Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One. The Polyphonic.

This will be a new powerful version of an OBX-a but with Triple Oscillators.

Do you expect it will sound like a Oberheim just because it has a SVF in addition to the MOOG ladder ?

It would be really cool if it does, but I always thought there was a bit more patented magic in the Oberheim filter design.

Im in if a rack becomes available.

I´d buy the keyboard version WHEN ...:

a)

It is reliable,- at least as reliable as a LAMM is.

b)

warmup time isn´t too long and VCO´s tuning stability is good after warmup

c)

MIDI implementation is complete

When it provides "buttery" MOOG sound and "oberheimish" sound in addition, the investment for the 16-voice version makes sense since it´s tri-timbral.

I imagine a 7-voice dual-layer polysynth-part using SVF,- and monophonic lead- or bass-synth parts using MOOG ladder. :cool:

OTOH, I doubt it will sound like a Minimoog D and also not like a Taurus III or Minitaur.

For the time being, I guess it´s a "chipsynth" like Memorymoog, now using the re-issues of CEM 3340, 3360 and 3310.

Nothing discrete,- but for sure it will be a beast nonetheless.

I wonder how far Rudi L. might be involved for firmware/OS and all MIDI.

Anyway, it all depends on how it will sound TODAY.

A.C.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think they went with the TP8S instead of the TP9S thats on Voyager and MiniMoog?
The TP/9S has very short keys (close pivot point), which makes it hard to play at the back of the keys. The standard Pratt Reed keyboards of the '70s were much better in that sense, and so is the TP/8S.

I believe the only reason manufacturers use the TP/9S is that it is available in 37, 44, and 49 note versions in addition to 61, and it also uses less space depth-wise. Otherwise the TP/8S seems to be superior in every way.

-joachim

Can't wait to hear this beast!

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can admit I have seen and heard it. :cool::love: During Sweetwater's Gearfest Moog had a private preview of it by invitation only, in a fairly secluded room behind temporary walls. Five guys at a time would come in and listen on headphones to a guy playing a prototype of it.

Apparently I've spent enough on synths at Sweetwater over the years to get an invite, but with the agreement that I say nothing about it until it's officially released.

To say the absolute least, it sounds freakin' incredible! :2thu: I can't wait for next year's Gearfest and hopefully get to play one. :drool:

><>

Steve

Can't wait to hear this beast!

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can admit I have seen and heard it. :cool::love: During Sweetwater's Gearfest Moog had a private preview of it by invitation only, in a fairly secluded room behind temporary walls. Five guys at a time would come in and listen on headphones to a guy playing a prototype of it.

Apparently I've spent enough on synths at Sweetwater over the years to get an invite, but with the agreement that I say nothing about it until it's officially released.

To say the absolute least, it sounds freakin' incredible! :2thu: I can't wait for nest year's Gearfest and hopefully get to play one. :drool:

Can you speak to the sound a little bit? Does it sound Minimoog like in unison mode? And does it sound Oberheim like using the State Variable Filter? I think I am keeping one or the other of my Voyager and OB-6. Any other subjective impressions would be more than welcome!!!!!!

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Likely in a couple years on a 48month financing deal, AFTER I get the current acct paid off.

Hope it sounds as good as it looks.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

The TP/9S has very short keys (close pivot point), which makes it hard to play at the back of the keys. The standard Pratt Reed keyboards of the '70s were much better in that sense, and so is the TP/8S.

I believe the only reason manufacturers use the TP/9S is that it is available in 37, 44, and 49 note versions in addition to 61, and it also uses less space depth-wise. Otherwise the TP/8S seems to be superior in every way.

-joachim

Great info, thx !

I find the TP/9S on my Kurzweil PC3 very playable but I´d also appreciate any improvement.

I see J.B. Solaris uses the TP/8S, so it should be excellent.

A.C.

Does it sound Minimoog like in unison mode?

A bit irritating question because a Minimoog D doesn´t offer any unison mode at all.

So,- and at least to my ears, no synth in unison mode sounds like a Minimoog D.

The strength of the Minimoog D is, it still sounds fat enough with only ONE (1) OSC in use, which IMO is the result of a discrete OSC and VCF design.

So for me, that´s the test,- and I don´t believe it will sound like a Minimoog D when it´s a chipsynth using the CEM 33xx OSC and filter.

And on the Minimoog, there are the filter keyboard tracking rocker switches (OFF/ 33%/ 66% / full) and I cannot find any filter tracking pot or switches on the MOOG One.

Maybe I´m blind ...

Can it be it´s the area below the display labeled "keyboard control" (On/Range: Low/High)?

I´m unsure because that can also be related to the "Synth # 1, 2, 3" focus buttons to the left of that area.

A.C.

Does it sound Minimoog like in unison mode?

A bit irritating question because a Minimoog D doesn´t offer any unison mode at all.

So,- and at least to my ears, no synth in unison mode sounds like a Minimoog D.

A.C.

Allow me to rephrase. Can The One, when IT, meaning the One, is in Unison mode, which we know it has, sound vaguely like a Minimoog of some variety, which being as we all know, monophonic, does not have nor would it make sense to have, a unison mode?

Even more specifically, can a single 3 oscillator voice, using the ladder filter, become a convincing Moog mono-synth to the extent that it could functionally supplant a mini in one's arsenal?

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

The strength of the Minimoog D is, it still sounds fat enough with only ONE (1) OSC in use, which IMO is the result of a discrete OSC and VCF design.

So for me, that´s the test,- and I don´t believe it will sound like a Minimoog D when it´s a chipsynth using the CEM 33xx OSC and filter.

A.C.

That's twice you have claimed that the Moog One uses CEM chips. From what I have heard, that's incorrect.

Moe

---

Even more specifically, can a single 3 oscillator voice, using the ladder filter, become a convincing Moog mono-synth to the extent that it could functionally supplant a mini in one's arsenal?

If the answer is no, will you cancel your preorder? ;)

I think I see where Beethree is going with this. He's probably wondering if he should sell his Voyager to partially finance his Moog One.

No.....but I am very curious about whether I could sell my Voyager and not miss it that much, as opposed to selling other gear. I would not do that without having had it in my hands. I will only cancel the preorder if the demos turn me off. Barring that it is at least worth the potential of losing the shipping costs to try it with the possibility of returning it. If this can take the place of 2-3 other synths, along with selling some unused recording gear, it is financially viable for me, with little or no extra cash outlay. I'll need to be blown away. I feel like I will be, but it is not like I am diving in with no way out. It is more likely to get close to a Voyager than a Model D in tone, I am guessing.

I think I see where Beethree is going with this. He's probably wondering if he should sell his Voyager to partially finance his Moog One.

Exactly that. But I'd have to play it first. I do like my Voyager quite a bit, especially after having the slew rate mod done, and discovering the joys of putting an Xotic EP boost pedal in the pre-filter insert. It is like a whole new instrument for me lately. But that is a separate topic. I have some gear that I am definitely selling, and then trying to figure out what else out of the "maybe" column. I've enjoyed amassing keyboards little by little through the years, but the idea of both downsizing and upgrading at the same time without spending too much cash is appealing. For all I know, this instrument will be a lemon and it will all be moot, but I have high hopes.

No.....but I am very curious about whether I could sell my Voyager and not miss it that much, as opposed to selling other gear. I would not do that without having had it in my hands. I will only cancel the preorder if the demos turn me off. Barring that it is at least worth the potential of losing the shipping costs to try it with the possibility of returning it.

That's a reasonable question to ask.

I have not seen any indication of the Voyager oscillator design being used in The One. At least not like Grandmother where Moog Music clearly stated where each component was derived (VCA from Moog 902 module, filter from Moog 904 module, etc.). The VCOs in the Voyager, the Sub Phatty/37, and Grandmother are all different from one another, from what I've heard.

This may not even be a close comparison but if I had Mark's Memorymoog and his Voyager in my house, and I had to give one of them back, I'd probably give back the Voyager and be ok using Memorymoog do play leads, partly because, well the Memorymoog would let me play a wider variety of chords, and I'm not that picky about "authentic Model D tone". Ok, I admit the real reason is because of the cool custom LEDs that Mark installed ;).

Can you speak to the sound a little bit? Does it sound Minimoog like in unison mode? And does it sound Oberheim like using the State Variable Filter? I think I am keeping one or the other of my Voyager and OB-6. Any other subjective impressions would be more than welcome!!!!!!

1. Unfortunately the guy playing it...well, lets say he wasnt an accomplished keyboardist. ;) He was mostly noodling and tweaking the sound. But that was enough to hear that it sounded terrific! :)

2. As we all know, nothing really sounds exactly like a Minimoog except a Minimoog. Thats why Moog was wise enough to round up parts and re-release it a few years ago. For which Im grateful. Ive had mine for almost a year now. Ill give it up when they peel my cold, dead fingers off it! :laugh:

3. Again, I didnt hear any direct imitations, but Im sure it could sound like an SEM based Oberheim on steroids. Well need to hear some demos. :cool:

4. Honestly, Id say it would easily make either or both of them redundant, especially in 16 voice form. To say its a polyphonic Voyager would be an understatement, considering the voice architecture goes beyond that of the Voyager. And between the filters, modulation routings,and 3 oscillators, Im sure it could cover any sound the OB6 can do. :cool:

The big question might be; Are you doing gigs that pay well enough to justify bringing such a valuable synth? I doubt I would take mine out of the house if I owned one! :laugh:

><>

Steve

Thanks for the thoughtful and informative answer!!!!

I used "Minimoog" earlier as the umbrella semi-generic term, which would include the Voyager, as opposed to "Model D", which is of course the classic Minimoog, and the gold standard for raw tone. I would not expect it to nail that, nor would that necessarily translate into a great poly. Just looking for it to be in the same area code.

I will use it live some, although most of my gigs are of the piano/organ variety. I am concerned that I will be kicking myself in the ass down the road for not biting the bullet and getting the 16 voice. I think that is the one thing besides bad demos that could make me cancel my pre-order and wait a few months.

...,- and I don´t believe it will sound like a Minimoog D when it´s a chipsynth using the CEM 33xx OSC and filter.

A.C.

That's twice you have claimed that the Moog One uses CEM chips. From what I have heard, that's incorrect.

I didn´t claim it´s a chipsynth like Memorymoog was.

In a former post I said I guess it is,- and above I said "when it is a chipsynth".

Nonetheless, your info is welcome if true.

When I used my other analog polysynths in the past, the Memorymoog was not the one I wanted in addition.

So,- WHEN (I repeat myself ...) it´s NOT a chipsynth throughout, I won´t be sad and disappointed.

And now tell me what´s correct,- please.

:)

A.C.

I also asked myself if it makes sense selling my vintage Minimoog D w/ LMC and Oberheim Xpander,- both w/ accessories, cases and spare parts,- and my obsolete vintage Roland MPU-101 as well.

I`d trade in 7 voices for 16.

It all depends on functionality and sound,- and in my age I want less gear doing more work instead collecting gear needing more and more care.

Well, that´s the theory ...

At the end of the day, I wanna keep my oldies and want the new in addition.

Call it doom.

A.C.

... can a single 3 oscillator voice, using the ladder filter, become a convincing Moog mono-synth to the extent that it could functionally supplant a mini in one's arsenal?

Who can tell ? It´s so subjective.

When comparing a 3 OSC voice,- all OSCs on in the mixer,- of a Minimoog (D and/or Voyager) w/ p.ex. a Memorymoog 3-OSC voice (unison OFF),-. that´s a different story vs. comparing a Minimoog voice,- only 1 OSC active,- w/ a Memorymoog and only 1 OSC active too.

Have in mind filter adjustment and envelope setting should be close to identical too (if possible at all).

I´m not a big fan of stacking all OSCs and the more OSCs are active and (slightly ?) detuned, the more it masks the tone quality.

That is when all say it´s "fat",- and it´s nothing more than beating saw-waves and an open filter.

Now it depends on what you expect.

Do you want the MOOG One win a direct side-by-side comparison or do you want to make it work in the (your) music, possibly even better than the gear you plan to sell ?

And if it´s music,- which ?

Or is it sounddesign ?

IMO, for many (if not most) musicians, it might do almost everything synth-wise,- but for a musician doing "all synth" electronica, avantgarde or whatever,- and the sounddesigner as well, it might be just another new synth and not a replacement for what exists already.

We have many possibilities today ...

They say the Behringer D nails the "raw" Minimoog tone well.

I dunno if it really does,- but I recognize the MOOG ONE has some CV I/Os in addition to MIDI.

They obviously had modular- and eurorack-systems in mind too.

I imagine MOOG ONE controls a Behringer D via CV w/ ease and possibly better than via MIDI (because of the Behringer D´s poor MIDI implementation).

;)

A.C.

2018 - Moog One released - $7999.00 list

2028 - New multidimensional synthesis method-based synth released by Yamaha - everyone sells their Moog One for $800

2033 - Everyone now thinks multidimensional synthesis sounds too thin, sterile, and sounds are overused. Keyboardists long for warm analog sounds

2024 - Vintage Moog Ones now selling for $25,000

Seriously though, hope is sounds as good as it looks and its specs say.

I could see buying the 8-voice One even if it will never be upgradeable to 16 voices. Anyone who has ever played a Memorymoog can attest to how huge and thick six-voice 3 oscillators chords can sound. I borrowed a Memorymoog for a few weeks years ago and I never once wished for more voices on the thing.

An eight voice Moog One should be able to produce a monophonic bass and and a monophonic lead and still have the full Memorymoog polyphony left over for chords/comping etc. Separate audio outs for each element as well! Is that really not enough?

It all depends on functionality and sound,- and in my age I want less gear doing more work instead collecting gear needing more and more care.

That's pretty much where I'm at, other than the needing more care part, since I am selling off newer things. If it can kinda sorta replace a few other boards for my needs, it is essentially a trade, maybe with a small cash outlay. I'm trying not to sell anything vintage, rare, difficult to replace, or fundamental to my existence. :) But if I can ditch a few modern mono synths and some assorted other gear and get this thing that might be my main synth for years, it seems like a no brainer. I also may decide that the Moog One sounds like crap and I don't want it. I doubt that, but its possible. The verbal reports have all been extremely positive. What I expect is that Moog One::MemoryMoog =Voyager::Model D. Lacking some of the rawness of tone that made its predecessor so beloved, but with a ton of modern features. In this case, the mod matrix, Eventide reverbs, effects including vocoder, multitimbrality, new oscillators with analog wave shaping, SVF.....

On the other hand, I spent a couple of hours playing my OB-6 through an Eventide H9 box last night, and I'd be reluctant to part with that combo anytime soon.

All this obsession from someone who is primarily a piano/organ player. :)