Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2955206 - 10/29/18 11:57 AM Re: OT: “10,000-Hour” Myth: Why Deliberate Practice Isn’t Enough [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Innate is cool.

The thing seems to be that it can be started at any point... if a person who isn't a "natural" puts in the time, no matter how good they get they will pass on the epigenetic traits to their kids, and if their kids have a personality inclined to respond and pursue music they will have a bit of a leg up. Or, you really can create an environment to train your kid to be a musician, which is the case with a lot of people I know who are now classical musicians who didn't have musician parents but their parents wanted them to pursue it. A lot of the "heritability" we think of is environmental, and in the past, there were certainly households who prized music and the arts and households who were too busy worrying about other things and more "practical matters."

Which brings something else to mind for me: that music and the arts in general are retreating to being a "rich kid" thing, again. Since it is the first thing to be cut in school programs, it's little wonder...

GP Island
#2955259 - 10/29/18 03:24 PM Re: OT: “10,000-Hour” Myth: Why Deliberate Practice Isn’t Enough [Re: GregC]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: GregC
...I think your daughter might be an example of innate ability- in that she grasped
melody, concepts, harmony so quickly.

Innate might not be the accurate word
- lets say ' strong disposition ' to absorb what she hears and sees , then has the agility to quickly/actively repeat it. She is a talented child.

Don't mean to seem pedantic but that's the crux of my point earlier.
"Innate" generally carries the same sense as inborn (also used above).
Some qualities are innate but that has to be carried genetically, eh ?
Cultural qualities are learned...&, we hope, further developed. cheers
Originally Posted By: p90jr
A lot of the "heritability" we think of is environmental, and in the past, there were certainly households who prized music and the arts and households who were too busy worrying about other things and more "practical matters."

Which brings something else to mind for me: that music and the arts in general are retreating to being a "rich kid" thing, again. Since it is the first thing to be cut in school programs, it's little wonder...

In re that last point, abt schools:
One thing that at 1st might seem counter to my above point is that here's a couple examples of how those who get an interest in an art overcome such limits.

Louis Armstrong grew up from a v. young age (like toddler age) as an street orphan taken into a "waif's home" in New Orleans but his exposure to the instruments avalaible there + the general atmosphere of N.O. helped shape him into one of the mugical giants of our---or indeed any---time.
[Not unlike what happened later w/Mr James Brown, who was so poor he actually lived in the woods for a while as a kid & later developed his dancing skills begging in the streets to stay alive.]

Poor kids in NYC, with an interest in music but w/out the schooling to work w/standard forms or the wherewithal to get instruments, took what was avaliable, i.e., various pop forms heard where they heard them, including Jamaican "toasters" (popular w/the cities immigrant populace) & created hip-hop rap, now one of the dominant forms worldwide.

Neither example though, shows "natural" abilities but rather the ability to take what one's exposed to & develop that.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose