Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One. The Polyphonic.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering who will be bringing a Moog One to the next MAKCFH. ;)

H8ll, if someone locally cops a Moog One, that will be reason enough to have a gathering. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Since this thread appears to be stalled I've been thinking about the name One and how it translates in different languages. Here's a list of One in several (cough) languages. I've paired up several of these with Moog and what it sounds like to me. Feel free to join me in adding some really valuable content to this thread while we await the user manual and first hand reports from forum members.

Afrikaans: Moog-Een: suggested baby name by expecting father who pre-ordered One.

Azerbaijani: Moog Bir - sounds like More Beer, ain't nobody going to tell you its overpriced.

Bosnian: Moog-Jedan: Moog religious fanatics

Catalan/Welsh: Moog'Un - Bob Marley's sequel to Jam'n

Danish: MoogEn: as in Guten Moogen - the morning after taking delivery

German: MoogEin - Albert Einstien's synth playing half brother

English: Moog One - a derivative of wtf

Take it away folks:

Spanish: uno

Estonian: üks

Basque: bat

Persian: یکی

Finnish: yksi

French: un

Irish: ceann amháin

Galician: un

Gujarati: એક

Hausa: daya

Hindi: एक

Hmong: one

Croatian: jedan

Haitian Creole: youn

Hungarian: egy

Armenian: մեկը

Indonesian: satu

Igbo: otu

Icelandic: einn

Italian: uno

Hebrew: אחד

Japanese: 1

Javanese: siji

Georgian: ერთი

Kazakh: бір

Khmer: មួយ

Kannada: ಒಂದು

Korean: 하나

Latin: one

Lao: ຫນຶ່ງ

Lithuanian: vienas

Latvian: vienu

Malagasy: iray

Maori: kotahi

Macedonian: еден

Malayalam: ഒന്ന്

Mongolian: нэг

Marathi: एक

Malay: satu

Maltese: waħda

Myanmar (Burmese): တစ်

Nepali: एक

Dutch: een

Norwegian: en

Chichewa: imodzi

Punjabi: ਇੱਕ

Polish: jeden

Portuguese: 1

Romanian: unu

Russian: один

Sinhala: එක

Slovak: jeden

Slovenian: eno

Somali: hal

Albanian: një

Serbian: један

Sesotho: ngoe

Sundanese: hiji

Swedish: ett

Swahili: moja

Tamil: ஒரு

Telugu: ఒకటి

Tajik: як

Thai: หนึ่ง

Filipino: isa

Turkish: bir

Ukrainian: один

Urdu: ایک

Uzbek: biri

Vietnamese: một

Yiddish: איינער

Yoruba: ọkan

Chinese: 一

Chinese (Simplified): 一

Chinese (Traditional): 一

Zulu: eyodwa

Take it away folks

Malagasy: Moog Iray-Jamaican feeling of joy.

Slovenian: Moog Eno-Brian's cousin.

Somali: Moog Hal-nothing shallow about these phat presets.

Swedish: Moog Ett-the cow cousin of a wingette.

Swahili: Moog Moja-Got her working now.

Zulu: Moog Eyodwa-Moogie Yoda. May the force be with the player.

Maybe the Moog One will be game-changer globally. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

When you insure your Moog One- and you must- will it be for the original retail price or the hunted-to-death prices five years from now on ebay and Reverb.com? Then there's the synth doctor fund, just like you need a vet fund if you're a dog/cat owner. Then there's the oak axe handle you need so you can shake it threatingly at anyone who gets too close to the Moog. Accessories!! :taz:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Shipping date pushed back, at least for me to the 29th. ;(

New thread title: Moog One shipping dates keep slipping...

Grey

PS: Just kidding. I doubt Moog will fall as far behind as Behringer (especially given the price differential).

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

The Moog One doesn't just sound BIG, it sounds HUGE.

The ultra FAT sounds are a big advantage, especially when playing traditionally "weaker" sounds that sound LAME on a VA or not so great on even on improved digital/analog Hybrids that are available.

The price is higher than other modern synths, but think about this:

In 1981 I bought a Prophet 5 Rev 3.2 that listed for $3999.00. In today's dollars, that would be $15,000. Yep. I did get a discount, but I was paying that synth off through a BANK LOAN.

The good new is, I still have it, it still works fine, and I never regretted buying it.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Moog One doesn't just sound BIG, it sounds HUGE.

The ultra FAT sounds are a big advantage, especially when playing traditionally "weaker" sounds that sound LAME on a VA or not so great on even on improved digital/analog Hybrids that are available.

The price is higher than other modern synths, but think about this:

In 1981 I bought a Prophet 5 Rev 3.2 that listed for $3999.00. In today's dollars, that would be $15,000. Yep. I did get a discount, but I was paying that synth off through a BANK LOAN.

The good new is, I still have it, it still works fine, and I never regretted buying it.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Mike, according to Wikipedia the list price actually went up to $4595 for the Rev 3's! It was $3995 for the earlier models. And if I recall correctly, bank loans during those years had quite high interest rates as well.....that must have been a steep payment.

The Moog One doesn't just sound BIG, it sounds HUGE. The ultra FAT sounds are a big advantage, especially when playing traditionally "weaker" sounds that sound LAME on a VA or not so great on even on improved digital/analog Hybrids that are available.
Have you actually had hands-on time with One? People are complaint over on GS that the videos sound less than great, though I am of the opinion that you really can't tell on Youtube what a synth really sounds like.

Mike, according to Wikipedia the list price actually went up to $4595 for the Rev 3's! It was $3995 for the earlier models. And if I recall correctly, bank loans during those years had quite high interest rates as well.....that must have been a steep payment.

You could be right, I only remember the 4k retail price back then. I had a good relationship with Dickstein Distributing in Scranton PA back in those days, and I got a great deal. Cash worked just as well back then as it does now.

Yep, it was a steep payment. Interest rates were off the charts. But I sucked it up. I don't remember the monthly payment I made, but I was playing decent paying gigs and used what I made to buy GEAR! I had an OBX that I had bought previous to the Prophet, so I was $ynth poor. No house payment, life is about choices!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Moog One doesn't just sound BIG, it sounds HUGE. The ultra FAT sounds are a big advantage, especially when playing traditionally "weaker" sounds that sound LAME on a VA or not so great on even on improved digital/analog Hybrids that are available.
Have you actually had hands-on time with One? People are complaint over on GS that the videos sound less than great, though I am of the opinion that you really can't tell on Youtube what a synth really sounds like.

No, I have not put my hands on the Moog One. Youtube videos over the Internet will only sound a good as my computer speakers that is not a real good audition by any measure. However I have compared the Moog to the latest Sequential demos, and the Moog sounded much bigger. So is the price tag.

That said, I am very impressed with the Prophet 6. Its like my P5 with modern features. It sounds very similar to mine, but I have not heard any dramatic filter sweeps like my old reliable synth can do. Its a small part of the sound, but an important one. Still love the Sequential sound, and I can't knock the price tag of their keyboards.

It will never need an upgrade with those cool waveform scopes.

Yeah, they do seem a little gimmicky at first but as long as they reflect the post modulation parameters they could prove interesting and even useful at times.

Boo :cry: ! Maybe only 6 people here care but these are not scopes as stated in today's live stream.

There was an old saying in the early days of the Micro Computer.

"Never buy version 1.0 of anything." That still applies to anything by Microsoft.

Any thoughts on sitting back and waiting for the Moog One OS to be debugged?

Mike T.

So how did that go? I'm curious about that Voyager OS. That is a sophisticated instrument.

I'm happy to see you're still above ground MC. The only thing that is older than me is dirt.

Mike T.

From version 1.0 and onward, no software problems in my Sig's 16 year life. Updating the OS by sysex hasn't ever been fun. (Is it B, A, C or B, C, A?) In whatever order the current directions have you load the files, the Sig asks for a different order. That'll make you squirm a little.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

This wait is killing me. What do you do after you have memorized all the videos and soundcloud files?

The manual is now available on line.

https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2018-10/Moog_One_Manual.pdf

Honestly after watching all the videos there was not much in there that was a revelation.

My One comes today!!!!!!

I plan on strapping it on like a Keytar and wearing it 24/7 for a while.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

The manual is now available on line.

"Warning: Do not place the One near any heat source or even a placard with the word "heat" printed on it. It's 45 lbs. That's more weight than you think. We don't care if you can bench 250, call a couple of friends to help you unbox it. Promise beer and pizza. Don't place the warm pizza near the One. Do not taunt the One."

This page intentionally left blank.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

****Crossposting from another message board****

Have unboxed, and set up, messed about for about an hour, and no recordings for now.

The major points:

1. It sounds amazing and is so malleable that when it does not, you can make it so.

2. Annoying when you switch presents with delay/verb still hanging on. This needs a bug fix, but for the time being, don't do that.

3. Fan noise after the initial boot up is not bad for me. Quieter than a computer, a DeepMind, or background noise of a guitar amp turned up loud.

4. Gain staging is supremely important, in a good way.

5. Took one of my go to OB6 patches, just because it happened to be sitting within arms length, and tried, with limited success, to match it. Suddenly got much closer when I played with the envelope attach curve. This is potent. Ultimately found a Moog preset with OB in the name that was in the same ballpark, tweaked that, and got a little closer. Still, that particular OB6 patch makes my big toe shoot up in my boot, to quote Little Richard.

6. The oscillators definitely do not, without assistance, jump out of the speakers crackling with life like those of a Model D or some vintage VCO's. They are however, to put it in a good light, classy and rich. Also versatile, and with the waveform shaping and mixing, capable of a huge variety of tones. They are more lively with no modulation tricks than say, the digital oscillators of a Pro-2, or the DCO's of a Juno ( or DM12 as a contemporary example). One of my next moves will be to use a boost pedal with a little bit of "hair" on it on an insert with the filter wide open, and bring it into the external input of another "synth" to drive the filter a bit more, and to see how Minimoogy it can get. I will also similarly experiment with using my Voyager oscillators with the slew rate mod triggered via midi into an external input mostly for my own edification as an A/B. Will do same with the OB6 or Prophet 6.

In a short time, what I know it can do is to be an absolutely brilliant and deep polysynth. In my mind it is the polyphonic love child of a Pro-2 and a Voyager, but with both of their best features, and better looking and more successful than its parents. I did most of my little bit of tweaking sans effects, but I'd pop them on to mess with them, and they are wonderful. It can cover a lot of ground. A string sound with the ensemble effect sounds pretty great. A fat but clean bass - pretty great. Pillowy OB type sound - great. Still working on a screaming lead where one note will raise the hairs on your arms. Think I can get there. But where this will really shine is not covering for other instruments but exploring what is uniquely the Moog One, and that is by far the most exciting thing.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard