Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

I'm interested in giving the MODX a try at my local store that has the MODX8.

I'm mostly trying to decide if it's worth selling a Roland FA-07 for a MODX7 as a direct replacement as a second tier board and something light to carry around for rehearsals and pickup gigs.

This is also my quandry, as I don't have either board. But I am looking to upgrade from my MX61.

I checked out the MODX at my local GC. It's...vast. I need to spend more time with it and the FA.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I have the MODX8 and MX88 side by side now, interesting. The MX88 really punches above its weight when it comes to the AP.

Could you please tell us some more about the perceived keybed quality of the MODX8 ?

I read over at Gearslutz that its right up there with the Montage 8 keys quality.

Also, do you think a 15 laptop (MacBook Pro) could easily rest on the right?

I'm interested in giving the MODX a try at my local store that has the MODX8.

I'm mostly trying to decide if it's worth selling a Roland FA-07 for a MODX7 as a direct replacement as a second tier board and something light to carry around for rehearsals and pickup gigs.

I see them as very different animals. FA has a sequencer, clonewheel and VA - and pads. MODX has the Super Knob and FM (Virtual Digital? No, surely True Digital!). They just simply inhabit the same "76-key midrange lightweight" sector alongside the Korg Krome range.

Cheers, Mike.

Could you please tell us some more about the perceived keybed quality of the MODX8 ?

I read over at Gearslutz that its right up there with the Montage 8 keys quality.

Where's my facepalm emoji? No, the MODX8 keybed is NOT anywhere near the same as the MONTAGE8 keybed. Why the hell anyone would even think that, given the vastly different price points, is beyond me.

Also, do you think a 15 laptop (MacBook Pro) could easily rest on the right?

You be the judge:

43271292670_3347662505_c.jpg

15 MacBook Pro on top of Yamaha MODX8 by Sven Golly, on Flickr

I'm not a legit organist by any standard and my experience with the real thing is limited, but yes, the new organs in the MODX feel much better than the Motif stuff.

The "9 Bars!" preset is a lot of fun, makes me question whether I should return the 8 and just get a 7, or better yet, a Montage 7.

Frankly, The MODX is great value, but after a day or so with it, I do understand better why the Montage is worth the extra money.

I spent some time with both the MODX6 and the MODX8, and I also thought that several of the ORGAN presets like 'Jazz to All Out 2" and "Gospel to Reggae" were nicely done and made good use of the Super Knob as well. But I am not yet decided on whether to go for the MODX7 or wait and see if the Montage 7 ever gets clearance pricing?

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I'm mostly trying to decide if it's worth selling a Roland FA-07 for a MODX7 as a direct replacement
Tough call, esp since you already own the FA-07 which makes it that much more cost-effective. But the obvious things you'd lose would be the drawbar organ engine, the sub out, the trigger pads, the more capable sequencer. Most of the Yamaha sounds should be better at least than their non-SuperNatural Roland equivalents (the other SuperNatural acoustic tones in the FA are piano, EPs, clav, basses, acoustic guitar, ensemble strings, which are areas where Roland could have an edge). In synth sounds, Roland should lead in virtual analog, Yamaha in FM. Seamless sound switching is more extensively implemented in the Yamaha than the Roland (for a change). Action will be subjective, but I expect that the Yamaha will at least be more even front-to-back, which should make it better for pianos. Ability to load custom samples ia a nice Yamaha perk, too.

Could you please tell us some more about the perceived keybed quality of the MODX8 ? I read over at Gearslutz that its right up there with the Montage 8 keys quality.
You can pretty much always find one person who will say anything. Especially at gearslutz. ;-) Seriously, again, actions are subjective, but I bet that will very much be a minority opinion.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm renting a Montage 8 to do some initial programming and conversions. I think I'm going to have to go with the MODX8 ultimately as the Montage doesn't fit on my main desk.

I was thrilled to find out, after some experimentation, I can get the release samples completely under control. In fact, this is the best I've been able to find with any hardware sampler.

Here's a Wurly 200a example. You should be able to hear the funky "bending" of the notes on release, which IMO, make all the difference in the world with Rhodes, Wurlies, etc. It's a bigger part of the sound than you would think and is a major reason digital hardware emulations of these electro-mechanical keyboards sound unrealistic, again IMO.

Purgatory Creek Soundware 200a - Montage

Busch.

Sounds great, Busch! Will be interesting to see how it "feels" to play from the MODX actions.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Im hoping Ill even prefer the MODX8 action to the Montage 8, at least from a synth players perspective.

the GHS is an excellent action. I find I prefer it over the Balanced Hammer action as in the motif/montage

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I just demo'd a MODX 8 at my local guitar center for about 30 minutes.

RE: the action - no, it's not like the Montage. And definitely not in the same zip code as the CP4.

That being said, I think it's perfectly acceptable. As one of those who came up having to gig house pianos, I'd say the MODX 8 action is going to work really well for 95% of gigging players out there.

I also have to say because I'm not a Motif / Montage UI guy - yeah the Yamaha UI on the MODX isn't immediately intuitive. YMMV on that one.

What shocked me was the weight of the 88 key version - or should I say the lack thereof. I mean, I gig the Kronos 73 and CP4 on a regular basis. I wasn't expecting the MODX 8 to be soooooo light.

They didn't have the 7 in stock...I wanted to play that too. But being able to put one of those in a case with backpack straps and stroll into call time? Man, that would be sweet.

I'm mostly trying to decide if it's worth selling a Roland FA-07 for a MODX7 as a direct replacement
Tough call, esp since you already own the FA-07 which makes it that much more cost-effective. But the obvious things you'd lose would be the drawbar organ engine, the sub out, the trigger pads, the sequencer. Most of the Yamaha sounds should be better at least than their non-SuperNatural Roland equivalents (the other SuperNatural acoustic tones in the FA are piano, EPs, clav, basses, acoustic guitar, ensemble strings, which are areas where Roland could have an edge). In synth sounds, Roland should lead in virtual analog, Yamaha in FM. Seamless sound switching is more extensively implemented in the Yamaha than the Roland (for a change). Action will be subjective, but I expect that the Yamaha will at least be more even front-to-back, which should make it better for pianos. Ability to load custom samples ia a nice Yamaha perk, too.

Could you please tell us some more about the perceived keybed quality of the MODX8 ? I read over at Gearslutz that its right up there with the Montage 8 keys quality.
You can pretty much always find one person who will say anything. Especially at gearslutz. ;-) Seriously, again, actions are subjective, but I bet that will very much be a minority opinion.

I've owned the FA07 and Montage.... The yamaha sounds cleaner, especially for FM type sounds. I'd say Yamaha has it over Roland for the EP's, organ sound well i never really used either too much as used KB3 on my kurzweil instead but say they are pretty close.

Where I preferred roland was for synth sounds, especially pads.... the Roland Jupiter type sounds are really fat sounding, when layered they are killer. I always struggled to get the same fatness out of those kind of sounds on the Yamaha. Its really depends on what sounds you use most.

[i'd say Yamaha has it over Roland for the EP's, organ sound well i never really used either too much as used KB3 on my kurzweil instead but say they are pretty close.

Despite the advantages of modeling, I have not been too impressed by the Roland SuperNatural EPs or tonewheel organ, myself. Though unlike the MODX, the FA gives you editable levels for all 9 drawbars and an assignable out for easy routing to something like a Ventilator, which should then give it the better organ. Though IIRC, the FA does not have C/V, so even then, there's a tradeoff.

Where I preferred roland was for synth sounds, especially pads.... the Roland Jupiter type sounds are really fat sounding, when layered they are killer. I always struggled to get the same fatness out of those kind of sounds on the Yamaha.

That's how I feel about the Korg Triton and M3 vs. the Motif XS. Just never got any real wall-shaking synth sounds from the Motif.

I used to laugh whenever someone posted that the Triton was "thin sounding." It can cut through just about anything.

:idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Despite the advantages of modeling, I have not been too impressed by the Roland SuperNatural EPs or tonewheel organ, myself. Though unlike the MODX, the FA gives you editable levels for all 9 drawbars and an assignable out for easy routing to something like a Ventilator, which should then give it the better organ. Though IIRC, the FA does not have C/V, so even then, there's a tradeoff.

The Roland engine does have a "true" percussion in it's model though, doesn't it? I must admit, I seem to hear a "chow" in the sound of Roland's organ, as if there's a bit of envelope-modulated filter sweep on it. Very un-Hammond to my ears.

I liked the Kurzweil KB3 model a lot more.

Cheers, Mike.

The Montage 8 is main gigging board and also my main studio boad. I switched my gigging board from my Krono2 88 a year and 1/2 ago because I find the Montage a nicer instrument. I move it around alot. ugh.

I got my MODX8 on Monday as a rehearsal and possible live board. I loaded in my samples and live sets from the Montage and everything is there - pretty cool. Of course there's some work-arounds with controllers.

I've done some track recording comparisons between the 2 and they sound almost the same kind of. The Montage is cleaner and richer sounding.

The action - The Montage 8 action is far more expressive and playable. It's not lighter in action but easier to play. The fulcrum of the keys for one goes further back in the Montage - makes a big difference. Being used to the Montage, at this point I find the MODX8 action fatiguing.

It's no Montage - Cool board tho, nice and light and capable. I will enjoying taking it to rehearsals/jams.

I am going to use it at my next gig, and I'll see how it goes if I can perform on it to my satisfaction.

Cheers.

Played one today at Guitar Center. They had the weighted one set up at a little station with two monitors.

It sounded much more "realistic" that my original Motif I had; I was expecting the clavs and EPs to sound about the same but they sounded much better to me on the modx. Granted, I would have liked to hear the Motif sounds through the same speakers, which were in stereo also (I'd have to test everything in mono for live use).

The organ did sound better and the leslie was better than my old Motif, but as my buddy said who was there: "it ain't going to replace the electro" (he has an electro 5). The faders for drawbars go UP to increase the level of that drawbar, which I expect would drive many of us crazy. The super-knob or whatever you called it increased distortion on one organ patch, and changed timbre on another...guess that's programmable (as the fader direction probably is). The distortion didn't sound as good as the Roland engine distortion to me.

The weighted keys felt about the same as the Moxf8 they had there, and not as good as the Montage they had there, which is to be expected.

It was VERY light for a weighted 88, almost shockingly so. The width was good, but it was pretty darn deep if that matters for anyone.

Personally, with my eyesight as it is and my dislike of touchscreens (especially when your hand gets a bit sweaty)...I would rather just have plain text and buttons/knobs, but I expect I'm in the minority.

Where I preferred roland was for synth sounds, especially pads.... the Roland Jupiter type sounds are really fat sounding, when layered they are killer. I always struggled to get the same fatness out of those kind of sounds on the Yamaha.

That's how I feel about the Korg Triton and M3 vs. the Motif XS. Just never got any real wall-shaking synth sounds from the Motif.

I used to laugh whenever someone posted that the Triton was "thin sounding." It can cut through just about anything.

:idk

In the guitar world, "thin"and "cutting through" usually goes hand in hand. Classic example is the Les Paul that gets buried in the mix because of the very same "warmth" that people love about it; whereas the "ice pick" Strat cuts through the mix.

That said, when I used my M3 at band rehearsal, I sometimes got complaints for the M3 bass frequencies or some other thing dominating too much, despite two loud rock and roll guitarists in the room, plus a hard-hitting drummer with Yamaha's "loudest in the world" model snare, and a trigger on his kick to trigger the 808-style kick sound on his Electribe.

I know we're never happy, but I wish I had the extra 2 outs, extra FM polyphony, and extra insert FX (extra SSS), in the lightweight MODX. I would have paid for those!

But not pay enough for a Montage? :)

Too big and heavy!! The size and weight helped push me over the edge.

And although they might be convenient, I don't need the extra buttons on the right. Their absence creates space for my Laptop/tablet. ;)

when I used my M3 at band rehearsal, I sometimes got complaints for the M3 bass frequencies or some other thing dominating too much

I've received similar comments about both my Triton and M3 from various band members in the past.

One guitarist told me my Triton sounded like a jet landing. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

when I used my M3 at band rehearsal, I sometimes got complaints for the M3 bass frequencies or some other thing dominating too much

I've received similar comments about both my Triton and M3 from various band members in the past.

One guitarist told me my Triton sounded like a jet landing. :laugh:

:cool:

Those Korg models sure have hot output levels. I don't have other synths that run as hot. Maybe the Moog Voyager I used to have. Most of my other synths are meek in comparison.

Just tried a MODX 8 at GC...plays much better than the MX-88 did with the GHS. I think it's the sound engine itself in that regard. Was not bad..I jumped back and forth between that an Montage 88 they had out...of course that was superior but the way the GHS is implemented in the MODX was not bad at all with that Montage sound engine...responded much better, still a tad shallow but it seemed much less so. The marriage of the keybeds to the various sound engines and how the engines responds is the key obviously!

Nice ax for the dough...just bought an SP6 and happy with it so far.. I'm also a little bored with Yamaha's....I've had so many... just time for me to change things up I guess! Still keeping my CP-50! The piano is better in the MODX of course than the CP50.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122