Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cable file bag?

cedar

Just came across this item, and considering making a purchase.

51VxUc2erUL._SX425_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-File-Bag-Accessories-Organizer/dp/B00BJ8Q49S

Does this seem worthwhile? Most of my gigs recently are jazz trio gigs. I currently place some cables in cases for the separate gear but need a small bag to carry others (i.e., cables for small mixer, PA system and extension cords). I also generally bring a a backpack for a variety of smaller things (like small mixer, ZOOM recorder, Microsoft Surface, business cards etc.). Maybe this bag could handle all those things, plus add some organization?

Opinions? Alternatives?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar bag and really like it - Phitz medium cable bag

One of the zipper pulls fell off at some point but other than that it's been great. It's way more efficient for organizing and retrieving cables and pedals, keeps things way neater than just dumping everything into a duffel bag like I used to do. Definitely a worthwhile purchase IMO.

Does this seem worthwhile?

I have been using this exact bag for the past six years under a heavy gigging, touring and rehearsing workload. I mainly keep instrument cables in it but I also use it/have used it for IEC cables, extension leads, small mixers, powerboards, batteries, pedals and miscellaneous bits and bobs.

It keeps me exceptionally organised and reduces my stress levels during set up and tear down. It also helps me ensure I never leave anything behind at a gig as I know exactly what should be in each slot.

The bag is often the recipient of compliments from stage techs, particularly those who share my passion for cable management.

TL;DR - "Yes".

Does this seem worthwhile?

I have been using this exact bag for the past six years under a heavy gigging, touring and rehearsing workload. I mainly keep instrument cables in it but I also use it/have used it for IEC cables, extension leads, small mixers, powerboards, batteries, pedals and miscellaneous bits and bobs.

It keeps me exceptionally organised and reduces my stress levels during set up and tear down. It also helps me ensure I never leave anything behind at a gig as I know exactly what should be in each slot.

The bag is often the recipient of compliments from stage techs, particularly those who share my passion for cable management.

TL;DR - "Yes".

I'm sold. I see it comes in two versions, one somewhat smaller than the other. Now I just need to decide which size is best.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on this discussion I bought the smaller of the two bags. It arrived yesterday and after playing with it for 5 minutes decided to send it back. For a couple reasons.

The interior dimensions are smaller that the item description by a couple inches. Properly coiled 20-25 foot mic cabled don't really fit into the little slots without having to be smooshed down.

Also the zippers are terrible quality. Brand new bag and already they want to jam up. I can see those things getting derailed in short order. They should have used the big jumbo zippers like what's used on Gator bags.

Much lower quality than I would have expected for the price.

There are three sizes, and I gigged this last weekend with someone who had two of them (large and medium). I was considering the large until I saw how large it really is. Even the medium is much bigger than I expected. So I am wondering if maybe you ended up with the small one...?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I thought there were only 2 sizes. I bought the smallest one I saw. The zippers are not great, but the size works for me. Aside from very long exttension cords. I can fit all the cables I typically carry. And I found on a recent gig that the organizers helped.

I love mine. My wife bought the largest size for me as a birthday present 2 or 3 years ago. When I saw it, I thought, "Gee... Thanks. A duffel bag." Even after she showed me what it's all about I didn't know if I'd actually use it.

But once I got everything organized and stowed away in it, I'm hooked. I tote cables, pedals, power strips, a plastic tackle box I bought for my IEMs and batteries, etc. I've almost worn the canvas off the bottom of it by sliding it in and out of my truck, but haven't had any problems with the zippers.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I use a sweetwater branded gig bag. It doesn't have dividers but it has pockets on all 4 sides. I have a lot of stuff in mine other than cables. Including stomp boxes, mics & pedals. My only complaint is that I have it so loaded its pretty heavy. It weighs more than my SP6! It also includes the cables for my PA, Lights & rig.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Ok, it turns out I got the mid=size one.

That's the one I saw at the gig that was plenty big--almost bigger than I need. It looks just like the smallest one but is off by a few inches (which is why I wondered if maybe OB Dave ended up with the smallest one instead of the medium).

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

A pair of milk crates still does me. And they double as the mixer stand too ;)

wait thats not the milkman coming, thats the keyboard player! :like:

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I've had good success with the large canvas mechanic tool bags from military surplus stores.

They are big, cheap (less than $20), have really solid zippers and last forever. I use one for audio cables and one for all my electrical cables/extension cords/powerstrips. Mine are at least 8 years old and are still in great shape.

I am intrigued. Most of the listings on the ebay page that you linked to, however, do not show photos of the inside of the bag. I don't think that any of them are arranged as nicely as the cable file bags that are marketed as such.

Looks like a trip to Home Depot is in order.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

A pair of milk crates still does me. And they double as the mixer stand too ;)
Is that the kind that has the text "Property of Xxx Dairy. If you see this elsewhere, it is stolen"?

haha, yeah....no, in truth I found these at the tip, checked with tip staff who said they were fine to take. Just doing my bit (small) for recycling hahaha!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

The medium size looks good for me. Ive been using a computer bag with wheels and a pullout handle for the past few years. Turns out I hardly ever use the pullout handle and wheels, and it doesnt have dividers. I like the idea of dividers providing better organization. Id like for my cable bag to double as a low stand for laptop, Vent, and/or T&F depending on the gig. I want this stuff to be occasionally reachable and dont want to shelp a stand. It looks the closed top should be stable (although far from flat) with the dividers supporting it.

Hey Al,

Speaking personally, I wouldn't use the bag as a stand. It's made of soft material not unlike a sturdy gym bag so the top surface is always a little uneven even when full and zippered shut. It also doesn't sit very high off the ground.

But if neither of those things are an issue for you then yeah it might work?

Yes - exactly.

There is no separation inside, and only the two snap pockets outside. But they are cheap, sturdy and great for cables.

Smaller sized ones are great toolbags, too.

*** In looking closer at the Ebay link, it appears there are indeed some inside pockets in those bags. My cheapo surplus store ones only have the outside pockets. ***