Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

That would certainly be news to the keyboard I've had sitting in my studio for the last two weeks.

Pop the lid! whats the keybed action?

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

OT, but wow, those are some big monitors in the background. What model of Adam?

Have to say, the MODX and Montage look cool. Just not for me.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The GHS feels the same to me,

Same as what? MOXF8?

Same as any other GHS I have owned/played.

OT, but wow, those are some big monitors in the background. What model of Adam?

Not ADAM. Its the HEDD Type 05: http://www.hedd.audio/en/studio-monitors/type05/

Same designer, though, Klaus Heinz. After he left ADAM he founded HEDD with his son Freddy. On top of the HEDDs I have a set of Equator D5s. Very different type of speaker. They complement each other, in a way.

The GHS feels the same to me,

Same as what? MOXF8?

Same as any other GHS I have owned/played.

My psychic abilities have been on the fritz, so I don't know which other GHS you have played. ;-) Personally, I thought my brief experience with the DGX660 GHS last week felt better than the MOX8 and MOXF8 I've played. I don't know the reason. But I'd be happier if the MODX8 felt like that DGX660 rather than the MOX8/MOXF8, even though they are all GHS. That's why I was asking specifically which GHS model(s) you thought the MODX8 felt like. Hopefully some store near me will have one I'll be able to try for myself before long.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thank you. My mistake. You can see the design influence.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Played the MODX6 and MOXF6 next to each other today at GC. Same action, no doubt about it. Those narrow black keys always have me thinking I'll be tripping over them, then they turn out to not be a problem.

Only had a few minutes with it, not enough to delve deeply. Liked the touch screen. It's a great feature on a $1300 keyboard.

Weight, or lack thereof, is important to me. The MODX6 packs a lot into 14 lbs.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Yeah. When I had my MOX then MOXF6 I thought maybe the thinner black keys might be an issue.

They werent. I never had an issue in all the years I gigged with them.

The MODX6 has slowly open the valve on the GAS

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Liked the touch screen. It's a great feature on a $1300 keyboard.

Is the touch screen a glass one like on tablets, or a mushy plastic one like the one on the Korg M3 workstations?

The 14lb weight of the MODX6 appeals to me too, as well as the 4-in, 10-out USB audio interface, USB MIDI, and IOS compatibility - will probably be the new main controller for my iPad. Oh and the FM-X appeals too.

Liked the touch screen. It's a great feature on a $1300 keyboard.

Is the touch screen a glass one like on tablets, or a mushy plastic one like the one on the Korg M3 workstations?

The 14lb weight of the MODX6 appeals to me too, as well as the 4-in, 10-out USB audio interface, USB MIDI, and IOS compatibility - will probably be the new main controller for my iPad. Oh and the FM-X appeals too.

It's plastic, but I wouldn't call it "mushy". I think know what you mean though, and it's that type of screen. It's pretty firm (of course it is new) but the screen is very responsive. I like it better than the Kronos, as it always responds to light touch.

I got to say, these things are pretty accessible. Ive seen them in every store that Ive been in the past couple weeks. michigan and toronto area

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

AFAIK, these screens are all glass.

Triton

https://www.ebay.com/i/253078909012?chn=ps

Kronos

I would be shocked if the Montage/MODX screen was plastic. Plastic would scratch up in a few weeks from constant interaction with fingernails (I always use my fingernails on the Kronos for more precision). I think people assume because some of these screens can give a bit from touch that means they're plastic. I think the difference is how they're attached.

Busch.

AFAIK, these screens are all glass.

Triton

https://www.ebay.com/i/253078909012?chn=ps

Kronos

I would be shocked if the Montage/MODX screen was plastic. Plastic would scratch up in a few weeks from constant interaction with fingernails (I always use my fingernails on the Kronos for more precision). I think people assume because some of these screens can give a bit from touch that means they're plastic. I think the difference is how they're attached.

Busch.

upon closer inspection, I think you are correct. It appears to have a membrane over it that distorts (physically not visually) when you press it. Like a plastic membrane over glass?... Or more accurately like a touch screen monitor.

Sorry if I misspoke, it was just delivered today so not much time with it, yet! (cough cough, feeling like I might be coming down with something tomorrow... :cool: )

And also... Thank you Yamaha for the ridge along the back!! I could have used this on bigger, heavier keyboards in the past!

I agree, it would be nice to have the connections printed on the top, though. I'll probably do this at some point.

So, I'm hearing on another forum that this might be a fairly big improvement in organ sound compared to past Yamaha offerings? I'm a bit surprised to hear that I guess. Any yeas or nays in that regard?

I'm going to shoot down to Sam Ash and try to check one out. It's a keyboard dead zone but this will be one of the few boards they are likely to have!

upon closer inspection, I think you are correct. It appears to have a membrane over it that distorts (physically not visually) when you press it. Like a plastic membrane over glass?... Or more accurately like a touch screen monitor.

Sorry if I misspoke, it was just delivered today so not much time with it, yet! (cough cough, feeling like I might be coming down with something tomorrow... :cool: )

Thanks for the report concerning the touchscreen.

The Korg M3 touchscreen does not seem to be easily scratched either, but it has some known, oft-discussed issues, like the responsiveness declining with use, until it eventually doesn't respond at all to touch and/or the M3 screen calibration function no longer works.

Since I never see any threads/posts complaining about the Montage touchscreen I guess the MODX one should be ok.

So, I'm hearing on another forum that this might be a fairly big improvement in organ sound compared to past Yamaha offerings? I'm a bit surprised to hear that I guess. Any yeas or nays in that regard?

I'm not a legit organist by any standard and my experience with the real thing is limited, but yes, the new organs in the MODX feel much better than the Motif stuff.

The "9 Bars!" preset is a lot of fun, makes me question whether I should return the 8 and just get a 7, or better yet, a Montage 7.

Frankly, The MODX is great value, but after a day or so with it, I do understand better why the Montage is worth the extra money.

Played the MODX6 and MOXF6 next to each other today at GC. Same action, no doubt about it.

Actually, Bad Mister posted on the yamaha forum, "The action of the MODX6 and MODX7 is a new, different keybed from that which was found on the MOXF6. " Now, whether there is any more substantial difference than the change from glossy to matte black keys, who knows...

I don't know, but "fairly big improvement in organ sound" may not be the highest bar. ;-) Though as I mentioned earlier, I don't totally dismiss rompler organs, the Yamaha S30/S80 had a great patch, and if the MODX has something like that, I'd be very happy! (The key was that model's tube effect, which was not in the Motifs.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Played the MODX6 and MOXF6 next to each other today at GC. Same action, no doubt about it.

Actually, Bad Mister posted on the yamaha forum, "The action of the MODX6 and MODX7 is a new, different keybed from that which was found on the MOXF6. " Now, whether there is any more substantial difference than the change from glossy to matte black keys, who knows...

I didn't have much time in GC, but I was definitely interested in testing the action. I went back and forth the MODX and the MOXF. If there's a difference, it wasn't apparent to me.

There is an interesting psychological difference, however. When playing this action on a $600 board, I tend to think, hmm, this is not bad. Playing the same action on a $1300 board I think, hmm, this could be a little better.

Still, I'm considering getting a MODX, and the action is good enough that it doesn't factor heavily into my decision. In other words, it's in the ballpark of what I'd expect for synth-type action in this price range and with these features, and I don't think it would hold be back significantly because I don't expect to be trying maximize my piano or organ technique when using the MODX.

My quick impression is that the organs on the MODX are a significant step up from previous Yamahas (putting the Reface aside). The improvement is enough to put them into the "useable for a non-organ-centric gig" range but, unlike, say, the Kronos, still not within shouting distance of clone quality.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I played the MODX8 today. I'm not impressed with the organs -- nowhere near any of the clones. The Leslie sim wasn't good.

I did like the action when playing piano. They also had an MOXF8 and I like the newer action better.

It's very lightweight, and seems to have higher plastic content. Not sure how well it will hold up to constant moving.

One thing really annoys me: there's a huge amount of empty space (on the 88 key version) between the keys and the screen (and buttons / wheels). It's going to make the screen very difficult to see if I have a keyboard above it. Everything is pushed up and further away from the keys.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

I decided to wing it and got me a MODX7. Ive been looking at the Montage but Im very happy with my Kronos and couldnt see the need for a full blown workstation, but the MODX7 ticked all the boxes - its got the envelope follower, vocoder, all the wave ROM and loads of options. And it sounds stellar. So far Im very happy with using it - Im NOT a Yamaha fanboy and although Ive dug the sound in the Motifs the UI has scared me away. This one is different, after just one day Ive been able to set up splits, assign controllers and sidechain the compressors - its actually rather easy to use even for me. I think theyll sell a BOATLOAD of these.

The Korg M3 touchscreen does not seem to be easily scratched either, but it has some known, oft-discussed issues, like the responsiveness declining with use, until it eventually doesn't respond at all to touch and/or the M3 screen calibration function no longer works.

Since I never see any threads/posts complaining about the Montage touchscreen I guess the MODX one should be ok.

I imagine touchscreen technology has grown leaps and bounds since M3 was launched in Jan 2007.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I imagine touchscreen technology has grown leaps and bounds since M3 was launched in Jan 2007.

I imagine it too, but it's better to get real-world reports. This thing may not be anywhere as costly as the new Moog but I still want to research it before dropping my money on it.

I imagine it too, but it's better to get real-world reports. This thing may not be anywhere as costly as the new Moog but I still want to research it before dropping my money on it.
no argument here ...
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I'm not a legit organist by any standard and my experience with the real thing is limited, but yes, the new organs in the MODX feel much better than the Motif stuff.

That's good to hear. I presume by "better feel" you mean how the sounds respond to changes in slider/virtual drawbar settings. Or perhaps they upgraded the Leslie sim?

I've got nothing against rompler organ - the organ patches in my Korg M3 are pretty good to my non-B3-expert ears. It'd be fun though to have somebody like ProfD present when I get around to trying the MODX organs.

Finally got around to downloading the Bosendorfer it's a big improvement on the CFX for my money and definitely worth grabbing while you can. Also downloaded Chick's Mk V and that too is absolutely excellent. A pity that there's not really room for anything else once you have that installed but still, at least I have the option of using MainStage to expand the sonic palette.

Yeah, the Bosie and CC MkV are nice upgrades. Have you tried the Bosie live? I have yet to take it out, and while it sounds great on my studio monitors, something about the frequency response has me suspicious it may not be a good fit for a band.

I have the MODX8 and MX88 side by side now, interesting. The MX88 really punches above its weight when it comes to the AP.

I'm interested in giving the MODX a try at my local store that has the MODX8.

I'm mostly trying to decide if it's worth selling a Roland FA-07 for a MODX7 as a direct replacement as a second tier board and something light to carry around for rehearsals and pickup gigs.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries