Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2951643 - 10/05/18 07:22 PM Chick's Tune
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale/Ventura, Ca.
I've been spending some time lately studying Chick's solo on "Chick's Tune". It's based on "You Stepped out of a dream" on an old Blue Mitchell record. He was all of 23 when this was recorded. Great solo on one of my favorite Standards.

Original recording complete:

I love his whole early Blue Note period - Matrix, Tones for Joan's Bones, etc.

KC Island
#2951654 - 10/05/18 08:32 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Dave Ferris]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Definitely some of my favorite Chick is this period – and I had never heard this tune before, so thanks! Really nice. What's interesting is that you clearly know it's Chick, he was already that developed in his playing (especially his comping), yet there are straight-up-the-middle bebop lines in there too, straight out of Bud, stuff you don't really hear much in his playing later on. And this must be very early Al Foster – Aloysius, ha, I didn't know that was his full name.

In my wonder-bread years I wore out the records you mention – Now He Sings, Now He Sobs and Tones FJB (actually most of "Tones" was on a double-album called Inner Space, that's the one I had). Chick being the leader, those records had a much more sympathetic rhythm section than this Blue Mitchell date, but it's still great fun to hear young Chick killing it in the more be-bopian groove!

#2951660 - 10/05/18 09:32 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Reezekeys]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
I had never heard this tune before, so thanks!

neither had I. Enjoyed listening to it
Trent Reznor

#2951686 - 10/06/18 05:34 AM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: davedoerfler]
Bobadecay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Incredible.

My question to myself is:: Had I not known that this was Chick before listening, would I have been able to figure out that it was? I think not. ESPECIALLY because my ear just can't reconcile Chick Corea's playing through the filter of the Rudy Van Gelder piano.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2951691 - 10/06/18 06:44 AM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Bobadecay]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hindsight is always 20-20 but I think I would have said this was Chick in a blindfold test. For me the telltale signs begin right at the top: those rhythmically displaced clustery figures in the 2nd and 3rd bar of his solo sound very Chick-like to me. There are also spots where his lines move away from the bebop tradition (triplets, crushed notes, arpeggios, blues-rooted) and into the even eighth notes with fourths & other subs underneath like his solo on Matrix – though those instances are fewer on this particular track. If I were to guess, I think he held the more modern stuff in because he respected the setting and musicians on the date. All in all, a fascinating look back!

#2951712 - 10/06/18 08:57 AM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Reezekeys]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Very interesting, thanks for the discovery. I think I actually had this album on cassette 40 years ago, but I had forgotten everything about it.

What it's remarkable to me, is Chick playing hard bop, with swing eights! I remember when first hearing "Now He Sings", I was struck by the fact that despite the bass was playing four to the bar, the piano played straight eights, or *almost* straight - the swing resulting from accents and articulation rather than the subdivisions of the beat.

On this solo there are several aspects of typical CC phrasing - the rhythmic displacements, the bell-like (or Monk-like) acciaccaturas, etc. But playing with such pronounced swing is so unusual for Chick, that to a distracted ear, it could sound like one of the many (excellent) hard bop pianists of that period.

It also seems to me that he's playing with more swing in these days. I've heard him in August with Patitucci and Weckl, and a couple of tunes had a definite swing/bop feel.

Btw my favorite early Corea album - other than "Now He Sings", of course - is "Relaxing at Camarillo" with Joe Henderson. Chick is doing some incredible comping on that one.

#2951742 - 10/06/18 12:05 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: marino]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: North America
Nice to hear, and I think this may be one CC recording that I hadn't heard! Thanks for posting it, Dave.

Years ago, I first noticed Chick's unique playing style under the name Armando Corea on the Duke Pearson Band recordings. He played a lot of bop at that time, but I could hear he had his own voice, so I looked for him on any recordings I could find.

I think the first time I saw the name "Chick" was on a Stan Getz album "Sweet Rain" with Chick, Grady Tate, and can't recall who else (going by memory here.) He was still not well known... so when Chick came out with "Now He Sings...", it felt like he'd finally arrived.

#2951748 - 10/06/18 01:49 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: SK]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sweet Rain is a great record. Ron Carter was the bassist and the person you couldn't remember. Somewhere out there is an earlier session with Steve Swallow and Roy Haynes instead of Ron and Grady Tate. It wasn't released. One or two tracks from that date may have been included in a compilation, but I heard it as a bootleg. They couldn't use it as Stanley was a little "under the weather"...

#2951776 - 10/06/18 05:26 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Reezekeys]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I bought this album years ago in an attempt to find the earliest appearance of Chick on a record. I’m not sure if this actually is but that’s how I found it.

I never played this tune until a few months ago when I started playing it with a septet. The bass player wrote an arrangement for trumpet, alto, tenor, and trombone that sounds great. We’ve played it a bunch of times and every time there are tweaks / improvements to the arrangement. So much fun! It’s a great composition. I particularly like the triads moving over pedal tones in measures 13 through 16 of the head. I love Chick’s writing and think this tune is a good preview of the awesome compositions that are to follow.

#2951817 - 10/07/18 09:38 AM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Al Quinn]
woodtus Offline

Originally Posted By: Al Quinn
I bought this album years ago in an attempt to find the earliest appearance of Chick on a record. I’m not sure if this actually is but that’s how I found it.

Stitt goes Latin is from 1963 (november) ... good Chick solo at 25.50, sounds more like Bud in those days ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7h0k4x-u5E

#2951822 - 10/07/18 12:20 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: woodtus]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I'd never heard that session. And I can see why. Very unspectacular. Too much verb on the recording too. They hardly let Chick play at all. He did sound great on the double -time @ 25:50 for sure although, one short chorus - lame on whoever was producing. Great players but stupid record.

I had a boot-leg type cassette years ago of Chick playing Cherokee at a jam session in NYC at someone's apartment. I remember it was early to middle '60s. It was your typical super low -fi jam session quality recording and the piano sounded very junky but Chick took at least a half-dozen choruses. The tempo was beyond blazing, I swear it was so fast- maybe 175-180 for the half note - he literally sounded like a Bud Powell machine. Yet it was still musical and inventive. I remember I almost quit after I heard that. Man I wish I could find that tape.

Edited by Dave Ferris (10/07/18 12:39 PM)

#2951836 - 10/07/18 02:45 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Dave Ferris]
woodtus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris

I had a boot-leg type cassette years ago of Chick playing Cherokee at a jam session in NYC at someone's apartment. I remember it was early to middle '60s. It was your typical super low -fi jam session quality recording and the piano sounded very junky but Chick took at least a half-dozen choruses. The tempo was beyond blazing, I swear it was so fast- maybe 175-180 for the half note - he literally sounded like a Bud Powell machine. Yet it was still musical and inventive. I remember I almost quit after I heard that. Man I wish I could find that tape.

I would like to hear that. Probably just as well you didn't hear this bit of Keith recorded when he was just 20 I think ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD2a3mo8z5M

#2951848 - 10/07/18 04:11 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: woodtus]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I should do a deep dive into KJ - that's just insane!! Thanks for posting it.

#2951851 - 10/07/18 04:27 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: woodtus]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wow, astounding ! I had just heard the Blakey recordings at the Lighthouse.

Well, that somewhat explains his unpredictable and volatile personality. How could one play like that at 20 and have a normal childhood upbringing ?

Meanwhile back to us mere mortals. wink

Edited by Dave Ferris (10/07/18 04:30 PM)

#2951852 - 10/07/18 04:31 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Bobadecay]
benj2017 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bobadecay
Incredible.

My question to myself is:: Had I not known that this was Chick before listening, would I have been able to figure out that it was? I think not. ESPECIALLY because my ear just can't reconcile Chick Corea's playing through the filter of the Rudy Van Gelder piano.

Agreed, first thing I thought when hearing it was thought it sounded more like Herbie (Speak No Evil, etc) than Chick. But, if you listen throughout you can definitely hear that intervallic, pentatonic stuff that is Chick's thing.

Great tune!!

#2951858 - 10/07/18 05:35 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: benj2017]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

For more early KJ in 1966 check out Art Blakey’s Buttercorn Lady album. Amazing!

#2951865 - 10/07/18 06:22 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Al Quinn]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ha ha, looks like this Chick thread took a little detour! I had a Charles Lloyd record with Keith playing on it that I wore out when I was a teenager just starting to get into jazz. It was recorded live in the Soviet Union (1967 I believe) – this was the tune I listened to the most and even tried playing – the piano solo starts around 4:20 (and the instrument sounds pretty crappy now that I'm revisiting this track over 40 years later!). They burn out at half note= 170+ for a minute before stuff starts to get a little outside. Ahh the sounds of my youth! smile

#2951873 - 10/07/18 07:07 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Reezekeys]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah another one that's totally ridiculous !

Maybe there's a boot leg somewhere of Herbie playing the first movement of the Mozart Piano concerto with the Chicago Symphony at age 11. wink

This trio, along with McCoy and Bill, Bill was a little older, are the the most influential pianists of my generation, and probably for many more to come.

#2951874 - 10/07/18 07:14 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Al Quinn]
George88 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By: Al Quinn
For more early KJ in 1966 check out Art Blakey’s Buttercorn Lady album. Amazing!

1+!

#2951901 - 10/08/18 05:11 AM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Reezekeys]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
I had a Charles Lloyd record with Keith playing on it that I wore out when I was a teenager just starting to get into jazz. It was recorded live in the Soviet Union (1967 I believe)

Wow, I hadn’t heard that recording before. Incredible! And Jack DeJohnette at age 25 on fire!

#2951904 - 10/08/18 05:36 AM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: woodtus]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: woodtus
Stitt goes Latin is from 1963 (november) ... good Chick solo at 25.50, sounds more like Bud in those days ...

Thanks! It’s cool hearing Chick’s influences so clearly at this young age. The McCoy influence that I hear in later Chick (e.g., Now He Sings) isn’t evident to me on this recording from ‘63.

#2951907 - 10/08/18 06:08 AM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Al Quinn]
cedar Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: New York
It's interesting to find out what albums people know and don't know. I first learned of this album about 30 years ago, and it's always been one of my favorites. Surprised that any of you avid jazz listeners hadn't heard it before. But then again, I'm sure there are albums I don't have, which others consider essential.

#2952403 - 10/10/18 01:27 PM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: cedar]
Bobadecay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Just listened to the rest of this album. Awesome Classic Blue Note hard bop.

Another observation about Chick's playing here: He has always cited Monk as one of his great influences, and it seems to me that a lot of his playing on this record is very Monkish. Not that he doesn't play Monkishly now, but this is more elemental and unrefined and less transformed Monk.

Really enjoying this one.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2952492 - 10/11/18 05:43 AM Re: Chick's Tune [Re: Bobadecay]
George88 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I had not listened to this record before and now I own it. I would not have guessed it was Chick. Thanks for putting this on my radar, Dave, I really like it!

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner