Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2952667 - 10/11/18 11:45 PM Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable
erik_nie Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Finally moved to full software setup a few months ago: Mainstage + DMC-122.
Worked great fast and stable with high sierra, later Mojave and 3.3. Now moved to 3.4 and found many issues on my gig last night:
  • CPU load from around 20% to 35/40% (same concert, with mainly stock instruments and sforzando), now the fan is working, used to be silent.
  • serveral clicks (seems to happen mainly after starting Mainstage, but heard a few during a gig)
  • patch changing is slower (around half a second, compared to instant)
  • I use a button to cycle though sets, it now misses a set change sometimes if i'm too fast. This worked great in 3.3
  • chord recognizer does not work anymore

Still workable, but overal the performance is a lot slower.
I read similar experiences on the net... ;(

Running on a Macbook Pro 2012 with 16GD and a 256GB SSD.

Please report your milage, hopefully a quick fix soon.

Edited by erik_nie (10/11/18 11:45 PM)

KC Island
#2952669 - 10/12/18 12:50 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: erik_nie]
Markay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Plenty of reports of a similar issue elsewhere. Hope you did a Time Machine backup before the upgrade, I would roll back to 3.3 and lodge a report of the CPU issue with Apple.

I had a similar issue with MS 3 when I imported my MS 2 concerts. It took up until 3.3 to settle down to the point where it was stable and used a modest amount of CPU again.

Based on their past performance Apple will fix it, the amount of feedback from users will determine the priority the issue gets on their bug fix list.

#2952694 - 10/12/18 06:54 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: Markay]
hatricklov Offline

Loc: CO
From one of the Facebook groups I belong to of MainStage users, they are having the same experience.

The admin of the FB group has direct contact with Apple and mentioned they are giving any reported bugs serious attention. He's also repeatedly advised not to upgrade to MainStage 3.4, as well as the OS (there are some minor MainStage features that didn't carry over from Sierra to High Sierra, not to mention Mojave). Sadly, a number of people have the Macs set to auto-update. I have my auto-update turned off for these reasons.

I have a mid-2012 15", core i7 with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD running Sierra and MainStage 3.3, and it runs great. As much as I'm itching to try out the new features in 3.4, it's not worth the headache to me to update at this time until I hear that they've cleared up some of the bugs.

Edited by hatricklov (10/12/18 06:55 AM)

#2952713 - 10/12/18 08:57 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: hatricklov]
EscapeRocks Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
I am running Mojave, and 3.4

I initially had some increased CPU, but nowhere near the experience the OP talks about.

I did get in contact with Apple, and the person I worked with had me send them the concert I had issues with, as well as one of the "reports" you create.

They spent a couple days running my concert on different machines, and didn't see the same increased CPU that I was seeing (and they could verify I was seeing).

As a test, they had me create another user account on my MBP, and open the offending Mainstage concert in that.

It worked! CPU back to my original good baseline.

At that point my guy at Apple had me create another one of those Support Profiles so he could analyze it, compared to the original Support Profile. That was first thing this morning. I am waiting on his findings.

He also told me they have received the reports of performance decrease in 3.4 compared to 3.2.2 regardless of OS (Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, etc..)

Anyway, they are fully aware of the issue and are working to identify it.

As soon as I hear back from them on my latest report I sent I will let all know what they say.

#2952720 - 10/12/18 09:58 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nevada
I hate fixing things that already work.
Stay on them, sounds like good support though.

#2952733 - 10/12/18 10:56 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: hardware]
dreamer65 Offline

Known issue with older MacBook pros without extra GPU. I also couldn‘t believe they still haven’t fixed that. That CPU load goes up to 220% with the new horns and strings without even playing a single note, voices are unplayable. Not so good.

#2952856 - 10/13/18 11:19 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: hatricklov]
TechEverlasting Offline

"Sadly, a number of people have the Macs set to auto-update."

"Sad" isn't the word I would choose for anyone who uses a Mac for music and has it set to auto-update. "Insane" seems more appropriate.

#2953027 - 10/15/18 08:36 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: TechEverlasting]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Okay! Quick update!

While Apple is currently scouring the latest Mainstage created performance report I sent them, I tried something.

On my gig machine: Mid 2012 13" MBP 2.5ghz 16GB, 2-500GB SSD totaling 1TB

I completely removed any trace of Mainstage and my 3rd party libraries (Arturia, PianoTeq, Syntronik)

I then went back into the App Store, downloaded 3.4 again, and let it do a fresh install.

I made sure to to download the exact Apple sound libraries I had before. (I don't use the new studio horns or strings).

I re-installed my 3rd Party sound files.

Then I opened Mainstage 3.4 and created a concert, and imported from a backup, all my patches.

I don't know why doing this worked, but it did.

With everything loaded, my idle CPU was back to 3%.

I actually ran 3.4 at a gig Saturday night, and it was flawless.
No lag switching patches, and CPU never went above 51%, which is how it behaved under 3.3.2

It hits the 51% when I am playing hard with lots of sustain pedal with PianoTeq.

Anyway, just an idea for anyone to try while Apple looks at all this. YMMV, but it seemed to work for me.

I also did the same on my test machine (late 2013 13" Retina, 2.4ghz, 128GB SSD), with the same better results.

I have been in communication with Apple this morning, and sent them a new Mainstage report from my gig machine. Hopefully they can see where the differences are between the old file with CPU issues, and this new one where my clean install seemed to fix it.

I'll report back here when I hear anything.

#2953033 - 10/15/18 09:19 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
bg Offline

Loc: Hollywood, FL, UNITED STATES
Thanks, David. You're doing all of us a good service.

#2953138 - 10/16/18 05:10 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: bg]
erik_nie Offline

Thanks david! Hope this will fix things.

#2954460 - 10/24/18 11:11 PM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: erik_nie]
erik_nie Offline

Any updates?
Mainstage was so slow and was unreliable for me that i switched to Plogue Bidule. 15-20% CPU load again (no loud fan activity), very fast switching patches and super flexible.
The way I use it is not that normal I assume.
Mainy samples in sforzando (my own soundfonts and free soundfonts converted to sfz by extreme sample convertor) and OBXd does the job for me. Backing tracks by audio players.
Everything controlled by mij DMC-122.
I have a few piano-sounds on channel 2 (switched by program changes) on my bottom keyboard, also layers with strings, pad and a DX-piano
My top keyboard has 6 banks of 7 sounds, some splits. Bidule has an option to disable a vst via a midi-switcher. I use this to disable a full bank at once to limit the amount of active vst's. Still switching banks is very fast.
In a bank I can make 7 patches that can contain one vst, or all kinds of splits with effects.
I'm thinking of making a video of my setup.
I've been using bidule for a very long time and it was always stable over updates (going back is also easy), no crashes and super flexible.
The missing past is a fancy UI and a simple way to switch patches, but for my band the amount of patches is limited and solved by my system.

#2954469 - 10/25/18 02:48 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: erik_nie]
EricBarker Offline

I'm sticking with 3.2.4. I experienced some problems with 3.3 early-on, and decided to stick with 3.2.4 until some really amazing feature caught my attention, which it hasn't. I more recently tried a later release of 3.3, and it seemed to work okay, so maybe they cleared up whatever was causing my problems. But, seeing as I still use a 2011, and everything works just fine, but need to be careful, it's just smarter to stick with what I know works.

It looks like the biggest updates are Alchemy-related, and I've never dove into that VI. I purposefully don't use Apple's VIs, because I know I can't take them with me into my DAW of choice!

MacBook Pro running MainStage and various plugins (NI and other)
Arturia Keylab88, Crumar Mojo61, Seaboard Rise49, Vortex Keytar, Trumpet

#2954474 - 10/25/18 04:17 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EricBarker]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
I am sure that over time the new Studio Instruments will acquit themselves well, but in my case, I have reverted to using Kontakt horns for my November gigs. There are CPU and control issues with the Studio Horns articulations that I haven't been able to bullet-proof in my rig. If it's not bullet proof, I am not gigging it.

I am hoping the next update will give us a better integration between the Mainstage code and the articulation switching system they brought in from Logic.

YMMV of course.

#2954503 - 10/25/18 07:38 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: JerryA]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey all,

Last word I got from Apple a few days ago: They are busy going thru various performance issue reports.

He told me the big one is related to the Studio Horns/Strings.

I did report one issue the popped up, but only once and never again: I added some new VST, and as usual, when opening MS, it scanned for Audio Units. When that completed, a message popped up saying the MIDI whatever can't load so Mainstage will not run.

I closed MS, and relaunched and all was well. That has never happened since with more VST additions.

As far as my system, I had two more solid gigs this past weekend.
3.4 ran perfectly using PianoTeq, Apple, and Arturia instruments.

#2954545 - 10/25/18 01:00 PM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
bg Offline

Loc: Hollywood, FL, UNITED STATES
I'm on 3.4, MacBook Pro 2015 16GB. The cooling fan comes on and stays on. Seems to work fine though. Not using Studio Horns/Strings.

#2954548 - 10/25/18 01:22 PM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: bg]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: bg
I'm on 3.4, MacBook Pro 2015 16GB. The cooling fan comes on and stays on. Seems to work fine though. Not using Studio Horns/Strings.

Thank you for your report as well.

As you saw in my posts above, my unloading and reloading Mainstage seemed to work for me. So far, the only difference was I didn't load the new Studio Horns/Strings, as I did the first time. Makes me wonder if something related to those behind the scenes causing performance issue.

Apple has my reports to compare before and after.

I use a really nice oversize Thermal Lake Laptop fan under the Macbook Pro when on stage, and that keeps things pretty stable, temp wise.

I began using the fans with Macbooks a few years ago when we started getting outdoor festival gigs in Texas in the summer... a tad warm smile

#2955575 - 10/31/18 01:49 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
erik_nie Offline

I tried to unload and load mainstage. But this did not work.
How to fully remove mainstage?
I removed the session horn from my project.
I deleted the app in applications and also deleted the session horn samples.
Downloaded mainstage again and loaded the project. Similar issues with slow switching of patches and high CPU.

Any news from Apple?

#2955596 - 10/31/18 05:44 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: erik_nie]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey.
I finally dumped 3.4 and went back to 3.2.2.

Just as I’d get issues solved, another popped up.

While 3.4 has great features, I don’t like having to worry at each gig

I reloaded 3.2.2 from my time machine backup and everything is rock solid again

Apple has all my reports.

#2956871 - 11/07/18 08:06 PM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
MP Hall of Fame Member

UPDATE:

Apple has released 3.4.1. As of the time of this post, the full release notes aren't up yet.
However, thru the testing and reporting I've been doing with Apple here's what I know:

Chord Display is fixed
Saving setups, especially multi-timbral is fixed.

and the biggie: They found the CPU issues.

It had to do with how Mainstage was working with certain GPU's.

That's why it didn't affect everyone.

They also did more bug fixes, but will have to wait for the full release notes to see what those were.

I did load 3.4.1 on my backup MBP that has an integrated Intel Iris GPU.

First thing I noticed was the fan wasn't coming on right away.

I was also able to run Syntronik and Pianoteq without spiking CPU.
I am going to keep testing it for awhile, especially with the same heavy concerts I use live.

#2956890 - 11/08/18 12:51 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
Lee T Offline

Loc: North West UK
Thanks for that David. I'll test it with some of my heavier sets (I have a 50 song setup that uses Omnisphere, Keyscape, some large Kontakt instruments etc.)

#2956960 - 11/08/18 12:16 PM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: Lee T]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Quote:
I am going to keep testing it for awhile, especially with the same heavy concerts I use live.

You and me both. Fingers crossed.

#2956972 - 11/08/18 01:43 PM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: Bobby Simons]
EricBarker Offline

3.2.2 is my bag. The first few versions of 3.3 were awful. I think later versions were fixed, but I have almost no reason to switch. The only feature that looked interesting was that supposedly it was going to have intelligent relinking of Aliases from other Concerts. But I tried it, and I didn't notice any difference, so whatever.

3.2.2 is purring, why change? I haven't updated OS X for quite a few years either. I have a couple other macs for my studio audio and graphics work, and I keep them where I need them. But my old "SynthBook" stays exactly where it needs to be.

MacBook Pro running MainStage and various plugins (NI and other)
Arturia Keylab88, Crumar Mojo61, Seaboard Rise49, Vortex Keytar, Trumpet

#2957094 - 11/09/18 09:38 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EricBarker]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here are the release notes for 3.4.1

So far, in my testing, everything they say they fixed they did fix.

Despite some of the growing pains, Mainstage is still the best $39 I ever spent on music gear.

Mainstage 3.4.1 Release Notes

New in MainStage 3.4.1

Stability/Reliability

MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly sometimes when changing audio devices while in playback mode.

MainStage no longer shows an error "The file format is not correct" in certain rare cases when opening a concert.

MainStage no longer sometimes hangs when loading a concert that contains a renamed plug-in preset.

MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly in rare cases when loading a concert that was saved with the Assignments & Mappings tab selected.

MainStage no longer sometimes becomes unresponsive when editing Articulation Sets.

MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly when exiting the app after pasting an Alias.

Performance

Playback no longer appears to use unexpectedly large amounts of memory.

Selecting presets in Chromaverb no longer sometimes causes Audio Engine overload messages.

Macs with an integrated graphics processor no longer experience unexpected spikes in CPU performance.

Mixer

Aliases of channel strips from multitimbral instruments now correctly maintains their channel settings when a concert is close said then re-opened.

Bypassing a channel strip with Studio Strings or Studio Horns no longer sometimes leads to hanging notes.

The Multitimbral Settings window now consistently displays the currently assigned MIDI channel for the selected instrument.

Changing the stereo spread on an unselected channel strip no longer also changes the stereo spread on a selected channel strip.

Plug-ins

Playback again displays the audio waveform correctly when an MP3 file is loaded.

Smart Controls

Smart Controls now reflect the current play state of Ultrabeat.

Sound Library

There are no longer sometimes unexpected "Not enough free space to install selected instruments and sounds" errors when downloading additional content to a Sound Library that has been relocated.

Autosampler

Autosampler no longer sometimes gets stuck after sampling the first note in a new instrument.

Autosampler is no longer unexpectedly hidden after creating an instrument, closing and reopening Autosampler, and then overwriting the instrument.

Control Surfaces/MIDI Controllers

Control names and values on Nektar Panorama control surfaces now update as soon as a concert is loaded.

General

The Jump to Previous Marker command now works when Snap is set to values other than OFF.

MIDI plug-ins now correctly show their bypass state when bypass is triggered by a screen control button.

The Metronome in concerts created in MainStage 3.3.2 no longer unexpectedly plays clicks on the divisions.

Chord display again works as expected.

MainStage project icons now display correctly on iMac Pro computers.

The "On Patch Change" option "Reset to saved value" now reliably works as expected.

Ultrabeat’s play state has now consistently reflected in the Smart Controls,

The Assigned Mapping inspector now immediately updates to show pedals added or removed from the Pedalboard plug-in.

Disabling cycle during play now works for grouped instances of Playback.

#2957096 - 11/09/18 09:58 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
What about the ongoing “system overload” alert when swapping an instrument in a strip? This has been showing up since at least two updates ago. There is no overload, the new instrument loads, nothing hangs, all is well - so why the alert?

#2957112 - 11/09/18 10:50 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: drawback]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: drawback
What about the ongoing “system overload” alert when swapping an instrument in a strip? This has been showing up since at least two updates ago. There is no overload, the new instrument loads, nothing hangs, all is well - so why the alert?

That is one I am unfamiliar with. I have never had that, and I swap instruments all the time while creating concerts.

My first MS was 3.0, and every update since.

Sorry I can't help you with that one.

#2957113 - 11/09/18 11:06 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Considering it’s a 3.3GH quad i7 with 16 RAM, me too!

#2957116 - 11/09/18 11:15 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: drawback]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Have you ever created a system report from the Mainstage menus to send to Apple?

My main gig machine is a lowly 2.5Ghz i5 with 16gb ram

#2957117 - 11/09/18 11:19 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No - it hasn’t been a huge issue for me - but perhaps I will, based on your reports and results.

thu

Edited by drawback (11/09/18 11:23 AM)

#2957128 - 11/09/18 01:03 PM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: drawback]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good idea

The audio team is really good and helpful. The process is to send a support ticket. Then in a couple days you'll get an email back from one of the specialists. They will ask you to create that file that's in the Mainstage menus. They will also ask you to attach a copy of the concert that gives you issues.

That way they will have all the info on your machine and be able to test your concert.

That's how they discovered the CPU issue in 3.4 with MBPs that have integrated GPU, such as mine smile

#2957319 - 11/11/18 12:17 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
dreamer65 Offline

The CPU issues on my i5 2017 8gb ram MacBook with integrated graphics are less now with 3.4.1. But studio strings and horns STILL have issues. Dynamically switching articulations cause voices not to respond any more or articulations are not loaded at all. Other samples run smooth. Sad because I purchased Mainstage just because of the new studio stuff.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner