Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential Prophet XL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only real difference from the Prophet X is the 76-key TP8/Piano keybed instead of the original 61-key TP9/s. Otherwise its just new firmware that will be made available to owners of the earlier model. Both models should be available going forward to offer a choice of actions.

I had a chance to get some hands-on time a couple of weeks back, which came as a complete surprise at the time. There were a couple of other new features in the firmware I saw, as alluded to in the Sound on Sound article, so presumably Sequential will have a more complete announcement coming when theyre good and ready.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

The only real difference from the Prophet X is the 76-key TP8/Piano keybed instead of the original 61-key TP9/s. Otherwise its just new firmware that will be made available to owners of the earlier model. Both models should be available going forward to offer a choice of actions.

I had a chance to get some hands-on time a couple of weeks back, which came as a complete surprise at the time. There were a couple of other new features in the firmware I saw, as alluded to in the Sound on Sound article, so presumably Sequential will have a more complete announcement coming when theyre good and ready.

Thanks LG - always appreciate your insight.

I thought you were joking... for me this is a suprise. Dont understand and upgrade so soon.

Whats there to understand?

Its a hammer action 76 key version...

The 61 orriginal version will get the same features trough a software update

So same instrument, different keybed...

thats all..

32 voices mono poly is still not enough for a sample based engine to replace a stage piano, and thats where they are aiming at in my opinion...

I wish it was semi-weighted, that would have been perfect.

My personal preference is for a great semi-weighted keyboard or a full on piano action. Attempts to blur the lines rarely appeal to me but obviously there are those who feel differently. Im quite curious about how this will be received because its the first 76-key instrument from the modern incarnation of Sequential. Quite the departure for them.

Sound On Sound article now offline, lol

In what sense? The November issue still shows on their site, available for purchase presumably with the article intact. The preview video is also still there, complete with the XL picture at 0:27.

Sound On Sound article now offline, lol

In what sense? The November issue still shows on their site, available for purchase presumably with the article intact. The preview video is also still there, complete with the XL picture at 0:27.

It's been up and down for the past several hours, and reported by others - not just me.

Now it's up again, in a preview-only state

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sequential-prophet-x

I thought you were joking... for me this is a suprise. Dont understand and upgrade so soon.

Whats there to understand?

Its a hammer action 76 key version...

The 61 orriginal version will get the same features trough a software update

So same instrument, different keybed...

thats all..

32 voices mono poly is still not enough for a sample based engine to replace a stage pianio, and thats where they are aiming at in my opinion...

I didnt realize at the time of writing the 32 voices mode was just a software upgrade. I thought this version had different hardware as well. That caused my confusion.

Rudy

I didnt realize at the time of writing the 32 voices mode was just a software upgrade. I thought this version had different hardware as well. That caused my confusion.

I'm guessing the firmware upgrade only turns the 16 Voice version into 32 voice. I'm not sure if it doubles the 8 voice version to 16 as well. Also I wonder if the XL is even available with half the max voice count.

OK back to my 4 voice PEK where life is so much simpler. :steve:

I'm guessing the firmware upgrade only turns the 16 Voice version into 32 voice. I'm not sure if it doubles the 8 voice version to 16 as well. Also I wonder if the XL is even available with half the max voice count.

There's only one version of the Prophet X hardware. Any preset can be toggled between 8 stereo voices and 16 mono voices.

Sequential has described the upcoming 32 voice mode as paraphonic mono voices that use only one oscillator and one instrument each, essentially cutting each of the 16 mono voices in half and eliminating the per-voice filter in favor of sharing filters. Presumably these are a different kind of preset altogether, though I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

There's only one version of the Prophet X hardware. Any preset can be toggled between 8 stereo voices and 16 mono voices.

Ah of course :facepalm:. I was thinking Rev 2. These models are being released faster than my anti-aliasing filter can handle. :freak:

I wish it was semi-weighted, that would have been perfect.

It is, as per DSI/Sequential's latest Instagram post.

Introducing the Prophet XL synthesizer from Sequential!

The Prophet XL, a 76-key version of our flagship Prophet X samples-plus-synthesis hybrid synth. The new instrument provides the same powerful combination of high-fidelity samples from 8Dio and full synthesis capabilities, but makes the concept even more compelling for studio and stage by adding a semi-weighted-action, 76-key, premium-quality Fatar keybed and a new performance mode that allows 32-voice polyphony when using a single sampled instrument and a single oscillator.

Visit our website for more details!

That's funny, I don't know if it's the form factor/number of keys factor, it's the same synth but for a 61 keys synth my first feeling was that it's too expensive for me, my "Used" prophet 12 at 2700 CAN$ was the Max for me....As a synth ....But when I see it, maybe my brain looks at it more like a "controller" and put it in the Nord Stage price range so, it appeals to me way more....I don't have that kind of early push back reaction that I had with the 61 notes....I feel, whoooo, so cool, I like it so much....even knowing that the price will be higher....Way more than the new Moog One...
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Both the X and XL exhibit a truly new way to combine synthesis with sample manipulaton.

They are NOTHING like the Moog One nor is the Moog One anything like the X/XL.

Apples and oranges as they say.

and 3999/4399 isnt THAT far from 5999

enjoy them each for what they are

and ANY instrument is only as limited as YOU are or arent

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

15 keys plus a different action that increases shipping size, weight, and in all likelihood requires more investment in case rigidity. The TP8 action has historically been something of a premium over the TP9 with the fulcrum set further back under each key, and presumably the TP8/Piano is another premium over the TP8/s. Whether these differences are worthwhile comes down to individual taste but I'm not surprised there's a corresponding bump in price.

Personally, I've rarely been wild about half-measures. The fast, light action on the Prophet X makes a good complement to the more hammer-like TP/40L action in my Forte. I don't feel the need for something in between, though I'm sure I'd think about it differently if I were a gigging musician.

I am really looking forward to the firmware update for my unit which will presumably be out about the same time. Has anyone heard shipping estimates for the XL?

15 keys plus a different action that increases shipping size, weight, and in all likelihood requires more investment in case rigidity. The TP8 action has historically been something of a premium over the TP9 with the fulcrum set further back under each key, and presumably the TP8/Piano is another premium over the TP8/s. Whether these differences are worthwhile comes down to individual taste but I'm not surprised there's a corresponding bump in price.

Personally, I've rarely been wild about half-measures. The fast, light action on the Prophet X makes a good complement to the more hammer-like TP/40L action in my Forte. I don't feel the need for something in between, though I'm sure I'd think about it differently if I were a gigging musician.

I am really looking forward to the firmware update for my unit which will presumably be out about the same time. Has anyone heard shipping estimates for the XL?

With the very practical ways you described the Prophet X and helped us a lot to understand what it is, I would have never bet that you WERE NOT a gigging musician...not saying that just giging musicians are only the one who are looking for practicality/easier ways to do stuff/lower weights etc but my brain was putting you on a stage in front of the Forte and the Prophet X...

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

With the very practical ways you described the Prophet X and helped us a lot to understand what it is, I would have never bet that you WERE NOT a gigging musician...not saying that just giging musicians are only the one who are looking for practicality/easier ways to do stuff/lower weights etc but my brain was putting you on a stage in front of the Forte and the Prophet X...

Empathy, communication, and seeing the practical potential of technology are among the things Im really good at. Putting myself in front of an audience to perform, on the other hand? No, that sounds positively terrifying and Im in awe of those who do so on a regular basis. Not that I havent put myself in the spotlight in front of thousands of people before, but thats speaking about technology which is more my comfort zone.

When it comes to music, Im an enthusiastic hack with a fair bit of knowledge, passion and expensive taste. Some year I hope to have a lot more time to devote to the pursuit.

...Yet they gave the Prophet 6 only 49 keys... :(

True. The P6 KB should have been a 61er.

But, it's really not a deal-breaker after dialing up that sound on the P6 and laying hands on it. Pure bliss. :love::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

But, it's really not a deal-breaker after dialing up that sound on the P6 and laying hands on it. Pure bliss. :love::cool:

OT (again)

This. :thu:

I've watched/heard Prof D play his Prophet 6 at the Mid Atlantic Forum hang this past summer. I have also seen Justin Stanton play one while touring with Snarky Puppy, and have seen Cory Henry play one while touring with The Funk Apostles. None of these 3 seemed frustrated about the keyboard being one octave shorter than the origional.

:nopity:

OT (again)

This. :thu:

I've watched/heard Prof D play his Prophet 6 at the Mid Atlantic Forum hang this past summer. I have also seen Justin Stanton play one while touring with Snarky Puppy, and have seen Cory Henry play one while touring with The Funk Apostles. None of these 3 seemed frustrated about the keyboard being one octave shorter than the origional.

+1