Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

I contacted Wojtek Olszak and he sent me a link to his soundpack. The piano he created plays really well and to my liking. The velocity settings he used in different zones of the board made it much easier to play expressively on the synth action. I highly recomend getting his sound pack.. he did a great Mark V in there too.
Thanks for the lead, Jay!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Played the MODX8 today and compared its action to the others.

Sweet keybed, light and silent, ideal for piano as well as synth patches.

Also compared it to the Kronos (88) and preferred the former to the latter (being less light at play).

The other actions are somewhat flimsy, but the boards are light.

The MODX8 feels very sturdy.

... Why on Earth they removed the excellent faders of the MOXF is beyond me.

This drives me nuts. Manufacturers come up with something that works well, you'd think it would be easier to just re-use that something rather than reinvent something else. I see it at work with the front-end software designers, the mentality seems to be that everything new is always better....irritating.

Even if they can't physically reuse the part, they could recognize a good ergonomic element and fold it into the newer product.

Makes you wonder if they bother to get any feedback whatsoever from the users of the product, then bother to take action (or not) based on that feedback...

I had a chance to play the MODX yesterday.

I basically went through most of the acoustic and electric pianos and organs.

Yamaha STILL doesn't get organs, do they? Roland and Korg and of course Nord are miles ahead of Yamaha in this regard.

When the acoustic piano page is called up, I saw mostly CFX variations. So the main CFX ( says CFX and FM?) sounds pretty good but it was nothing earth shattering. In many ways it sounds like previous samples that Yamaha already has out.

There is less plunkiness in the MODX CFX mid range than I recall hearing from the MOFX or MX88. But it didn't make me absolutely have to have it. It also made me re evaluate the

"Glasgow" sample from the MX88 that I like quite a bit, since I was able to A/B the MODX and MX88 side by side.

The Rhodes are also quite good overall . Some of them had me wishing for a fatter sound with less bark at high velocity . The "Quick to bark" factor has been an issue with Yamaha Rhodes which has caused me not to want or have to upgrade from my Roland RD300GX as a go - to Rhodes.

I though the Wurli was very authentic. It is a step up from Motif/ MX88 etc.etc.

The action was OK. I have had issues with plastic key beakage and noise from Yamaha action in the past.

Overall though I am a Yamaha fan. I recently acquired a like new Yamaha P-85 and am surprised by how much I like it.

I am just not hearing a tremendous difference in this over previous models. Perhaps it amplifies well. And I have only heard this once, and briefly.

It did not make me leave the store thinking I had to have it.

It did make me go home and appreciate my Roland RD300GX and Yamaha P-85 and the money in the bank I am not having to let go of.

I also drive older cars too. So there you have it.

Yamaha STILL doesn't get organs, do they? Roland and Korg and of course Nord are miles ahead of Yamaha in this regard.

...because Roland, Korg, and Nord have separate clonewheel engines in some models, while Yamaha's organs are still straight sample playback. To flip it around, Yamaha has a real FM engine in the MODX, whereas most other boards play samples of FM sounds and aren't as good. (I think Kronos is the only board with a clonewheel engine and an FM engine, though Nord Stage models do have some FM capabilities). If you compare the MODX to other sample-focussed boards that do NOT have separate clonewheel engines (Korg Kross/Krome, Roland Juno DS), Yamaha's organs are probably competitive. But bottom line, yeah, Yamaha is not likely to be your first choice if organ is a priority.

IThe Rhodes are also quite good overall . Some of them had me wishing for a fatter sound with less bark at high velocity . The "Quick to bark" factor has been an issue with Yamaha Rhodes which has caused me not to want or have to upgrade from my Roland RD300GX as a go - to Rhodes.

The wimpy bark is some of what has turned me off to a lot of Roland EPs. Different strokes...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm picking my MODX7 up after work - traffic and schedule permitting. Sorry to twang my one note as I seem rather lonely in this passionate pursuit:

Why has acquired a case for MODX7:

- yammaha MODX7 gig bag

- other gig bag (e.g. Gator, other - which?)

- rigid case - TSA approved latches

Thoughts, recommendations? I think I may get both a TSA worthy molded case and a gig bag both so all sides of the equation (short of plywood flight case) are very welcome

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

They've decided to focus on this kind of organ instead. I've been told it sells very well in Asia, that's why it's been in production until the present day. We don't hear about them in the US for whatever reason.

https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/electone/index.html

I think this is their top of the line Electone - it has VA and "Organ" engines in addition to AWM, and "horizontal touch" keyboard:

https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/electone/els-02c/specs.html#product-tabs

... Why on Earth they removed the excellent faders of the MOXF is beyond me.

This drives me nuts. Manufacturers come up with something that works well, you'd think it would be easier to just re-use that something rather than reinvent something else. I see it at work with the front-end software designers, the mentality seems to be that everything new is always better....irritating.

Even if they can't physically reuse the part, they could recognize a good ergonomic element and fold it into the newer product.

Makes you wonder if they bother to get any feedback whatsoever from the users of the product, then bother to take action (or not) based on that feedback...

It's like Apple removing the switch on the iPad. On the older iPads you could change and lock orientation with the hardware switch, one action, easy as pie.

With the newer models, you have to swipe up from the bottom to get to the control center, unlock orientation, get out of control center, reposition your iPad, swipe up for control center, and lock orientation.

That's five or six actions (depending on how you count), just to change orientation and lock it.

Why the boffins at Apple think this is the superior solution to a function I use countless times a day, I really don't know...

Why the boffins at Apple think this is the superior solution to a function I use countless times a day, I really don't know...

They enjoy removing features, jacks and ports.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I Yamaha STILL doesn't get organs, do they?

Picking up from the previous comment... I noticed that the Montage had an upgrade a while back that included organ improvement (still not a full clonewheel engine), and I assume that made it into the MODX as well... Here's what they said about it:

New Rotary Speaker Effect with New Organ Performances - If youre an organ player, youve got to check out MONTAGE OS v1.51:

MONTAGE OS 1.5 Organ Performances

The new rotary speaker effect features authentic rotor simulation with assignable speed up/slow down. The new effect has improved overdrive behavior for a warm, full vintage sound. The new Performances feature the new rotary speaker along with drawbar control via the MONTAGE faders.

Check out some of the Organ Performances featuring the new Rotary Speaker effect below:

The Basics (Blues with Walking Bass, Arched Top and Real Brushes Kit)

888862200_2

Foolish Organ

Rock Hard

So for those who say the Yamaha organs are still the Yamaha organs, I think it's worth being sure you're checking out the newest programs, because the old Motif series ones are probably still there too, and they probably do sound just the same as they always did.

I Yamaha STILL doesn't get organs, do they?

Picking up from the previous comment... I noticed that the Montage had an upgrade a while back that included organ improvement (still not a full clonewheel engine), and I assume that made it into the MODX as well... Here's what they said about it:

New Rotary Speaker Effect with New Organ Performances - If youre an organ player, youve got to check out MONTAGE OS v1.51:

MONTAGE OS 1.5 Organ Performances

The new rotary speaker effect features authentic rotor simulation with assignable speed up/slow down. The new effect has improved overdrive behavior for a warm, full vintage sound. The new Performances feature the new rotary speaker along with drawbar control via the MONTAGE faders.

Check out some of the Organ Performances featuring the new Rotary Speaker effect below:

The Basics (Blues with Walking Bass, Arched Top and Real Brushes Kit)

888862200_2

Foolish Organ

Rock Hard

So for those who say the Yamaha organs are still the Yamaha organs, I think it's worth being sure you're checking out the newest programs, because the old Motif series ones are probably still there too, and they probably do sound just the same as they always did.

The organs in the modx are the updated montage versions. The rotary is much better than before... I think its even better now than the rotary sim on the juno/jupiter/fa lines. I have a stage 3 for my organs so... not something I would use a bunch but they are usable enough in a pinch. I think the new yammy organs will sound great through a vent or similar.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

While I have always liked Yamaha, it was never my "go to" brand because I didn't find the UI very friendly. After spending a week with my MODX7, I am now staring to fly around the os structure and edits. I am reprogramming patches for my next show and I am very happy with the outcome! I may officially be a convert!

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

I get you. Up until (and including) the MOXF I found the Yamaha GUI and knobfest somewhat unwelcoming. Then the Montage came and I liked that one (apart from its price). I find the MODX even better looking and love the fact they did away with those right side buttons.

In fact, the MODX8 is almost the exact same size of the MOXF8, but so much nicer to look at and use. Plus that amazing space for a laptop. Never thought Id consider such a thing important until now. If you put your keyboard on a stand, there normally is no space left for your DAW. Now there is. A streak of Yamaha genius, whod have thought.

Just unpacked my MODX7 and turned it on. Wow, a lot of sonic power. Wandered around a bit with no particular intent to go anywhere. its an upgrade from XF/MOXF imo. Pianos, EPS, strings, etc - they all sound better to me. played with a lot of motion control preset performances, this thing will do a lot - a lot that i wont ever do but the occasional special lil add - this will be nice.

I like it - im going to need to load my current board library to get up and running for current gigs, and i can switch out old patches with new ones as Im able to. First thing Ill do is switch out pianos I was using for these on the Bowie set. The CFX piano is nicer than any on MOXF/XF. Will try the Bosendorf pianos - how much flash does that library take up?

What other 3rd party libraries have Montage or new MODX users found great? anyone try the B3 libraries out there?

I got the managers friend deal too ... im stoked.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Just unpacked my MODX7 and turned it on. Wow, a lot of sonic power. Wandered around a bit with no particular intent to go anywhere. its an upgrade from XF/MOXF imo. Pianos, EPS, strings, etc - they all sound better to me. played with a lot of motion control preset performances, this thing will do a lot - a lot that i wont ever do but the occasional special lil add - this will be nice.

I like it - im going to need to load my current board library to get up and running for current gigs, and i can switch out old patches with new ones as Im able to. First thing Ill do is switch out pianos I was using for these on the Bowie set. The CFX piano is nicer than any on MOXF/XF. Will try the Bosendorf pianos - how much flash does that library take up?

What other 3rd party libraries have Montage or new MODX users found great? anyone try the B3 libraries out there?

Bose pno takes about 480 mb of the 1 gb limit. IIRC

If you load the Chick Corea EP's too, it's just about all gone. I tried the Corea ones, but tbh the factory ones are just as good if not better IMO.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Bose pno takes about 480 mb of the 1 gb limit. IIRC

If you load the Chick Corea EP's too, it's just about all gone. I tried the Corea ones, but tbh the factory ones are just as good if not better IMO.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll keep the CC MkV. It's a very nice tone, but not one I'd need a lot live. I'm leaving it in there for now, but if I need that space, it'll have to go.

In an age where memory and hard drive space is cheap and endless, keyboard makers are still frugal with the memory cards used in their machines.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

In an age where memory and hard drive space is cheap and endless, keyboard makers are still frugal with the memory cards used in their machines.

Ive often had the same thought - whats up wit dat? There must be something Im not getting.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

And then theres that free CS-80 (480mb) and Montage Expanded (180mb).

Keepers or goners?

Not all or nothing. Keep the bits you like, ditch the rest.

Ive had the same thought - whats up wit dat? There must be something Im not getting.

There are different kinds of "memory", it's not all cheap and endless. Look at the $ difference per GB between buying RAM vs. flash thumb drive. The kind of flash memory needed to be seen as RAM (so that its data is instantly available and can be processed "in place" rather than moved into RAM first) that can also function as storage (i.e. its contents survive reboots) is very expensive. It's part of what makes Nords pricey, and it's why the 512 Mb flash expansion for previous Yamahas was $150, and the 1 GB was close to twice that. I'm assuming that's still what Yamaha is using in the Montage/MODX. You can read about the differences between NOR and NAND flash at https://www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/product-flyer/nor_nand_flash_guide.pdf

According to Yamaha - their flash memory design is fundamentally different and faster than standard SSD or other storage media because it multi-bit (i think 16 bit but dont quote me) paralle read access instantly - hence allowing the board to read detailed sample data faster without constantly loading it into a temporary RAM location first. Its not apples and orange at all.

Now, is all that a focus on direct live read of the memory vs just loading it to a faster cheap RAM location necessary to function - well, thats a question i cant answer.

I do think the inability to add more Flash at user cost is miss. Add the gratuitous reduction in MODX - just to keep flagship separation - well, understandable but a bummer for me as i bought MODX. 1GB is not a lot. Not sure I can afford half of it for a piano library, i dont play much isolated solo piano - im In a band mix and there are just other priorities.

Now, is all that a focus on direct live read of the memory vs just loading it to a faster cheap RAM location necessary to function - well, thats a question i cant answer.

One variable is boot time, as systems that store their data in cheap flash (or SSD, or hard drive) need extra time to copy their data into RAM at boot (see Korg). In fact, Yamaha took this approach in the older Moifs... ES and XS at least could auto-load additional sample data from USB into optional RAM.

I'll say this - MODX boots very fast and switches programs very fast - jmo, ymmv

That's good to hear.

When I was bringing my Korg M3 to band rehearsals, I had to make sure I turned it on first, because it took a while to boot up, then several minutes to load all those M3 Xpanded sounds from the attached USB thumb drive.

The old Yamaha expansion flash modules (boards) are 16-bit data parallel. The address bus is also parallel.

The Montage and MODX tone generators communicate directly with NAND flash using the Open NAND Flash Interface (ONFI). ONFI is the same interface used internally within SSD drives. The tone generator maintains a cache of currently used samples in a fast, dedicated SDRAM. The cache is needed because NAND flash random access read time is relatively slow, too slow to sustain 128 voice stereo polyphony.

ONFI moves data and address bits across a bi-directional bus. Normally, the bus is 8-bits wide, but there is provision for 16-bit transfer. Looking at the Montage service manual, it looks like Yamaha are using 8-bit mode although they double up the flash devices in order to implement 16-bit transfer.

WRT user expansion, I don't think Yamaha could find a reasonable way to let users expand ONFI memory in the field. Getting rid of the parallel expansion bus, connectors, boards and chassis access greatly simplifies industrial design, cuts cost, and eliminates another QA headache.

Gory details:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-hardware-platform/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/swp70-tone-generator/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/serial-mem-tone-gen/

U.S. Patent 8,957,295 is the patent issued for the SWP70 memory interface. U.S. Patent 9,040,800 describes a tone generator with 256 channels -- very likely the SWP70.

Hey, hey, I gigged with MODX6 on Sunday and I'm quite happy with it. Very easy to schlep around.

All the best -- pj

Ive done a gig and three full days of rehearsals with the MODX7 alone and as part of a bigger rig and its not going back. :) As an all-in-one solution all sounds Are good enough, and as an add on in my bigger rig it can hold its own. I prefer the brass tones to my Kronos brass and the modern synth sounds are on level with my Virus Ti - not in programmability, but for most modern dance stuff The MODX7 will do just fine. Having such easy access to the internal compressors is great, and the envelope follower -> midi sync seems to work fine, but its very picky with levels you feed it.

Second test drive at GC tonight. The MODX8 was set up with a stereo set of near fields (Yamahas I believe).

One of the first things I did was disconnect one of the audio outs to one of the speakers so that I could audition it in mono, as I've decided a long time ago to play my live gigs in mono. WoW!!! The liveliness of the patches was sucked right out. In stereo, all the patches (I'm most interested in acoustic and electric pianos) have this wonderful depth about them. In mono, the sounds are one dimensional and no better sounding to me than the MOXF 8 I recently sold.

This is interesting and crucial given many of us will play it live. I'm not genned up on mono/stereo but had a similar experience with my Juno DS at the w/end.

Usually play stereo using our own PA but on this occasion FOH was mono so just a single lead from the left jack into the DI...was really shocked by how flat and weak it sounded.

Forgive the naivety but is there way 'round this, short of going through all patches and fixing the FX (if indeed it's the stereo panning that gives them all the depth etc)

I went to a GC to audition it last week, but they were already sold out of them including the floor model. It's great to hear good reviews of the MODX7 as a light, all in one, for the occasional sit in gig, rehearsal or jam session at the local bar.

I really like what I hear on YouTube videos, but I'm not sure I'm gassing enough for it to sell my FA-07 which is also fine for this purpose.

Any other comments on the MODX7 action? I think despite the cheap plastic build of the FA-07, the keybed feels pretty decent.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

The old Yamaha expansion flash modules (boards) are 16-bit data parallel. The address bus is also parallel.

The Montage and MODX tone generators communicate directly with NAND flash using the Open NAND Flash Interface (ONFI). ONFI is the same interface used internally within SSD drives. The tone generator maintains a cache of currently used samples in a fast, dedicated SDRAM. The cache is needed because NAND flash random access read time is relatively slow, too slow to sustain 128 voice stereo polyphony. {etc.}

Thanks for the info, very interesting. So they have moved away from NOR flash to a hybrid NAND flash + RAM approach, and have their own technology to do it. I guess that helps explain how a more capable and larger capacity MODX is replacing a higher-priced MOXF/Flash card combo.