Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2952233 - 10/09/18 05:16 PM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: d]
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: d
Originally Posted By: Bluesape
Band of Gypsies!

Almost went w/that myself.
This is the sort of question which's answer seems to me variable on a day-to-day basis.
There are so many options & how can one have only a single iconic fave ?! idk
Even if we draw back to only guitarists the list is great...
Charlie Christian, Les Paul (w/or/w/out Frettin' Chet A), the Who, John Dawson Winter 3rd's Progressive Blues Experiment, one of Zappa';s many (such as ) or our man Jim, represented possibly by the Monterey Pop album he split w/ Otis Redding fronting the MGs (featuring, of course, the masterful Steve Cropper) + other options like the Woodstock alb ("Vilanova Junction", anyone ?)...
...but as I was reviewing the options I remembered this clip, which, while not an alb, leads me to posit not just my fave live music but maybe the best Hendrix live music.

Not only does it showcase JH's skills but it does so in a way that none of his other works do: acoustic rather than electric, no band or other instruments, no flash showmanship, just his masterfully expressive playing & composing + his honest personal connection to the listener.

cool
[Note: while the vid freezes for a moment, it's followed by a secret clip of JH playing acoustic gtr in another offstage situation---don't miss it !]

yep so soulful!!!

GP Island
#2952484 - 10/11/18 04:40 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: Mogut]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
That might be one of the best Jimi filmed(or taped) performances, but...

Most people DO think of a performance in front of an audience in a "concert" setting as more of a "live" performance, and thus any recording of such as a "live" recording.
Whitefang

#2952512 - 10/11/18 08:25 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
It never matters what most think if they think wrong.
Ya can't get more live than JH in those films.
As mentioned above, those clips aren't albums but they are the essence of live perfs.

#2952518 - 10/11/18 08:38 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
+1 I have a DVD of the Shine a Light movie of the Rolling Stones. It is definitely a live performance in front of a fake Hollywood audience (who I know were glad to play the part of the extras!). There are live interviews and guest performances as well. I loved it when Keith Richards gave Buddy Guy his guitar! cool

#2952541 - 10/11/18 09:50 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 I have a DVD of the Shine a Light movie of the Rolling Stones. It is definitely a live performance in front of a fake Hollywood audience (who I know were glad to play the part of the extras!). There are live interviews and guest performances as well. I loved it when Keith Richards gave Buddy Guy his guitar! cool

I think it's actually a New York audience. Wasn't it filmed at the Beacon Theater?

#2952573 - 10/11/18 11:50 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Right you are Scott! I should have said fake New York audience. I think I was thinking more about Martin Scorsese and the way Hollywood uses fake audiences in films. I didn't look up the credits before posting. We can't really tell if there were applause lights, retakes or instructions on when the audience was supposed to scream and go wild for the cameras. I think 99% of their reactions were real but they most likely had some coaching and a few retakes. They may have got paid or they may have just got in free! I would have loved to be able to get in during the filming. cool

#2952677 - 10/12/18 04:05 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Y'know. back in the "day" there were some radio stations that had artists come in and perform with a small crowd of folks in the "studio"( such as it was). and some "sets" were performed "live in the studio" of a record label( or an independent studio the label would often use).

Thus, we got ELTON JOHN'S "11-17-70", the session recorded "live" in a recording studio for broadcast later on WABC radio New York. Pressed onto a platter and released in March, '71.

It, "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Madman Across The Water" are my only EJ lps, and "11-17-70" is my favorite of the three. wink
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (10/12/18 04:06 AM)

#2952704 - 10/12/18 08:14 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang, I liked Honky Chateau, Tumbleweed and Madman...great albums by EJ...I lost interest after Yellow Brick Road.

@ Scott, For some reason the live performances in the 70's albums seemed to be recorded much better (as many of the albums mentioned on this thread demonstrate). I'm guessing there was a breakthrough in live recording as in a lot of prior years, all you could hear was the audience screaming and not really hearing the artists all that well. Live albums just seemed to get better for some reason...Any ideas? cool

#2952714 - 10/12/18 08:59 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Right you are Scott! I should have said fake New York audience. I think I was thinking more about Martin Scorsese and the way Hollywood uses fake audiences in films. I didn't look up the credits before posting. We can't really tell if there were applause lights, retakes or instructions on when the audience was supposed to scream and go wild for the cameras. I think 99% of their reactions were real but they most likely had some coaching and a few retakes. They may have got paid or they may have just got in free! I would have loved to be able to get in during the filming. cool

Sometimes a fake audience is also a real audience.
Dig this scene filmed at the near high point of Beatlemania.
I kinda suspect all the screaming would've happened w/out the pay packets.
Also note what may be the best acting in the film [1:50] when Harrison turns as though to cue Ringo's drum roll.

#2952794 - 10/12/18 07:22 PM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: d]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I can't pick just one favorite live recording, but I'll list some of my favorite live albums, some of which have already been mentioned:

Ted Nugent- Double Gonzo
Steppenwolf- Live
Blue Oyster Cult- Some Enchanted Evening
The Allman Bros. Band- Live at Fillmore East
Derek and the Dominoes- In concert
Live Cream
Deep Purple- Made in Japan
Emerson, Lake and Palmer- Pictures at an Exhibition
Foghat- Live
Mahogany Rush- Live
Gary Moore- The Best of the Blues
James Gang- In Concert
Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer- Live
Jimi Hendrix- Band of Gypsys
Roy Buchanan- Live Stock
UFO- Strangers in the Night
Uriah Heep- Live
Utopia- Live
Cheap Trick- At Budokan

#2952797 - 10/12/18 07:35 PM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Great clip d, some of my favorite Beatles tunes done at a time when I think they were at their best! The harmonies and the backing instrumental runs, chords, arrangements, writing, etc. all drove those crazy girls to the limit. Not sure the audience matched up with the music and could have been filmed at anytime before or after. But, I am sure that was live shots of a real audience. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I caught the cue on the drum roll LOL! I really think the Beatles looked like they were having a great time and looked like the buds that started out as buds! cool cool cool cool

#2952798 - 10/12/18 08:12 PM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: Larryz]
CEB Online   content
10k Club

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2952816 - 10/13/18 04:24 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: CEB]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

@ Larry:

Did'ja ever see that TV special in '72 of The Beach Boys at the Hollywood Bowl hosted by Keith Moon? Elton was "sitting in" on keys for 'em. This was still a bit before EJ's crazy outfits, donald duck costumes and all that hoss-schitt. THAT was when he lost me. Till then I was quite taken....
Whitefang

#2952831 - 10/13/18 08:03 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I remember Elton back in those days in 72...I might have caught the special but not real sure. I found a few clips on YouTube and he looked quite normal back then. I still like a lot of his music from back in the day. He lost me too, with the Liberace outfits LOL! cool

#2952867 - 10/13/18 01:34 PM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

... Not sure the audience matched up with the music and could have been filmed at anytime before or after. But, I am sure that was live shots of a real audience...

When I caleld it a "fake" audience it was in ref to yer remarks abt Scorcese's film abt Lips McGee & the Rambling Stones.
The kids in Hard Dazed Nights were actually there watching The Beatles mime their perf...but they were also paid, hence real/fake.
BTW, for those who hadn't heard, the young Phil Collins was one of the crowd...FWTW. rolleyes

#2952896 - 10/13/18 05:17 PM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

So here's a bit of the real world audience:

cool cool cool cool

#2952940 - 10/14/18 09:08 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Yeah, I heard long ago that Collins was in that "Hard Day's Night" TV station crowd, but I never seem to be able to catch it whenever I watch my DVD of the flick. I do recall on the talk show on which I first heard avbout it they showed( and paused) the spot in which he's seen, but I STILL can't grab it!

Now, I mentioned that "Chuck Berry On Stage" Lp in which all that was done was to press his "greatest hits"( and then some) on a platter with studio added recordings of some audience from somewhere or something.

Forgetting the formula for now, you'll have to make do with a link to the only clip I could find from it....
https://youtu.be/jRsZO760MyM

Whitefang

#2953454 - 10/18/18 04:46 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Another "live" LP I love is the old "NATIONAL LAMPOON/ LEMMINGS" ('73)
wink
Whitefang

#2953479 - 10/18/18 08:31 AM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Delta, it is very hard to pick our favorite live recording, so I won't try to list them all. The Loggins and Messina album contains a lot of my favorite recordings. Another album Fang and I were discussing on another forum regarding Paul Simon's Birthday, is Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. It's one of my favorite albums showcasing some great vocals, lyrics and acoustic guitar work. Many of the tunes on the album were recorded before a live audience with just one cut, and it would be hard for me to pick just one of the recordings on that album too! cool

#2953551 - 10/18/18 02:35 PM Re: What is your favorite live recording [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang

Forgetting the formula for now, you'll have to make do with a link to the only clip I could find from it....
https://youtu.be/jRsZO760MyM

That's this
[video:youtube]*[/video]
w/the YT link stuck between the 2 sections instead of the asterisk

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose