Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2954635 - 10/26/18 05:11 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: whitefang]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I have read that Jimi really took all that flying saucer stuff very seriously indeed.

At any rate, he left behind some great music, and expanded peoples' concepts of what could be done with an electric guitar and with rock music. A very creative mind.

Unfortunately, in the minds of many people, it was more about his IMAGE than his MUSIC, i.e., what he actually played and wrote. But I'm sure that's true of all "stars", LOL.

GP Island
#2954651 - 10/26/18 07:06 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: Eric Iverson]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
I

Unfortunately, in the minds of many people, it was more about his IMAGE than his MUSIC, i.e., what he actually played and wrote. But I'm sure that's true of all "stars", LOL.

I doubt Jimi gaveashit about 'pleasing' everyone. He was a creative, flamboyant, and expressive artist.

If anybody wants to define Jimi as a more contrived image than a genuine artist, is totally missing the point. Some folks will never get it.

#2954786 - 10/26/18 07:59 PM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: whitefang]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: whitefang
grin
I'll bet if(when you got it) you cranked up the first track on AXIS: Bold As Love, they might HAVE thought an alien spaceship was landing in the living room! wink

I'd have posted the track if I could remember how.... blush
Whitefang

By the time I got the AXIS album I had my own stereo in the basement, which was good because the bar, pool table, a television and fireplace were all there. Excellent planning on my part.

#2954806 - 10/27/18 04:35 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: Delta]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
ACK!

I didn't get my OWN stereo( and one worth listening to) until I was about 30 ('81, a BANG & OLEFSUN set-up) and then could finally hear all that great stuff in my old Hendrix LPs that I'd been missing out on all those years. wink My first couple of "sound systems" were cheap, ragged sounding things due to my money going to things like clothes, food and such for the baby, and saving for a down payment for a house..... wink

Whitefang

#2954838 - 10/27/18 10:01 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: d
BTW...Scott, whats this mean ?
#9!

It's a sharp ninth, the "Hendrix chord" as we called it before we got schooled. You wrote b9.

facepalm
Oh, man I should've seen that !

#2954842 - 10/27/18 10:33 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
BTW...Scott, whats this mean ?
#9!

It's a sharp ninth, the "Hendrix chord" as we called it before we got schooled. You wrote b9.

facepalm
Oh, man I should've seen that !

D'oh!
In high school (before we knew any better) we alternatively called it the Hendrix chord or a Major/Minor chord, not knowing it was a well known staple of jazz harmony long before Hendrix got his hands on it.
I tried it as a b9. That's a pretty interesting color too, but would never have made Purple Haze & Foxy Lady the snarling, aggressive blows against pop mediocrity that they were. A variation I use a lot in free improv applications is the maj7#9 voicing. Much more unsettled & dissonant.

#2954870 - 10/27/18 02:37 PM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just on the face of it, many Hendrix tunes seek escape.

& THE MAN HIMSELF

Just finished 1st read-through of JIMI HENDRRIX, STARTING AT ZERO a 2013 compendium of quotes from JH collated by Alan Douglas, renown producer & associate of JH, along w/the lesser-known Brit documentary filmmaker Peter Neal who worked w/JH in the v. early days of his major career breakthrough in England.
The title of their book derives frrom a statement JH made in an early press release: "I was born in Seattle, USA, November 27, 1942 at the age of zero." roll

Here are some quotes they attribute to JH...
In school I liked poetry & painting scenes on other planets; Summer Afternoon on Venus, & like that.

My ambition ? To hit the blues scene on Venus.
My ambitions change 100 times everyday. You never know what shape the clouds will be til you see them.
Right now I'm saying goodbye to you & getting in a limo to the airport.
When I go out the door, this'll be over. & maybe I'll write a song abt it. Thanks.

I can't help isolating myself from the world; sometimes I just want to be left alone.

When I'm playing I'm on a rocketship---don't know where I'm going but you can come with me !
---------------------------------------
2 years after his early phenomenal success JH found himself in several traps.
Chandler, fed up w/what he considered endless doodling recording ELECTRIC LANDLADY grin had sold out to Mike Jeffery, leaving JH in the hands of a man considered quite avaricious.
JH also got caught in legal action by a small time NYC producer who sued over a flimsy but legal contract he'd signed while an impoverished club musician, costing his current record companies & his own operation considerable money at the same time he was planning to build a state of the art studio in NYC.
Most of 1969 was spent in a whirlwind of touring to pay for all that [at the time JH was prolly the highest paid entertainer in the world, getting $90K + per gig].
Then he got arrested spring of 1969 entering Canada & faced a v. serious trial.
Luckily he was acquitted but that wasn't til December of 69 & the stress must've been incredible through out the year.
Early 1970, at a major benefit concert at Mad Square Garden, he literally just collapsed onstage, ending the original Band of Gypsys.
Then a few months later, his oldest friend, bassist Billy Cox, got doed w/ drugs in Germany & had a mental breakdown.
JH had to send him home to his family while wondering what his caeer was actually doing to him & those around him.
He apparently started trying to re-engage Chas Chandler as mgr & dis-engage from Jeffry in the week before his death.
------------------------------------------
Some like to imagine that he developed a fatalistic attitude & maybe even intended his own demise.
I don't think so.

Here's some more from the book quoted above....

"My initial success was a step in the right direction but only a step.
I'd like to take a 6 month break & go to music school.
I want a big expansion, a big band to write for...to paint pictures of Earth & space, even greater than Holst's PLANETS.
When our last tour ended, I just wanted to go away & forget everything.
Then I started thing...thinking about the future...that the era of music kicked off by The Beatles has ended & something new has to come...& Jimi Hendrix will be there."

cool wave

#2954951 - 10/28/18 04:44 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Couldn't help but humorously think, when reading about all this "B9" stuff...

Well, based on ONE definition, music WAS pretty much getting benign until Jimi came along! laugh

And IMHO----

Trying to define what made him so "great" is like trying to analyze why CHOCOLATE tastes so good. Despite millions of people who just LOVE chocolate, I still know plenty of people who can't stand it. Figure THAT out, and there's your key into understanding why many people( though plenty of others didn't then and now) love/loved Jimi's music. wink And too.....

What became of all those FROGS in science class once you got through dissecting THEM? wink
Whitefang

#2955137 - 10/29/18 07:42 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: d]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just on the face of it, many Hendrix tunes seek escape.

I enjoyed this version of MD- that middle blues break is good stuff.

Excellent live recording of Freedom. These days, I appreciate good quality
recordings of Jimi Live.

Thanks !

#2955265 - 10/29/18 03:48 PM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: GregC]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not that much JH generally available on YT or other free sources.
His estate watches the (c) material v.closely so, as w/PRN, it's mostly covers or live stuff.

#2955350 - 10/30/18 04:43 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Yeah, his estate shoulda kept a closer eye out and avoided that suck-ass clip of "Manic Depression" you posted from being available. sick
All the other clips were pretty good. Enjoyed all that early '70's footage of Detroit in that Pretenders clip. wink
Whitefang

#2955368 - 10/30/18 06:40 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: d]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not that much JH generally available on YT or other free sources.
His estate watches the (c) material v.closely so, as w/PRN, it's mostly covers or live stuff.

I recall the legal fight over Jimi's estate. Here's more;
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6663933/jimi-hendrix-family-settles-estate-dispute

And that might explain the aggressive scrutiny on leaking material on YT.

Bowie's estate scrutinizes YT and other digital music sites. I did a 1 man band cover
of an obscure Bowie song and it got deleted in 1 minute. Disappeared like an ice
cube on a blast furnace.

#2955375 - 10/30/18 07:31 AM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: whitefang]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And IMHO----

Trying to define what made him so "great" is like trying to analyze why CHOCOLATE tastes so good. Despite millions of people who just LOVE chocolate, I still know plenty of people who can't stand it. Figure THAT out, and there's your key into understanding why many people( though plenty of others didn't then and now) love/loved Jimi's music. wink And too.....

Whitefang

Jimi was outrageous, innovative, engaging and creative. A long list of superlatives.

I think your post is getting to 'what ' is popular and ' why ' someone becomes popular
( which is a million dollar question].

To clarify, its not strictly 1 way or no way. There are degrees of popular . Jimi didn't require everyone aged 16 yrs old to 24 yrs( of music fans] old to follow him.

IOW, a musician or artist does not require an entire demographic to become 'popular'.
I think we all know this. Taking a stab- if a new artist captures 5% of the music listeners
in a demographic, its probably a big deal.

I don't believe its possible to please everyone. It seems impossible, anyway.

#2955523 - 10/30/18 04:50 PM Re: What Jimi Hendrix teaches us about escapism. [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, his estate shoulda kept a closer eye out and avoided that suck-ass clip of "Manic Depression" you posted from being available. sick

idk ?!
While I woulda preferred to stick w/a JH version, I thought that was OK...but they couldn't touch that anyway since it
[1] wasn't part of the JH rec catalog &
[2] they'd already signed off on it for that tribute project

Here's a few other options...uh, pick one... grin facepalm

A very, uh, clinical version

Rockier but sorta sloppy

Prog rock onslaught

Relatively unknown English woman whips my head around for a few moments then overstays her welcome

The most unlikely cover version

...that is until y'hear this

Mr Geoffrey Arnold Beck saves the day
triple play = Little Wing, Foxy Lady & Manic Depression

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose