Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1976518 - 08/02/08 11:20 AM Still looking for cloth to wrap panels
tvolhein Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have tried searching the forum and have had no luck. I admit that the search feature of this forum baffles me. But nevertheless, I am wondering what the best material is for covering the acoustic panels.

Burlap is too messy.

I found some monk's cloth. It is good, but $10 per yard.

Speaker cloth is either too expensive or comes only in black (don't want black).

What else breathes enough. I want to get started on the panels.

Thanks in advance.

Also, one other question. Are there dates/times on the threads and responses. I can't find them.

#1976702 - 08/03/08 09:41 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: tvolhein]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
 Originally Posted By: tvolhein
Burlap is too messy.

Messy? Burlap comes in dyed colors and some look fine to me. But that's me. The gold standard in acoustic fabric is Guilford of Maine, but that's very expensive. This is not a big deal. Anything that's basically soft and not too dense a weave is fine.

Quote:
Are there dates/times on the threads and responses.

On the silver-green "bar" at the top right of each post is the date and time.

--Ethan

#1976902 - 08/04/08 06:00 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Ethan Winer]
Glenn Kuras Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
I have worked with both Guilford of Maine and Burlap and IMO burlap looks like something your grandmother would use to make crafts or pillows, GOM looks like something that a pro would use. Guess it just depends on what you are going for. \:\)

Glenn

#1976954 - 08/04/08 08:34 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Glenn Kuras]
MP Hall of Fame Member

High quality dyed burlap looks fine IMO. But you're right about the cheap stuff. Threads are misaligned and vary in thickness. And if it's the standard brown color it looks just like a potato sack. \:D

#1976962 - 08/04/08 08:52 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Ethan Winer]
tvolhein Offline

Originally Posted By: Ethan Winer
 Originally Posted By: tvolhein
Burlap is too messy.

Messy? Burlap comes in dyed colors and some look fine to me. But that's me. The gold standard in acoustic fabric is Guilford of Maine, but that's very expensive. This is not a big deal. Anything that's basically soft and not too dense a weave is fine.

Quote:
Are there dates/times on the threads and responses.

On the silver-green "bar" at the top right of each post is the date and time.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan,

I must have had the cheap brulap. I washed it, ironed it, worked it well, but still looks cheap and left a heck of a mess.

I have some linen samples that I picked up. They breathe well, and are 78% poly. Nice neutral colors. Don't stretch. I am going to wrap a panel or two and see what I think.

Do you have anything against linen? I read the posts on some of DIY sites and another site that gave me the "specs" for acoustic fabric and the linen that I have fits all. (At least 60% polyester, opaque, durable, upholstery weight)

I checked out Guilford, but think that I will try the local stuff, at least first.

Sorry to pester, but this is a big project for me, and I want it to be right.

Also, as it turns out, I had the dates and times switched off in my preferences on the forum. I fixed that.

Thanks again to you and Glenn

Tom

#1977257 - 08/05/08 06:25 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: tvolhein]
Glenn Kuras Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Just a quick story,

When we first started GIK we looked at all kind of fabric. Burlap was one of the fabrics in the running due to price (VERY CHEAP) and could get it in a lot of different colors. Well one of the owners is a women at GIK and when she saw the quality she said "If you use that I want out of this company. I refuse to have my name as part of that look".
Yes I do agree it is cheap and will work, but if you plan on doing a DYI I would think you would want to use the best quality fabrics to make your "craftsmanship" look as good as possible. \:\)

Glenn

Edited by Glenn Kuras (08/05/08 06:27 AM)

#1977270 - 08/05/08 06:43 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Glenn Kuras]
Bassnode Offline

Agreed. The burlap doesn't always look as nice.
That said, here's a cheap source for it:
FabricsOnline
I ordered a few samples and they're ok - not as nice as some other, more expensive brands.

For my traps, I ended up ordering from ATS Acoustics which ended up being almost 1/2 the price of GOM. I've never seen GOM in person, but I think this stuff looks great (wife agrees!).

#1977386 - 08/05/08 12:07 PM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Bassnode]
Speaker Boy Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
A lot of people just use muslin. Which is basically 100% cotton material. Any synthetic blend will breath less. When I went to the craft store the 100% cotton let air pass through pretty well. Plus it is very cheap and looks nice if you install it tight.

#1979128 - 08/11/08 07:15 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Speaker Boy]
tvolhein Offline

Originally Posted By: Speaker Boy
A lot of people just use muslin. Which is basically 100% cotton material. Any synthetic blend will breath less. When I went to the craft store the 100% cotton let air pass through pretty well. Plus it is very cheap and looks nice if you install it tight.

Has anyone used muslin to wrap ceiling panels? The reason I ask is that it is my understanding that cotton "grows" and would sag. I like muslin the best so far for looks and affordability

I have found a fairly good source for speaker cloth http://www.speakerworks.com. It comes really wide, so the yardage works out pretty well to offset the cost.

I watched the Real Traps video and noticed that they glue on the cloth. What kind of glue do they use?

I am still experimenting with the best solution.

Thanks for the replies

t

#1979169 - 08/11/08 08:59 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: tvolhein]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tom,

I have some DIY panels in my home studio wrapped with muslin and they're fine. Muslin is thin and not particularly durable. But it's not terribly flimsy either. One nice thing about muslin is if it stretches you can spritz it with water and make it shrink to be tight again.

As for spray glue, I think we use the standard 3M stuff you can buy in cans at a hardware store. But I'm not sure because we buy it in large pressurized tanks. It's definitely a 3M brand though.

--Ethan

#1979513 - 08/12/08 08:44 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Ethan Winer]
tvolhein Offline

Originally Posted By: Ethan Winer
Tom,

I have some DIY panels in my home studio wrapped with muslin and they're fine. Muslin is thin and not particularly durable. But it's not terribly flimsy either. One nice thing about muslin is if it stretches you can spritz it with water and make it shrink to be tight again.

As for spray glue, I think we use the standard 3M stuff you can buy in cans at a hardware store. But I'm not sure because we buy it in large pressurized tanks. It's definitely a 3M brand though.

--Ethan

Thanks a million. I have purchased some really good looking muslin. One final question. Because muslin will shrink when I spritz it with water, should I forgo the glue? Keeping in mind that these first panels are for a dropped ceiling.

I have some glue and am prepared to use it if necessary, but it sure would be easier to wrap the panels without spraying glue.

Tom

#1979611 - 08/12/08 01:36 PM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: tvolhein]
MP Hall of Fame Member

If you wrap the fabric all around and attach it at the back, I guess glue is not needed.

--Ethan

#1979784 - 08/13/08 07:10 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Ethan Winer]
tvolhein Offline

Thanks Ethan, for all your responses. I am ready to roll.

t

#1980270 - 08/14/08 01:16 PM Observation regarding fabric COLOR... [Re: tvolhein]
mcphoto Offline

Just a general note regarding fabric color - to date my mixing room has 20" wide x 48" corner traps, 24x48x4" panels hanging from the ceiling and mounted on side walls, more panels in the wall to ceiling junctions; a lot of coverage and the results have been dynamite. I did most in black burlap (knee-jerk rock & roll guitarist reaction I suppose) and man... my room is REALLY dark now. Adding that much black really gloomed things up. I'll either start writing goth music or re-wrap some panels in a lighter fabric. Wish I'd thought of that sooner...

#1992627 - 09/17/08 11:20 AM Re: Observation regarding fabric COLOR... [Re: mcphoto]
Derek Drudge Offline

Loc: Florida
Check out the speaker grill cloth at PartsExpress.com.
They have white, black, gray, and brown for $6.90yrd at 70" wide. It should only take about 1.5yrds to wrap a 2'X4' trap covering both sides. That's only about $10 per trap. I ordered a a yard a while back to get a look at it and I thik it is what i will use if i ever get to building some traps. Here is a link to the grill cloth page: PartsExpress http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=140

#1992649 - 09/17/08 12:14 PM Re: Observation regarding fabric COLOR... [Re: mcphoto]
Frank2 Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
 Originally Posted By: mcphoto
Just a general note regarding fabric color - to date my mixing room has 20" wide x 48" corner traps, 24x48x4" panels hanging from the ceiling and mounted on side walls, more panels in the wall to ceiling junctions; a lot of coverage and the results have been dynamite. I did most in black burlap (knee-jerk rock & roll guitarist reaction I suppose) and man... my room is REALLY dark now. Adding that much black really gloomed things up. I'll either start writing goth music or re-wrap some panels in a lighter fabric. Wish I'd thought of that sooner...

yes you are right, it is important to choose a color that will positively match with the room and good mood. Black is not a really good color for that, specialy when you want serious bass trapping(witch mean a lot of basstrap). Design and feng shui sense, if i can say, is a good thing for a studio since it's enhance creativity and diminish long term fatigue.

#1996934 - 09/29/08 08:37 PM Re: Observation regarding fabric COLOR... [Re: Frank2]
elee532 Offline

Anyone know whether a thin microfiber material can work as the cover to superchunk bass traps? Can I put my broadband absorption panels behind this material?

I bought these curtains to hang over the walls where I plan to put my panels. I also want to use them to make the "grills' for my superchunk traps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300260079309

#1996987 - 09/30/08 06:01 AM Re: Observation regarding fabric COLOR... [Re: elee532]
sab Offline

Just a suggestion, I went to walmart and purchased nice material for $2.00 per sq yard. It was in their final sale bin. It cost me $50 to make 20 bass traps. All I did was made sure that I could breath throught the matterial. If air didn't pass, then I didn't use it because I was affraid that it would reflect mid and hi freq. Not sure if this is a viable test or not but the traps seem to be working well.

Some of the colors that I picked up were plain charcoal grey and navy blue.

#1997012 - 09/30/08 07:19 AM Re: Observation regarding fabric COLOR... [Re: sab]
elee532 Offline

Thanks Sab. Unfortunately, I already bought these curtains. Plus, my wife really wants the curtains and trap covers to match. Plus, my room desing plan has many of my broadband absorption panels placed behind these curtains.

If I put the fabric tight up to my mouth and blow moderately hard, my breath does pass through the fabric. I've gotten some conflicting views on whether this is sufficient.

I'm able to send a fabric swatch (and a six-pack :-)) to any expert that is willing to provide a more informed opinion.

#1997329 - 10/01/08 07:07 AM Re: Observation regarding fabric COLOR... [Re: elee532]
NicM Offline

Loc: South Africa
I don't wish to hi-jack your thread, but I agree that Burlap is a little takkie.
Locally we have 'Shade Net, what we call Shadecloth , used for outside covered parking bays (Polyethylen). I've compared Burlap and 'Shadecloth, and the density is about the same, however the Shadecloth looks somewhat "a lot" better and a lot more professional (stretches well). The difference in price is negligible.
Would this covering work???

#2009424 - 11/06/08 08:43 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Ethan Winer]
Mark S Offline

Loc: new york city
I'm using a nice white linen, about $7 to $11 a yard. Very breathable, and small 'pulls' and irregularities give it a nice texture.
-Mark

#2010037 - 11/08/08 12:49 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Mark S]
Chris Telkes Offline

I have been using burlap to make my absorbers. I got my first batch through ATS Acoustics and it was very nice quality. Then I found some at Anna's Linens very cheap...well the quality is not so good.
Right now, the bass traps reflect light because the foil backing on the 703 FSK shines through it. Very annoying. Do you think a second layer of burlap would be detrimental to the sound? I can still blow through it, but I have to have my mouth right on it...is that bad?

#2010047 - 11/08/08 02:48 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: Chris Telkes]
Jesse S Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Speaker cloth is always a good option. Most fabric places carry it in black, white and tan, sometimes other colors. It's usually around $6/yard and looks very smooth when stretched. It's certainly transparent to audio and yet doesn't allow yellow fibre-glass to show through.

#2952477 - 10/11/18 03:34 AM Re: Still looking for cloth to wrap panels [Re: tvolhein]
nathandmol Offline

It is best to use polyester fiber acoustic panel. Polyester fiber acoustic panel is made of 100% polyester fiber and is bonded by heat rather than chemical adhesives. Acoustic polyester fiber panel is widely used in airports, restaurants, gymnasiums, corridors, apartment, conference centres, industrial and manufacturing facilities, radio rooms, stadium, etc.

Moderator:  Ethan Winer