Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elton John #2951944 10/08/18 01:15 PM
S
SteinwayB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I had the pleasure of hearing EJ in Boston for his fairwell tour. We had great seats and his performance was spectacular. Having grown up on Yellow Brick Road, seeing him live was on my bucket list and I was not disappointed. His voice was great as was his playing, and his band was great with 2 drummers (including Nigel!), percussionist, guitarist, bass and keyboardist. There was definitely a sense of sadness which could be due to the "farewell" nature of the tour, but probably more a reflection of the challenges and demons he has had to face. He played a Yamaha grand but I don't think he used the natural voice of the grand, sounded more like an electric grand; perhaps that's how it was mic'ed. On some of the ballads he used strings and bass layers. Interestingly his keyboardest used 2 K2600's, a Motif, and another keyboard I could not identify. It was curious that he used a lot of B3 emulations on the K2600. I would expect him to have a dedicated clone rather than 18 year old technology. They did Funeral for a Friend/Love lies Bleeding and the synth intro was all pre-recorded. It would have been cool if they played it live; could easily be done with 2 keybaordists. Anyway, great performance by an icon that I will remember for a long time. Now if I could just get those songs out of my head so I can get some work done!

KC Island
Re: Elton John [Re: SteinwayB] #2951947 10/08/18 01:27 PM
Synthoid Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: SteinwayB
They did Funeral for a Friend/Love lies Bleeding and the synth intro was all pre-recorded.

frown

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Re: Elton John [Re: Synthoid] #2951950 10/08/18 01:30 PM
M
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
I saw him in vegas. I had front row seats. I was acting really rowdy amongst a very tame audience, so he got up and pointed at me!!! Was so cool

-Greg
Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent
Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255
Re: Elton John [Re: Mogut] #2951969 10/08/18 02:41 PM
J
J Graul Offline
J
Surprising that they're using a recording now for Funeral For a Friend. I've seen him 3 times. The first time with Gus Babylon and the other two with Kim Bullard. Both played the opening parts, or at least the bulk of it.

Re: Elton John [Re: J Graul] #2951990 10/08/18 04:30 PM
EricBarker Offline
As long as I can remember, I've always seen EJ playing Yamaha's. I've never checked whether he's an endorsee, but I would assume he is. Surprised there was a Kurz on stage, at all, but sometimes I forget that the musicians are individually endorsed, his keyboardist may be a Kurz endorsee. I suspect for someone as large as EJ it gets very complicated behind the scenes.

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio."

MacBook Pro running MainStage and various plugins (NI and other)
Arturia Keylab88, Mojo61, Seaboard Rise49, Vortex Keytar (RIP), Trumpet
Re: Elton John [Re: EricBarker] #2952048 10/09/18 07:26 AM
samuelblupowitz Offline
Iím fairly certain that Eltonís piano is just a shell for a controller; heís been fully digital for many years now.

Iím also surprised about the Funeral for a Friend synth intro. It was pre recorded through the 70s and 80s; Guy Babylon was the first sideman to actually play it live. I think the last time I saw Elton, Guy was still with him, but I believe J Graul that Kim has been doing it too. Surprising if they shifted it.

Was the drum/percussion section Nigel, John Mahon, and Ray Cooper? John is brilliant but Ray is just special.

A little sad I didnít snap up tickets for this tour. Elton is one of my musical North Stars. Iíve been lucky enough to see him three times, and he is as professional as a live performer gets. My favorite memory was when he busted out Madman Across the Water when I saw him in 2009. The interplay between him, Nigel, and Davey Johnstone during the solo section... thereís something magic about watching a group of musicians who have played together for 40 years.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Re: Elton John [Re: EricBarker] #2952050 10/09/18 07:44 AM
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted By: EricBarker
As long as I can remember, I've always seen EJ playing Yamaha's. I've never checked whether he's an endorsee, but I would assume he is. . .

I remember that Ďremote liveí experiment he was toying with, casting his concert playing to the disklavier piano in your living room. Sir Elton plays for you in real time, lol. Not sure I need anyone inspecting my live playing without the comforting shield of the rest of the band.
However, it would be cool to hear a concert pianist that way.

Yamaha P515, Yamaha KX88, Edirol PCR-800 (2), Korg microKey 61 Air, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other controllers and retired boards.
Re: Elton John [Re: Bobby Simons] #2952052 10/09/18 08:24 AM
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
He was still using MIDIed MKS-20 Piano Modules from the 80's last I had heard Ö as amazing as that fact is...if not he has only stopped using them in the past 3-4 years! I almost sold mine to Marcia Ball...that was about 8 years ago....she was still looking for them as they were becoming harder to find... I opened for he and we talked in the green room about it...

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122
Re: Elton John [Re: Legatoboy] #2952095 10/09/18 11:49 AM
richforman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Going tonight! Funny thing was, I totally had it wrong in my mind and thought the show I had tickets for was next month, until last night luckily I was fiddling with my Google calendar scheduling some band rehearsals, I saw the entry I had put in there months ago for Elton on today's date and I was sure it had been a mistake and was going to go to the event and change it, but thank goodness I decided to double-check the ticket in my ticketmaster app, and sure enough it's tonight. Great seats! I would have missed it and thrown away hundreds of dollars!

Have seen Elton more than any other act, way over 20 times, I know it will be a thrill and a wonderful show. (I remember I've seen him on October 9th in years past as well, and I'll bet anything he does "Empty Garden" to honor birthday boy John Lennon tonight.) My favorite is always when he pulls out deeper album cuts which I hope he has a bunch of tonight. Most times it sure seemed to me they played Funeral live, are you sure they didn't this time? They can recreate it damned accurately, and if it's the opener of the show, maybe they just keep the lights down and don't highlight the keyboardist playing it, keeping the stage dark until EJ enters with the piano part.

Here strictly for fun is one of several videos I have of my own humble stab at Funderal for a Friend with my classic rock cover band, this one in artsy black and white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvoo8JP0cN8&t=0s&list=PL4C69B44C14C39413&index=6

Rich Forman
Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,
Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Re: Elton John [Re: richforman] #2952105 10/09/18 12:54 PM
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Elton John was the first rock concert I ever attended. It was the "Louder Than The Concorde But Not Quite As Pretty" tour, I believe in 1976. It was at MSG and he opened with "Grow Some Funk Of Your Own", rising from a platform on stage dressed as the Statue of Liberty. This was right about the Captain Fantastic release time period, because he did a bunch of stuff from that including a cool version of "Tell Me When The Whistle Blows" using a boys choir for background vocals.

I've seen him live two other times, once again at the Garden and at Giants Stadium the first time he did that joint tour with Billy Joel -- maybe '92?

The 2nd time I saw him at MSG was when he was playing the Roland V-Piano. It was a actually a bit silly, as it was on a platform that they elevated during a piano solo piece.

Rich, it was at that concert that he also played "Empty Garden". He spoke very fondly about John Lennon when introducing the tune. After playing the song, he said he will always play it when he performs in New York. I hope he holds true.

I think I've said here before, but when I was young, I copied his left hand "power octaves" approach, and it took me years to get rid of that habit.

Last edited by Rusty Mike; 10/09/18 02:41 PM. Reason: fixing the dates and details

Mike from Central NJ
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Toys: More gear than I could afford when I had talent and did this for a living
Re: Elton John [Re: Rusty Mike] #2952107 10/09/18 01:04 PM
MuzikTeechur Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Saw EJ about 17 years ago at the Fleet Center in Boston. He and Billy Joel together. The show was over 4 hours long. EJ & BJ for about and hour, then BJ for an hour or more, then EJ for about the same amount of time, then together for the remainder of the show.
EJ went through about 8 costume changes, each one more ridiculous than the prior!

But I was absolutely blown away by Elton John's playing. I was more of a Billy Joel fanboy, but Elton won me over that night.
A few years later I scored tickets to an EJ solo show in Portland (Maine). Really amazing to hear him live, unscripted, and just enjoying himself. I think he was tuning up for a tour later that year. Must have been 2008 or so.

Great talent. Glad he's going out in style.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, Music History, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Re: Elton John [Re: MuzikTeechur] #2952112 10/09/18 01:30 PM
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The keyboardist is Kim Bullard, his rig hasn't changed. This picsis from 2013.

IMG_6416 by Mike Martin, on Flickr

IMG_6349 by Mike Martin, on Flickr

Re: Elton John [Re: Mike Martin] #2952117 10/09/18 01:57 PM
Dave Bryce Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
We're seeing them at the Forum in Feb. boing

I've been an EJ fan since I was in my early teens. I've definitely swiped a bunch of his playing and songwriting style.

It's taken on a whole new aspect for me since my friend Matt Bissonette got the gig playing bass with him. One degree of Kevin Bacon... cool

dB

Re: Elton John [Re: Dave Bryce] #2952137 10/09/18 03:06 PM
S
SteinwayB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It is possible I am mistaken about Funeral for a Friend. It was quite dark backstage and it's possible I didn't see Kim playing; you would expect a spotlight on him for that intro.

Re: Elton John [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2952150 10/09/18 03:31 PM
Doberfort Offline
Originally Posted By: samuelblupowitz
Iím fairly certain that Eltonís piano is just a shell for a controller; heís been fully digital for many years now.

According to this article you are wrong.

http://www.yamaha.com/allaccess/artists/issue4-john_elton.asp?issue=issue4

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -
- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

Re: Elton John [Re: richforman] #2952156 10/09/18 03:59 PM
Synthoid Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: richforman
Here strictly for fun is one of several videos I have of my own humble stab at Funderal for a Friend with my classic rock cover band, this one in artsy black and white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvoo8JP0cN8&t=0s&list=PL4C69B44C14C39413&index=6

thu

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Re: Elton John [Re: Doberfort] #2952158 10/09/18 04:04 PM
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
That's really cool. I like articles like that where the artist has support from the manufacturer (money helps). Roy Bittan feels the same way for Yamaha gear as Elton does. They make some good pianos and are pretty consistent model to model. I have a couple Steinway's where I practice at the music school that sound bad despite being well built.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Re: Elton John [Re: Doberfort] #2952181 10/09/18 05:48 PM
samuelblupowitz Offline
Originally Posted By: Doberfort

According to this article you are wrong.

http://www.yamaha.com/allaccess/artists/issue4-john_elton.asp?issue=issue4

Wow, I had no idea he was playing those hybrid Yamahas. Someone just shared an article on here about how Mike Garson recorded his solo Bowie album with Disklaviers. Good on Elton that he gets to play a real Yamaha every night (even if he still layers those goofy string patches over it sometimes).

Now Billy Joel, Iím fairly certain, is still just using a shell with a controller. Dave Rosenthal talked about it in a keyboard mag video ancouple of years ago.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Re: Elton John [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2952184 10/09/18 06:05 PM
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I got to see him in Vegas during his red piano era...2004 or 05 maybe? My band was playing in Vegas, and on our night off, I ended up going by myself, front row $200, right in front of Elton. Great sounding venue and show. He was here in ABQ earlier this year, but he was literally playing in the rodeo facility which.....no.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.
Re: Elton John [Re: Tonysounds] #2952243 10/09/18 09:43 PM
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
The EJ 1979 tour with Ray Cooper on percussion was a special concert. Saw them at the NY Palladium. Great sound. Just awesome.

Re: Elton John [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2952247 10/09/18 10:04 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Someone just shared an article on here about how Mike Garson recorded his solo Bowie album with Disklaviers.

wave

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. wink

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Elton John [Re: richforman] #2952277 10/10/18 01:34 AM
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: richforman
My favorite is always when he pulls out deeper album cuts which I hope he has a bunch of tonight.

When I saw him in the 2000s I was delighted that they played ĎDixie Lilyí, from Caribou. Totally unexpected.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin
Re: Elton John [Re: Synthaholic] #2952322 10/10/18 10:12 AM
richforman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My first time seeing EJ, 39 years ago, was at the Tower Theatre in Upper Darby, PA, a movie theatre that sat maybe 1500, it was that tour you mentioned, just him and Ray, amazing. They did one song together without the rest of the band last night too, the only real big-surprise rare/deep-cut of the night, "Indian Sunset" off of Madman Across the Water. (His minor hit "Believe" from 1990 was another nice surprise for me.)

"Funeral for a Friend" was absolutely not pre-recorded but rather played live, I can assure everybody!

Rich Forman
Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Re: Elton John [Re: richforman] #2952324 10/10/18 10:19 AM
M
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
If you can find it, watch elton unplugged MTV from the 90's. Just him and an acoustic

-Greg
Re: Elton John [Re: Mogut] #2952347 10/10/18 12:02 PM
M
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
benny from that unplugged

-Greg
Re: Elton John [Re: Legatoboy] #2953966 10/21/18 07:01 PM
L
LarsHarner Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
He was still using MIDIed MKS-20 Piano Modules from the 80's last I had heard Ö as amazing as that fact is...if not he has only stopped using them in the past 3-4 years! I almost sold mine to Marcia Ball...that was about 8 years ago....she was still looking for them as they were becoming harder to find... I opened for he and we talked in the green room about it...

Hi- that's a really cool story about Marcia Ball- I have always wanted to see her live as I enjoy her playing (missed her in Philadelphia a few years ago). I do remember on Elton's 1992 tour that he was using a Roland early RD model so he could face the audience. I believe he had started this on the 1988 Reg Strikes Back tour.

Re: Elton John [Re: LarsHarner] #2953967 10/21/18 07:06 PM
L
LarsHarner Offline
L
He is my 3rd favorite (after Billy Joel and the Rolling Stones). I went to the concert last month; and have one next year and maybe one in a few weeks.Compared to other tours I was very impressed with how the band sounded (even better than usual)- but I could not tell if the intro to Funeral was being played (I thought I did see his keyboard player on it). I thought the pacing was good with putting some solo piano sounds interspersed,but would like a few more album cuts beside Alice and Burn Down The Mission. I was surprised he didn't add Empty Garden at MSG this weekend

Re: Elton John [Re: Mogut] #2954019 10/22/18 09:49 AM
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted By: Mogut
benny from that unplugged

That was a treat to watch - thanks for sharing.

Re: Elton John [Re: Rusty Mike] #2954021 10/22/18 10:05 AM
M
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
M
I've been a fan since 'Tumbleweed Connection.' What a vibe that one has!

He's given us a lot of great music.

Re: Elton John [Re: Mike Davis] #2954040 10/22/18 11:56 AM
richforman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FWIW it's worth Lars I'm with you, as much as I enjoyed the EJ concert I caught a few weeks back in Long Island, I had hoped he'd dig a little deeper for a few more rarities or surprise cuts. His patter towards the beginning and comments before the tour led me to hope he would, but it was about 99% the same set list as on many shows I've seen him do before. The only real surprise was "Indian Sunset." Reviews I've read mention "Take Me to the Pilot," "Burn Down the Mission" and "All the Young Girls Love Alice" but none are really rarities, TMTTP is on pretty much every show and the other two are on many. "Believe" was very nice to hear. I would have loved to hear "Nikita," and one I've never seen him do, "Bite Your Lip (Get Up and Dance)," a hit in its time but long forgotten!

Rich Forman

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner