Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2952460 - 10/10/18 11:08 PM Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker
FSharp Offline

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can advise me? I've got a Nord Electro 6D & a Roland D50 and am thinking of buying a Yamaha QSC powered speaker. What I don't know is how to link my keyboards to the speaker. The outputs from my keyboards are 1/4 inch whereas I'm guessing the input on speaker is a single XLR. Would I use a DI box or do I need a mixer? Any help you can give (including product recommendations) would be much appreciated. Thank you :-)
Proteus 2000 sound module

KC Island
#2952461 - 10/10/18 11:33 PM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: FSharp]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Which speaker do you want to buy? I only know QSC as a brand and Yamaha as a brand. Please give some more information on the speaker.

If you plan to buy a QSC K serie, you could connect two boards in mono directly in them. They have combined connections in which you can plug both 1/4Ē plugs and XLR. If you mean a Yamaha DRX serie, Iím not sure about that. They seems to have a stereo in on channel 2. I donít understand this for a mono speaker, but probably you could connect both boards in that as well. Probably it will sum the inputs. Maybe someone can verify.

A mixer will alwas give you more flexibility and probably head room. A DI is advised when connecting to FOH.

#2952487 - 10/11/18 05:14 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: RudyS]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: RudyS
I only know QSC as a brand and Yamaha as a brand.

+1

Ain't no "Yamaha QSC."

#2952490 - 10/11/18 05:32 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: Synthoid]
pjd Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Best advice before buying speakers -- read the manual and try 'em.

My QSC K8s (gen 1) have Neutrik connectors and can handle both 1/4 inch LINE IN and XLR/MIC. I usually hit them with 1/4 inch line level.

You need to check the INs and OUTs of your intended purchase by reading the manual or at least the specs.

All the best -- pj

#2952516 - 10/11/18 08:35 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: pjd]
Delaware Dave Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Even though you might be able to directly connect your keys into the powered speaker, assuming the powered speaker has a sufficient number of inputs, you may find that a small mixer is still necessary in order to properly gain stage the input in order to maximize loudness, sound clarity as well as reduce noise like hiss. I use a small mixer in between my keys and powered monitor to properly gain stage my ELX112P powered speaker, even if I'm using only one keyboard, for this very reason

#2952524 - 10/11/18 08:55 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: FSharp]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: FSharp
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can advise me? I've got a Nord Electro 6D & a Roland D50 and am thinking of buying a Yamaha QSC powered speaker. What I don't know is how to link my keyboards to the speaker. The outputs from my keyboards are 1/4 inch whereas I'm guessing the input on speaker is a single XLR. Would I use a DI box or do I need a mixer? Any help you can give (including product recommendations) would be much appreciated. Thank you :-)

I'll echo what others have said. It would appear that while you have some sort of brand awareness, you haven't read the actual documentation for the speaker(s) you're looking at. If you had, you'd already have a good idea of how things connect to them, and any advice we provide would be far more useful and on point.

So, my advice is to review the models you're looking at, read the technical specs and look at the rear panel connectivity for each one, check the examples they always provide on setups, and come back with a better understanding of the options available. Then, when we suggest that you should be using a mixer and a DI in conjunction with the speaker, it will make a bit more sense. twothumbs

#2952561 - 10/11/18 10:59 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: Sven Golly]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas

Edited by David Loving (10/11/18 11:00 AM)

#2952566 - 10/11/18 11:32 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: RudyS]
FSharp Offline

Many thanks to you all for your advice :-)

Yep I'll go and do some more research.

But greatly reassured by Rudy's advice that you can connect two boards directly into the QSC K series speakers. The simpler the better.

#2952569 - 10/11/18 11:36 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: FSharp]
FSharp Offline

Don't know where I got 'Yamaha' from - sorry

#2952578 - 10/11/18 12:10 PM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: FSharp]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Plugging a keyboard directly into the QSC's input works fine (I've been doing it with my K8s for nine years), however the line input may not have enough gain if you play gigs with loud bands Ė the output from your keyboards may not be hot enough to drive the Ks to the levels needed. I fix that issue easily by switching to "mic" level Ė that gives me more than enough gain. However, only one of the inputs on the QSC can be switched to mic level. On the newer (".2") models, the other inputs are line level only, except for input "B" which has a "Hi-Z" setting they say is appropriate for connecting guitars & basses Ė I couldn't say how that would work for keyboards or whether it would have enough gain. If you need to connect two keyboards, maybe connect the one with less overall level to input A set to mic level.

#2952581 - 10/11/18 12:16 PM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: Reezekeys]
FSharp Offline

Thanks Reezekeys - useful to know. I'm now wondering whether it would be worth investing in a small mixer as Delaware Dave suggests? Any recommendations?

#2952587 - 10/11/18 12:41 PM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: FSharp]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Reezekeys - useful to know. I'm now wondering whether it would be worth investing in a small mixer as Delaware Dave suggests? Any recommendations?

Here is one that I use: link No much bigger than a cigarette pack, can connect three instruments in stereo or mono and has a headphone out so that you could send to another source independently, like front of house.

#2952641 - 10/11/18 04:20 PM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: FSharp]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Rolls unit Dave suggests looks good to me. I presume your keyboards have eq and efx in them so all you really need is gain. Any decent small mixer with at least two stereo inputs should work fine. I like my Rolls PM55P for my in-ear monitoring. Be careful, some of the very cheap mixers might be passive Ė those would be the wrong kind to get (Behringer makes one, I think).

If you think you might do gigs where you'll need an announce mic, or on a duo gig with a vocalist who has no PA, a small mixer with a microphone input is a useful thing to have. This one is pretty reasonable in cost. You can hook up both your keyboards and a mic.

#2952674 - 10/12/18 03:33 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: Reezekeys]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Not to bash brands here, but I have had some serious humming on those rolls mx28 mixers. I wanted one on my pedal board, because of the form factor. I tried two and my bass player has one, which also does some humming (although a bit less than the 2 units I tried). There is a thread about this, but iím on a phone, so canít search it easily now. This issue might be related to the fact that iím in Europe, using a different power supply. It was definitely power supply/ grounding related.

I ended up using my Yamaha MG06x mixer. A really good mixer for that price!

I do use a rolls mixer for my IEM. This doesnít seem to hum that much, although iím never turn the volume knob further that 12 o clock. Also, a bit of humming on monitors doesnít matter to me.

#2952708 - 10/12/18 08:33 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: RudyS]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

In addition to the two methods mentioned (using 2 inputs of the powered speaker, or using a mixer), you also have the option of feeding the D50 Output into the Nord's "montior in" jack, then the sounds of both keyboards will come out the Nord's output. Though in terms of sound quality, maximum level, and convenient control, the mixer approach is probably best.

#2952830 - 10/13/18 07:44 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: RudyS]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RudyS
Not to bash brands here, but I have had some serious humming on those rolls mx28 mixers. I wanted one on my pedal board, because of the form factor. I tried two and my bass player has one, which also does some humming (although a bit less than the 2 units I tried). There is a thread about this, but iím on a phone, so canít search it easily now. This issue might be related to the fact that iím in Europe, using a different power supply. It was definitely power supply/ grounding related.

I ended up using my Yamaha MG06x mixer. A really good mixer for that price!

I do use a rolls mixer for my IEM. This doesnít seem to hum that much, although iím never turn the volume knob further that 12 o clock. Also, a bit of humming on monitors doesnít matter to me.
I could be mistaken but I think some of those hum issues that were mentioned in previous topic posts were traced to the power supplies being used as opposed to the mixer itself. I do wish however that Rolls equipment allowed TRS usage rather than just TS inputs into the mixer. Also, you could take the output of the rolls into a DI, then into the powered speaker. That would eliminate any potential hum while still supplying the adequate signal boost, so two cigarette sized boxes, still a tiny footprinted solution.

#2952834 - 10/13/18 08:15 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: Delaware Dave]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
Also, you could take the output of the rolls into a DI, then into the powered speaker. That would eliminate any potential hum while still supplying the adequate signal boost, so two cigarette sized boxes, still a tiny footprinted solution.

+1

Solves the gain-staging issue, and zero hum.

#2952836 - 10/13/18 08:25 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: Delaware Dave]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, you could take the output of the rolls into a DI, then into the powered speaker. That would eliminate any potential hum while still supplying the adequate signal boost, so two cigarette sized boxes, still a tiny footprinted solution.

I'm pretty sure a DI will bring a line level signal down to mic level Ė so no signal boost there, actually a signal drop.

#2952838 - 10/13/18 08:35 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: Reezekeys]
ChrisDespo Online   content

Loc: Baltimore, MD, US
While I donít own one currently (seriously considering one though) there has been a lot of positive feedback regarding the Radial Key Largo which might check all the boxes... thereís a couple threads on here regarding it ..

#2952847 - 10/13/18 09:10 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: ChrisDespo]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys

I'm pretty sure a DI will bring a line level signal down to mic level Ė so no signal boost there, actually a signal drop.
True regarding line to mic drop but the mixer will boost the signal 22Db, more than offsetting the line to mic drop, so net you still get the stage gain, i.e. enough to adequately drive the speaker properly and more gain than a straight keyboard output to speaker input. Line to mic s/b around a -10db drop while the mixer offers 22Db gain. And this is only if the DI is found to be necessary.

#2952851 - 10/13/18 09:27 AM Re: Linking keyboards to powered Yamaha speaker [Re: Delaware Dave]
ShadowMan Offline

A big +1 on Dave's Rolls MX28 suggetion.

I have several. The newer ones have a 1/8 inch mini headphone as well and the 1/4 inch...which can be used with IEM's.

Depending on the gig I run my keys thru the MX28, into a Radial Stereo DI with the loop 1/4 inch outs to my SSV3 /sub and the balanced outs to the FOH. If just feeding the FOH, I often send the Rolls headphone out to a wedge or two at my feet and have my own level control via the headphone pot.

Sometimes in bigger or louder venues I will loop the headphone out of my MX28 into a Rolls PM351 and mix my own IEMs with a PA feed. I did this last night and just love it - as I can control my ''more me" mix very efficiently.

These are great little workhorses - but definitely spring for a better power supply. The Rolls ones are buzzy and cheap.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner