Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

* The keybed is pretty good. Don't get all excited on me, it's a long stretch from a CP4. But it's a lot better than the MOXF8
Another recent Yamaha hammer board, the P125, had a superior-to-MOXF8 action in my opinion when I tested it recently.

I played a DGX660 yesterday, and I felt that was better feeling than the MOXF8 as well, despite all of these boards being GHS. This make me even more eager to get my hands on a MODX8!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Is the MODX6 keybed the same as the MOXF6?

Good question.

This says yes:

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=186&t=11703&p=69457&hilit=moxf#p69457

This says no:

(discussed from about 1:00 to 2:30)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Good question.

This says yes:

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=186&t=11703&p=69457&hilit=moxf#p69457

This says no:

This is as important as anything else I could know about it. The first link didn't work for me. The second link is just that guy's impression, not official Yamaha info.

The MOXF action is, imo, quite good for the price point, and much better than similarly priced competition from Korg and Roland. It would be great if the MODX was better, but not disqualifying if it was the same.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

This is as important as anything else I could know about it. The first link didn't work for me. The second link is just that guy's impression, not official Yamaha info.

The MOXF action is, imo, quite good for the price point, and much better than similarly priced competition from Korg and Roland. It would be great if the MODX was better, but not disqualifying if it was the same.

Well, it's at least probably pretty safe to assume that it's the same or better. ;-) We know it's not entirely identical, though, because of the matte finish on the black keys. As for the first link, maybe you have to be registered at the site. Anyway, the site admin there said, "The MODX 6 & 7 use the same keybed you will find in the MOXF. I liked it when the MOXF came out and I still like it on the MODX7." But you're right, neither of these people are acting as official Yamaha spokespeople.

The essence of a Montage 8 (for me, anyway) for less than half the price and weight?! I've been saving for the Montage 8, but this could shorten my saving time. :love::drool: I just wonder if the difference in DAC converters mentioned earlier makes a noticeable difference in the sound quality. That would be the only reason to keep saving, IMO.

* The keybed is pretty good. Don't get all excited on me, it's a long stretch from a CP4. But it's a lot better than the MOXF8
Another recent Yamaha hammer board, the P125, had a superior-to-MOXF8 action in my opinion when I tested it recently.

I played a DGX660 yesterday, and I felt that was better feeling than the MOXF8 as well, despite all of these boards being GHS. This make me even more eager to get my hands on a MODX8!

I suppose Yamaha could have just quietly improved on the action without changing the name of it. Car manufacturers do that constantly! :laugh:

><>

Steve

^^^

Listening to the piano up to around 1:30 with Neumann KHS120s and a Benchmark DAC 3-- the Montage has a noticeably thicker, fuller, more rich sound.

I don't think you would be able to discern a huge difference, live in a group, with generic $500-600 speakers.

I think the Montage is just mixed a bit louder.

^^^

Listening to the piano up to around 1:30 with Neumann KHS120s and a Benchmark DAC 3-- the Montage has a noticeably thicker, fuller, more rich sound.

I don't think you would be able to discern a huge difference, live in a group, with generic $500-600 speakers.

I think the Montage is just mixed a bit louder.

Could be - a slight increase in recorded level is typically perceived as sounding "better", not "louder".

https://www.teachmeaudio.com/recording/sound-reproduction/fletcher-munson-curves/

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/fletcher-munson-curve/

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Just played the MODX 8 at the local guitar center for about 15 minutes. Generally I liked the way it sounded and the action was good at the price point. Over all for the money it seems to be a pretty good buy.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

The above Montage/MODX comparison video leaves the viewer with some assumptions that might not be true:

a) That programs/performances with the same name are VOICED the same. That's a BIG assumption. Manufacturers revoicing/tweak all the time.

b) Channels on the mixer and inputs into the recorder are EQed and calibrated the same.

c) A person playing similar passages on two different keyboard actions will sound same.

I'm always highly suspect of the live Youtube comparisons between different systems. That's not how it should be done if you want a completely honest shootout.

I'll say this. If there's that big a difference between IDENTICAL piano programs, then Houston, we have a problem. In a digital system, that just shouldn't be the case. I've done a lot of ABing of modern DACs and the differences should be subtle. Personally, I have zero confidence in that Youtube comparison. None.

I played the MODX8 today and compared it against the Montage8. I was surprised that the overall fit & finish was that close (the MODX just didn't feel cheap). I thought the MODX8 action was fine. Not the same balanced, weighted feel of the Montage, but it was fine and a significant improvement over the MOXF, which I also played. In playing a CFX performance on the Montage, I really liked how it responded dynamically. I pulled up the "same" performance on the MODX and didn't quite get the same reaction. Different actions for sure, possibly different voicing and I was playing through different speaker systems. So my verdict is, no verdict.

I was considering the Montage, not any longer. The MODX has all that I need.

Busch.

Busch,

If you personally decide on MODX, I just hope you create sounds for the Montage, which can then also be used in MODX. (You have no doubt heard that Montage cannot read MODX files).

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I played all three sizes at Cosmo music today in toronto area. Key action on modx8 is exactly same as the moxf8. If your a montage lover, this is the board to gig with, i did the lift test. Me, i guess im still completely satisfied with my XS8 and moXF8.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I played the MODX8 today...I thought the MODX8 action was fine...and a significant improvement over the MOXF, which I also played.
I played all three sizes at Cosmo music today in toronto area. Key action on modx8 is exactly same as the moxf8.

Well, I'm glad that's settled then. ;-)

I played the MODX8 today...I thought the MODX8 action was fine...and a significant improvement over the MOXF, which I also played.
I played all three sizes at Cosmo music today in toronto area. Key action on modx8 is exactly same as the moxf8.

if theres any improvement on the action, it aint significant. Im pretty intimate with the moxf8 and i didnt feel a difference. it wont be long until someone opens up the board and confirms. But generally if Yamaha is not bragging about a new feature, that means its not new or improved

-Greg

Those MOXF floor models at the GC's and SA's get beat up pretty bad. One month in the store and that action is gone.

I can imagine a brand-new MODX would feel much better than a MOXF that has been on the floor for a while.

Anyway, I'm getting my MODX8 on Monday. :boing:

I definitely agree with this statement. The moxf8 definitely loosened up over time on my board.

-Greg

My use is live performance - DAC difference will be negligible compared to the venue - to - venue variation imo. I dont hear a practical difference in gigging Motif XF vs MOXF.

Im ordering a 7 soon ... I need to have it dialed in for late December shows, so maybe this next week ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

if theres any improvement on the action, it aint significant. Im pretty intimate with the moxf8 and i didnt feel a difference. it wont be long until someone opens up the board and confirms. But generally if Yamaha is not bragging about a new feature, that means its not new or improved

I defer to anyone with extended experience with these actions. Likely what I found was a result of new vs worn. I will say manufacturers do routinely revise things like keyboard actions without changing designations. Korg did it with the RH3 when the moved from the problematic contacts. Internally, they might be called rev 1, 2, 3, etc. but publicly it's just known as the RH3.

Busch.

Good question.

This says yes:

This says no:

I tested them next to eachother at music store..(61 keys)

The moxd feels like a slightly modded version of the moxf to me..

Somehow feels a little less flimsy when playing the modx..

Touch is almost the same..

Finally got around to downloading the Bosendorfer it's a big improvement on the CFX for my money and definitely worth grabbing while you can. Also downloaded Chick's Mk V and that too is absolutely excellent. A pity that there's not really room for anything else once you have that installed but still, at least I have the option of using MainStage to expand the sonic palette.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Finally got around to downloading the Bosendorfer it's a big improvement on the CFX for my money and definitely worth grabbing while you can. Also downloaded Chick's Mk V and that too is absolutely excellent. A pity that there's not really room for anything else once you have that installed but still, at least I have the option of using MainStage to expand the sonic palette.

The CFX isnt bad...

but its a typical bright yamaha piano sound,

very well suited for cutting trough a mix..

The bösendorfer is much warmer in character

Which makes it excellently suited for solo piano parts..

This is not so much a matter of the sample quallity

But much more about the tonal differnece between a yamaha grand and a Bösendorfer or steinway..

hello Aidan, since I see you have Tyros, I was wondering how the horn voices, namely tenor sax, sound on the MODX as compared to the Tyros......Larry

Hi Larry, simply put, they're not as good. The Tyros voices have various bits of AI in terms of inflection, slurs, key noise etc baked into them which respond to your playing automatically. The Montage/MODX/Motif voices, by comparison, maybe have one or at most two variations in them activated by the assignable function buttons. For function band gigs, fine, but the Tyros versions are way ahead in realism and some are viable substitutions for big software libraries.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The Tyros voices have various bits of AI in terms of inflection, slurs, key noise etc baked into them which respond to your playing automatically. The Montage/MODX/Motif voices, by comparison, maybe have one or at most two variations in them activated by the assignable function buttons. For function band gigs, fine, but the Tyros versions are way ahead in realism and some are viable substitutions for big software libraries.

This is the same idea as Roland's SuperNatural acoustic tones. A MODX driving a Roland Integra could be another way to skin this cat.

The MODX is not for me.

I owned the 7 for 2 days last week and send it back to the store.

While the MODX sounds are ok and the motionsounds are spectacular for one or two times, i didn't like the overal feel of this keyboard. It feels like i was playing a toy and not an instrument.

It's all plastic, it's too light, i would fly of my stand when there is too much wind outside on stage. I'm sorry Yamaha .