Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2952667 - 10/11/18 11:45 PM Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable
erik_nie Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Finally moved to full software setup a few months ago: Mainstage + DMC-122.
Worked great fast and stable with high sierra, later Mojave and 3.3. Now moved to 3.4 and found many issues on my gig last night:
  • CPU load from around 20% to 35/40% (same concert, with mainly stock instruments and sforzando), now the fan is working, used to be silent.
  • serveral clicks (seems to happen mainly after starting Mainstage, but heard a few during a gig)
  • patch changing is slower (around half a second, compared to instant)
  • I use a button to cycle though sets, it now misses a set change sometimes if i'm too fast. This worked great in 3.3
  • chord recognizer does not work anymore

Still workable, but overal the performance is a lot slower.
I read similar experiences on the net... ;(

Running on a Macbook Pro 2012 with 16GD and a 256GB SSD.

Please report your milage, hopefully a quick fix soon.

Edited by erik_nie (10/11/18 11:45 PM)

KC Island
#2952669 - 10/12/18 12:50 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: erik_nie]
Phreakay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Plenty of reports of a similar issue elsewhere. Hope you did a Time Machine backup before the upgrade, I would roll back to 3.3 and lodge a report of the CPU issue with Apple.

I had a similar issue with MS 3 when I imported my MS 2 concerts. It took up until 3.3 to settle down to the point where it was stable and used a modest amount of CPU again.

Based on their past performance Apple will fix it, the amount of feedback from users will determine the priority the issue gets on their bug fix list.

#2952694 - 10/12/18 06:54 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: Phreakay]
hatricklov Offline

Loc: CO
From one of the Facebook groups I belong to of MainStage users, they are having the same experience.

The admin of the FB group has direct contact with Apple and mentioned they are giving any reported bugs serious attention. He's also repeatedly advised not to upgrade to MainStage 3.4, as well as the OS (there are some minor MainStage features that didn't carry over from Sierra to High Sierra, not to mention Mojave). Sadly, a number of people have the Macs set to auto-update. I have my auto-update turned off for these reasons.

I have a mid-2012 15", core i7 with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD running Sierra and MainStage 3.3, and it runs great. As much as I'm itching to try out the new features in 3.4, it's not worth the headache to me to update at this time until I hear that they've cleared up some of the bugs.

Edited by hatricklov (10/12/18 06:55 AM)

#2952713 - 10/12/18 08:57 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: hatricklov]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
I am running Mojave, and 3.4

I initially had some increased CPU, but nowhere near the experience the OP talks about.

I did get in contact with Apple, and the person I worked with had me send them the concert I had issues with, as well as one of the "reports" you create.

They spent a couple days running my concert on different machines, and didn't see the same increased CPU that I was seeing (and they could verify I was seeing).

As a test, they had me create another user account on my MBP, and open the offending Mainstage concert in that.

It worked! CPU back to my original good baseline.

At that point my guy at Apple had me create another one of those Support Profiles so he could analyze it, compared to the original Support Profile. That was first thing this morning. I am waiting on his findings.

He also told me they have received the reports of performance decrease in 3.4 compared to 3.2.2 regardless of OS (Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, etc..)

Anyway, they are fully aware of the issue and are working to identify it.

As soon as I hear back from them on my latest report I sent I will let all know what they say.

#2952720 - 10/12/18 09:58 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
I hate fixing things that already work.
Stay on them, sounds like good support though.

#2952733 - 10/12/18 10:56 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: hardware]
dreamer65 Offline

Known issue with older MacBook pros without extra GPU. I also couldn‘t believe they still haven’t fixed that. That CPU load goes up to 220% with the new horns and strings without even playing a single note, voices are unplayable. Not so good.

#2952856 - 10/13/18 11:19 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: hatricklov]
TechEverlasting Offline

"Sadly, a number of people have the Macs set to auto-update."

"Sad" isn't the word I would choose for anyone who uses a Mac for music and has it set to auto-update. "Insane" seems more appropriate.

#2953027 - 10/15/18 08:36 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: TechEverlasting]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Okay! Quick update!

While Apple is currently scouring the latest Mainstage created performance report I sent them, I tried something.

On my gig machine: Mid 2012 13" MBP 2.5ghz 16GB, 2-500GB SSD totaling 1TB

I completely removed any trace of Mainstage and my 3rd party libraries (Arturia, PianoTeq, Syntronik)

I then went back into the App Store, downloaded 3.4 again, and let it do a fresh install.

I made sure to to download the exact Apple sound libraries I had before. (I don't use the new studio horns or strings).

I re-installed my 3rd Party sound files.

Then I opened Mainstage 3.4 and created a concert, and imported from a backup, all my patches.

I don't know why doing this worked, but it did.

With everything loaded, my idle CPU was back to 3%.

I actually ran 3.4 at a gig Saturday night, and it was flawless.
No lag switching patches, and CPU never went above 51%, which is how it behaved under 3.3.2

It hits the 51% when I am playing hard with lots of sustain pedal with PianoTeq.

Anyway, just an idea for anyone to try while Apple looks at all this. YMMV, but it seemed to work for me.

I also did the same on my test machine (late 2013 13" Retina, 2.4ghz, 128GB SSD), with the same better results.

I have been in communication with Apple this morning, and sent them a new Mainstage report from my gig machine. Hopefully they can see where the differences are between the old file with CPU issues, and this new one where my clean install seemed to fix it.

I'll report back here when I hear anything.

#2953033 - 10/15/18 09:19 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: EscapeRocks]
bg Offline

Loc: Hollywood, FL, UNITED STATES
Thanks, David. You're doing all of us a good service.

#2953138 - 10/16/18 05:10 AM Re: Mainstage 3.4 High CPU, almost unusable [Re: bg]
erik_nie Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Thanks david! Hope this will fix things.

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner