Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2954615 - 10/25/18 11:02 PM We lost another one...
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...

GP Island
#2954621 - 10/26/18 01:10 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: picker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
An unsung great.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/26/18 01:10 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2954630 - 10/26/18 04:48 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Man! I gotta be careful!!

Was just thinking about him the other day, wondering, "what ever became of him, anyway?" when hearing "Poke Salad Annie" on the car radio. frown

Yeah, underappreciated for sure.
Whitefang

#2954647 - 10/26/18 06:23 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
That's sad news...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2954669 - 10/26/18 08:28 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Rest in Peace Tony Joe White...

#2954714 - 10/26/18 11:49 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
RIP Tony Joe White, couldn't remember what he did until the fangster mentioned his Poke Salad Annie. Then I played the video Danny posted above & then I remembered him from his style and voice. He was a good'un.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2954760 - 10/26/18 03:47 PM Re: We lost another one... [Re: desertbluesman]
DocPate Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Rest in Peace Tony Joe White

#2954813 - 10/27/18 05:53 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: DocPate]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
This version doesn't have the horns they put on it later, which I think is a vast improvement.

#2954834 - 10/27/18 09:37 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: picker]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Diddya know he wrote this one ?

According to my understanding, while we might think of TJW as an old timer, he actually didn't start writing til after he heard, gulp, "Balld of Billie Joe" by the mysterious Bobbi Gentry.

Elvis, who prolly ate his fair share of poke as a kid, did his part to spread the message.
Here, in a remarkably animated & interactive w/his band performance, he delivers his version, which seems to suggest a secondary meaning to "poke salad".

But TJW didn't fade from the scene back in them days.
Here he is a couple years back, at age 72, rippin' a snarling buzz-saw solo [2:50~3:15] w/ perhaps the USA's premier modern rock band. rawk

TJ did some interesting stuff w/ Tina Turner.

Here he gives Mark Knopfler & Dave Gilmour a run for the money.

For those interested in checking his more recent work...
In 2000, Hip-O Records released One Hot July in the U.S., giving White his first new major-label domestic release in 17 years. The critically acclaimed The Beginning appeared on Swamp Records in 2001, followed by Heroines, featuring several duets with female vocalists including Jessi Colter, Shelby Lynne, Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, and Michelle White, on Sanctuary in 2004, and a live Austin City Limits concert, Live from Austin, TX, on New West Records in 2006. In 2004, White was the featured guest artist in an episode of the Legends Rock TV Show and Concert Series, produced by Megabien Entertainment.

In 2007, White released another live recording, Take Home the Swamp, as well as the compilation Introduction to Tony Joe White. Elkie Brooks recorded one of White's songs, "Out of The Rain", on her 2005 Electric Lady album. On July 14, 2006, in Magny-Cours, France, White performed as a warm-up act for Roger Waters' The Dark Side of the Moon concert. White's album, entitled Uncovered, was released in September 2006 and featured collaborations with Mark Knopfler, Michael McDonald, Eric Clapton, and J.J. Cale.

The song "Elements and Things" from the 1969 album ...Continued features prominently during the horse-racing scenes in the 2012 HBO television series "Luck".

In 2013, White signed to Yep Roc Records and released Hoodoo.[3] Mother Jones called the album "Steamy, Irresistible" [4] and No Depression noted Tony Joe White is "the real king of the swamp." [5] He also made his Live...with Jools Holland debut in London, playing songs from Hoodoo.[6]

On October 15, 2014, White appeared on The Late Show with David Letterman alongside the Foo Fighters to perform "Polk Salad Annie". Pointing to White, Letterman told his TV audience, "Holy cow! ... If I was this guy, you could all kiss my ass. And I mean that."[7]

In May 2016, Tony Joe White released Rain Crow on Yep Roc Records.[8] The lead track "Hoochie Woman" was co-written with his wife, Leann.[8] The track "Conjure Child" is a follow up to an earlier song, "Conjure Woman." [8]

The album Bad Mouthin' was released in September 2018 again on Yep Roc Records. The album contains six self-penned songs and five blues standards written by, amongst others, Charley Patton and John Lee Hooker. On the album White also performs a cover of the Elvis Presley song "Heartbreak Hotel". White plays acoustic and electric guitar on the album which was produced by his son Jody White.

Here he performs a one of the trax from that alb (a cover of JLHooker's "Boom Boom") in true deep Delta style live just a month ago.

Finally, here's one that expresses the all-to-human probs traveling musos sometimes have w/ the, uh, Highway Pa-Troll... grin

#2955340 - 10/30/18 01:56 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: picker]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I recall an exercise in junior high school, where a teacher asked the students to name everyone they could who had the first name Tony. Someone said Tony the Tiger, from Frosted Flakes. It got around to me and yep, Mr. White got my vote. I don`t know if the teacher had any idea who I was talking about.
RIP Mr. White. Loved your music.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2955348 - 10/30/18 04:31 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I know this is OT, but that seems an odd exersise for a junior high class. Sounds more like something done in an elementary school class. Plus, was there any particular reason he picked THAT name?

But anyway...we appreciate your giving HIM an "education". wink
Whitefang

#2955529 - 10/30/18 05:45 PM Re: We lost another one... [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I think they asked abt "Tony" b/c it rhymes w/Johnny

From one master to another

Dark Horse Rider

cool
wave

#2955586 - 10/31/18 04:34 AM Re: We lost another one... [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Rhymes with "Johnny"?

Really, rhymes more with "Joni", but I don't think they ever done any duet. wink
Whitefang

#2955771 - 10/31/18 08:29 PM Re: We lost another one... [Re: whitefang]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Always dug his stuff....

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose