Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2951394 - 10/04/18 01:21 PM Fender '57 Custom Champ ($999) vs Fender Pro Jr. IV ($499)
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

They look the same, but the is price not the same. The '57 Custom Champ has the ideal tone, imo. It has a marvelous presence, clarity, and warmth.

How close does the Pro Jr. IV sound?

GP Island
#2951395 - 10/04/18 01:24 PM Re: Fender '57 Custom Champ ($999) vs Fender Pro Jr. IV ($499) [Re: Jazz+]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2951415 - 10/04/18 04:53 PM Re: Fender '57 Custom Champ ($999) vs Fender Pro Jr. IV ($499) [Re: Jazz+]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
The '57 Custom Champ has no tone control, The Pro Jr IV does have a tone control, that is a plus. The 57 Custom Champ is hand wired and has a tube rectifier that is a big-big plus. The 57 Custom Champ has a 6V6, and is only 5 watts. The Pro Jr IV is on a printed circuit board 15 watts using El 84's.

If I had the interest in either one I would probably go for the '57 Custom Champ and add a graphic EQ stomp for some tone control if money was no object.

For what it is worth I once had a Pro Jr probably version 2. I sent it back after a few days trying it out. I am not a fan of EL 34 or EL 84 power tubes.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2951463 - 10/04/18 08:13 PM Re: Fender '57 Custom Champ ($999) vs Fender Pro Jr. IV ($499) [Re: desertbluesman]
CEB Offline
10k Club

The Champ is a sound. It can be cool but it is what it is. Not particularly versatile. They just have a single 8" speaker.

Is this only for home use or will you have a really good PA? I have gigged with a 5 watt 1-12 combo. We have pro sound all the time. Even with the 12" there was little versatility. It was a single sound but it was the sound I used all night. I used it for a dirty Brad Paisley type sound.

If that Champ sound is the sound you want go for it as long as it isn't your only gigging amp because there is no headroom.

In my current Country gig the other guitarist has what is one of my favorites Fender type 6v6 amps. The Morgan PR12. It is basically a Princeton circuit with a 12" speaker. More volume potential and you can still overdrive it and there is more available headroom. I like that Morgan amp a lot. .... But it is about twice the cost. Its a $2000 boutique type amp.

The Pro Jr. is an OK working amp. It has a 10" speaker. It uses cheaper capacitors. Same type construction that comes into the shop a lot. You will probably get a good 7 years out of the Pro Jr. Then you may have problems start and you may get one the leads a charmed life and just keep on running. But after about 7 years or so they start coming in for repair.

Personally I like the Tweed Blues Jr better than the Pro Jr... The one that comes with the 12" Jensen C-12N. The key is the speaker. But I've heard it in a side by side with the Morgan and there is no comparison. But the 'tweed' Blues Junior sounds pretty good as long as you don't hear them sided by side with something like the Morgan. (The Morgan is a $2000 amp the Fender is $600)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...lacquered-tweed

Edited by CEB (10/04/18 08:30 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose