Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One. The Polyphonic.

My VAX77 is the studio keyboard. It sits on my music desk to drive the composition rig. I like the flat top - I have computer keyboards, a mouse and a fader box on top of it. I used to play it live - great with Pianoteq. But it lives in the studio now. It was great to set up and tear down. I'd prefer something with a better piano action for pianos, but it works great for what I use it for and I've gotten my $$ out of it many times over at this point. I can't say I use the PolyAT that much. Even the cheap Seaboard Block has much better control. Someday I will get a Haken Continuum - that's the "fine art" instrument in the PolyAT game - but not much (anything) like a piano!

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations.

We all hate you.

Nonsense! Some of us just want to be invited over for Thanksgiving.

I'll bring the beverages. :laugh:

http://www.merchantduvin.com/images/i-lindemans-family-2018.png

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

My VAX77 is the studio keyboard. It sits on my music desk to drive the composition rig. I like the flat top - I have computer keyboards, a mouse and a fader box on top of it. I used to play it live - great with Pianoteq. But it lives in the studio now. It was great to set up and tear down. I'd prefer something with a better piano action for pianos, but it works great for what I use it for and I've gotten my $$ out of it many times over at this point. I can't say I use the PolyAT that much. Even the cheap Seaboard Block has much better control. Someday I will get a Haken Continuum - that's the "fine art" instrument in the PolyAT game - but not much (anything) like a piano!

Mine also lives in the studio, I have never folded it since it arrived. The second revision included an option for an "Ultra Heavy" touch, which works much better for playing piano (I also use Pianoteq). The PolyAT is adjustable in the Firmware, I have mine set so that it requires a little bit more effort, and there is a slight lag in the updating of pressure messages- it makes it nice and smooth, and very controllable- I am extremely happy with it. In contrast, most other polyAT keyboards I have played (including my GEM S3) had a touch I consider a bit too light. Personally I consider the VAX77 PolyAT almost equal to the Kurzweil MIDIBoard, and certainly better than anything else out there. The Roli stuff I don't like at all- like playing a sponge. The Haken Continuum is interesting, but I prefer an actual keyboard.

16 voices, hate on! :w00t:

Congrats !!!

Please keep us informed.

Warmup time, tuning stability, auto-tune speed,- also if auto tune routine can be recalled via MIDI,- fan noise too.

Maybe it gets hotter w/ 16 voices vs 8.

I remember the fastest MIDI recallable auto-tune routine was in my MKS80 rev4.

It made it usable live even it needed about 30min warmup time until it was stable.

:)

A.C.

"I think a Blofeld would be a good companion synth to do the digital waveforms that the Moog won't. Costs much less too..."

You might also consider taking a look at the Novation Peak for some digital sheen.

They're great little boxes the Blofeld's bought one for my old 80's project...I found being able to run filters in series is unbelievably powerful in creating sounds and textures which you can do with both the Moog One and Blofeld...

Alot of the Moog One features remind me of the my old OB Expander (Matrix 12). Which I would spend hours with . . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Great guy to review parameters which I was unaware of.

Looping EGs is like Townsends Baba OReilly intro.

This thing has me feverish.

Guess its time to start scratching around for money.

So glad he didnt bathe everything in FX like many of the demos.

Gotta have 16 voices.

Wish there was a rack.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

"This thing doesn't have program numbers. The sounds aren't assigned to a specific spot. The sounds just live in the machine." (44:30)

I'm not sure how this works. Does the Moog One respond to program change commands? I imagine Moog has thought this through, but it may involve a workflow that's different than what we're used to.

"This thing doesn't have program numbers. The sounds aren't assigned to a specific spot. The sounds just live in the machine." (44:30)

I'm not sure how this works. Does the Moog One respond to program change commands? I imagine Moog has thought this through, but it may involve a workflow that's different than what we're used to.

You gotta have presets of some kind?

I use the Code 8 and SE-02 with very few presets.

But you need certain structures to at least start with.

Being multitimbral I cant see how this synth could not have recall, especially for multis.

Damn, you just dusted my high..

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

You gotta have presets of some kind?

I use the Code 8 and SE-02 with very few presets.

But you need certain structures to at least start with.

Being multitimbral I cant see how this synth could not have recall, especially for multis.

Damn, you just dusted my high..

There are program banks you can assign sounds to, saw it in another video but forget which one. Look at the front panel and you have "Performance Set" on the lower right. A-H and 1-8. I assume those are easy to access via MIDI.

That sounds really good to me. I'd like to save a patch without thinking, "74... was that any good? I can't remember. Oh well, bye bye."

It was demonstrated in one of the streams. 8 banks of 8 one touch presets on the panel.

Scroll thru your screen full of library patches or search by type, mood, etc. Select the synth patch in the screen, then hold down a preset button for a couple seconds to assign - like saving a FM radio preset in a car.

Moe

---

I don't know if anyone would buy this synthesizer and use it for gigs. WAY too expensive to risk wear and tear moving it around, or worse, damaged or stolen.

That said, there are those of us that did take one-night stand gigs and needed our full compliment of equipment.

Presets are mandatory for any live show. Press a preset button and go. We don't have the luxury of time looking for sounds when planted on stage. One song after the other keeps the crowd under control and on the dance floor.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I don't know if anyone would buy this synthesizer and use it for gigs.

:wave:

WAY too expensive to risk wear and tear moving it around, or worse, damaged

That's what Anvil cases are for. Carried my Memorymoog in an Anvil case since 1986 and it still looks great.

or stolen.

It weighs 45 lbs, as much as the Memorymoog. 90% of thefts are the work of one person. They target things that are light and easily concealed during the flight to their getaway car. Moog One is deeper than a MM so it is a bulky item. Thus thieves are going to prefer easier targets like guitars and microphones over a bulky 45lb keyboard.

And inside an Anvil case, no one knows what it is by peeking in a vehicle. Out of sight, out of mind. And don't plaster them with names of your favorite gear, they literally say STEAL ME.

Presets are mandatory for any live show. Press a preset button and go. We don't have the luxury of time looking for sounds when planted on stage. One song after the other keeps the crowd under control and on the dance floor.

That's why you learn an instrument. You know - PRACTICE? I memorized where all my sounds are on my keyboards and can punch them up quickly and go.

I don't know if anyone would buy this synthesizer and use it for gigs.

:wave:

WAY too expensive to risk wear and tear moving it around, or worse, damaged

That's what Anvil cases are for. Carried my Memorymoog in an Anvil case since 1986 and it still looks great.

Also: insurance.

or stolen.

It weighs 45 lbs, as much as the Memorymoog. 90% of thefts are the work of one person. They target things that are light and easily concealed during the flight to their getaway car. Moog One is deeper than a MM so it is a bulky item. Thus thieves are going to prefer easier targets like guitars and microphones over a bulky 45lb keyboard.

And inside an Anvil case, no one knows what it is by peeking in a vehicle. Out of sight, out of mind. And don't plaster them with names of your favorite gear, they literally say STEAL ME.

Somebody broke into our van and stole my KX88 in its Anvil case. A fucking KX88. With the case, that was like 60 kilos, for not much money.

That's why you learn an instrument. You know - PRACTICE? I memorized where all my sounds are on my keyboards and can punch them up quickly and go.

Yep. If you're hunting, IMO you're haven't prepared well enough, either yourself or your gear.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Somebody broke into our van and stole my KX88 in its Anvil case. A fucking KX88. With the case, that was like 60 kilos, for not much money.

I love mine, currently it's again my primary 88 controller.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Don't be such a smart ass. I know my instruments. With the amount of editing/saving/storing available on today's instruments AND the number of songs I play it is a lot more complicated than learning a rinky dink instruments in the old days.

The editing capabilities on my Motif ES8 even back then were extensive. I saved sounds to the 16 track sequencer and could edit the sounds in each track and save it without changing the original sound.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Don't be such a smart ass. I know my instruments. With the amount of editing/saving/storing available on today's instruments AND the number of songs I play it is a lot more complicated than learning a rinky dink instruments in the old days.

Ever hear of grouping? You know, arrange string patches in patch number x1 (IE #11, #21, #31, etc), horns in x2, pads in x3, FX in x4, lead solos in x5... That's the convention I use for all my keyboards.

Try to help a fellow musician and the thanks I get is being called a smart ass.

You weren't trying to help. I have hundreds of sounds on my Motif, I have them saved in groups too. I Also have different combos that have variations that are nuance changes that are different than the factory patch. I also have Sets stored on USB sticks that include an entire one hour long set of sequenced songs that can be played back in whatever order I want, depending on what the audience wants to hear.

One of the advantages of computers is that it stores by category and saves them for us in an order that we can retrieve. Over the years, the amount of stored data is huge. I do not over-tax my own memory for capabilities the computer has on board. Same thing applies to modern keyboards.

I load a set, select a song, and play. The work was done at home in my music room, and its all there once I load it into my Motif. I'm organized and it works at crunch time.

Mike T.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder how some of you people navigate through daily life. :facepalm:

PRESETS AND PERFORMANCE SETS

A Moog One preset is a self contained creative environment, saving the parameter settings for all 3 layers of timbrality, along with all of their respective sequencer, arpeggiator, and modulation settings. Moog One has the ability to store and recall tens of thousands of presets that can easily be categorized, edited, notated, and even shared via USB drive. Up to 64 Presets can also be loaded to Moog Ones Performance Set module, where they are instantly selectable via a front panel Bank / Preset button configurationa must for live performance and sessions.

Common sense has died a brutal, idiotic death around this place. I weep for mankind.

"Honestly, sometimes I wonder how some of you people navigate through daily life."

Over the years I've read a number of your sarcastic Posts. I wonder how you managed to live so long.

Mike T.

Moving right along.

I wonder how long it takes to move from one preset/performance to another. Also wonder about boot time, though neither of these are an issue for me. Just curious.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it