Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

He likes it a lot.

He also starts his review by disclosing that he's a Crumar dealer.

But I mostly agree with his assessment. At one point he notes the Seven action is heavier than his pre-modded rhodes but lighter than post-mod. I'm not sure what this mod is. I think a possible criticism of the Seven action is that it feels heavier than the typical rhodes (heavier than any rhodes I've played), and so of course much heavier than a wurli, to say nothing of clav. I think making the adjustment for rhodes and wurli is not a big deal, but folks should know what they're getting.

I don't feel the action is an obstacle to making great music with the Seven. It's an adjustment, and I've already made it. But if a genie popped out of a bottle and said "I grant you one wish to make the Seven even better than it is," I'd ask for a somewhat lighter action.

The other thing I'll mention, having had mine for over a week, is that the modeled acoustic piano is highly adjustable. If you don't like what you hear in the demos, don't give up hope. The character of the AP can be changed dramatically. I would say that in all its variations it lacks the depth and warmth of today's best emulations. But my point is, if you hear a demo and think "that's too much hammer noise," rest assured you can dial that out.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if a genie popped out of a bottle and said "I grant you one wish to make the Seven even better than it is," I'd ask for a somewhat lighter action.

+1

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a little frustrated at the moment because I can't get the new OS installed. The procedure could hardly be more simple yet I keep getting the message "cannot find update file." I've reached out to Kraft for help, so we'll see. I know it's worked for other folks.

I did have to replace mine when it stopped working, wouldn't completely power up. Under warranty and Kraft sent a new one. Not a big deal and yet I've never had a keyboard fail on me like that before, so makes me wonder whether being a Crumar owner has inherent risks unlike the big manufacturers.

That stuff aside, I'm no less enthusiastic about the Seven than I was when I got it. If anything, more. My theory about the TP100 action is that because it's so different than other actions, it takes more adjustment and also maintenance of technique. In other words, if you play it for a couple weeks and then take a couple weeks "off" playing other keyboards, you're fingers will have to recalibrate which could take a few days. Maintaining your TP100 technique is the way to get the most out of the Seven.

Owning it for a few months has only enhanced my admiration for the rhodes modeling. While the action doesn't feel like a rhodes, the responsiveness is more rhodes-like than any digital keyboard I've played. The ability to tweak to achieve just the rhodes sound you want is fantastic.

Cool :)

I recently got one and I really like it.

I love the sound, but I'm hearing aliasing on higher notes. It sounds almost like a low bit rate mp3. It's not too bad, but it is there and I'm a bit dissapointed about it at this price.

Maybe I have a faulty unit but that seems unlikely.

I only hear it on the modelling sounds, not on the sampled piano sounds.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Love mine. Had no problem with the update which, btw really improved the AP - but not enough to make it my 'go to' piano. This is partly because of the keybed, which Adan explains pretty well. I've compared the basic models with comparable tones from other boards and premium VST's. I find the tones of the SEVEN to be 'fuller', richer, and more authentic than anything else I've tried (including the SV1). I'm getting used to the keybed by playing it every day but it will probably never be my favorite keybed. It doesn't feel exactly like a Rhodes but it does feel more like a (BRAND NEW UNPLAYED) Rhodes than an acoustic piano. Let me put it this way; it's fine if you're playing typical 'classic' Rhodes parts from 70's soul ballads :). But hey, I love that sound, so.....

BTW, I do hear the 'aliasing' on some, but not all, voices.

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Sounds great, the action is definitely heavy but most like a Rhodes I've EVER felt, and I've owned 4 Rhodes myself, one of which I spent 8 years on.

I dont LOVE the stack knobs for this application...not easy to adjust in live situations.

BUT MAN DOES IT SOUND GOOD.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

YEES!! I'm so happy!!

I have been having a really hard time accepting the "aliasing" artifacts and frankly I've veen trying to tell my self that it aint that bad. No one else seems to have problems with it so it can't be all that bad, right?

At the same time I've been having cold sweats and anxiety while playing because I just can't ignore the awful artifacts. It's like the sound engine is GREAT but there is artifacts above it that destroys everything. Especially on the wurlitzer with tremolo and reverb, I thought it sounded like a robot farting while swirling down the drain of some digital shower cabin.

And I just discovered that it aint aliasing: it's just the amplifier controlled by the main volume knob. If the volume is low and you amplify it in an external amplifier it sounds really bad. Same with headphones, on low volumes it sounds really bad.

I remembered that I had the same problem with an old computer, the main volume was being controlled by reducing bitrate fed into the built-in headphone amplifier, while that amplifier is on a constant volume. A cheap but common way to control volume digitally. So I tried to just raise the volume and.. voila!!

The crumar seven sounds SO good now! I am in heaven! The sound is rich and full and the aliasing was not aliasing at all but bit-rate reduction due to the digitally controlled amplifier.

Try it yourself, listen to the crumar with the volume low, listen to how the notes cling out, and especially with tremolo and reverb. All kind of artifacts.

So, it's really dissapointing that the main volume knob is digital and not an analog potentiometer. It would have solved this problem. But I'm as happy as can be now.

Sorry if my english is bad, it is not my first language.

Really, people who says that the seven sound flat and lifeless.. Probably some of them have thought so because of this.

I think the volume should always be cranked up high while playing this. I'll get an external headphone amplifier just to attenuate the signal from now on.

If the volume is low and you amplify it in an external amplifier[...]

Note that if you plan to connect the Seven to a guitar or bass amp, you should set the output level selector to "L" (low) and use the HI input of your amp, if it has two inputs.

Generally, avoid setting the output selector to "H" (high) unless you're using some low-impedance amp from the 40's... If you're using modern FoH amplification or studio equipment, set the switch to "M" (medium) that is equivalent to +4dB, and possibly use balanced cables if you're going the long distance.

The headphone output isn't particularly powerful, it performs best with 32 Ohm headphones, otherwise you need to use an external HP amp if you want more volume in your ears.

I finally installed the OS update, with help from Crumar and cgiles (Chas). The AP is indeed better. I think it's more likely now that you can dial in a piano sound that's not just useable but actually likeable. I haven't gotten that far yet, will take some work, but there are so many parameters to adjust I'm pretty confident I'll get a good result.

Sweet, I'll try to update it tonight when I'm home. What kind of problems did you have updating, Adan?

Also, I'm so stoked about the sound and feel that I'm starting to look at some kind of amplifier. As of now, I'm using an Traynor Darkhorse and an old 60's 2x12 closed back guitar cab. I had them since Before. I would like to buy something new though.

Anyone tried it trough some Classic rhodes amp choice, like a Twin?

Amps: I wouldn't prefer anything over my Motion Sound KP500SN. Pricey, but so worth it. The distortion on the Seven is good enough that you may not feel the need for tubes.

Simpa, I think most people haven't had any problem updating. I'm not sure what was going wrong for me.

As a GEMINI owner, I am happy to read about the success of the CRUMAR SEVEN, because any upgrades may trickle down to to my GEMINI, the Quiet Cousin, which has so many of the amazing sounds in the MOJO and the SEVEN, though without all the buttons, drawbars and knobs for live use. I have to pre-set the sounds using my Android phone browser. A GEMINI upgrade is coming soon!

I never loved PIANO action, too tough on my thin fingers. I am using a M-AUDIO CODE 61. While for the first 6-9 months, MIDI accidents, most likely from the funky AFTERTOUCH hardware, caused occasional crashes, I have worked them all out, no crashes anymore. The CODE 61 action is like butter, wonderful for synth, organ and (my way of playing) piano.

The Crumar / Mojo / Gemini sounds are all AWESOME, inspirational, very playable, and I am grateful to Guido S. for his electronic / programming genius, & to keyboard player forums - because I would never have heard about Crumar, GSI without you !

I've owned 4 Rhodes myself, one of which I spent 8 years on.

Tony (and Adan, too), can you comment a little more on the case/cabinet build? I've owned and gigged many Rhodes pianos, and although of course they're heavy, they're also robustly constructed; I never worried about a joint separating, a hinge breaking, a handle strap or leg socket pulling out, even with rough handling. Do you have any thoughts about the transportation of the Seven as your regular gigging rig, rather than a studio fixture? I know you've only had them for just a few weeks, but do you have any impressions, so far, about longer term durability? Could it take a lick, and keep on ticking?

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

I've owned several Rhodes. The Seven's case is not nearly as robust. For going to the local gig in your own car, it's fine, and you could probably use it that way for years if you're careful with it. I wouldn't trust it for any kind of rough handling.

I've been leaving the top at home and putting the Seven in a rolling soft bag for the simple reason that it has wheels and a shoulder strap. Lifting the Seven by the single handle on the lid works ok if you're not walking for or dealing with stairs. Frankly, the rolling bag is both more functional and more protective.

I kinda thought that's the way it was. Frankly, the big draw for me of the Seven over, say, a Gemini and a controller, is not having to carry a keyboard stand and a music stand -- two things I never had to think about as a Rhodes player. I'm not going to be toting the Seven around on a hand truck, nor banging it up a flight of stairs, like I did for years with my Mark II, but since it's designed to be self-contained, I don't want to simply ignore that functionality and transport it just like another fragile, expensive piece of gear.

@Tony: Do you feel the same way about the build? Do you leave the top and legs at home?

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

I haven't owned any pianos before but I have been playing drums and guitar, have been working as a sound engineer and I've been touring with rock/pop bands for 16 years.

My opinion is about the same. The case is not comparable to a hardcase, unfortunatly. I would worry a bit about the fragility. Also, my guess is that the paint will chip pretty easy, though it haven't happened to me yet.

I would gig with it for sure, and I would gladly throw it in my back seat with some guitars in soft cases on. But I would not treat it like an instrument in a proper hard case.

I would consider the build 'robust' EXCEPT for the knobs. Mine stays in the studio so it'll probably last longer than me in that environment. A word of caution for those planning to use a controller with the SEVEN; this definitely changes the playing experience. The problem, I believe, is the velocity curve. I have a controller with 10 selectable velocity curves, and I found one that came close to the getting the same response from the SEVEN but not exactly. Using it's own keybed definitely provides the best (most responsive) playing experience, so if, like me, you aren't in love with the (heavy) touch of the keybed, stick with it; you'll get used to it (and you'll end up with stronger fingers as well).

I like the Seven's screw-in legs and I use them all the time on gigs. That part of the construction seems robust, and I feel the same as Brad that attacheable legs can be very practical. Crumar includes a handy little sack for them, and that's how I carry them around. I would never carry them in the lid because they would just bounce around and make the package 7 lbs heavier.

As I said, the particle board lid seems fine for local transport. Not as sturdy as the Rhodes of yore, but sturdy enough. But other than looking cool, I just don't think it gives me any advantage over a wheeled soft bag.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone of you using the Crumar Seven with external overdrive (pedal, cranked tube amp)?

I still hear the "aliasing" artifacts on high notes, when going through some kind of overdrive. It sounds good with the built in amp/overdrive though.

I kinda thought that's the way it was. Frankly, the big draw for me of the Seven over, say, a Gemini and a controller, is not having to carry a keyboard stand and a music stand -- two things I never had to think about as a Rhodes player. I'm not going to be toting the Seven around on a hand truck, nor banging it up a flight of stairs, like I did for years with my Mark II, but since it's designed to be self-contained, I don't want to simply ignore that functionality and transport it just like another fragile, expensive piece of gear.

@Tony: Do you feel the same way about the build? Do you leave the top and legs at home?

When I gig the Seven, I use it as designed; on its own legs, and with the lid.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Here's a new video of the Seven with the Mojo 61 on top, using the Wurli Stackers from Vintage Vibe. Works for me!

Great tune! Very evocative of the Brian Auger brand of fusion.

To my ears, the Rhodes and Hammond sounds are completely authentic. If I didnt know better, I wouldnt call them out as clones.