Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2952425 - 10/10/18 05:41 PM Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing"
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
As well as Woody Goss and Joey Dosik's entry into "Cutest Unison Melody"

And while we're at it...

Jack and Woody's entry into "Best Wurlitzer Duo"

KC Island
#2952438 - 10/10/18 06:39 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: MAJUSCULE]
RichieP_MechE Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
It's not fair that Jack (a drummer) is a better keyboard player than me

#2952450 - 10/10/18 09:03 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: RichieP_MechE]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
I liked that the Wurlitzer video actually had Wurlitzers in it.
Trent Reznor

#2952452 - 10/10/18 09:05 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: RichieP_MechE]
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Fort Collins CO
Originally Posted By: RichieP_MechE
and amazingly enough they're ALL so talented that he's the one that I could do without in the band.

#2952458 - 10/10/18 10:04 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: davedoerfler]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
I liked that the Wurlitzer video actually had Wurlitzers in it.

Very fair point, I almost added the warning.

#2952474 - 10/11/18 03:11 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: MAJUSCULE]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Man I know there’s plenty of space in the mix on Soft Parade, but I still marvel at the punch they can get out of my one but TWO Wurlis in a track.

I wonder if it’s convenience or stubbornness that makes Jack use that MIDI controller for Clav, even though they almost always have a real one onstage. Back when they made Funky Duck, they weren’t as famous.

#2952485 - 10/11/18 04:47 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: samuelblupowitz]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I love the grooves from these guys, but every time I hear them it sounds like just that... a groove with no melody or anything. Am I alone in that?

#2952546 - 10/11/18 10:08 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
jamienewman Offline

Loc: West Lafayette, IN
Originally Posted By: Mighty Ferguson
I love the grooves from these guys, but every time I hear them it sounds like just that... a groove with no melody or anything. Am I alone in that?

I think that's the band's concept. Would make great backing tracks for TV commercials. Wonder if they've done that.

From Wikipedia:

"The band members attended University of Michigan's music school.[1] They first came together as a rhythm section for a performance at the Duderstadt Center, a university facility that houses an arts library and other resources. After reading an interview with German producer Reinhold Mack, band founder Jack Stratton conceived of Vulfpeck as an imagined German version of the U.S. session musicians of the 1960s such as Funk Brothers, Wrecking Crew, and Muscle Shoals. The idea was to channel that era of the live rhythm section."

So, basically, they're a rhythm section.

#2952551 - 10/11/18 10:21 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: jamienewman]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I'd say 1:30 on might count, if "over the top" also means "awesome" smile

#2952557 - 10/11/18 10:44 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: Stokely]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Yowser! Great Stuff. Thanks for sharing thu

I'd add a little Mats Oberg to the playlist (solo at 2.50):

#2952563 - 10/11/18 11:07 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
samuelblupowitz Offline

I think that's a common criticism these guys receive. I think often it's true, and I don't mind that, honestly, but I understand, and most of my real favorite tunes of theirs are the ones with vocalists. Their drummer/guitarist Theo Katzman is a great singer in his own right, and there are also recurring guests like Antwaun Stanley and Joey Dosik.

Some of the instrumentals are a little more melodic, like the bass feature "Dean Town," which audiences have started trying to sing along to. When I saw Vulfpeck in Brooklyn last month, the crowd was not as on their game as this Irish one.

Hopefully that wasn't too evangelical a response on my part!

#2952580 - 10/11/18 12:15 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: samuelblupowitz]
Randelph Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Question:

Several of these videos had some furious jamming on the clav, and the way it looks I can’t imagine they’re actually playing consistent notes, it just looks like they’re randomly whacking on the clav. But it sounds musical.

So are these guys actually playing or are they using the clav as a percussion instrument? Sure looks cool as fudge!

#2952584 - 10/11/18 12:29 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: Randelph]
bfields Offline

"They first came together as a rhythm section for a performance at the Duderstadt Center"

Possibly this?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFGRuqMBeEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_dm8m92Kk

which always makes me smile.

#2952595 - 10/11/18 01:16 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: Randelph]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Originally Posted By: Randelph
Several of these videos had some furious jamming on the clav, and the way it looks I can’t imagine they’re actually playing consistent notes, it just looks like they’re randomly whacking on the clav. But it sounds musical.

So are these guys actually playing or are they using the clav as a percussion instrument? Sure looks cool as fudge!

Probably a mix of the two. When I play funky rhythmic clav, it's a combination of chordal stabs in the right hand, left hand octaves or fifths (with occasional passing notes), and muted ghost note clusters which may or may not be shaped like the chords. Working the wah pedal hard gives it that "Shaft" effect.

#2952598 - 10/11/18 01:19 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: bfields]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Originally Posted By: bfields
"They first came together as a rhythm section for a performance at the Duderstadt Center"

Possibly this?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFGRuqMBeEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_dm8m92Kk

I forgot that those videos of Jack's old band existed. They were super cool. Apparently one of the reasons Jack started a smaller band is because he realized nobody in his giant band had any interest in trying to make a living doing it.

I think the first actual Vulfpeck session the article is referencing, though, is this:

#2952599 - 10/11/18 01:29 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: samuelblupowitz]
bfields Offline

"Would make great backing tracks for TV commercials. Wonder if they've done that."

For what it's worth: https://variety.com/2018/music/news/song...ket-1202743616/

#2952646 - 10/11/18 04:59 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: bfields]
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Michigan
There is nothing Vulfpeck cant do... pure and simple

#2952695 - 10/12/18 06:56 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: Stokely]
Joe P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Valley, NJ
Originally Posted By: Stokely

That was totally BADASS! rawk thu

#2952697 - 10/12/18 07:18 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: Joe P]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Joe P
Originally Posted By: Stokely

That was totally BADASS! rawk thu

Yeah, Medeski both makes me want to quit and practice somehow at the same time smile I've seen MMW twice and those were religious experiences. Definite a band to see live.

#2952768 - 10/12/18 03:27 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: Stokely]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
The Clavinet in this is great
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0lxBeVZ14
Same with the synth lead.
I wonder who the guy on clav is? He sounds like he was in an R&B band back in the day.

Edited by Music Bird (10/12/18 03:28 PM)

#2952770 - 10/12/18 03:57 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: samuelblupowitz]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: jamienewman

I think that's the band's concept. Would make great backing tracks for TV commercials. Wonder if they've done that.

From Wikipedia:

"The band members attended University of Michigan's music school.[1] They first came together as a rhythm section for a performance at the Duderstadt Center, a university facility that houses an arts library and other resources. After reading an interview with German producer Reinhold Mack, band founder Jack Stratton conceived of Vulfpeck as an imagined German version of the U.S. session musicians of the 1960s such as Funk Brothers, Wrecking Crew, and Muscle Shoals. The idea was to channel that era of the live rhythm section."

So, basically, they're a rhythm section.
Originally Posted By: samuelblupowitz

I think that's a common criticism these guys receive. I think often it's true, and I don't mind that, honestly, but I understand, and most of my real favorite tunes of theirs are the ones with vocalists. Their drummer/guitarist Theo Katzman is a great singer in his own right, and there are also recurring guests like Antwaun Stanley and Joey Dosik.

Some of the instrumentals are a little more melodic, like the bass feature "Dean Town," which audiences have started trying to sing along to. When I saw Vulfpeck in Brooklyn last month, the crowd was not as on their game as this Irish one.

Hopefully that wasn't too evangelical a response on my part!

Pretty much what I was gonna say. Their vocal tunes are quite catchy and interesting.

I am actually surprised that they haven't incorporated real clav over the Korg controller+software yet. They have the money and go hard on the vintage everything else. Clav also feels so different on the real thing. idk Jack, what the deal, dude?

#2952782 - 10/12/18 05:20 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: RichieP_MechE]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Originally Posted By: RichieP_MechE

As is Louis Cole, the guy drummig in the video. All these guys are so amazingly talented.

#2952984 - 10/14/18 08:03 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: RudyS]
slaygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I just realized I posted the same video, sorry for the redundancy! These guys are amazing musicians. Here's a live show, pretty damn great, including mega instrument switching with incredible chops. This is 1.5 hrs, I watched the whole thing, it's awesome with guest players and singers and comedic narration.

#2952986 - 10/14/18 08:29 PM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: slaygetter]
bfields Offline

I'm also pretty amused by the new Vulfpeck offshoot, the "Fearless Flyers", which seems to play with the guitars all set on stands.
Doesn't that just put the guitarists back in the situation that keyboardists have to resort to keytars to escape?

#2953016 - 10/15/18 07:19 AM Re: Jack Stratton's entry into "Most Over-The-Top Clav Playing" [Re: slaygetter]
Morrisseysixman Offline

Loc: Midwest
These guys are great showmen.

On the topic of whether they have melody, I think it is remarkable that they their crowds regularly sing along to the BASS line on the song Dean Town. Check out 1 hour 22 minutes in live show embedded above. (Edit: Oops... just noticed someone already mentioned that above)

Edited by Morrisseysixman (10/15/18 07:26 AM)

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner