Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acousticsamples VTines MK1

Best Service is now carrying this, so I plan to grab it tonight as I keep forgetting they now have loyalty points from past purchases.

I'm a sucker for supporting modeling and hybrid technologies, on a matter of principle alone, and if I'm lucky this will also become my go-to Rhodes (I've made eight switches in as many years!).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have quite a few virtual Rhodes pianos. Top tier for me are Canterbury, Scarbee 88 and the Keyscape models and maybe E-instruments Suitcase. I'm pretty happy with these and don't notice issues with playability due to velocity layers. But I'm curious what this new sampled/modelled hybrid brings to the table and would like to hear how it compares with the current best that I've mentioned.

If Acoustic Samples were to bring out a hybrid sampled/modelled acoustic piano that would be very very interesting. It seems to me that the best virtual pianos have been gradually approaching the ultimate goal from 2 different directions. The best sampled pianos (among those I have I would name the Ravenscroft and Garritan CFX) have got more playable and the modelled Pianoteq, wonderfully playable, has achieved a more and more realistic timbre. But both are still arguably just short in their different ways. So a piano that was a hybrid of the 2 approaches, done very well, I'd like to hear.

4Front TruePianos is hybrid sampled/modeled, but I haven't tried them in well over a decade and am not even sure if they've stayed up-to-date.

I bought VTines last night and will start working with it as soon as I finish some finessing and re-tracking of drum and percussion tracks, but that always goes longer than I expect so I doubt I'll be done with that today.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I used VTines at a gig this past saturday night. I didn't do a whole lot of tweaking and I run (in Gigperformer) all of my EPs trough Amplitude (fender twin) so I can't comment fully on the library since i ran it dry, with 3rd party effects, etc. I can say that it's very bright and "bell-y" out of the gate so you may need to do some editing if that's not your bag. It responded really well to my playing ( I run at a 128 buffer). I also use Canterbury and Scarbee EX 88. I don't see myself retiring either of those but I like the V Tines enough that it's definitely going to be added to my gigs.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Can anyone comment on how much better--I'm sure it's better, just not sure by how much--it is than Logic's "vintage electric piano"? I'm pretty happy with Logics b3 organ, but not so happy with the ep...but then my actual rhodes experience is very limited. The amplitube comment above reminds me to try to running the thing through my guitar software plugin of choice (s-gear)....

It's hard to quantify, but i'd say it's MUCH better than the logic rhodes. Sounds better, responds to touch better, just better all around. I have quite a few Rhodes libraries at this point and I'd say they're all quite a bit better than the logic one. My list, from best to "least best". I hate to say worst because theyre all pretty good. I have the first 3 on my list all loaded up in Gigperformer, as I like each one for different reasons.

Scarbee EX88

Canterbury Suitcase

AS V Tines

Scarbee Vintage Keys

Pianoteq Mk 1 and 2

Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Same list here (top two slots in contention still, as to order), but after the new AS V Tines I would place the new PSound Vintage Electric, then UVI Tines Anthology, and maybe Gospel Musicians Neo-Soul Suitcase -- even though I'm still not happy with their most recent version but consider it a moot point due to the three newer products just mentioned.

If you want a Mark 7 sound, the new Toontrack EZKeys Dream Machine is really a treat.

So, those posting who have Canterbury and Scarbee 88 still prefer those to the new AS VTines. But would you say the modelling aspect of the later gives you a range of authentic Rhodes tones rather than the single instrument that the former products offer?

I hadn't heard of the PSound Vintage Electric. It's currently going for 49 Euros. Any reason to buy this if you already have Canterbury and Scarbee 88?

What of Keyscape? Regarding its Rhodes models my feeling is that its presets are gorgeous, but stripped down to a raw sound it's a little less detailed and convincing than Canterbury and the more recent Scarbee.

The Gospel Musicians Neo Soul Suitcase I was quite disappointed with. I find the interface messy, the relation between presets and instruments sampled, confusing. How many different Rhodes have been sampled? Often I seem to be hearing just a few velocity layers.

I still enjoy the Pianoteq Rhodes a great deal. Not the most authentic but it has its own unique sound, a clarity and detail, and feel, that's great to play.

I haven't done my own shootout yet, so maybe I'll break the trend -- my initial judgment is based on just casual playing. I finally finished re-tracking drums and percussion on 120 pieces yesterday (a 6 week process overall), so am hoping to finally do some new e-piano shootouts by this weekend, as several of my jazz pieces in particular really depend on having just the right mojo.

• 2 years later...

There's now an iPad version, with an intro price of $14.99 (will be $24.99)

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1542825691

[video:youtube]

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just tried it and it sounds great. I suspect a much lighter footprint than NSKS2 which is an advantage when loading multi-apps. No-brainer settings, user presets, clear MIDI CC"s and Bluetooth. Best news may be that AcousticSamples may be on the verge of developing more of their catalog for iOS.

Here for the gear.