Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

There have been +10,000 posts on keyboard action here.

There should be some effort to help ' quantify ' all the statements or impressions.

Then , when a new board arrives, a baseline can be applied.

This is not meant to be hair splitting- more of a guide.

I will start(10 is perfect);

Korg Kronos RH3 on the 88 and 73 model: 8.0

Roland FA-07: 7.5

Roland A50: 9.8

Roland FA-06: 3.0

Roland GX/NX Stage: 9.5

Korg Extreme 76: 7.0

Yamaha XS 76: 7.5

Good idea, but maybe best to split them up into two categories: piano versus synth/organ ?

it could go either way. Its up to consensus.

I think most know if a keyboard is synth ( unweighed) vs piano (weighed).

Getting 15-20 opinions/# rating per board, than keeping an average would get us to a fair guide.

I can keep score on Excel for the time being if anyone thinks a keybed guide has merit

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

it could go either way. Its up to consensus.

I think most know if a keyboard is synth ( unweighed) vs piano (weighed).

Getting 15-20 opinions/# rating per board, than keeping an average would get us to a fair guide.

I can keep score on Excel for the time being if anyone thinks a keybed guide has merit

I agree with the thought there should be one for fully weighteds and one for the rest.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Its easy enough.

as far as keybed description;

Fully weighed

Everything else ( since there is some variation here)

I am open to a better column describers.

It would be great if the forum had a 'files ' section. So I can or the mod

can upload the file, keep it current.

Or maybe someone wants to offer there web site to store it.

Of course, we still need more buy in , if this work is worth doing.

Hopefully, I am not creating a bunch of work. I like simple.

Thanks

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

My other complaint extends to the Montage and the entire Yamaha line: how the hell are they STILL so remarkably clueless in regards to tonewheel organ expectations? Its maddening.

OTOH, I don't think they're worse than other rompler organs. If you need something with a clonewheel engine, this just is not the board to buy.

For me the truly maddening aspect is that Yamaha has better organs, as evidenced by the Reface YC. One would think this would have somehow found its way into their flagship line.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Crazy thing in my current rig I miss the Motif organs. The work great in current Pop band layers. The Kronos and FA Roland patches don't work as well. They try to hard to sound like Hammonds.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

For me the truly maddening aspect is that Yamaha has better organs, as evidenced by the Reface YC. One would think this would have somehow found its way into their flagship line.

It's a fair point. Even if it might have added hundreds to the retail price (say, if they literally built the separate Reface YC electronics into the chassis), it's arguably still a compelling design. One thing they could do which might be interesting is to update the Montage/MODX OS so that it could send patches to an actual Reface, so you could buy a YC essentially as an external module and still call up its presets in tandem with the board's own sounds (i.e. a Performance would be able to include sending a separate set of parameters to a Reface, so you wouldn't have to separately call up a Reface sound with an iOS device).

Crazy thing in my current rig I miss the Motif organs. The work great in current Pop band layers. The Kronos and FA Roland patches don't work as well.

Yeah, sometimes rompler organs can still give you what you need (I've mentioned how much I liked one in the old S30). Have you tried calling up the non-clonewheel engine organ sounds in those other boards? i.e. the non-CX3 (HD1) organ sounds in the Kronos, or the non-SuperNatural organ sounds of the FA? For the latter, I know some people have liked SRX expansion organ sounds, e.g. SRX-07 which is axial EXP-02.

Those updated organs in the Montage/MODX sound pretty good to me

To me, as a rock player, the worst thing about the Montage/MODX organ is the overdrive, which is even worse with leslie transitions. At least sometimes it kind of sounds like the Leslie is affecting the clean sound and they are overlaying the distorted organ sound on top of it. If I needed quality organ and really didn't want to have to go to a second board for it, I'd be inclined to split my sounds to different outputs, disable any internal rotary/overdrive effects on the organ patches, and run them to a Vent or other sim, which would probably give me a perfectly usable organ. On a Montage, with its additional outs, I could still keep everything else stereo (and even have another out for dedicated LH bass if I wanted)... on the MODX I'd have to run dual mono (organ on one channel, other sounds out the other). There's an FA feature I really wish the MODX had.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There have been +10,000 posts on keyboard action here.

There should be some effort to help ' quantify ' all the statements or impressions.

Then , when a new board arrives, a baseline can be applied.

This is not meant to be hair splitting- more of a guide.

I will start(10 is perfect);

You should start a new thread for this. It's OT for MODX, and lots of people who could be interested won't find it here.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As someone who currently has a Krome 61 (mainly used for acoustic piano/Rhodes/B3's and drums)- what would be some of the benefits of having the Modx6?

I did have an original Motif6 in the early 2000's-2010; would the ModX offer perhaps better interfacing with my DAW etc... It is very tempting as I can get on for $1040 but then again it could be gas for me.

As someone who currently has a Krome 61 (mainly used for acoustic piano/Rhodes/B3's and drums)- what would be some of the benefits of having the Modx6?

Seamless sound switching. Better (albeit still not great) action, esp. for piano sounds, because the keys feel more consistent from front to rear. More real-time knobs/sliders. FM synthesizer. Custom sample loading. More polyphony. More simultaneous effects. But a lot of it could also be whether or not you think it sounds better, specifically for the sounds you most use, which is subjective. I mean, for piano/Rhodes/B3 and drums in a relatively inexpensive 61, you could also make a case for the Roland VR-09B, despite its being far more limited than the Krome or MODX in other ways.

Lars, I also am a Krome 61 user and got my first play with the MODX6 this week in store. I really liked it and I agree with all Scott's points above so won't repeat them.

The action (to me) felt almost identical to the Krome, same wobbly noisy squishy experience, however the hinge point of the keys is better.

To provide some counterpoint, the reasons I won't change are: Love the Krome sound (don't use it for EP though and acknowledge organs are not amazing), I speak Korg far better than I speak Yamaha, I can't justify AUD1600 for what (for me) would be the most minor of upgrades. Then there's the time spent learning and programming the thing, which I also consider as part of my investment decision.

I'm also a bit of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of chap. The Krome has never let me down.

All of the above said, I see no reason the MODX wouldn't make an excellent gigging weapon. If you like the Korg I reckon you'd be pretty happy with the Yamaha too.

Been playing my MODX8 for an extended time this Sunday. Really like this keyboard. The action is what I was hoping and looking for. Not heavy at all, mighty fine for piano and very sweet for synth, strings and guitar. Meanwhile, loving those deeply moving MODX sounds. And that side chaining fun.

Output volume on headphones could be a bit higher, though quite OK.

Been playing my MODX7 for a bit more this weekend - really like it, thrilled with the addition. Ready to gig with it, though havent put some of its advanced motion sound into action yet. I could just have GAS in my ears but it sounds really good - better than Motif XF or MOXF.

Debuts next Sat in a back-to-backer double header.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

From the manual:

The audio signals of the MODX can be output to the [uSB TO HOST] terminal and the OUTPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks. When connecting to a computer, use the [uSB TO HOST] terminal.

So now Im wondering if I can output audio through the USB TO HOST terminal of the MODX to the USB input of my active monitors.

Or do I really need to put a computer between them?

A quick follow up.

Hooked the MODX8 up to a pair of Dynaudio Xeo4 active speakers through the wireless hub using the regular outs. No latency at all when playing live (or auditions).

Two more connection paths to check:

- MODX USB out to my computer and then to the Dynaudio wireless hub

- MODX USB out straight to the hubs USB in.

Really hoping the latter will work.

I posted in the wrong tread so here I go again

Has anyone been having problems with the out put volume of the Yamaha Modx 7? How can I increase it?

Thanks

Just got this reply from Stevie18 over at YamahaMusicians:

Don't blame me if you blow your ears away: Utility -> Audio I/O -> Main L&R to +6db or even +12 db should give you enough for that...

I went for +12 dB myself.

Glorious. Happy to see my monitors easily handling it. Same goes for headphones. Simply glorious.

Any reason not to use this option apart from ear damage?

Forgive me my ignorance, but would adding 12dB automatically induce distortion or other artifacts?

Has anyone been having problems with the out put volume of the Yamaha Modx 7? How can I increase it?

Thanks

Don't blame me if you blow your ears away: Utility -> Audio I/O -> Main L&R to +6db or even +12 db should give you enough for that...

OT: I have an MX88 and, unless I'm missing it, I don't see this option of boosting the MX's low output volume in Utilities or anywhere else in the menus for that matter. My inefficient workaround is to uniformly boost the EQ's gain for a voice and save the edited voice to a performance.

It's good to hear that the option of boosting output volume is available for the MODX boards, along with the ability to split / layer 4 (or 8?) zones and mix them in real time with sliders and knobs. The MX can only do two zones in real time without hooking it up to computer and using a software editor.

A MODX may be in my future. I need to get to the local Shitar Center and try one out.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Thanks

OT: I have an MX88 and, unless I'm missing it, I don't see this option of boosting the MX's low output volume in Utilities or anywhere else in the menus for that matter. My inefficient workaround is to uniformly boost the EQ's gain for a voice and save the edited voice to a performance.

It's good to hear that the option of boosting output volume is available for the MODX boards, along with the ability to split / layer 4 (or 8?) zones and mix them in real time with sliders and knobs. The MX can only do two zones in real time without hooking it up to computer and using a software editor.

A MODX may be in my future. I need to get to the local Shitar Center and try one out.

Yamaha addressed the output issue on the MX with a software update. They Raised the volume of the OUTPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks and the [PHONES] jack by 6dB.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Yamaha addressed the output issue on the MX with a software update. They Raised the volume of the OUTPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks and the [PHONES] jack by 6dB.

That was a long time ago, for the original MX, pre-dating the MX88. By the time the MX88 shipped, they wouldn't have been shipping the older firmware.

That was a long time ago, for the original MX, pre-dating the MX88. By the time the MX88 shipped, they wouldn't have been shipping the older firmware.

OK... Thanks. Despite the original MX's update of a 6db volume boost, my MX88's output is still low relative to all of my other boards but it's workable for live gigs as long as I accommodate accordingly. FWIW... In addition to the MX88, I currently have Kurz SP4-7, Roland RD300GX, Hammond SK1/2, Nord 5d, and Casio PX330 boards and they all have noticeably hotter outputs.

Based on a couple of earlier posts in this thread, it sounds like the MODX has addressed this issue by having an option to boost output volume by up to 12db which should be plenty for live use. I'll download the manual and verify because the MODX8 or 7(?) ticks all of my boxes for a bottom board below either my Hammond SK1 or Nord 5d.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I went with +6dB on my MODX7. haven't tried in live gig situation yet, but I'm getting strong (rock n roll) output to headphones at volume knob at 50% or less.

Agree with prior observer that the placement and knob for volume is not ideal. I preferred a slider and prefer it lower nearer the keys. There are other knobs I'd put up there that I don't use as much as main volume knob.

niggles, i'll get used to it. love this board so far!

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

The essence of a Montage 8 (for me, anyway) for less than half the price and weight?! I've been saving for the Montage 8, but this could shorten my saving time. :love::drool: I just wonder if the difference in DAC converters mentioned earlier makes a noticeable difference in the sound quality. That would be the only reason to keep saving, IMO.

Okay, I was In St. Louis Saturday and got a chance to dig into a MODX8 for a while. Actually, two stores had one set up. One had it set up with the mono output plugged into a Roland KC amp... :sick: Somehow it still managed to sound good enough to keep me intrigued for a while. :keys2: The other store had one set up properly through a pair of Yamaha HS8 speakers, but still didnt have a foot pedal set up to control the superknob. Needless to say, this one was much more enjoyable to play. :)

Anyway...long story short, Ive concluded there will definitely be a MODX8 in my near future. :cool: The weighted keys feel just fine, and Ill forgive the lack of aftertouch since I rarely use it with weighted keys, anyway. The sounds were stellar once I heard them through proper speakers. If theres a difference in sound quality between this and the big daddy Montage, I couldnt hear it. :love: Even without the extra buttons I had no problem finding my way around the sounds using the big touchscreen. Although the framework was lightweight plastic, it felt solid. Not at all fragile or flimsy, but I guess time will tell how durable it proves to be.

Nice job, Yamaha! :2thu: Now I just have to figure out what Im going to do with the $2K Ill be saving! :laugh:

><>

Steve

One thing Im noticing is a few Parts (Voices) in Performances I transferred over from MOXF are slightly clipping. Need to drop the Part vol level, but that means adjusting all other parts an equal amount. As I try to set all Performances at the correct gig volume level that means adjust not just Parts in 1 Perf, but every Perf. Ugh ... one mistake i made originally in XF (carried to MOXF) was set some parts too hot in order to get stronger L/R output. Turns out thats not the best place to fix fundamental gain deficiency lol :). Im living, im learning ...

OT: Another odd thing i noticed is the first Part in a transferred Performance is named the name of the Perf, not the Voice in part 1. Remaining Parts 2, 3, 4 bring over the Voice name, but not Part 1. Weird ... not that it matters much but ... weird.