Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2953764 - 10/19/18 11:38 PM Schecter revved their Bass-VI again in 2017: major changes
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/hellcat-vi-1-detail

Spot the differences (practically everything, this time around!)

https://www.schecterguitars.com/vault/hellcat-vi-detail

After thorough comparison, and finding two videos, I am sold on the new version, having never quite felt ready to take the chance on the previous rev, the Ultra-VI, or especially the first edition.

Gone are the Seymour Duncan Jaguar pickups. In their place are Schecter coil-split, and this is now the function of the three switches, with actual pickup combinations now more intuitively controlled by a Strat-style 5-way toggle.

Alder gave way to Swamp Ash, and the frets are now jumbo size. Strat-style volume and tone replace the previous "loose-style" indented metal knobs.

Fingerboard is Pau Ferro vs. Rosewood as the latter is now being phased out everywhere due to the CITES treaty. I like Pau Ferro better anyway as it is denser and thus closer to ebony -- especially good for lower-pitched instruments.

Based on the specs, the look, and the sound, I feel this is the best VI currently available. The Fender model is too weird, and the Squier model is more true-to-form but has major quality control issues with neck intonation and the like.

I may grab one of these the next time there's a sale.

BP Island
#2957158 - 11/09/18 08:50 PM Re: Schecter revved their Bass-VI again in 2017: major changes [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Bought it today, but it's at the warehouse in the Central Valley and should arrive by early next week. Took advantage of Veteran's Day sale.