Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cable file bag?

cedar

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used bags. I guess I thought they were more difficult to deal with than milk crates (when I was a teen) or suitcases (my first touring cable cases...it was 1980, the suitcases were plastic molded). I had small flight cases for my cables until I went to Iraq and then I had to purchase some lighter cases, and I bought some SKB utilitycases that had pull out handles and wheels. Bought 2 of them, and still use them 15 years later. You can buy cheaper versions that are actually larger for about $30 at Sams Club. They're not quite the grade of my old SKBs, but for cables, small mixers??? Hell, I may actually use it for fly rigs, and foam it for my Integra and a mini vent, and a handful of "dont trust the rider" items.

Here's a link: $30 Cmon!!!

For lest strenuous needs, this should fill everyone's checklist For $30

For Those Who Are Organized (OCD? Yeah you know me!)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I use an old Sierra Club duffel bag which I got for joining the SC. I've got expression pedal, sustain pedal, wireless sax mic and receiver, speaker cables, mic cables, octopus extension cord with 5 power cords, assorted other stuff. I've looked at all the bags linked to in this thread and I still think any old small-to-medium duffel works best. I'm looking at gym bags on Amazon right now as well as other types of duffel bags.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

The reason the bag in the OP appealed to me - and what I think might distinguish it from a typical duffel bag and some of the other- are the little compartments, which seem fairly well-suited to what I personally carry.

In recent months, it seems I am mostly doing jazz trio gigs. For those I like to carry: cables of different length for PA; small mixer; mic; decent size extension cord with power strip; gaffer tape; ZOOM recording devices; maybe a couple of things I'm forgetting.These items fit pretty well in the compartments.

Until I bought this bag, I threw some of these items into a backpack, and others into a generic shopping bag. Because I am so impatient leaving gigs, I found myself in the habit of throwing things in either bag without any thought, which inevitably required me to take time to re-assemble and organize before next gig.

So I believe the compartments are going to force me to be a little more organized. But those of you who are more careful about packing in the first place might do just as well with a duffel bag or something without compartments.

I love logistics :)

I've tried a number of things...I thought it would be cool to use a canvas bag like something you'd see when heading off to the Foreign Legion, but being shapeless it just made a mess of my stuff.

Ended up with using one or two 10-gal rubbermaid tubs, how rock'n'roll can you get...they stack on my cart and offer some protection. I had a mic boom and floor board to fit, and prefer to keep my stuff laying horizontal (vs a backpack, though I do use one of those for quick one-setters where I bring less gear).

I bought a double-pistol soft case for my mic and IEM stuff, it then goes in the tub. Very thick and protective, I just worry someone might think I'm bringing a gun in if I carry it separately (which I do when I take only that gear home on a 2-night gig) :D

One thing I'll never get...why does everything have to be matte black :) Not like your bags will be on stage with you (which would be a valid reason). I've had wonderful times on dim stages at 2am with a bunch of matte black cables that need to go into matte black bags and cases....

I went through a bit of research quite some time ago for a similar product. I considered the cable and phitz bags, but I didn't like the fact that the slots weren't adjustable to the gear that I wanted to pack. I ended up working on putting items together to create what I wanted. I didn't really finish it as I stopped gigging out. I had planned on combining a heavy-duty toolbox with padded dividers.

I bought this toolbox...

Plano 22" Power Tool Box #701-001

The closest thing I could find were padded dividers like pro photographers use. I just had to find a set that fit the toolbox, and optimally were a different color than black. Orange or yellow would be great for those dimly lit stages. I never got around to buying one, much less finding one with the closest approximate dimensions. Besides for what they cost, I want it in some other color than black. Either way, it'd be something along these lines...

Pelican padded divider sets

The plan was to have it carry mics, pedals, Vent, Vent switch, expression pedal, direct box, audio interface... etc.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I believe the compartments are going to force me to be a little more organized.

Yep I think you should find it very helpful in that regard, cedar.

I've always been obsessive about cable management and what I love about this bag is the fact that cables are stacked beside, rather than on top of each other. If you gig regularly you soon start to memorise where everything lives and therefore don't have to hunt underneath other cables for the one you need at any given point in time.

It's also very easy to visually check if everything is where it should be. I couldn't tell you how many times I've "rescued" an IEC cable from a stage tech. It actually becomes impossible to leave anything behind in the mayhem of packdown.

It's also very useful when I perform my secondary role of rescuer-of-guitarists-who-never-bring-spare-anything as I can quickly access cable/9 volt battery/gaff/blutack/screwdriver/their brain while they flap around in a mad panic. And know if it's been returned (they can keep the blutack).

But as you state, we all operate in different environments so all this might be superfluous for many.

I've been mildly interested in a couple of different camera bags for this purpose, including this one, which seems like a good shape, size, and price (and would hold a mixer perhaps).

That looks nice but is bit larger than I need. I'm thinking this one might work for me. It has dividers, is inexpensive, and the top looks flat enough to serve as a low laptop or Vent stand.

Are the dividers moveable/removeable? I like the idea of the dividers but I think I want a bigger space or 2 and maybe 6 or so divided small spaces.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I've been mildly interested in a couple of different camera bags for this purpose, including this one, which seems like a good shape, size, and price (and would hold a mixer perhaps).

That looks nice but is bit larger than I need. I'm thinking this one might work for me. It has dividers, is inexpensive, and the top looks flat enough to serve as a low laptop or Vent stand.

I looked at that one too. The nice thing about photography equipment is that it's designed to be easily portable, since they move around so much.

(Dividers are moveable in both.)

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• 2 weeks later...

The great gig bag search continues!

So I ordered the $20 tool bag off of eBay and it arrived the other day. It is really well-made. Heavy material, and heavy duty zipper. Both big pluses. Unfortunately, it's just a little too small for my needs, and the side pockets, while very wide, only have two snaps at the outside, so small items will fall out very easily. It's going to be perfect though for my hacksaw, drywall saws, and other miscellaneous large/unwieldy hand tools. I'll probably get another one for my ski wax accessories - wax, scrapers, iron, vises, etc.

So I'm back to my current current gig bag, which is a UC San Diego branded Jansport-style backpack. It's nice that it's wearable, but the dimensions aren't quite right either. But it does have two small zippered compartments where I keep my earplugs, sunblock, swiss army knife, egg shaker, and other small items.

The B&H bag looks nice, but I'm too cheap. Even the $80 compartmentalized cord bag was more than I wanted to spend. It was a relief to send it back, really.

Nice looking bag.

The nice thing now is I can use any old bag I want. I've concentrated on building the rig to minimize the cables needed to hookup the rig. Pedals are are mounted in a pedal case. Snake runs audio to the rack. Sound crew plugs into my rack. 15 years eveything was in road truck and whatever you need was sure to be in the bottom of all that mess. AC power comes from UPS. That bag looks nice. I have few loose doo-dads in Pelikan style pick-foam pistol cases. One case for IEMs , on case for a tablet that runs chart software. It would be nice to get everything in one carrier.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Ive been using a Jansport backpack for a few years now, and Ive been impressed with its durability and featherweight. I have an awesome Gator backpack but Ive never used it. Its so heavy-duty its overkill. My son used it for a few years for school and its still in perfect shape. I just searched for it and apparently theyve discontinued it, which is a shame.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I bought this toolbox...

Plano 22" Power Tool Box #701-001

The closest thing I could find were padded dividers like pro photographers use. I just had to find a set that fit the toolbox, and optimally were a different color than black. Orange or yellow would be great for those dimly lit stages. I never got around to buying one, much less finding one with the closest approximate dimensions. Besides for what they cost, I want it in some other color than black. Either way, it'd be something along these lines...

I did something similar---got two Dewalt boxes, 12 inches high apiece--I put all, but only the gear I will need for the particular gig in one box. I put all the backups and various contingencies in the other box. The boxes have reciprocal velcro, fitting together perfectly, which serves as my seat---24 inches high, which is exactly what I require. No need to ever bring a seat. I love it. And its not uncomfortable at all, in fact I like the added surface area for my arse. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210828614546396&set=pcb.10210828645267164&type=3&theater

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I have a similar bag and really like it - Phitz medium cable bag

One of the zipper pulls fell off at some point but other than that it's been great. It's way more efficient for organizing and retrieving cables and pedals, keeps things way neater than just dumping everything into a duffel bag like I used to do. Definitely a worthwhile purchase IMO.

It seems that since I posted this, the bag is no longer in stock on Amazon (or anywhere, for that matter)

I took a picture of mine just to give an idea of what you can fit in it

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/phitzmediumbag.png

Dimensions of the bag are 20 x 10 x 9 inches. This bag from Cable File (previously mentioned in this thread) is about the same size. Phitz also has the Stage Duffel, which is a nice bag but ended up being too small for me (I actually bought it first but returned it for the medium bag)

I have been using this bag from Musician's Gear for going on 10+ years at this point. It's not been gigged quite as much in the last few years, but it held up to at least 5 years of regular gigs (at least once per week). I've never been a fan of Musician's Gear anything, since it's mostly cheaply made, be it bags, cables, etc. However, if they still make this bag to the same level that they did ten years ago, then it's definitely worth considering. A little on the pricey side, but I've found it to be worth it.

I've used the Eagle Creek Convertabrief for a few years now and I can't imagine life without it. It's expensive ($200 CAD) but guaranteed for life. I fit my laptop, powerbar, Ultimate Support HyperStation QR, Key Largo, mic, computer & Key Largo power, USB & MIDI cables, phone/iPod chargers, and IEMs in that bag. Quarter-inch & XLR cables go in the keyboard gig bags themselves.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I go to Goodwill or equal and buy a nice assortment of athletic? zipper soft bags, for an average of 2.50 each.

It takes a while to find nice ones, so I buy them when I see them, have twice what I need, but for the price who cares?

All of the bags of course have handles, and since most are lightweight, you can carry 3 or 4 at once. The picture ^^^^ a few posts above would go in 3 or 4 bags.

Most the bags don't have extra things in them once you're set up, so you can store them in an emptied keyboard bag if necessary.

Fwiw, Paul

• 1 year later...

Just saw a new cable bag pop up on Amazon! Loudmouth Cable File Bag

I like that they made the interior bright yellow for dimly lit stages and it's got great dimensions at 24" x 11" x 12". Also interesting that they intentionally didn't include exterior pockets?! I wouldn't mind having some. The slots look a bit narrower too, so not sure if they'd fit a small piece of rack-like gear, small mixer or a pedal like a Ventilator.

71nv55uGWdL._SL1500_.jpg

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I like that they made the interior bright yellow for dimly lit stages
Yeah you definitely won't lose that guy if the lid is open.

You know, my wife got me the Gator file bag at the top of this thread for Christmas. She was worried it was too practical a gift, but I was thrilled with it -- it's a tremendous timesaver.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.