Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2952792 - 10/12/18 07:08 PM The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord
PianoManChuck Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Caliornia
Nord currently has 11 Grand Pianos (ie: Bosendorfer, Fazioli, Kawai, Steinway, Yamaha, etc). This video demonstrates them all in 25-second intervals so that you can hear/compare them:

The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord

KC Island
#2952796 - 10/12/18 07:30 PM Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord [Re: PianoManChuck]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
My favorite is the Royal Grand. Don't recall my '97 S6 sounding like that but whatever. wink smile

Haven't heard the Royal Grand, or played the NP4 in person yet though.

As always, Nord pianos sound great recorded but live through speakers often the results are different then the online demos.

Thanks Chuck.

#2952805 - 10/12/18 09:29 PM Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord [Re: Dave Ferris]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
I like the Royal Grand 3d of course, but also the Velvet Grand (great for jazz I'd imagine), Concert Grand Close and Concert Grand Ambient. Concert Grand Close is my favorite by far.

There's just something about the dynamics of the Nord pianos that I just don't meld with, unfortunately. The ones I listed above sound great in recording. I haven't been able to try them in real life. But the other grands just sound electronic and compressed to me. But, that's why I don't have a Nord. It's nice that there are so many options for people out there nowadays since sound is so objective. Great playing as usual!

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2952889 - 10/13/18 04:18 PM Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord [Re: Dave Ferris]
Lady Gaia Offline

Loc: Seattle
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
My favorite is the Royal Grand. Don't recall my '97 S6 sounding like that but whatever. wink smile

I was sorry the video didn't provide the kind of details about how the various pianos were mic'ed after the extensive writeup on the Royal Grand. It definitely sounds amazing, but I think a part of that may simply be that I'm used to hearing what it sounds like from the player's position and that's how they explicitly describe recording it.

The Silver Grand should be the most familiar, given that I play an SK7 at home with great regularity, but it comes across as even more bright and percussive in the video than it does when I'm playing. The Nord representation lacks some of the warmth and richness I'm used to. I'd like to know what to attribute that to.

Edited by Lady Gaia (10/13/18 04:24 PM)

#2952894 - 10/13/18 04:46 PM Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord [Re: Lady Gaia]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
You have the SK7 which you're familiar with, I have my Bosie which I'm familiar with, and we've both noticed the same thing: the digital samples can come across a bit too sterile and thin as compared to the real thing.

I don't know what to attribute it to: recording technique, playback equipment, or just the nature of digital samples. But I find it's good enough for purpose as is.

An interesting data point is my AvantGrand N3. Digital samples, but played through a cabinet that's designed to more accurately reproduce acoustic piano sounds. It's not nearly as sterile and thin as compared to playing a digital sample through, say, headphones or monitors. The cabinet wood resonates, for example.

Not like playing a real acoustic grand, but often good enough to fool you.

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2952952 - 10/14/18 01:06 PM Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord [Re: cphollis]
brenner13 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Kansas
Perhaps it is just the time of year, but the title of this thread makes me think of 1970's Italian paranormal horror movies. I love those things!

#2952955 - 10/14/18 02:05 PM Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord [Re: brenner13]
Rustar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
And there's is "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T"

#2952957 - 10/14/18 02:24 PM Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord [Re: Rustar]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Y'see, I went for The Seven Faces Of Dr. Lao.

dB

rockit ==> David Bryce Music Funky Young Monks <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones Crumar elysia Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio

#2952964 - 10/14/18 04:13 PM Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
Originally Posted By: Murky Musty Moth
I like the Royal Grand 3d of course, but also the Velvet Grand (great for jazz I'd imagine), Concert Grand Close and Concert Grand Ambient. Concert Grand Close is my favorite by far.

There's just something about the dynamics of the Nord pianos that I just don't meld with, unfortunately. The ones I listed above sound great in recording. I haven't been able to try them in real life. But the other grands just sound electronic and compressed to me. But, that's why I don't have a Nord. It's nice that there are so many options for people out there nowadays since sound is so objective. Great playing as usual!

Some of the first piano samples do sound compressed and electronic to me too. Some of the later samples sound more realistic. Lets face it, we ARE playing an electronic instrument and i really don't know that any mfg can duplicate any acoustic piano that will please everyone.

I remember the days before the Yamaha Electric Grand was introduced and there was really no acceptable piano that musicians could carry around for gigs. There were always compromises we had to live with in the dark ages.

Mike T.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner