Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2952988 - 10/14/18 09:28 PM Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers
Quai34 Offline

Loc: Canada, MB
Hi Guys,
I'm posting this here because all the other forum about studio and recording seemed to be inactive for a long time...

8 years ago, I decided to set up a new home studio after a break of 10 years...Well, even more, because my last Home Studio was Atari 1040 and Notator from C-Lab...
So, I installed all the audio first and then all the software and computer...I was ready to record, all connections were working well in Cubase, midi and Audio but:
The Imac was not mine, from my job and when I was laid off, I had to give it back and found another job...
Since then, for the past 5 years, the studio hasn't worked at all because I've been doing Live music only...Two bands, a lot of practices, gigs etc...And I had no computer (Besides an old PC 11 years old...)
I was able to keep record of all the steps to reset the studio with two interface M-Audio Firewire 2626 but today, my goal is different:

I want to use my Mackie Onyx 1640i as a recorder with Cubase to record our practices.
I've bought a late 2015 Imac and nothing has been downloaded on it yet (besides the librarian for my Nord and other keys):

So, I read a lot online and I think I need to do that.
1) Check my Mackie to see the serial number
2) Check the Os I'm on with my Imac
3) Downloading the drivers that match it, or no drivers if it's Core Audio (I found the recap on Mackie.com)
4) Downloading Cubase, Artist 6.5 in my case
5) Plugging the Firewire Port of the mackie to the Imac with the appropriate connector/cable
6) Going into the "Midi and audio setup" on the Imac to see if I see the mackie in it

So, question 1:
Is the order above is right or is there something I need to do in a different order?
Question 2:
After step 6), I'm lost...
Do I need to check which frequency is the recording, in cubase? and set it up? or will it be done automatically? Or looking at the manual on the mackie to see which frequencies is available and decide which one (Knowing that 44Khtz/16 Bit should be enough right?) I remember that I need to check the latency as well? or something else...But the monitoring will be done by the Mackie anyway, directly with the Aux out and IEM, so, not really something to worry about right?

Sorry to ask those simple things but I have never done it with the Mackie, and when I did it with the M-Audio 2626 and the Older Imac (2005 one I think), I had some issues but at that time I had a friend of mine who was really knowledgeable in this field...Remember, my latest studio was midi only, Atari 1040...
And I got help from my friends at Nord User Forum, it was my first post in fact, and it was Midi related...
Today, not the case, all my friends are bassist or guitarists or drummers...
And when I was ready to record, it was 5 years ago and I didn't touch anything on the recording side since then...
So, let me know
Sincerely

Edited by Quai34 (10/14/18 09:33 PM)
Stage 2, C2 & NL2X+TC Pedals, Prophet 08 & 12+Tetra&H9, D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200& 2605.

KC Island
#2952989 - 10/14/18 09:49 PM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: Quai34]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I don't have any experience with any of the hardware you're mentioning, but the first thing I thought was I don't think late '15 iMacs have a Firewire port. You'll need a small dongle to convert FW to Thunderbolt, but that should be a small thing.

Here's a thread from GS that discusses Onyx driver issues (and fixes) for later Mac OSX versions.

All that being said, I am curious if there's a reason you don't just record everything into Garage Band - since it's free.

I would think the large steps are 1) getting the Onyx recognized by OSX, 2) configuring whatever DAW of choice you end up with.

Other than that, what you've written seems correct to me.

#2952990 - 10/14/18 09:57 PM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: timwat]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Originally Posted By: timwat
I don't have any experience with any of the hardware you're mentioning, but the first thing I thought was I don't think late '15 iMacs have a Firewire port. You'll need a small dongle to convert FW to Thunderbolt, but that should be a small thing.

Here's a thread from GS that discusses Onyx driver issues (and fixes) for later Mac OSX versions.

All that being said, I am curious if there's a reason you don't just record everything into Garage Band - since it's free.

I would think the large steps are 1) getting the Onyx recognized by OSX, 2) configuring whatever DAW of choice you end up with.

Other than that, what you've written seems correct to me.

GarageBand can't record more than one track at a time. That's why I use Cubase AI right now.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2952991 - 10/14/18 10:14 PM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Murky Musty Moth
GarageBand can't record more than one track at a time. That's why I use Cubase AI right now.

GarageBand for Mac: Record to multiple audio tracks

#2952993 - 10/14/18 11:13 PM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: timwat]
Quai34 Offline

Hi,
Imhave never used Garage Band, I have Cubase so, I was willing to use it to be ready when I will be in the studio but yes, garage band could be an option....
We have used garage band with my other band during a practice but it was with a QU16 by Allen and Heath and my guitarist asked the rep from the store to ce in and to set it up, it worked one tome and then, he had forgotten how it was working....
And I never had a chance to look at it again....
What a dongle is? I will have a look on line to see that, sorry to ask....
Stage 2, C2 & NL2X+TC Pedals, Prophet 08 & 12+Tetra&H9, D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200& 2605.

#2952994 - 10/14/18 11:22 PM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: Quai34]
Quai34 Offline

OK, a dongle is an adaptator or something else?
But thanks to pointing that out, I knew it when I bought the computer but completely forgot the about the Port. Sall issue yes, but first thing to do....

#2953001 - 10/15/18 04:28 AM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: Quai34]
BbAltered Online   content
Gold Member

Hello. I use a Mackie 1604i with a Windows DAW. One my machine, the order is:
1) Download and install DAW software.
2) Download and install Mackie drivers.
3) With computer and Mackie turned on, plug the Mackie firewire cable into the computer.
I think the important part of this is that all the software is installed before completing the connection between the Mackie and the computer

The Mackie software includes an app that allows me to choose the sample rate and bit depth. I choose the values consistent with my hardware and needs (44.1khz, 24 bits in my case). When I want to record from the Mackie, I must go to the DAW software and select which Mackie input channel I want to record: all the Mackie input channels will be shown in a long list in the Inputs and Outputs section of my DAW software.

I've have been using this combo for 10 years now and it is stable and robust. The firewire technology is old and falling behind, but is sufficient to record and playback all the available channels on your Mackie. I have also gotten useful help by calling the Mackie tech support.
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Weather Report Mr. Gone

#2953014 - 10/15/18 07:08 AM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: BbAltered]
Quai34 Offline

Ok, thanks a lot, I email Mackie tech support yesterday as well, I had good answers in the past but it took quite a long time to get the rest....
Sincerely

#2953038 - 10/15/18 09:26 AM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: Quai34]
Quai34 Offline

Ok, Garage Band installed, no need for Mackie drivers, I'm on OS X Yosemite 10.5 and my Mackie serial number starts with 003, then, it's Core Audio.
I need now to buy a FireWire connector to Thunderbold right? One or two? Because I have two ports on the Mackie? Is there one port for send and one port for return from the computer? Should I buy two cables and plug them both at the same time?

#2953044 - 10/15/18 09:54 AM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: Quai34]
BbAltered Online   content
Gold Member

The Mackie firewire hardware has two firewire ports. You only need to connect one (either one) to your computer - that one connection carries signal both to and from your computer. The other port is available for those who want to connect their mixer to two different devices.

Have fun!
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Weather Report Mr. Gone

#2953058 - 10/15/18 11:17 AM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: timwat]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Originally Posted By: timwat
Originally Posted By: Murky Musty Moth

GarageBand for Mac: Record to multiple audio tracks

Down at the bottom of the article is the key. "Published Date: Dec 14, 2017." I haven't used GarageBand for at least a year. Must have been in an update or something. Sorry.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2953066 - 10/15/18 11:57 AM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No worries; I don't use GB for multitrack either...I'm a long-time Logic user. I only use GB for quick scratchpad ideas. But I'd heard it let you multitrack a bit ago; if OP is looking to record band rehearsals, I figured free is the best price of all.

#2953133 - 10/16/18 01:19 AM Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i & Cubase, Step to follow to instal drivers [Re: timwat]
Quai34 Offline

M have to,re-install my Cubase 7.0 that I haven't used for 5 years but I need to buy a CD player to download it into my IMac....
And yes, just for Rehearsal, GB is enough....
I could use Logic as well, especially because it was the former C-Labs CIE that was designing Notator Logic (Apple bought the CIE in 1995 I think...) but 5 years ago, Cubase was a bit on the edge for Midi and I was going to use a lot of Midi....
Well, I might end up using any of the 3 anyway....
Thanks for the info, I improve slowly on this one, I will update you when I will have recorded our first practice with this.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner