Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2951143 - 10/02/18 08:55 PM Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please
Alkeys Offline

Roland if you're listening, I like your new RD-2000 and it's the first keyboard I've liked that's come out in a long time due to the modeling. But 88 weighted keys makes it too heavy to transport in a hard case and too hard to fit in a car. For gigging musicians, if they made a 76 or 73 key semi-weighted, or waterfall- either would be fine, keyboard version, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and it would be a much better option than the Korg Grandstage 73 and the Nord Stage 3 Compact. The V-730 combo just isn't the same and I wish you guys would release the RD-2000 in a 76 or 73 key version.

Did anyone else fall in love with the RD-2000 and then go DANG IT!!! when they saw it was in 88 key version only? Personally I love 88 keys for things that stay at home but for gigs, 76 or 73 keys is much easier to deal with onstage and in the car.

I really don't want to use software, laptops, ipads or anything for gigging and I want to use hardware. I have been using a Yamaha Motif Rack Classic hooked up to a Roland A-37 and this has been the most expressive combo I've found so far. I do admit my Yamaha Motif Rack Classic is sounding old and unexciting but I like the Roland Pitch stick and I like the light weight and 76 keys of the A-37 as a controller, which is why I haven't found a replacement for this rig that I've had since early 2000's.

other options I've considered:
Korg Grandstage- sounds eh, not exciting to me, don't like the wheels, wish it had the Korg Pitchstick instead of wheels.
Korg Kronos 2- takes too long to load (a minute and half I hear?) and too many sound engines- too complicated
Nord Stage 3 Compact- not crazy about the keybed-a bit stiff and in desperate need of new Clav samples and UI is too busy and complicated. I don't really need the synth engine and the only reason I considered the Stage over the Electro line is the pitch stick. As far as Clavia, I really would like a Nord Electro but it doesn't have the pitch stick and I like the pitch stick occasionally for Clav sounds a la George Duke so that's why I have to go the Stage Route. Why can't they release a Electro with a pitch stick that works on Clav?

The Roland RD-2000 is perfect. Build quality is great. Clavs way better than Nord Stage 3, modeled sounds, beautiful less is more type machine, but wish it came in a lightweight 76 or 73 key version. Therefor I have to keep my money in my wallet.

It seems whenever I'm shopping for gear that the manufacturers get it almost right but not quite and so I keep my money in my wallet and hold on to my old gear.

Clavia Nord Electro with a pitch stick would be awesome. (don't need the synth engine)
Roland RD-2000 with 76 semi weighted or 73 waterfall keys (borrow the keybed from the Juno 76 or the V-730 would be fine with me) but none of these options exist.

Edited by Alkeys (10/02/18 08:55 PM)

KC Island
#2951148 - 10/02/18 11:05 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: Alkeys]
mojkarma Offline

It seems to me, a Kurzweil Forte 7 would give you all you need...

#2951152 - 10/02/18 11:58 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: mojkarma]
Alkeys Offline

I'll have to check the Forte 7 out. Seems they aren't sold in Guitar Center so kind of hard to try out in person. Thanks for the suggestion.

#2951154 - 10/03/18 12:24 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: Alkeys]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

I can absolutely understand wanting a premium stage piano with 73/76 piano-style (hammer-action) keys. (And the Forte 7 is lovely - I played an 8 recently and lost myself in the sound and the possibilities. Wheels not stick though).

But a premium stage piano with a semi-weighted/synth-style (sprung) action? That's a rare ask. Nord Stage Compact is the closest. I don't see Nord releasing a pitch-stick-equipped Electro - and it would presumably suffer the same action failings that you mentioned on the Stage. If the Nord Stage action is too tightly sprung you can get replacement springs from Syntaur, and Forumites have reported a lighter action with them. (I just checked, there are no springs listed under Nord Stage, but the Electro listing has some, which I suspect they will fit the Stage perfectly).

If you like your A37, why not link it to a module or virtual instrument running on an iPad? Or if it has to be modelled, Pianoteq running on a laptop/SFF PC?

Cheers, Mike.

#2951155 - 10/03/18 12:48 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: stoken6]
zephonic Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Funny, Id love a semi-weighted 76-key RD with aftertouch, Id buy that right away (assuming it has the same action as the Fantom/Jupiter).

#2951162 - 10/03/18 04:45 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: zephonic]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
It seems like a Jupiter-50 or 80 would be essentially the same soundset-wise as an RD. The piano sounds are a little older but I doubt that there are huge differences.

Architecture-wise (performances, splits, layers) it will be much more different.
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2951165 - 10/03/18 05:38 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: marczellm]
Moonglow Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: marczellm
It seems like a Jupiter-50 or 80 would be essentially the same soundset-wise as an RD.

The Jupiters actually have more Supernatural sounds than the RD, but dont feature the V-Piano. If weight is an issue, the Jupiter-50 may be the more attractive option. Of course, pursuing a Jupiter would also require venturing into the used market, but they do seem to check most of the OPs boxes.

#2951168 - 10/03/18 06:06 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: Moonglow]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Kurzweil Forte 7 for you.

#2951175 - 10/03/18 06:27 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: jeffinpghpa]
Rusty Mike Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
Originally Posted By: jeffinpghpa
Kurzweil Forte 7 for you.

The Forte 7 is still over 40 lbs. (almost 19kg). That's heavy for a 7x instrument.

#2951176 - 10/03/18 06:30 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: jeffinpghpa]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Forte's great & sound is unrivaled... the PHA5 action on the RD-2000 is what truly separates the two, and the RD-2000 is 10 lbs. beefier in weight, yuck. Welcome to the never ending search for the "perfect". ;-)
FYI, the new AXIAL organ for the RD-2000 really brings the board in the class of the top slabs.

#2951236 - 10/03/18 11:00 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: Alkeys]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Alkeys
have been using a Yamaha Motif Rack Classic hooked up to a Roland A-37 and this has been the most expressive combo I've found so far. I do admit my Yamaha Motif Rack Classic is sounding old and unexciting but I like the Roland Pitch stick and I like the light weight and 76 keys of the A-37 as a controller, which is why I haven't found a replacement for this rig that I've had since early 2000's.

Replace your Motif Rack with a Roland Integra, and you've pretty much got what you want, and more, except for the V-Piano. (You still get the SuperNatural pianos, though.)

#2952449 - 10/10/18 08:58 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: AnotherScott]
Alkeys Offline

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Man oh man I really really wish they either made a semi-weighted 76 or 73 version of the RD-2000 or that they made a rackmount version like an Integra that includes the V-piano. The RD-2000 is such a beautiful instrument. I think I'm going to buy one just to keep at home.

I have been a Yamaha guy for so long (apart from my beloved MKS-20 that stays in the studio) and I thought long and hard about getting a Yamaha Motif XS Rack in place of my Motif Classic Rack to update the sound a bit for live but I can't believe the Clav in the Motif is a sample that represents only one pick up setting. Unlike Roland and Clavia which feature multiple pickup settings.

The Clavinet is such a beautiful instrument in its' own right and with all the pickup settings, there's really a wide range of tones to be had and it always seems to be added like an afterthought to romplers and under-represented in the past like there will only be a few Clav sounds and they're always a variation of the same Clav sound but with effects being the only difference, auto-way, phaser, overdrive etc all on the same dang pickup setting. That's always been my gripe on the Yamaha Motif Clavinet patches- like they don't even include multiple pickup settings.

I wonder if the Clavs in the RD-2000 are the same as those found in the Integra or if they are modeled? Or if the Clav sounds in the RD-2000 are the same ones as in a Fantom XR rack with an SRX-12 installed would be the same? That might be the answer. Does anyone know?

#2952467 - 10/11/18 12:59 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: Alkeys]
mojkarma Offline

Originally Posted By: Alkeys

I wonder if the Clavs in the RD-2000 are the same as those found in the Integra or if they are modeled?

Your question is a littelbit unclear. The clavs on the Integra ARE modeled (= being a "supernatural" sound in Roland terms). There are also the older samples from the XV series since that engine is also built into the Integra. On top of that all srx cards are built into the Integra and that should include also the srx-12.

#2952476 - 10/11/18 03:33 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: mojkarma]
Xfeten Offline

Anda ... Roland Fa07? Why not?

#2952488 - 10/11/18 05:18 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: Xfeten]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
The Roland FA-07 checks all of the boxes except that it doesn't have the V-Piano.

It has the Super Natural pianos and they're fine for me! I also have Ravenscroft and Neo Soul Keys for ioS on my iPad that work very nicely with the FA-07, but the onboard SN piano and electromechanical sounds on the FA-07 are good enough for me. If someone's complaint about the Kronos is bootup time, then adding a second device doesn't make the setup time faster.

I pretty much would fit the bill as someone who uses their FA-07 like a portable 76 key lightweight RD-2000 alternative for jams, sitting in with people, rehearsals, etc.

I guess you can add the Yamaha MODX 7 to the list of options, too.

#2952493 - 10/11/18 05:45 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: jeffinpghpa]
mojkarma Offline

If someone's complaint about the Kronos is bootup time, then adding a second device doesn't make the setup time faster.

Great point!

#2952495 - 10/11/18 06:32 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: jeffinpghpa]
Rusty Mike Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
The Roland FA-07 checks all of the boxes except that it doesn't have the V-Piano.

It has the Super Natural pianos and they're fine for me! I also have Ravenscroft and Neo Soul Keys for ioS on my iPad that work very nicely with the FA-07, but the onboard SN piano and electromechanical sounds on the FA-07 are good enough for me. If someone's complaint about the Kronos is bootup time, then adding a second device doesn't make the setup time faster.

I pretty much would fit the bill as someone who uses their FA-07 like a portable 76 key lightweight RD-2000 alternative for jams, sitting in with people, rehearsals, etc.

I guess you can add the Yamaha MODX 7 to the list of options, too.

The FA-07 is also not a weighted piano action.

I'm really hoping that Yamaha's introduction of the P121 will kick Roland into considering an "RD-76" type of product. And don't put a left cheek block on it - put the wheels above the keys. The whole idea is to have a compact, well playing and quality sounding instrument.

Heck, even if Yamaha took the floor pan of the P121 and created a mid-level entry in the P51x line, I'd be there.

I know this is a pipe dream, but piano action and less than 30 lbs. weight would be ideal.

#2952496 - 10/11/18 06:46 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 with 76 or 73 semi-weighted keybed please [Re: mojkarma]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: mojkarma
If someone's complaint about the Kronos is bootup time, then adding a second device doesn't make the setup time faster.

Great point!

True, but FA-07 boot time plus time to place/connect the iPad still wouldn't come close to Kronos boot time! Plus if you were in a rush to start playing, you could "get by" on the FA and then add the iPad during a break. For me, I pretty much always set up an iPad anyway, even if just for song lists/charts. So the additional time would be just for wiring it in (audio/MIDI). Can the FA simultaneously send MIDI Out and bring audio in on its USB connection? If so, that would be really quick.

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner