

----------------------
BTW & FWIW here's a somewhat less, uh, diligent cover
Make sure ya chk the gtr/bs interplay that starts @ 3:30 freak
Henry Garza's not bad himself
& tune in @9:15 for the Surprise Ending !
puff

#2955528 - 10/30/18 05:45 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: Larryz]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
They did a great job! I still remember when the original came out by the Spencer Davis Group and the singer song writer Steve Winwood that wrote and sang it. It's still one of my favorite tunes:

[video:youtube]hBSVENQ[/video]

cool

excellent reminder on this great classic- from 1966. I'm a Man was a must ' cover' for garage rock bands back then.

I argue (on Keyboard Cor) that the 60's/70's were the best decade for creative rock music which brings howls of 'grandpa ' jokes. But I don't giveashit , I like this history smile

#2955609 - 10/31/18 07:19 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 on the Keyboard/organ hits back in the 60's and 70's. Steve Winwood was/is great on the organ, vocals and guitar. The Doors really put the organ on the map IMHO and +1 on the grandpa jokes...us old 60's and 70's dudes (and the ladies too!) rule when it comes to creative rock! cool

#2955611 - 10/31/18 07:30 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: d]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
I th

I see they have an entire Chicago Project going on...as well as some other stuff like EW&F (maybe the coulda done a mash-up of Chic-Cago !) grin facepalm
Thx for the tip, G !

Who are those cats ?

--o]

holeyshit. WhowouldaThunkit ?

http://www.leonidandf.com

In just three short years, Leonid & Friends has blown the minds of legions of fans with their uncanny ability to capture the spirit, musicality and fire of American supergroup Chicago.

And what is even more stunning is that Leonid & Friends hasnít seen Chicago perform live, yet replicates the bandís complex arrangements amazingly note for note.

"Chicago has never been in Russia and none of us have attended their concerts," said Leonid Vorobyev, a multi-instrumentalist who is the bandís leader. "We have only audio records and videos (to help us learn Chicago songs)."

And lets get the city's name correct. Its CHICAGOVICH
wink

Edited by GregC (10/31/18 07:32 AM)

#2956169 - 11/03/18 04:57 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
+1 on the Keyboard/organ hits back in the 60's and 70's. Steve Winwood was/is great on the organ, vocals and guitar. The Doors really put the organ on the map IMHO and +1 on the grandpa jokes...us old 60's and 70's dudes (and the ladies too!) rule when it comes to creative rock! cool

Well, MY argument would be that since Spencer Davis' "I'm A Man" and "Gimme Some Lovin' " came out a year BEFORE anyone heard of The Doors, and too, so did The Rascal's "Good Lovin' ", THOSE two groups more or less put the organ on the map! wink
Whitefang

#2956181 - 11/03/18 07:10 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang, My argument would be that since Booker T and the MG's put out Green Onions in 1962 4 years before Gimmme Some Lovin and Good Lovin in '66 and 5 years before I'm A Man in '67, Booker T. would get the organ on the map nod! BTW the Doors' Light My Fire came out the same year as I'm a Man (our topic song) in 1967. The Doors were formed in '65 and were well known before their 1st album was released in 67. So IMHO, I still give it to the Doors for putting the organ on the map. You can always pick any other Band [you] like and any other year as well...All of the organ songs mentioned are great IMHO. As Frankie would say "it was a very good year." Ray Manzarek not only covered the organ, he did the bass parts on the keys as well from '65 through '73 with the Doors. His lead playing was a step above the rest IMHO. cool

Edited by Larryz (11/03/18 07:34 AM)

#2956183 - 11/03/18 07:33 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: whitefang]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
[quote=Larryz]+1 on the

Well, MY argument would be that since Spencer Davis' "I'm A Man" and "Gimme Some Lovin' " came out a year BEFORE anyone heard of The Doors, and too, so did The Rascal's "Good Lovin' ", THOSE two groups more or less put the organ on the map! wink
Whitefang

As the Farfisa organist in the 60's, this is how it went down for me:

-Dave Clark 5 had an organ player 1964 and prior. Glad all Over was their
1964 hit. I listened to DC5 just as much as the Beatles.

- Animals, House of the Rising Sun 1964 had that distinct organ part- played
by the great Alan Price. CHas Chandler on bass. Where have we read that name
on this forum lately ?

Both bands were popular in England in the early 60's.

Definitely Booker T had that quirky instrumental hit , Green Onions in '62.

The flip side of Help !/Beatles in 1965, had I'm Down . Lennon played
a Vox Continental using elbow swipes.

These British bands influenced my move to a Fafisa in '65.

Rascals were a big deal 65/66 with the talented Felix Cavilere on organ .

#2956198 - 11/03/18 09:11 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Let us not forget 96 Tears, a 1966 hit by Question Mark and the Mysterians... cool

#2956211 - 11/03/18 11:15 AM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: Larryz]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Let us not forget 96 Tears, a 1966 hit by Question Mark and the Mysterians... cool

absolutely worth a mention for 1966. They had some success but had bad luck with a record label that ran off with their money.

As a Chicagoan, I was into the Cryan Shames that year['66].
Their song writing included organ
on " Could be we're in love " (1967]

Many great local bands back then.

Buckinghams, New colony Six, CTA/Chicago.

#2956521 - 11/05/18 01:16 PM Re: What you think of Sergey's Terry Kath cover ? [I'm a Man] [Re: GregC]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: GregC
As a Chicagoan, I was into the Cryan Shames that year['66].
Their song writing included organ
on " Could be we're in love " (1967]

Y'know (as we ramble around the topic) there were at least 2 other bands w/variations on that name, one produced by the notorious (or venerable ?) Joe Meek.
Here's an unrepresentative track from their heyday that features an interesting intro )& end) to a classic rock staple.
Hey (Joe) even Zappa cut a version.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose