Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2954248 - 10/23/18 11:04 AM Playing 6th Chords
DocPate Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Forgive me if this has been discussed, but didn't show up in search:

How many play 6th chords? In playing my lap steel tuned to c6, it made me think about playing rhythm guitar 6th chords. Not a chord that readily comes to mind but one that adds a lot of flavor to the ending of a song. I think one of the Beatles tunes used the 6th at the end.

Really easy to understand, just add the 6th note to a major or minor chord to get the sound.

https://www.scales-chords.com/chord/guitar/CMaj6

GP Island
#2954261 - 10/23/18 12:06 PM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: DocPate]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Yes. I use 6ths a lot. I use it in chord substitutions also. A C6 is the same notes as a Am7. But I'm a piano player and we do a lot of things with spread voicings due to the wide ranges we can play due to the nature of the instrument.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2954262 - 10/23/18 12:17 PM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: CEB]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Sure, 6ths as well as 9ths all the time.

#2954276 - 10/23/18 01:17 PM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I'm a big time fan of the 6th chord and use them a ton while playing country, country rock and rockabilly. I get a kind of steel guitar and a little horn section sound out of them while playing rhythm guitar. I actually play a 13th as I do not omit the flat 7. I blame Scotty Moore for this LOL! +1 the same goes for the 9ths, I'm an abuser! cool

#2954299 - 10/23/18 04:21 PM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
The 6th is sorta a sub 3rd & also relates to minor chords, the relative minor being based on the 6th.

One easy way too put them in is to simply barre across the top 4 strings, making an "A chord" shape w/ the top string being the 6th.
The 2nd easiest is the 4 string "F chord" shape, where it can be added on the 2nd string just above the 5 (obviously rolleyes)
Both those positions also allow for convenience in adding them to single note lines.

It's also, of course, a defining feature of boogie woogie basslines.
Originally Posted By: DocPate
I think one of the Beatles tunes used the 6th at the end.

As far as that, yer prolly thinking "She Loves You".
The story is Martin tried to talk 'em out of it as too corny.

Here it tempers the ending to the refrain's earlier iterations.

#2954341 - 10/23/18 10:44 PM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: DocPate]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I've enjoyed playing in Open-G6 (D G E G B D, Lo-To-Hi), it really brings out a Hawaiian and Western Swing flavor. And I'm sure that I've deployed various 6th and Added 6th chord voicings here and there; I tend to work out 'what I hear in my head' and figure out WHAT it is after the fact. Sometimes as /6 slash-chord voicings with the 6th in the bass (didn't Thelonious Monk use that a lot?), sometimes with the 6th popping-up in the middle or soprano/top voice.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2954344 - 10/24/18 04:08 AM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Seems I've been using 6th chords without really knowing what they were! wink

I just like the way they sounded(in certain applications) laugh
Whitefang

#2954420 - 10/24/18 01:50 PM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I use a minor 6th chord in my jazzy rendition of The Stormy Monday Blues. I started out with the Lee Michael's version, with his different turn around, and added some approach chords and added some between chords at the very end of the turn around and there is a minor 6th in there for one beat along with some; "God only knows" what some of the other chords names are that I use. cheers I also use that same chord form in my Emily By The Sea chord work which I wrote as my first lesson from Emily Remler in the modes. (The modes diatonic scale in Dorian mode that is) And I snatched some chord forms from watching Emily play in our lessons, but I never asked her what they were called.

Those chords are in this version of Emily By The Sea (The slow part that is) the uptempo part was just a sharped 5 turn around in a-minor which she played at one of our jams and I stopped her and got the progression and I still love playing that one.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=8789159
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2954511 - 10/25/18 08:33 AM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: desertbluesman]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I use 6th chords at certain times, especially the Ronnie Lee version, for the Jobim flavor. One of my earlier songs employs it in the bridge section, as a b5 modulation from the verses. It`s an airy, expansive feel.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2954513 - 10/25/18 08:37 AM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Thanks for those connections, DBM & Skip !
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I've enjoyed playing in Open-G6 (D G E G B D, Lo-To-Hi), it really brings out a Hawaiian and Western Swing flavor. And I'm sure that I've deployed various 6th and Added 6th chord voicings here and there; I tend to work out 'what I hear in my head' and figure out WHAT it is after the fact. Sometimes as /6 slash-chord voicings with the 6th in the bass (didn't Thelonious Monk use that a lot?), sometimes with the 6th popping-up in the middle or soprano/top voice.

A 6 in the bass, depending on what else was happening, might just make it sound like a relative minor sub.
Got a tip, Caev, on avoiding that ?

As far as Monk, sometimes his stuff's such a mix of chromaticism & sparceness that I'm not really sure what's going idk but her're are a few commentaries that may be worth study....
https://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/the-thelonious-monk-piano-style

https://music.stackexchange.com/question...and-charlie-par

https://academics.skidmore.edu/blogs/bgivan/files/2014/07/Givan-Monk-JM.pdf

http://www.academia.edu/34139830/Theloni...ositional_Style

I've only just collected those, not delved into them yet.
Call me on that in abt a year. rockit

Then there's this, a gtr/pno analysis of the Music of the Sphere (Monk's middle name was Sphere grin )

Perhaps more interesting (or productive) is...

#2954935 - 10/28/18 12:02 AM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

I really like a simple G6 Dobro tuning I use. Most of what I play is standard open G Bluegrass Dobro ( G D B G D B ). But I replace the .56 low string with a phosphorus bronze .58 and drop the low G to drop E. It gives me full minor grips and some really cool voicings on tap.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2954986 - 10/28/18 08:10 AM Re: Playing 6th Chords [Re: CEB]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
+1 on the Drop E in G tuning for Dobro...I've seen a lot of guys on YouTube using it and going back to G B D G B D low to high. For some fun, I like to flat the two B's and play in the minor tuning. cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose