Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

The MODX is not for me.

I owned the 7 for 2 days last week and send it back to the store.

While the MODX sounds are ok and the motionsounds are spectacular for one or two times, i didn't like the overal feel of this keyboard. It feels like i was playing a toy and not an instrument.

It's all plastic, it's too light, i would fly of my stand when there is too much wind outside on stage. I'm sorry Yamaha .

Just curious - What is the right board for you? Itd help us gage your review. Not questioning - your review is perfectly valid. All such things are personal and its for you, its not for you, its somewhere in between. There is never a right answer

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Busch,

If you personally decide on MODX, I just hope you create sounds for the Montage, which can then also be used in MODX. (You have no doubt heard that Montage cannot read MODX files).

Thanks Barry. Yes, I'm aware of that issue and am trying to work through it. I would very much like to provide products on both.

Busch.

The MODX is not for me.

I owned the 7 for 2 days last week and send it back to the store.

While the MODX sounds are ok and the motionsounds are spectacular for one or two times, i didn't like the overal feel of this keyboard. It feels like i was playing a toy and not an instrument.

It's all plastic, it's too light, i would fly of my stand when there is too much wind outside on stage. I'm sorry Yamaha .

Just curious - What is the right board for you? Itd help us gage your review. Not questioning - your review is perfectly valid. All such things are personal and its for you, its not for you, its somewhere in between. There is never a right answer

I always had to much fun with the old Kurzweil Sp4-7 as bottom board and an Nord Electro 61 or Mojo 61 on top.

But don't get me wrong, i love Yamaha and also owned the Montage 8 for a while, (+ many other Yamaha's S90, S90ES, S90XS, P150, P200, P250, P90, Cp33) but Montage 8 being to big ...

In the FWIW department, I just got back from GC where they had a nice display with a MODX8 right as you walked in the door. Spent a few minutes on it and will see what I can sell to help fund it. I used to own a DGX-500 years ago and currently have a M-Audio Keystation 88es and the keybed on the MODX8 feels similar to both of them in my opinion. Manageable, but I'd be using it for a one-board gigging solution along with my MBP and Mainstage anyway. If I want something closer to a more traditional weighted piano action I've got the Kronos 88 in the home studio. I've also got a FC7 that I can see using to replicate the big knob function and not have to take my hands off the board. Definitely left with GAS.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

In the FWIW department, I just got back from GC where they had a nice display with a MODX8 right as you walked in the door. Spent a few minutes on it and will see what I can sell to help fund it. I used to own a DGX-500 years ago and currently have a M-Audio Keystation 88es and the keybed on the MODX8 feels similar to both of them in my opinion. Manageable, but I'd be using it for a one-board gigging solution along with my MBP and Mainstage anyway. If I want something closer to a more traditional weighted piano action I've got the Kronos 88 in the home studio. I've also got a FC7 that I can see using to replicate the big knob function and not have to take my hands off the board. Definitely left with GAS.

Me too... just last night an MODX8.

Questions that may likely be nested in the preceding 14 pages.

The basic intended application is for live playing, split bass and 3 voices minimum in right hand.... With easy control of those voices as I perform, just like my previous keyboards.

Fantom G6, Kurz PC88.

Is it comparable sonically to Montage? It sounded close. If identical, what is absent from "it" compared to Montage?

Splits anywhere, same as most keyboards? No limiting restrictions such as the DMG660?

How many parts can be "played" at the same time? I am guessing 8 ( though I heard 16, which seems impractical for Live ) but only 4 sliders!

No restrictions re Octave of parts ( like my tyros ) ?

No restrictions with sustain pedal assignment among all parts ?

I lifted it momentarily and it seemed lighter than Montage 8.

if there is a page where all this info is found, can it be posted here?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Me too... just last night an MODX8.

Questions that may likely be nested in the preceding 14 pages.

The basic intended application is for live playing, split bass and 3 voices minimum in right hand.... With easy control of those voices as I perform, just like my previous keyboards.

Fantom G6, Kurz PC88.

Is it comparable sonically to Montage? It sounded close. If identical, what is absent from "it" compared to Montage?

Splits anywhere, same as most keyboards? No limiting restrictions such as the DMG660?

How many parts can be "played" at the same time? I am guessing 8 ( though I heard 16, which seems impractical for Live ) but only 4 sliders!

No restrictions re Octave of parts ( like my tyros ) ?

No restrictions with sustain pedal assignment among all parts ?

I lifted it momentarily and it seemed lighter than Montage 8.

if there is a page where all this info is found, can it be posted here?

I doubt all of that i on one page.

Tuning can be +/- 6 octaves between Element tuning (+/- 4) and Part tuning (+/- 2). doubtful youll find instances that require greater shift.

8 parts can be played via keyboard, another 8 by external controller if so configured.

4 drawbars, but there is a 1-4 / 5-8 button to toggle between which of the part groups are affected.

Sustain, can be recognized or ignored by each part as you program it. Default is probably recognize sustain messages, you can toggle it off. Same as Motifs

MODX8 weighs 30 lbs, Montage ~ 63 lbs. so yes, it should feel lighter

Splits and layers anywhere you wish to program them, yes.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

The guy states that the flash ram is 768 megs (as oposed to 1 gig)- Busch take note!

He's wrong. I've uploaded both the Bosendorfer (423mb) and Chick's MkV (418mb) to my MODX8. No problems.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

First gig with it tonight, mostly trio with LH bass and new monitoring system (via Rolls PM351). Very happy so far. My brass layer choices are a bit bright and artificial at PA volumes but otherwise pretty happy with my initial programming. I'm thinking I'm still gonna have to go with the Electro or Hammond on top to take care of organ sounds. Fortunately, either can be mixed in through the A/D inputs of the MODX.

I played the MODX8 briefly at GC this afternoon. I didn't discern any significant differences between the action on the MODX and my MOFX (which I sold a couple of months ago). The sound quality is much improved on the pianos and the EP's. Actually, pretty impressive. I'll be going back for some another test drive soon.

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Any more keybed comparisons between the MOXF8 and the MODX8? And did the MOXF8 stand the test of time?

The quallity (fysically) of the moxf and moxd keybeds is just fine..

They are not flimsy and sturdy enough to withstand time..

However as a piano player the GHS action does not really feel that good

As aynth player the GHS is a good keybed.. altough a little slow for fast passages..

But for a light weight 88 key, the GHS is the only Yamaha action available..

Its durable and will withstand time

And while not the most authentic, it will allow you to play allmost anything..

Where it comes to keyboard action

There is but one rule

Go try it out for yourself

There is many many keyboarsds with yamaha GHS action

While they didn't break on me:

I have owned three keyboards with the GHS action, a P85, KX8, and now the MX88. In both the P85 and MX88 the action started getting (mechanically) noisy after a few months. Not a problem on stage, but distracting in the studio.

MotiDave quote

"MODX8 weighs 30 lbs, Montage ~ 63 lbs. so yes, it should feel lighter"

33 lb difference! One wonders what is the sonic difference that that extra weight entails?

Do other Montage owners have opinion about this little brother to the MODX6 7 8 , tone wise eg comparing the same pianos on each board?

33 lbs and 2000 dollars... what does the MODX not have that a simple musician - non tech pianist - might want or need for live performance?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Any more keybed comparisons between the MOXF8 and the MODX8? And did the MOXF8 stand the test of time?

However as a piano player the GHS action does not really feel that good

As aynth player the GHS is a good keybed.. altough a little slow for fast passages..

But for a light weight 88 key, the GHS is the only Yamaha action available..

Its durable and will withstand time

And while not the most authentic, it will allow you to play allmost anything..

There is but one rule

There is many many keyboards with yamaha GHS action

Which non weighted do you prefer?

Same question for weighted?

33 lbs and 2000 dollars... what does the MODX not have that a simple musician - non tech pianist - might want or need for live performance?

My 2 cents as a Montage 6 owner regarding your question:

The modx 6/7 has a keybed which I personally simply don't like. It feels cheap (to me), doesn't give me any substantial feedback and most importantly, I don't enjoy playing it. In the same way, there is a reason why a drummer prefers to play on a real drum kit instead of an electronic kit and it is by far not only the sound.

The modx8 is a different thing, but if the modx6/7 have keybeds similar to the mox/fx, for me personally it is a big no. I simply don't want to play on those keys like on the mox/fx, korg triton le/tr and similar anymore . I feel punished with those keybeds for not selecting the flagship model.

The modx has less parts for seamless switching and it has less sample memory. Whether this is important or not is up to every individual.

The montage allows you to select your sounds directly with buttons and up to 256 liveset slots can be selected with just two button clicks. The modx doesn't have those buttons (on the right side of the screen). The liveset screen consist of 16 pages where each page shows 16 slots. The slots can be easily selected with one tap. But the respective page can be reached only by pressing the up/down button. That means, jumping from page 1 to page 8 requires you to press the up button eight times before you can select a slot within that page. For me personally, that is an absolute no go on stage. A keyboard where you have to press ten times different buttons before you get to the sound you want, is simply a bad design and the company saved on the wrong part.

(Yamaha could resolve that problem on the modx by creating a drop down menu for selecting one of the 16 pages, but at this point you have to haunt thru the 16 pages with a simple up/down selection method).

To make it short: the keybed and sound selecting method would be my two most important reasons why I would still rather choose the Montage 6/7 over the Modx. When it comes to the modx8, that is a different story and I certainly would never choose the Montage 8 because it is faaaar to heavy. Owned a similar keyboard twice (Korg Triton proX and Roland Fantom G8), never again.

The GHS action as implemented in my MX88 which I sold was too shallow for me (the note throw I believe is the term) but it's implementation on my old P95 I keep around for outside rehersals is fine. Never really understood that...the implementations must have adjustments built in or there are different iterations of GHS is my guess...

I prefer the action's throw in my Kurzweil SP6 which is more like the GHS's implementation in my old P95.

I will have to check out the MODX just to know about the action now... GC for lunch this week...hope they have one out!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

At first I thought this thread was a fake, but I've looked at UJIIE Katsunori's video about it, and it looks like a cheaper Montage for some part. Now, who is going to really do something with that, mm? I mean yet another fascist modernistic rhythm perversion isn't what I mean, but something new and cool. Or hot, anything that's interesting and makes clear why the world needed this keyboard?

T.

Any more keybed comparisons between the MOXF8 and the MODX8?

There is but one rule

There is many many keyboarsds with yamaha GHS action

The question remains whether the different GHS actions all feel the same. If not, trying whatever GHS you find doesn't necessarily tell you how the MODX8 feels.

Better action. Hard to say for "simple musician - non tech pianist" but some performers might also appreciate things like aftertouch, ribbon controller, being able to seamlessly switch between sets of up to 8 sounds at once (vs. 4), having more real-time sliders/knobs (with visual representation of their settings), hard button navigation (in addition to touchscreen), more memory to load additional sounds (including user samples, if desired), 8 scenes (button-switchable sounds) within a Performance vs. 4, more simultaneous effects and polyphony (probably not relevant for most performing situations), internal power supply (instead of wall wart), additional assignable outs and balanced outs (I think).

Which non weighted do you prefer?

Same question for weighted?

It's subjective, but consensus on weighted actions is probably that all Roland hammer actions except maybe Ivory Feel G are better than GHS; Korg RH3; all other Yamaha hammer actions of course; all the Fatar TP40 models (in assorted models from Kurzweil, Nord, and others); all the Kawai models; most of the Casio models. For non-hammer actions, Roland Jupiter 50 and Jupiter 80 (which are different from each other, though also now both discontinued), Korg Kronos, Yamaha FSX, and arguably some of the Fatar and Casio actions.

The liveset screen consist of 16 pages where each page shows 16 slots. The slots can be easily selected with one tap. But the respective page can be reached only by pressing the up/down button. That means, jumping from page 1 to page 8 requires you to press the up button eight times before you can select a slot within that page. For me personally, that is an absolute no go on stage.

Kronos has the exact same aggravating and easily fixable problem.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, with a few significant advances over the Montage/Modx method.

1. The next/previous buttons work endlessly on the Kronos. That means if you are on the first page with the first 16 slots, you can hit the previous button and see actually the last page of the setlist. This doesn't work on the Montage. If you want to go from page 1 to page 16, you simply have to press the next button sixteen times.

2. There is IMO another significant advance on the Kronos over the Montage: Kronos has 128 setlists - each setlist containing 128 slots. The Montage has 8 setlists with 256 slots in each.

Those 128 setlists on the Kronos can be dialed directly by entering the number on the numeric keypad.

If I would be a Kronos user, I would simply use a different setlist for a single song. The first page on the setlist contains 16 slots which is more then enough to cover all parts of a song with dedicated sounds/combinations.

In that way, you can select the setlist for up to 128 songs directly by entering the respective setlist number on the keypad and hit a slot on the first page without the need to cycle thru next/previous pages.

As I said, this is not a problem on the Montage where you can select the pages within a setlist directly with buttons, but the Modx is here a different story.

At first I thought this thread was a fake, but I've looked at UJIIE Katsunori's video about it, and it looks like a cheaper Montage for some part.

1) Now, who is going to really do something with that, mm?

2)I mean yet another fascist modernistic rhythm perversion isn't what I mean, but something new and cool.

3)Or hot, anything that's interesting and makes clear why the world needed this keyboard?

T.

1) and 3) people like me , with too much time on their hands to learn a new keyboard

2) another fascist modernistic rhythm perversion= another 2 minute EDM song that sounds like previous 100 EDM songs

;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Upstaged once again by another of Theo's posts...(sigh)! I liked the 'fascist' remark actually! Music can be very political...like the composer/conductor who helped the Nazis with Wagners music who wasn't really a NAZI who had to make a decision...think they made a movie or a book out of his story! Yes the Japanese have had some fascist ways but I think over there it's call Shintoism!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

looks like a cheaper Montage for some part. Now, who is going to really do something with that, mm?
Me. Not so much because it's cheaper, but because it's lighter. Would have been happy with a Montage if it weren't too heavy for me to gig with.

something new and cool. Or hot, anything that's interesting and makes clear why the world needed this keyboard?

New and cool/hot usually comes out at the higher prices, that's arguably what the Montage was. That's not the role of the later, cheaper derivative models.

I bet it will sell very well. The world hasn't been heavy with lightweight 7x keyboards, and this looks to be one of the best of them, in its combination of sounds (some of the best samples in any board, plus a great FM synth implementation), and operational feel/ergonomics.

Yes, with a few significant advances over the Montage/Modx method.

1. The next/previous buttons work endlessly on the Kronos. That means if you are on the first page with the first 16 slots, you can hit the previous button and see actually the last page of the setlist. This doesn't work on the Montage. If you want to go from page 1 to page 16, you simply have to press the next button sixteen times.

Good point. In fact, on my Kronos, I have my main sounds on Page 1, but my other most used sounds are on pages 2 and 16. Since I spend most of my time on Page 1, I am usually only one screen away from any secondary sound I might need. But there is room along the bottom of the display where they could have provided single-tap direct access to the more distant pages.

2. There is IMO another significant advance on the Kronos over the Montage: Kronos has 128 setlists - each setlist containing 128 slots...Those 128 setlists on the Kronos can be dialed directly by entering the number on the numeric keypad.

Ah yes, I came across that tip once before and forgot about it! That could be a really nice way to access different Set List pages... you have pretty quick direct access to 128 "Page Ones."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

At first I thought this thread was a fake

That would certainly be news to the keyboard I've had sitting in my studio for the last two weeks.

I suspect if one hated MOXF action (be it the 6 or 8), youll feel similarly about the comparable MODX model. And you feel similarly about FA-0x, Krome, etc. Not everyone will be satisfied with the mid-range keybed. My general observation is this is more critical for the better/best AP-centric players here. that could be an over-generalization though it would make sense.

The Rule always applies: try and decide - nobody can decide for you.

Interested in the MODX7 vs FA-07 question - there was a lot of buzz that the FA-07 was much improved vs FA-06. I never played either enough to really say.

I sus

Interested in the MODX7 vs FA-07 question -

there was a lot of buzz that the FA-07 was much improved vs FA-06. I never played either enough to really say.

I was buzzing about that. My conclusion- FA-06 had a low budget [ cheap] keybed feel. It was unacceptable. Just the same, some will say its ok.

FA-07 [ which I own] has an acceptable synth style, or light feel keybed. It was an easy decision. [ compared to the 06].

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]