Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2952567 - 10/11/18 11:33 AM Yamaha CP4 master keyboard function
SteinwayB Offline

Although I've had my CP4 for several years I have never used the master keyboard function. I just ordered a Behringer Model D and would like a performance that uses the lower half of the CP4 as Rhodes and sends midi to the Model D for the upper half with no sounds from the CP4 for the upper half. I suspect I can do that in split mode or master keyboard with zone 1 native rhodes and zone 2 silent and midi sent on different channel. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Also, the master keyboard function is confusing; are the master keyboard settings saved in the performance pre-set?

KC Island
#2952588 - 10/11/18 12:46 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 master keyboard function [Re: SteinwayB]
J Graul Offline

Loc: Loo-uh-vull
This is the explanation per Bad Mister on the Yamaha Synth forum:

The CP4 Stage is a four Zone Master Keyboard Controller.

Like most keyboards the CP4 Stage normally Outputs MIDI data when you touch the keys.
MAIN - Channel 1
LAYER - Channel 2
SPLIT - Channel 3

Without any special setup, this is the normal MIDI I/O setup for the instrument.

If you are going to be using the CP4 Stage as the main Master Controller in a Stage Setup, it is highly recommended that use the MASTER KEYBOARD Function that allows you to create a four Zone setup that addresses devices connected via MIDI. These setups can be customized per Performance... so that when you recall a stage Performance the internal and external devices that you wish to play are configured as you require.

When you setup and activate the Master Keyboard 4-Zone Setup, it overrides the Normal Channel Output (which is three channels).

#2952590 - 10/11/18 12:56 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 master keyboard function [Re: J Graul]
SteinwayB Offline

Thank you, that answers my question. I'll have to check out that forum.

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner