Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2952987 - 10/14/18 08:40 PM Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production
A McLeod III Offline

Loc: NawthEastern NC
cool What's up gang? been a minute but the absence is a good indicator that I've been making some music and even making a little money $$$ as well. Though this post is not completely guitar (good bit of guitar involved however, LP Content) I have always counted on this site for great input So....

...this is a new recording of a soul song that I've written and produced that's actually gonna' be picked for an album (Indie Project) I use a very eclectic array of gear to track this including two midied Tascam 788 digitals, NCH Mixpad Pro for final mixes, TC Electronics MX 100, Alesis Midiverb, Early Berhinger Compressor and a Roland VE-20 for wrangling effects and on this track, AKG Perception 220 mics for vocals and Shure SM 57 Mics for guitar and other miscellaneous task, Roland< Korg and Ensoniq Synths and a lexicon interface to get everything into my HP computer. I would love to get some comments/help from some of the more experienced recordist here on the resulting track and in particular the slightly wooly sound (even after compression) on some of the louder dynamics on the vocals.

Thanking you in advance for all the comments and all the help

Archie M/Musically Mr M

If U Were Mine by Musically Mr M | Free Listening on SoundCloud

btw, there is a youtube video for this song if anyone is interested YouTube

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

GP Island
#2953000 - 10/15/18 04:13 AM Re: Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production [Re: A McLeod III]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Very nice Mr. M!
I hear what you`re talking about on the vocals-something got pushed past its comfort zone. More knowledgeable types will have to help out on that, anyway good listen nonetheless.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2953024 - 10/15/18 08:28 AM Re: Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
???

Writing some stuff for WHO?....AND an indie production? wink

C'mon now, get outa FB mode. grin wink

But in seriousness, the tune's got an early '70's Stylistics/Chi-Lites kind of groove to it that I've always liked. wink Very good stuff.
Whitefang

#2953062 - 10/15/18 11:44 AM Re: Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Hey, A---thanks for posting "If U Were Mine" !
I think overall it was a good bit of work & I applaud anyone actually doing stuff rather than just dithering !
I also liked some of the tracks that came up on SCloud following the one you linked !

Can't really help ya on a tech level abt the vox but overall it seems well done, although I do hear that sorta fried thing.
Let's wait for Scott F...

I have a comment/question that goes in a diff direction, which I'll send you via PM here.

#2953534 - 10/18/18 01:21 PM Re: Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d

I have a comment/question that goes in a diff direction, which I'll send you via PM here.

snax

#2953545 - 10/18/18 02:07 PM Re: Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production [Re: d]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Sounded good! The lead singer’s vox reminded of Three Dog Night- tonally, at least.

And- to me- the overall feel seemed like the R&B sound Hall & Oates updated the original classics to.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/18/18 02:11 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2953570 - 10/18/18 04:07 PM Re: Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production [Re: A McLeod III]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey Archie:
It's a lovely tune & very nicely recorded. As to the vocal being 'woolly, I don't hear that. I hear that the vocal is being overwhelmed by the backbeat. I can't tell what it is, a cabasa, a cajon, multirods on a snare. I finally decided what I'm hearing on the backbeat is brushes on a snare, & it's WAY too loud in the mix. The whole reason we use brushes is to depict a quiet rhythm track, & you really don't want to close-mic brushes. It just never sounds right. A mix is a map to the emotional center of a song. What I hear is this map is leading me to the rhythm track. I submit the destination for this song should be the vocals, both lead & backgrounds. I would try a mix with less reverb on the lead vocal, more predelay, & a bit shorter decay time. The backgrounds I would make exist on the same level volume wise as the lead, but more ethereal. The keyboard & guitars need to find more distinction from each other, i.e. to not cover the same frequency range nor pan position. And I feel there's just a bit of a haze on the middle of things, frequency-wise, panning-wise, but also activity-wise. I feel like there is stuff in there which I'm not hearing with real clarity. A good bit of the mixing process is about stripping away anything which prevents one from hearing everything that you've deemed important to include, so some creative carving with EQ might give you some more space in the middle of things to allow the voice to come forward more. Remember, every piece of music is about telling a story, & in this tune, that's the voice's job description. Make sure nothing gets in the way of that task.
This probably reads like a laundry list of why or how this song and mix is not working, but it's so close to working really well that I just want hear some subtle improvements to make it really sparkle. Great job, man, & consider this the first draft of a soon to be perfected mix.

#2953659 - 10/19/18 07:36 AM Re: Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Regarding the rhythm track, as I posted in a PM to A Mc3, along with some other comments (so far he doesn't really seem to be monitoring our responses), I noticed that the perc track has some seemingly unintended flams (like at :40 & at 1:59 & 3:43).
Anyone else notice ?

#2953666 - 10/19/18 08:00 AM Re: Writing Some Stuff for and Indie Production [Re: d]
A McLeod III Offline

Loc: NawthEastern NC
Hey d

Definitely monitoring the responses. Got really busy for a few days and just getting back to your remarks. Everything so far heard and received. Stirred some remixing just this morning so stay tuned. Also, check your PM

Thanks,
Archie smile

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose