Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2951243 - 10/03/18 11:42 AM Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red.
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

GP Island
#2951260 - 10/03/18 01:25 PM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: p90jr]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Henry had a reasonable plan in theory. Guitar is a shrinking market so for the purpose of future growth it made sense to diversify into other revenue streams ..... But he did that by buying companies that were going broke and on the decline exasperating the situation driving Gibson into bankruptcy. The companies that could have been turned around they drove out of business because they didn't know the business. It was nuts.

Guitar operations as far as I know never lost money.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2951288 - 10/03/18 03:54 PM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: CEB]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yep, that's exactly what happened... he envisioned Gibson as a "lifestyle brand," like Apple. Sometimes you just have to know your limits...

Yamaha... now that's a diversified "lifestyle" brand, I guess, but they have been forever... I wonder if that's who he was eyeing as competition/inspiration?

#2951290 - 10/03/18 04:13 PM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Yamaha, near as I can tell, is and always has been (in its modern incarnation) a very diversified corporation, and built with Japanese business ethoi in mind.

VERY different from the way HJ tried to diversify Gibson.

One important difference between Japanese and American corporate culture is the slope of their salary structures. A Japanese CEO will make more money than his employees, but as little as 1/10th of an American competitor’s CEO. That translates into real differences in a company’s ability (and willingness to) changing market conditions.

I think Henry’s biggest mistake was not properly responding to what the marketplace reports and customers were telling him. His ego insisted that his chosen course was correct, facts be damned.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/03/18 04:16 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2951331 - 10/04/18 02:14 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Yamaha, near as I can tell, is and always has been (in its modern incarnation) a very diversified corporation, and built with Japanese business ethoi in mind.

One important difference between Japanese and American corporate culture is the slope of their salary structures. A Japanese CEO will make more money than his employees, but as little as 1/10th of an American competitor’s CEO. That translates into real differences in a company’s ability (and willingness to) changing market conditions.

I think Henry’s biggest mistake was not properly responding to what the marketplace reports and customers were telling him. His ego insisted that his chosen course was correct, facts be damned.

That is true but, Japanese companies are not exactly wave riders either, in fact they are notoriously inflexible and conservative.
Japan has more oldest companies of their kind than any other developed country.
Yamaha has done well because it had the right idea early on and has also kept up with trends, within its overall strategy.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2951332 - 10/04/18 02:41 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: skipclone 1]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Japanese companies are not exactly wave riders either, in fact they are notoriously inflexible and conservative.

Certainly. Except for certain fields, they’re not exactly famous for innovation.

But as adaptive institutions they have few equals. When the US government started getting serious about MOG standards for cars, America’s Big 3 raised holy hell, claiming the new standards were ridiculous and would be prohibitively expensive to implement.

Honda responded by introducing a car that met those standards before the regulations became law, quickly followed by other models...and similar cars from Toyota and other companies. That was, in a sense, the first major volley in Detroit’s war against import autos.

#2951333 - 10/04/18 03:00 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Braeburn PA
Lets just hope Gibson can survive.

Lok

#2951334 - 10/04/18 03:53 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: Lokair]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
HeadPop

Huh?????

Guitar players running a guitar manufaturing company?

What'll they think of next? People with TEACHING experience running SCHOOLS? freak

Or... DENTSTS running DENTAL CLINICS?? idk

Whatta concept ! wink
Whitefang

#2951348 - 10/04/18 07:06 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: skipclone 1]
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz

That is true but, Japanese companies are not exactly wave riders either, in fact they are notoriously inflexible and conservative.
Japan has more oldest companies of their kind than any other developed country.
Yamaha has done well because it had the right idea early on and has also kept up with trends, within its overall strategy.

...and they make a killer guitar. Have you guys played the high end revstars? Excellent guitars

#2951359 - 10/04/18 07:56 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: Mogut]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Revstars? Mucho want!

#2951360 - 10/04/18 08:08 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Wishing Zilkha and KKR all the luck in the world in keeping Gibson guitars in the market and helping the company out of bankruptcy. cool

#2951362 - 10/04/18 08:26 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Impeaching Juszkiewicz is the first step in Making Gibson Great Again. It can be done.

#2951364 - 10/04/18 08:35 AM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: Scott Fraser]
Sharkman Online   content
Gold Member

When Henry Juszkiewicz first took over Gibson, he had some great ideas and brought new energy to a languishing company. Unfortunately, he stuck around too long, made some big mistakes, was too vain and egotistical to admit that he was wrong, and the company suffered as a result. Hopefully Gibson will have better management now, and get back on the right track.

#2951783 - 10/06/18 06:42 PM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: Sharkman]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Bye Hank. Good luck.

#2951784 - 10/06/18 06:49 PM Re: Juszkiewicz ousted at Gibson, co. out of the red. [Re: CEB]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: CEB
exasperating the situation

exacerbating

(sorry...)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose