Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

how can I change or add effects on live performances on modx 7

and can I use the assign knobs(4) for effects

Thanks

Im new at this....as you can tell

you have effects at both Performance level and each Part. Not at my board right now - i'd look at the Owner manual or Ref Manual. You need to edit at the level you want to change, Effects will be one of the buttons you can select to dive into that section.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

how can I change or add effects on live performances on modx 7

and can I use the assign knobs(4) for effects

Thanks

Im new at this....as you can tell

you have effects at both Performance level and each Part. Not at my board right now - i'd look at the Owner manual or Ref Manual. You need to edit at the level you want to change, Effects will be one of the buttons you can select to dive into that section.

Setting up FXs on the Montage/MODX ain't like a Nord so it requires some work. Yes the knobs can be used to control the FXs.

Probably the best thing is for you to provide an example of a performance you want to change/add the FXs to and then people can help out on the specifics.

Busch.

One thing I am liking about editing on the MODX is I can play around with any of the knobs and sliders (when in a sound EDIT screen and use them "live and dynamically" without needing to go menu diving! I only go into that when I need to change the actual effect being used.

Although I am supposing that is pretty much how most of 'em work, just saying I find it really quick and easy for editing. Apart from a couple of quirks, i am really liking this one!

Only tiny niggle, is that the keybed is starting to get the same rattley/knocking sounds of the old MOXF et al GHS keybeds. It was great for the first week or so, but it's starting to "wear" now. Nothing major, just more of a minor annoyance really. And NOT as loud as the PX-5s keybed though :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

How can I change or add effects on live performances on modx 7? and can I use the assign knobs(4) for effects

Thanks

Hi --

Here's two examples that might help you out:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/easy-modx-super-knob-example/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-creating-a-split/

The CONTROL ASSIGN button is your friend. You can assign a knob, including the Super Knob, to Performance and Part parameters. It operates like "learn mode" in other instruments/controllers.

The first article above shows how easy it is to assign the Super Knob (or any of the other knobs). The second half of the second article demonstrates how to change the reverb type and, potentially, any of the reverb parameters. If you put 2 and 2 together, you should be golden. :-)

All the best -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

I took a case back to GC I ordered for MODX7 (GTSA-KEY76, FYI - i find it way too big). I sat and played MODX8, idunno if im just way too used to synth action but it is felt heavy and slow for me. I was playing piano pieces, it just feels sluggish. Im prob too used to synth/SW action.

FYI Case Update- I received SKB-5014W 76 ATA case for my 7. Specs say it is too shallow but its not, it fits fine. Smaller and a bit lighter than the Gator case, still has some room for cords or pedals if you so desire (id find a way to ensure they are secured down). its a keeper for me for travel shows to go with my soft bag for local gigs. Not cheap though but whats the value to fly to a gig and know your keyboard wasnt broken by angry monkeys enroute? Worth enough to me ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I took a case back to GC I ordered for MODX7 (GTSA-KEY76, FYI - i find it way too big). I sat and played MODX8, idunno if im just way too used to synth action but it is felt heavy and slow for me. I was playing piano pieces, it just feels sluggish. Im prob too used to synth/SW action.

No, I feel that way about every GHS board I have owned or played.

But its not a dealbreaker, you just learn to adjust to and live with it. It sure would be nice if Yamaha put the GH in the next gen, though. At this price point that doesnt feel like an unreasonable request.

Are the transitions between sounds seamless or chopped like the MOXF8?

Transitions are seamless as long as neither the sounds you are switching FROM nor TO have more than 4 Parts.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It sure would be nice if Yamaha put the GH in the next gen, though. At this price point that doesnt feel like an unreasonable request.

Well, assuming it's a more expensive action, than either they'd have to raise the price, or take something else out. The bigger issue might be that the board would probably weigh more, which would reduce its gig appeal in another way.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It sure would be nice if Yamaha put the GH in the next gen, though. At this price point that doesnt feel like an unreasonable request.

Well, assuming it's a more expensive action, than either they'd have to raise the price, or take something else out. The bigger issue might be that the board would probably weigh more, which would reduce its gig appeal in another way.

These things aren't sum of parts. They set a price point they want to hit and see how much stuff they can cram in. The original MO8 had the Motif's BH action and it was heavier than its successors, but cheaper. I assume they stuck the GHS in the MOX8 to save weight, but also increase margins.

Cheaper instruments with the GH action include the P140/155/255, CP33/40/50. None of these are particularly heavy, and the P series carry on-board amps and speakers. Price-wise, these are all mid-tier instruments.

This has me convinced Yamaha can add the GH action with acceptable weight increase and retain reasonable margins, without extra cost for the customer.

I really feel the GHS has no business being in a $1900 keyboard. It's fine for the MX88 and P115 or whatever, but instruments in this price range should have the next step up.

Like I said, it's not a dealbreaker, but with the demise of the S-series, the MODX is clearly the successor to both the MOXF8 and S90XS. Its price reflects that. Not having the GH is a missed opportunity, as it would have made this a worthy alternative to the S-series.

But with all that, I have to say I have really warmed up to the Bösendorfer sample. Its easy to play dynamically, you really have a wide range of volume at your fingertips.

Even with the GHS, lol

Seriously, even the CFX isnt far behind the Bosie. I dont think I have ever experienced this level of dynamics in a DP. Same goes for the clavinets, too.

I still need more time to get completely familiar with it, but the UI is actually fairly transparent, and the sound quality is really great (once you get past the low output levels).

However, the presets were made to sound great on studio monitors and headphones. For a typical band situation, youll need to tweak to get it to work.

This dedicated pianist and teacher argues against Yamahas GH action.

He adamantly prefers GHS:

I recommend any Yamaha with the Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) action. The GHS all have properly-weighted actions, feel smooth to play, and sound great. I dont recommend any of the mid-level Yamahas, simply because the actions are much heavier than whats generally considered ideal. (https://steveescoffery.com/digital-piano-buying-guide-from-piano-teacher/#best-yamaha-digital-pianos)

Cheaper instruments with the GH action include the P140/155/255, CP33/40/50. None of these are particularly heavy, and the P series carry on-board amps and speakers.

though they also all have a lot less in the way of capabilities/electronics/ controls than the MODX. I would also disagree that none are particularly heavy. The lightest is the CP40 at 36 lbs, all the rest are more in the 40 lb range, which makes a big difference compared to the MODX8 at about 30. It's an interesting question, even IF they could have put in the GH action at the same price (or even at a small increase of say $100), whether they would sell more or fewer MODX8 if it had a GH action but weighed 40+ lbs. (The MO8 weighed 46 lbs.)

If you've ever pulled out the action from something like a Rhodes/Roland MK-80, you get a sense of how much the action itself contributes to the total weight of those instruments. The individual key action weights add up quickly. But, judging from the feel of these physically heavier actions, I get a sense that the depressing and return of a key is close to a pure gravity play vs. the lighter actions which use other means, e.g. springs, to simulate the resistance of gravity and that the smaller, lighter weights play less of a role.

Busch.

I wonder how much of the CP40/Montage weight is due to the base, which is a big hunk of pressboard! How much would the montage weigh if it were in the plastic MODX case?

It's also possible that the plastic MODX chassis itself would need to be designed differently to support the weight of a heavier keyboard assembly, and might be heavier than the current casing, even if not as heavy as the metal/pressboard equivalents.

But, judging from the feel of these physically heavier actions, I get a sense that the depressing and return of a key is close to a pure gravity play vs. the lighter actions which use other means, e.g. springs, to simulate the resistance of gravity and that the smaller, lighter weights play less of a role.

The weights in the keys are just one variable. Some others would be how big the keys are (better keys are generally deeper, with more distant pivot points), and what materials are used (i.e. wooden keys vs. entirely plastic... and perhaps even among plastic keys, things like the thickness of the plastic used). Related, sometimes keys that feel lighter to play can still actually be heavier. Yamaha CP1/CP5 and Roland FP7/FP7F had lighter feeling actions than what they were using in much lighter boards.

Cheaper instruments with the GH action include the P140/155/255, CP33/40/50. None of these are particularly heavy, and the P series carry on-board amps and speakers.

though they also all have a lot less in the way of capabilities/electronics/ controls than the MODX. I would also disagree that none are particularly heavy. The lightest is the CP40 at 36 lbs, all the rest are more in the 40 lb range, which makes a big difference compared to the MODX8 at about 30. It's an interesting question, even IF they could have put in the GH action at the same price (or even at a small increase of say $100), whether they would sell more or fewer MODX8 if it had a GH action but weighed 40+ lbs. (The MO8 weighed 46 lbs.)

The CP40 is indeed 36 lbs, the P255 (with amps and speakers) is 38 lbs. Those are the most recent models with the GH. I dont see why they could not make a MODX successor under 40 lbs. That would make it as heavy as the Nord Piano (all metal with internal PSU) and that felt super-portable to me.

But sure, while some may feel like I do, others might prefer the weight savings of the GHS.

Heck, in spite of all my ramblings, I bought one as soon as it came out. So I doubt Yamaha will change the formula.

the P255 (with amps and speakers) is 38 lbs. Those are the most recent models with the GH. I dont see why they could not make a MODX successor under 40 lbs.
I don't know the relative weights of the speakers/amps of the P255 vs. all the additional componentry of the MODX, but if nothing else, just the MODX8 chassis itself is about 25% bigger. And as I mentioned, the chassis may have to be designed differently to support the weight of a heavier action.

Regardless, yeah, plenty would prefer the weight savings. There's a big difference between a 30 lb board and a 40 lb board. The weight of the cases becomes a factor as well, because the super light carry bags become less of an option as the boards get heavier. So a 40 lb board easily becomes a 50+ lb box to move into and out of the car or carry up and down the stairs. It makes a difference.

I have both the MODX8 and a Montage 8. I don't find the heaviness of the actions that much dissimilar. The main difference is the fulcrum on the Montage keys is further back - the backs of the keys go down further. This makes a difference in leverage affecting all the keys moreso the blacks. Fatiguing in comparison.

Having said that I am getting used to the MODX and don't love it, but don't hate it either. On a plus, my hands are getting stronger. It's a good sounding light instrument.

I was up in NYC for Billy Joel and Sam Ash had the Modx6 and Modx8 on display (however it would have made sense for them to be connected to monitors/amp but I guess that would have been practical), so I tried it with crappy headphones.

The action felt (on the 6) slightly more solid than the Krome 61 I own. The touch screen is neat to me, but the actual touch area per sound is realatively small for such a large screen.

I played some of the pianos/organs/rhodes/ drums etc..My first impression was when i get a 20% coupon- I might go for it.

In terms of GHS; I have it on my P125 but that board is to take out to songwriting groups, etc... but I would tend to agree and say it shouldnt be in an expensive board.

It does have that "spaceship" feel with some of the dials, lights etc... so if that bothers you I might be inclined to look elsewhere.

The actual width of the board is a little bulky as well