Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One. The Polyphonic.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Consequently there come up questions ...

1.)

Are the LFOs all fast enough, don´t alias and go up into the audio range.

EDIT:

From the other article: "Moog One offers four wide-range LFOs per voice"

Now, it depends on what "wide range" means ...

From the Reddit discussion, Amos from Moog said:

"In addition, the four LFOs can extend well into the audio range, to provide audio-rate modulation of virtually any mod destination."

I wonder if they can track the keyboard while running at audio range. That would make FM very interesting.

Moe

---

I'm no modular maven, but I raised an eyebrow at the 4 CV Outs and 2 CV Ins. If someone can take up an $8k Moog, doesn't it seem likely that many such buyers will be running some modular gear from the beast? That's where its sound-design potential becomes surreal. It clearly has its own strong voice, but I get the feeling that at least a few people will be using it to command anything from MoogerFoogers to Buchlas, depending on specs, of course. Are you ready for the new Patrick Moraz surrogate, with a Moog One front and center and a TONTO-like ring of ARP 2600s, Obies and Euroracks around him? Or her, since we've seen some impressive women crop up lately, no less savvy n' GAS-y than the guys. :laugh:

Give it a year. Someone is going to appear who makes a mini-TONTO of it and raises the bar on wizardry. Besides, that's only the CV aspect. I'm just plain enjoying the depth of it. :thu:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Toward the end of this video, at about 1:06:42 Amos mentions that "we do intend to fully support polyaftertouch over MIDI...that is in the plans;" I have heard that exact same sentiment regarding the Alesis Andromeda and the Studioelectronics Omega 8 and ended up being disappointed. You guys know me...this is now a no go for me until they prove otherwise.

[video:youtube]

I expected at least a half-dozen more demos on YouTube by now. Surprising. :idk

Probably be a while before the floodgates open. People will have to save their pennies to buy one, er...One. This ain't a budget item. I doubt I'll ever own one--even buying used.

At this point I'm guessing that the number of demos is down to how many Moog Ones are out there for evaluation. A dozen, perhaps? Two dozen? The Moog video shows Chick Corea playing one, but someone like him isn't going to do a One demo video--he's going to be making music.

I remember when the Behringer Model D finally came out and they were so hard to get. It took a while for demo videos to show up.

I'm guessing that Keith Emerson's ghost is pretty annoyed that the One didn't come out earlier...not that it would have helped with his hand problems or anything, but imagine the fun that someone like him would have had with one of these back in the ELP days. I'm banking on Rick Wakeman to make good use of it.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I'm afraid that there might be a 16 voice in my future.

Same here.

But as always, I prefer waiting some time and finding out more.

I watched those MOOG live-streams which I downloaded from Youtube as also the other demos available,- the functionality of this analog machine is amazing and it sounds great as far as I can tell listening to online vids, but it´s also a complex machine software wise and I imagine they might have to eliminate some from demos hidden teething problems too.

And I´ll carefully observe the price trend because up to now, I´m not sure about selling Minimoog D, Xpander and a few more.

It will be a big investment in EUR plus VAT, customs and shipping.

A.C.

Toward the end of this video, at about 1:06:42 Amos mentions that "we do intend to fully support polyaftertouch over MIDI...that is in the plans;" I have heard that exact same sentiment regarding the Alesis Andromeda and the Studioelectronics Omega 8 and ended up being disappointed. You guys know me...this is now a no go for me until they prove otherwise.

That´s why I´ll wait and observe the evolution.

Soooo many features and more promises in addition,- and for the price it all should be more than perfect.

I have hi-end products in my home I wait for important updates since years,- and I get older.

When those updates will never come, the gear will be rendered useless (because it has to move on w/ computer technology).

When the updates come and don´t work flawlessly and as expected,- I´ll have to wait longer ...

When the updates come too late, I´m retired already or too ill, dead or whatelse.

Actually, when I decide to buy something, it has to work 100% NOW,- especially when I have to invest 8-10K EUR.

I´ll wait for the real-world customer reports and because there won´t be very much people on the planet who can afford the One quickly, we won´t read too many of these reports I fear.

We´ll see ...

A.C.

Probably be a while before the floodgates open. People will have to save their pennies to buy one, er...One. This ain't a budget item. I doubt I'll ever own one--even buying used.

At this point I'm guessing that the number of demos is down to how many Moog Ones are out there for evaluation. A dozen, perhaps? Two dozen? The Moog video shows Chick Corea playing one, but someone like him isn't going to do a One demo video--he's going to be making music.

I remember when the Behringer Model D finally came out and they were so hard to get. It took a while for demo videos to show up.

I'm guessing that Keith Emerson's ghost is pretty annoyed that the One didn't come out earlier...not that it would have helped with his hand problems or anything, but imagine the fun that someone like him would have had with one of these back in the ELP days. I'm banking on Rick Wakeman to make good use of it.

Grey

Ive preordered a 16. I plan on (MAYBE) making a few demo videos as my first foray into doing so, even though I am more of a piano/organ player than expert synthesist. I have a particular slant I want to take, which would basically be to answer some of the questions I had personally as a potential buyer. Can it replace keyboard X to some degree? What to the oscillators sound like naked A/Bd with some other synths I might know well? How about the filters? What might I miss out on (or not) by getting an 8 voice? What are some small feature requests that could open up other new approaches?

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Grey

Ive preordered a 16. I plan on (MAYBE) making a few demo videos as my first foray into doing so, even though I am more of a piano/organ player than expert synthesist. I have a particular slant I want to take, which would basically be to answer some of the questions I had personally as a potential buyer. Can it replace keyboard X to some degree? What to the oscillators sound like naked A/Bd with some other synths I might know well? How about the filters? What might I miss out on (or not) by getting an 8 voice? What are some small feature requests that could open up other new approaches?

We are waiting for your demo videos!!!

I hope you will enjoy your new beast!!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

While I freely admit to having major GAS for this, I'm not really sure whether I want it because it's shiny & new, because it will be a collectable, or because it might do something that the current synths in the collection don't.

But really, is it going to be $8K of satisfaction better than my A6, or my Solaris? Will I love the individual voice sound more than my Sub 37 or Model D reissue? Of course, only time and exposure to the One in real life will tell.... Thoughts? Practicality vs. want.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

I was referring to those regular YouTubers who review synths. They seem to have big budgets, or will at least receive keyboards to demo from the manufacturer.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

While I freely admit to having major GAS for this, I'm not really sure whether I want it because it's shiny & new, because it will be a collectable, or because it might do something that the current synths in the collection don't.

But really, is it going to be $8K of satisfaction better than my A6, or my Solaris? Will I love the individual voice sound more than my Sub 37 or Model D reissue? Of course, only time and exposure to the One in real life will tell.... Thoughts? Practicality vs. want.

I think one voice, sans modulation and effects, will sound "better" at least as a classic Moog solo or bass voice on your Model D reissue. The new oscillators have additional tonal shaping capabilities though, and The One has obviously everything else that the Model D doesn't have. 8 Model D's might sound glorious on as a giant Poly on their own, but less so in a mix. 8 grand better than your Andromeda? I doubt that, and that would be a closer comparison, but again a different animal.

I think a Model D would be the perfect compliment to The One. The former for one tonally glorious mono voice, and the latter for all the other things it can do. In fact after getting The One, I will consider selling my Voyager to get a Model D.

For me - it came at just the right time. I've been thinking I have too many synths that I've dug into say 60%. I can sell off some, still keep a fair amount, and get enough money back to pay for the 8 voice outright, or to chip in to get the 16 voice. I am kind of a roots and rock songwriter/piano/organ player as a rule, but have just started a synth heavy project. It appeals to me to have one centerpiece of an instrument to really delve into, with a very wide pallatte, nice performance features, etc. It also appeals that other than the insiders who have had the instrument for a while, I will be jumping into new ground and finding my own way to utilize this great tool. My mind is already racing and I have questions about whether it can do certain things, that are probably too arcane to even ask about, since I am not sure anyone else would care.

Ultimately though, it is just a keyboard, and an expensive one. That said, it is less expensive than my mid-range level piano, worth about $242,000 less than one of my friends '59 Les Paul, costs less than a super high end microphone or some other studio gear, and way less than a serious horn or string player would spend on their instrument. I will likely play this until I can't play anymore, then pass it on to my son.

The Matrixbrute I just sold will be the item I will miss the most. It scratched the same itch as the somewhat spartan modular system I sold off to get it, and this should scratch that itch and then some. That and the Moogerfooger 104M might be the 2 things I would repurchase next year.

I guess I should update my sig!

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I'm no modular maven, but I raised an eyebrow at the 4 CV Outs and 2 CV Ins. If someone can take up an $8k Moog, doesn't it seem likely that many such buyers will be running some modular gear from the beast?

Only a minority of today's modular users have any interest in utilizing piano/organ skills - "I don't play keyboard" is one of the reasons I've seen posted by some as to why they don't want a Moog One . Some of them would be very interested if a module version with decent CV and audio connectivity were released.

That all said, there is that minority of modular owners who do play keys, and I could easily see those few crosspatching a One with CV-enabled effects devices, Moog's own DFAM, modular and semimodular system, etcs.

Speaking of women, I could see Paris Strother, who appears in the intro video and is the keyboardist of the Minneapolis-based trio King, rocking a One-powered rig. She already has an arsenal of synths both vintage and modern.

Amos said MPE is planned in an OS update in the Reddit thread.

Moog's own Animoog and Model 15 have had MPE support since the beginning of MPE, and apparently the same people that worked on those apps are now working on the One.

I don't recall poly AT being mentioned in the Reddit thread, because nobody asked, but I don't see why they would add MPE without poly AT.

The keyboard itself doesn't seem to have poly AT. A module version would make sense for those who prefer to use their favorite poly AT keyboard or MPE controller.

"But really, is it going to be $8K of satisfaction better than my A6, or my Solaris? .... Thoughts? Practicality vs. want."

The few videos I've seen make it clear to me that the Moog One is truly a musical instrument - the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts. Does a primo Stradivarius really provide millions of dollars worth of satisfaction more than a well made contemporary violin? Hell yes it does.

At that price I will just have to live with my DeepMind 12. Unless Behringer can make one with similar specs that would allow me feed my family too. I would like a Shelby Cobra too, but I would settle for one of the many copies.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

if I sold every other piece of music gear (not including the Wurlitzer) I own and my car, I could just about buy it. I kinda need a car to get to work, though.

Yaknow, I don't really have any debt... maybe its time to start living the American dream.

At that price I will just have to live with my DeepMind 12. Unless Behringer can make one with similar specs that would allow me feed my family too. I would like a Shelby Cobra too, but I would settle for one of the many copies.
but really, I think my most reasonable option is selling my semi-functional JD-800 and buying a new Deepmind 6 or 12 that functions perfectly. Compromise, right?

I hope Moog does follow through on implementing polyAT. Alesis promised it in the Andromeda and got as far as including it in the list of modulation sources, but it never happened.

TELL ME ABOUT IT! :taz::taz::taz::taz::taz:

There is no way I am spending $8000 (or even $80!) on a polysynth that doesn't respond to PolyAT. I learned my lesson with both the Andromeda and SE Omega 8.