Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2953858 - 10/20/18 02:15 PM John Scofield 2018 / COMBO 66
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Featured in Nov DownBeat / John Scofield

Itís November 1982, and 30-year-old John Scofield is in Cleveland to audition for Miles Davisí group. The Man With The Horn was released the previous year and guitarist Mike Stern is still on the bandstand, but Davis has heard about a hot-shot guitarist from Connecticut.
JS, 8 yrs into his career, has driven up, at Miles's request, to audition.
His hands are cold. His gtr is cold & just beginning to warm in the room but Miles is abt to go onstage & he's ready to hear him now.
Scofield starts to play "Nardis", a Davis composition from 25 yrs ago.
One eyebrow goes up...then the pronouncement, "You don't sound so good. Listen to the band tonight"
JS sticks around to hear the band.
After, Miles tells him, "Here's per diem for tonight, you start tomorrow." grin
---------
Here's a taste for y'all can't get to DBeat

Now it's 2K18 & a new album, COMBO 66 (JS is 66 yrs old) is rolling at us. He's been rolling 'em out 1 every year for the last 2 decades +.
Current band = longtime drummer Bill Stewart, Vince Archer, URB, & Gerald Clayton, kb)

Here's a warmup (& I do mean warmup ! rawk ) w/Dixie Dregs's Steve Morse & Warren Haynes
3-12-2018 Capitol Theater, Port Chester, NY

Here's the current band (longtime drummer Bill Stewart, URB Vince Archer & Gerald Clayton kb)

Here, they walk the Earth

For those seeking something a bit more soothing, here's one of the most beautiful interpretations of a song I've ever heard

& a live version

GP Island
#2953917 - 10/21/18 04:30 AM Re: John Scofield 2018 / COMBO 66 [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Scofield's always nice to hear.
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose