Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One. The Polyphonic.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the sounds, but the website is really messed up now. Can't get to the specs for any product, and several synths do not appear any more - I doubt Moog suddenly discontinued them: Mother 32, Sub 37, Subsequent...

Just sent an email reporting the website problems.

What browser are you using? I'm not having any problems on Chrome. The website is also side-scrolling now instead of vertical scroll.

I like the sounds, but the website is really messed up now. Can't get to the specs for any product, and several synths do not appear any more - I doubt Moog suddenly discontinued them: Mother 32, Sub 37, Subsequent...

Just sent an email reporting the website problems.

What browser are you using? I'm not having any problems on Chrome. The website is also side-scrolling now instead of vertical scroll.

Chrome. I was unable to side-scroll with my old Mac mouse. Side arrows though do work.

I still cannot find the links to the specs or manual for any synth though.

Great sounds on soundcloud!!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

His demo I think has been the most illustrative thus far. The next 3 weeks are going to draaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggg......

Can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

After hearing the Soundcloud demos, I'm fairly impressed. It feels like $6k-$8k worth of real Moog, partly depending on how the specs unfold. It could wind up being a serious nerve-center synth, especially with the CV Out. It also sounds very, very 70s/80s initially, but its also clear that some programming time can dispel the heavier aspects of that. That leaves just 2 questions: 1) Is the price 10% of your yearly net or 110% and 2) will your wife strangle you for even considering it. :pop:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Been looking forward to this demo. Dan Fisher mentioned that he had been working on the Moog One manual for a year and a half and it is THE synth he would like to spend time with:

[video:youtube]ZQK ...

Watched it ...

It´s an awesome synth, I really like what it does and it has body and some individual character I hoped for,- something I sadly miss when digital synths emulate analog.

Would like to read the manual.

I wonder if there´s a internal "feedback" loop available on demand or if we´d have to realize it the old way by wireing an output to pre-filter ext. input,- and if that feedback-signal amount would be continuously variable, being controlled by a knob/CV/pedal and/or MIDI CC.

A.C.

Pretty sure from the 2nd Amos video that there is no internal feedback nor drive. He'd did say that the gain structure is constructed so you can drive the signal if so desired.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Quote: "For the time being, I guess it´s a "chipsynth" like Memorymoog, now using the re-issues of CEM 3340, 3360 and 3310"

Why do you say that? You don't think it's an all discrete synth? The Memory Moog was a "chip synth" as well?

Have in mind that was one of my early posts in regards of the MOOG One.

Yes, I guessed it is a "chipsynth" because the Memorymoog already was (CEM 3320, 3340, 3360 OSCs, VCFs & VCAs) and because the reissues of these chipsbecame available for the market this year.

So, for me it was obvious.

Up to now there´s no public info about which components are used for the analog signal path, but meanwhile,- and also because other´s in the forum came up w/ insinuation already,- I got the impression MOOG One is a different synth design than the Memorymoog was.

Now we´ve read about 14.000 + components and up to 16 voicecards, which leaves room for more speculation.

In fact, for it´s price I hope it´s not a "chipsynth" throughout.

A.C.

A little off-topic: The memorymoog had Curtis 3340 oscs, but the filters were real moog ladder filters, one per voice ... not curtis 3320 filter chips.

A nerdy distinction maybe ... but the Moog filters are part of why the MM sounded as sweet as it did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorymoog

https://www.rosensound.com/2017/11/22/the-memorymoog-setting-the-record-straight/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEM_and_SSM_chips_in_synthesizers

The One clearly sounds different than the MM in the demos so far, more modern Moog-y and not Curtis-like ... which makes sense since the One uses a Moog osc design, not the 3340 reissue.

Pretty sure from the 2nd Amos video that there is no internal feedback nor drive. He'd did say that the gain structure is constructed so you can drive the signal if so desired.

Thx,- one of the sub-outs into ext. input line-in then ...

A.C.

The One clearly sounds different than the MM in the demos so far, more modern Moog-y and not Curtis-like ... which makes sense since the One uses a Moog osc design, not the 3340 reissue.

I´m happy it sounds somewhat different from the old MM.

A.C.

Dan Fisher mentioned that he had been working on the Moog One manual for a year and a half and it is THE synth he would like to spend time with

read Dan Fisher's resume'. Just search his name. If he says this is the one, then this is the one. No pun/ pun intended. Take your pick. ;)

As for me , I have 2 kids in college so it's not in my future. :(

:nopity:

OK, I've read the specs.

The oscillators are triangle core. To synth nerds, this has a few implications.

1. Curtis and SSM oscillator chips, as well as a lot of early discrete ciruits, were sawtooth core. That means the original wave generated is a sawtooth, and the other shapes are derived. The triangle core oscillators sound fundamentally different, so no worries about it sounding like a Curtis synth.

2. They have done a clever thing with the Beats detune knob. It is a superior method for detuning a pair of oscillators for a chorused effect, that manages to keep the number of beats of detuning constant across the keyboard. Most old synths will beat fast and out of tune at the top of the keyboard range, and slow phasing almost in tune at the bottom.

3. The envelopes have a hold time on the attack to help give that Minimoog smack to the beginning of a note.

4. LFOs have some cool features like initial phase and number of cycles.

5. Saw and Triangle wave angles can be modulated, and then mixed with a Pulse/Square wave whose width can also be modulated. The Triangle wave will sound more pure than say the old Prophets because the core is already a triangle, instead of being derived from saw.

Specs wise, this easily surpasses my Chroma and Chroma Expander combo.

Moe

---

1. Curtis and SSM oscillator chips, as well as a lot of early discrete ciruits, were sawtooth core.

Nope. Curtis were triangle core, SSM were sawtooth.

2. They have done a clever thing with the Beats detune knob. It is a superior method for detuning a pair of oscillators for a chorused effect, that manages to keep the number of beats of detuning constant across the keyboard.

This is an excellent feature on a polysynth. I think they have been monitoring this forum.

Specs wise, this easily surpasses my Chroma and Chroma Expander combo.

I wonder if the MoogOne's keyboard/voice assignment modes are as versatile as the Chroma's.

All in all, looks and sounds like a cool synth. I've yet to hear a polysynth that sounds as good as the best monosynths, maybe the One will change that.

-joachim

1. Curtis and SSM oscillator chips, as well as a lot of early discrete ciruits, were sawtooth core. That means the original wave generated is a sawtooth, and the other shapes are derived. The triangle core oscillators sound fundamentally different, so no worries about it sounding like a Curtis synth.

Actually the CEM3340 is triangle core. Confirmed in a appnote publication from CES. Triangle core VCOs are inherently easier to maintain tempco variations.

The SSM2030 VCO is indeed sawtooth core, in fact it is the same architecture as the SEM/OBX VCO.

Many people knock 3340s because they don't stay in tune. They can actually be very stable. I just did a restore on a Memorymoog, and when I replaced the timing caps on the 3340s with mica caps (recommended by CES), the VCOs were rock solid on cold power up.

read Dan Fisher's resume'. Just search his name. If he says this is the one, then this is the one. No pun/ pun intended. Take your pick. ;)

Dan Fisher is one of the most knowledgeable synthesists in circulation. I've felt that way about him since reading some of his synthesis tips for VAST in Keyboard magazine, back in the dark ages when my hair was black and I had all of it. That's why I was looking forward to his perspective. He's also an all round good guy, and somebody with whom you would love to have a beer. Thats kinda how I feel about you, actually. :cheers:

As for me , I have 2 kids in college so it's not in my future. :(

Dave, I feel your pain very precisely, but let's be positive. Death and taxes might be certain, but our kids will surely graduate. This too will end (I keep telling myself). :D

Another video with Dan Fisher. It's a short feature summary, but also, you can begin to hear (imo) more of his synthesists voice coming through in this video. Terrific sounds. One standout for me is the ring mod (or is it fm?) at 4.33 :love:

[video:youtube]1S_WPVvunBI

There's an AMA with Amos Gaines thread on Reddit in which he reportedly states that MPE support is planned as a future OS update to One. There's a link to that thread in the CDM article.

https://cdm.link/2018/10/moog-one-polysynth-details/

Article also covers the mystery Ethernet port and other fun stuff.

A stripped down module (I prefer to strip out the built-in FX and leave in the tri-timbral stuff) would be great with the MPE support - just plug in Linnstrument or whatever and off you go...

Even though it is not shipping with MPE support, since it is tritimbral, you could have the same timbre for all 3 synths, presumably on different MIDI channels, and at least have 3 voice pseudo-MPE. I plan on trying that.