Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

Glad this guy used the synth.

Im familiar with the Sledge sound and its nothing special, just waveforms, mushy envelopes and mediocre filter, but if its all there is, you can make it happen.

But boy did it overwhelm the body and presence of the samples.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I chatted with the place with the "M", and the customer service rep there could not confirm that stock would be available, tomorrow (9/29). I asked her if their website would be updated to reflect the new date (if it's not available), and she said it should change, tomorrow (or shortly, thereafter), if it's not shipping.

I ordered mine from the "candy" company, mainly because they've been pretty good to me with the last few purchases and because they extend the warranty for 2 years and, supposedly, provide additional tech support (not that they would be able to answer the highly-technical questions I might have...LOL). My order is scheduled to ship on 10/5, but I'm not optimistic.

I guess, we shall see.

So I guess they're there a rule on this forum about mentioning specific retailers? You guys are so creative with it... Hahaha! (New to the forum)

Now, I'm torn between a Numa Compact 2x, VR 730, and a Vox Continental.

Numa for price, split and midi flexibility.

VR for logical, sensible practicality.

Vox for cool factor, sounds, and idiot proofness for live use.

All seem to have great sounds, but the Numa may leave me wanting. Guessing the Vox get the prize for sounds, other than the cx3 so I'm told.

Numa for price, split and midi flexibility.

...and for having 88 keys and aftertouch.

VR for logical, sensible practicality.

...for being fully editable (via computer, synth section also on iPad)

Also worth considering if you can go a little higher in price and travel weight is Kurzweil Artis 7. It handily beats all three on those Numa advantages of split and MIDI flexibility, and it also has the VR advantage of sound-editing (via iPad or computer). It is easily best of the four for patch storage/ selection, between its Favorite buttons and direct button access to 256 factory Programs, 256 user Programs, 256 factory setups, 256 user setups. I bought the Ocean Beach drawbar caps to make the sliders look/feel like drawbars for organ operation.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For those of you with pre-orders from dealers who update it, what's the latest expected to ship date?

I received a follow up email from my reps assistant saying that the expected delivery date is now currently some time in early October!

Talk about non-specific hedging!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I give up...

I waited as long as I could. I just cancelled my mid-March NC2X order with the Sweet one and ordered a MODX-7 instead - yeah I know it's not really equivalent (it's more of a light-weight top-board replacement for my Kronos 61) but I've already got an NC2 and a few clonewheels so I'll muddle through. I may revisit the NC2X if and when Studiologic releases editing software for it.

Kurzweil PC4-7, NE-6, Roland FA06, MODX-7, Numa Compact 2x

I visited today our local music store here in Finland. I was surpriced to see that they had the NC 2X in stock. Didnt try it out thought as I was determined to finally update my Nord Stage. Walked out with Stage 3 88.

Jyrki

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

Yes,

NS3 sure is no big news anymore. And kinda regret already that didnt give the Numa a test drive.

The Stage 2 must go once the 3 has been programmed. Dont know how long that will take thought because every time I sit down and start to program, I get lost in just jamming and noodling. Its so good fit for my purposes and sounds good.

But now back to Numa...

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

Sorry have not given anymore updates on my Numa C2X.....sadly its been stolen out of my car... :(

This is not surprising... they're incredibly rare! :rimshot:

Seriously though, sorry to hear that. Especially considering you didn't have it very long.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

What's with all the "the friendly place" "M" and all that? There's no problem on this forum with naming stores, they're Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, ProAudioStar, Thomann, whomever.

As for the unit itself that last vid finally gave us some kind of idea what the organ sounds like. Not too bad so far. Certainly not a Mojo or SK but still not terrible.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Mine just arrived and I'm sort of impressed.

Good points:

The keyboard is perfectly playable. It's not a piano, and not a synth, but a nice mix of the two. 88 keys is good.

Nice package - lightweight, feels solid

Controls easy to spot, and display legible

Internal speakers better than I expected!

Given the few dedicated controls, UI is easier to use than I thought it would be.

It's a very nice MIDI controller for soft-synths (though I haven't worked very hard on that).

And the bad:

The audio out through USB is terrible. It starts breaking up at about the 8 o'clock position on the volume. It actually starts feeding back at high volumes. Maybe it's the way I have it set up, (Aggregate audio device with a TASCAM audio interface) but I feel it's basically unusable. Comes in at 48kHz, 24-bit, so it should be fine. Playing back analogue to the -10dBu inputs on the TASCAM works well a bit faint on the +4dBV front inputs. Ignore this - it was a CKI problem (CKI = chair-keyboard interface = me)

The Stick 2 is weird. It seems to be programmed as a pitch bend X direction on a lot of the presets as well as other things in the Y direction, and seems to have no X auto-centering!! Stick 1 doesn't seem to work that much. Again, I haven't been through all the presets.

Oh, and the figure-of-8 AC adaptor cable came with a Euro-plug, rather than a UK version.

Basically, it's a nice piece of gear, with the reservations above. Pianos sound pretty OK through better speakers, organ (I'm not an expert) sounds are usable, and the synth and other presets are pleasant enough and editable. Sliders/drawbars are fun. Definitely good enough for me. The other issues (USB sound out, stick assignment, etc.) are all issues that can be solved with firmware upgrades - don't know if this is something Soundlogic is known for.

Great to hear that you have received yours!!

Two questions for you: Are you located in the USA, and did you order your unit thru a USA-based dealer?

To answer your last question, StudioLogic actually does seem to have a pretty good track record at Firmware updates and also at adding supplemental support software. Just take a look at the Sledge folders on their website to get a better idea.

Also glad that you liked the form factor and the TP/9 action also!

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Great to hear that you have received yours!!

Two questions for you: Are you located in the USA, and did you order your unit thru a USA-based dealer?

UK-based, and UK dealer.

To answer your last question, StudioLogic actually does seem to have a pretty good track record at Firmware updates and also at adding supplemental support software. Just take a look at the Sledge folders on their website to get a better idea.

Just contacted tech support through the Web form. We will see if I get a response. There are a couple of other little firmware bugs, but most people will probably never see them (I was swapping USB cables in and out, etc.).

Also glad that you liked the form factor and the TP/9 action also!

Obviously these things are subjective, but I felt I could get on with them very easily. I'd like to see editable AT response curves, but the function is perfectly usable as is.

Obviously these things are subjective, but I felt I could get on with them very easily. I'd like to see editable AT response curves, but the function is perfectly usable as is.

According to pg. 25 of the manual I downloaded, you can select a different velocity curve from 3 factory (soft/normal/hard) and a programmable fixed velocity setting. What is an AT curve, or what does AT stand for?

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

What is an AT curve, or what does AT stand for?

Stands for After Touch, which is a major feature on a board in this price range.

Mine just arrived and I'm sort of impressed.

Good points:

The keyboard is perfectly playable. It's not a piano, and not a synth, but a nice mix of the two. 88 keys is good.

Nice package - lightweight, feels solid

Controls easy to spot, and display legible

Internal speakers better than I expected!

Given the few dedicated controls, UI is easier to use than I thought it would be.

It's a very nice MIDI controller for soft-synths (though I haven't worked very hard on that).

And the bad:

The audio out through USB is terrible. It starts breaking up at about the 8 o'clock position on the volume. It actually starts feeding back at high volumes. Maybe it's the way I have it set up, (Aggregate audio device with a TASCAM audio interface) but I feel it's basically unusable. Comes in at 48kHz, 24-bit, so it should be fine. Playing back analogue to the -10dBu inputs on the TASCAM works well a bit faint on the +4dBV front inputs.

The Stick 2 is weird. It seems to be programmed as a pitch bend X direction on a lot of the presets as well as other things in the Y direction, and seems to have no X auto-centering!! Stick 1 doesn't seem to work that much. Again, I haven't been through all the presets.

Oh, and the figure-of-8 AC adaptor cable came with a Euro-plug, rather than a UK version.

Thanks for sharing that info Hugh. I see this board as occupying a very specific "sweet spot", which is: a controller for VIs running on an iPad or similar. The light weight, plentiful control capabilities and USB audio, as well as what seems to be a "competent" action, all play into this. So your issues with USB audio are significant. It will be interesting to hear what Studiologic come back with.

this thread

The pitch stick thing is weird. I see in page 12 of this thread that Stick 1 is sprung in both axes while Stick 2 is sprung in only one. Are you saying that your Stick 1 is not X-sprung? Has a rubber band fallen off in transit?

The power cable is sloppy on the part of the manufacturer, but not a deal-breaker.

Cheers, Mike.