Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2950427 - 09/28/18 04:53 AM Cable file bag?
cedar Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: New York
Just came across this item, and considering making a purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-File-Bag-Accessories-Organizer/dp/B00BJ8Q49S

Does this seem worthwhile? Most of my gigs recently are jazz trio gigs. I currently place some cables in cases for the separate gear but need a small bag to carry others (i.e., cables for small mixer, PA system and extension cords). I also generally bring a a backpack for a variety of smaller things (like small mixer, ZOOM recorder, Microsoft Surface, business cards etc.). Maybe this bag could handle all those things, plus add some organization?

Opinions? Alternatives?

KC Island
#2950431 - 09/28/18 05:02 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: cedar]
RichieP_MechE Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have a similar bag and really like it - Phitz medium cable bag

One of the zipper pulls fell off at some point but other than that it's been great. It's way more efficient for organizing and retrieving cables and pedals, keeps things way neater than just dumping everything into a duffel bag like I used to do. Definitely a worthwhile purchase IMO.

#2950550 - 09/28/18 07:16 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: cedar]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: cedar
Does this seem worthwhile?

I have been using this exact bag for the past six years under a heavy gigging, touring and rehearsing workload. I mainly keep instrument cables in it but I also use it/have used it for IEC cables, extension leads, small mixers, powerboards, batteries, pedals and miscellaneous bits and bobs.

It keeps me exceptionally organised and reduces my stress levels during set up and tear down. It also helps me ensure I never leave anything behind at a gig as I know exactly what should be in each slot.

The bag is often the recipient of compliments from stage techs, particularly those who share my passion for cable management.

TL;DR - "Yes".

#2950558 - 09/28/18 08:26 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Cower, Boy! NQ]
cedar Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
Does this seem worthwhile?

I have been using this exact bag for the past six years under a heavy gigging, touring and rehearsing workload. I mainly keep instrument cables in it but I also use it/have used it for IEC cables, extension leads, small mixers, powerboards, batteries, pedals and miscellaneous bits and bobs.

It keeps me exceptionally organised and reduces my stress levels during set up and tear down. It also helps me ensure I never leave anything behind at a gig as I know exactly what should be in each slot.

The bag is often the recipient of compliments from stage techs, particularly those who share my passion for cable management.

TL;DR - "Yes".

I'm sold. I see it comes in two versions, one somewhat smaller than the other. Now I just need to decide which size is best.

#2952131 - 10/09/18 10:50 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: cedar]
OB Dave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego CA, US
Based on this discussion I bought the smaller of the two bags. It arrived yesterday and after playing with it for 5 minutes decided to send it back. For a couple reasons.

The interior dimensions are smaller that the item description by a couple inches. Properly coiled 20-25 foot mic cabled don't really fit into the little slots without having to be smooshed down.

Also the zippers are terrible quality. Brand new bag and already they want to jam up. I can see those things getting derailed in short order. They should have used the big jumbo zippers like what's used on Gator bags.

Much lower quality than I would have expected for the price.

#2952139 - 10/09/18 11:10 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: OB Dave]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
There are three sizes, and I gigged this last weekend with someone who had two of them (large and medium). I was considering the large until I saw how large it really is. Even the medium is much bigger than I expected. So I am wondering if maybe you ended up with the small one...?

#2952154 - 10/09/18 11:46 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
cedar Offline
Platinum Member

I thought there were only 2 sizes. I bought the smallest one I saw. The zippers are not great, but the size works for me. Aside from very long exttension cords. I can fit all the cables I typically carry. And I found on a recent gig that the organizers helped.

#2952160 - 10/09/18 12:09 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: cedar]
wineandkeyz Offline
Gold Member

Loc: North Carolina
I love mine. My wife bought the largest size for me as a birthday present 2 or 3 years ago. When I saw it, I thought, "Gee... Thanks. A duffel bag." Even after she showed me what it's all about I didn't know if I'd actually use it.
But once I got everything organized and stowed away in it, I'm hooked. I tote cables, pedals, power strips, a plastic tackle box I bought for my IEMs and batteries, etc. I've almost worn the canvas off the bottom of it by sliding it in and out of my truck, but haven't had any problems with the zippers.

#2952174 - 10/09/18 12:43 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: wineandkeyz]
Tombstone88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
I use a sweetwater branded gig bag. It doesn't have dividers but it has pockets on all 4 sides. I have a lot of stuff in mine other than cables. Including stomp boxes, mics & pedals. My only complaint is that I have it so loaded its pretty heavy. It weighs more than my SP6! It also includes the cables for my PA, Lights & rig.

#2952176 - 10/09/18 01:18 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: cedar]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2952192 - 10/09/18 02:43 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
cedar Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: MaskOfInsects

Ok, it turns out I got the mid=size one.

#2952202 - 10/09/18 03:25 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: cedar]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ok, it turns out I got the mid=size one.

That's the one I saw at the gig that was plenty big--almost bigger than I need. It looks just like the smallest one but is off by a few inches (which is why I wondered if maybe OB Dave ended up with the smallest one instead of the medium).

#2952239 - 10/09/18 05:29 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Michigan
dang thats awesome, sure beats my rubbermaid tote ive been using for 20yrs

#2952251 - 10/09/18 06:18 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
A pair of milk crates still does me. And they double as the mixer stand too wink

#2952262 - 10/09/18 07:21 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: miden]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: miden
A pair of milk crates still does me. And they double as the mixer stand too wink
Is that the kind that has the text "Property of Xxx Dairy. If you see this elsewhere, it is stolen"?
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2952266 - 10/09/18 07:37 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: miden]
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Michigan

wait thats not the milkman coming, thats the keyboard player! like

#2952267 - 10/09/18 07:39 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Tom Williams]
ShadowMan Offline

I've had good success with the large canvas mechanic tool bags from military surplus stores.

They are big, cheap (less than $20), have really solid zippers and last forever. I use one for audio cables and one for all my electrical cables/extension cords/powerstrips. Mine are at least 8 years old and are still in great shape.

#2952283 - 10/09/18 10:21 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: ShadowMan]
MPN21 Offline

You mean something like these;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=canvas+mechanic+tool+bag&_sacat=0

#2952293 - 10/10/18 01:37 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MPN21]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

To add to the zipper conversation above, I can report zero issues after six years of extensive use - of course I don't rule out the possibility that CablePhyle may now source their zippers elsewhere.

#2952299 - 10/10/18 03:46 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MPN21]
piano39 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: MPN21
You mean something like these;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=canvas+mechanic+tool+bag&_sacat=0

I am intrigued. Most of the listings on the ebay page that you linked to, however, do not show photos of the inside of the bag. I don't think that any of them are arranged as nicely as the cable file bags that are marketed as such.

Looks like a trip to Home Depot is in order.

#2952315 - 10/10/18 05:47 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Tom Williams]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Tom Williams
Is that the kind that has the text "Property of Xxx Dairy. If you see this elsewhere, it is stolen"?

haha, yeah....no, in truth I found these at the tip, checked with tip staff who said they were fine to take. Just doing my bit (small) for recycling hahaha!

#2952316 - 10/10/18 05:54 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: miden]
J Graul Offline

Loc: Loo-uh-vull
I use a small suitcase with casters and pull handle. Completely disorganized but easy on the shoulder/back.

#2952317 - 10/10/18 05:54 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: miden]
J Graul Offline

Loc: Loo-uh-vull
I use a small suitcase with casters and pull handle. Completely disorganized but easy on the shoulder/back.

#2952333 - 10/10/18 07:18 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: J Graul]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
The medium size looks good for me. Iíve been using a computer bag with wheels and a pullout handle for the past few years. Turns out I hardly ever use the pullout handle and wheels, and it doesnít have dividers. I like the idea of dividers providing better organization. Iíd like for my cable bag to double as a low stand for laptop, Vent, and/or T&F depending on the gig. I want this stuff to be occasionally reachable and donít want to shelp a stand. It looks the closed top should be stable (although far from flat) with the dividers supporting it.

#2952406 - 10/10/18 01:40 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Al Quinn]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

Hey Al,

Speaking personally, I wouldn't use the bag as a stand. It's made of soft material not unlike a sturdy gym bag so the top surface is always a little uneven even when full and zippered shut. It also doesn't sit very high off the ground.

But if neither of those things are an issue for you then yeah it might work?

#2952413 - 10/10/18 02:41 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Cower, Boy! NQ]
OB Dave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego CA, US
The one I ordered was the medium size. Just wasn't for me, I guess. I think in the end the dividers would have driven me nuts anyway, as I'd now have 37 different places to look for that adapter or short cable.

That eBay canvas tool bag looks interesting though!

#2952414 - 10/10/18 02:50 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MPN21]
ShadowMan Offline

Yes - exactly.

There is no separation inside, and only the two snap pockets outside. But they are cheap, sturdy and great for cables.

Smaller sized ones are great toolbags, too.

*** In looking closer at the Ebay link, it appears there are indeed some inside pockets in those bags. My cheapo surplus store ones only have the outside pockets. ***

Edited by ShadowMan (10/10/18 06:17 PM)

#2952417 - 10/10/18 04:27 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Cower, Boy! NQ]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Cower, Boy! NQ
To add to the zipper conversation above, I can report zero issues after six years of extensive use - of course I don't rule out the possibility that CablePhyle may now source their zippers elsewhere.

Got it. I'll stick with the bag I have for now. Thanks Cowboy!

#2952469 - 10/11/18 01:38 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Al Quinn]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

You're welcome, Al!

#2952517 - 10/11/18 08:38 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Cower, Boy! NQ]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've been mildly interested in a couple of different camera bags for this purpose, including this one, which seems like a good shape, size, and price (and would hold a mixer perhaps).

#2952523 - 10/11/18 08:55 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Am I missing something or did they show 7 views of the outside and none of the inside?

#2952529 - 10/11/18 09:04 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Wastrel]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

They show the inside too. Keep scrolling.

#2952532 - 10/11/18 09:06 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
I never used bags. I guess I thought they were more difficult to deal with than milk crates (when I was a teen) or suitcases (my first touring cable cases...it was 1980, the suitcases were plastic molded). I had small flight cases for my cables until I went to Iraq and then I had to purchase some lighter cases, and I bought some SKB utilitycases that had pull out handles and wheels. Bought 2 of them, and still use them 15 years later. You can buy cheaper versions that are actually larger for about $30 at Sams Club. They're not quite the grade of my old SKBs, but for cables, small mixers??? Hell, I may actually use it for fly rigs, and foam it for my Integra and a mini vent, and a handful of "dont trust the rider" items.

Here's a link: $30 Cmon!!!

For lest strenuous needs, this should fill everyone's checklist For $30

For Those Who Are Organized (OCD? Yeah you know me!)

Edited by Tonysounds (10/11/18 09:09 AM)

#2952537 - 10/11/18 09:28 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

I use an old Sierra Club duffel bag which I got for joining the SC. I've got expression pedal, sustain pedal, wireless sax mic and receiver, speaker cables, mic cables, octopus extension cord with 5 power cords, assorted other stuff. I've looked at all the bags linked to in this thread and I still think any old small-to-medium duffel works best. I'm looking at gym bags on Amazon right now as well as other types of duffel bags.

#2952549 - 10/11/18 10:13 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: El Lobo]
cedar Offline
Platinum Member

The reason the bag in the OP appealed to me - and what I think might distinguish it from a typical duffel bag and some of the other- are the little compartments, which seem fairly well-suited to what I personally carry.

In recent months, it seems I am mostly doing jazz trio gigs. For those I like to carry: cables of different length for PA; small mixer; mic; decent size extension cord with power strip; gaffer tape; ZOOM recording devices; maybe a couple of things I'm forgetting.These items fit pretty well in the compartments.

Until I bought this bag, I threw some of these items into a backpack, and others into a generic shopping bag. Because I am so impatient leaving gigs, I found myself in the habit of throwing things in either bag without any thought, which inevitably required me to take time to re-assemble and organize before next gig.

So I believe the compartments are going to force me to be a little more organized. But those of you who are more careful about packing in the first place might do just as well with a duffel bag or something without compartments.

#2952558 - 10/11/18 10:49 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I love logistics smile

I've tried a number of things...I thought it would be cool to use a canvas bag like something you'd see when heading off to the Foreign Legion, but being shapeless it just made a mess of my stuff.

Ended up with using one or two 10-gal rubbermaid tubs, how rock'n'roll can you get...they stack on my cart and offer some protection. I had a mic boom and floor board to fit, and prefer to keep my stuff laying horizontal (vs a backpack, though I do use one of those for quick one-setters where I bring less gear).

I bought a double-pistol soft case for my mic and IEM stuff, it then goes in the tub. Very thick and protective, I just worry someone might think I'm bringing a gun in if I carry it separately (which I do when I take only that gear home on a 2-night gig) grin

One thing I'll never get...why does everything have to be matte black smile Not like your bags will be on stage with you (which would be a valid reason). I've had wonderful times on dim stages at 2am with a bunch of matte black cables that need to go into matte black bags and cases....

#2952570 - 10/11/18 11:42 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Stokely]
hatricklov Offline

Loc: CO
I went through a bit of research quite some time ago for a similar product. I considered the cable and phitz bags, but I didn't like the fact that the slots weren't adjustable to the gear that I wanted to pack. I ended up working on putting items together to create what I wanted. I didn't really finish it as I stopped gigging out. I had planned on combining a heavy-duty toolbox with padded dividers.

I bought this toolbox...
Plano 22" Power Tool Box #701-001

The closest thing I could find were padded dividers like pro photographers use. I just had to find a set that fit the toolbox, and optimally were a different color than black. Orange or yellow would be great for those dimly lit stages. I never got around to buying one, much less finding one with the closest approximate dimensions. Besides for what they cost, I want it in some other color than black. Either way, it'd be something along these lines...

Pelican padded divider sets

The plan was to have it carry mics, pedals, Vent, Vent switch, expression pedal, direct box, audio interface... etc.

Edited by hatricklov (10/11/18 12:06 PM)

#2952594 - 10/11/18 01:11 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: cedar]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

I believe the compartments are going to force me to be a little more organized.

Yep I think you should find it very helpful in that regard, cedar.

I've always been obsessive about cable management and what I love about this bag is the fact that cables are stacked beside, rather than on top of each other. If you gig regularly you soon start to memorise where everything lives and therefore don't have to hunt underneath other cables for the one you need at any given point in time.

It's also very easy to visually check if everything is where it should be. I couldn't tell you how many times I've "rescued" an IEC cable from a stage tech. It actually becomes impossible to leave anything behind in the mayhem of packdown.

It's also very useful when I perform my secondary role of rescuer-of-guitarists-who-never-bring-spare-anything as I can quickly access cable/9 volt battery/gaff/blutack/screwdriver/their brain while they flap around in a mad panic. And know if it's been returned (they can keep the blutack).

But as you state, we all operate in different environments so all this might be superfluous for many.

#2952606 - 10/11/18 01:55 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

I've been mildly interested in a couple of different camera bags for this purpose, including this one, which seems like a good shape, size, and price (and would hold a mixer perhaps).

That looks nice but is bit larger than I need. I'm thinking this one might work for me. It has dividers, is inexpensive, and the top looks flat enough to serve as a low laptop or Vent stand.

#2952608 - 10/11/18 02:07 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Al Quinn]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

Are the dividers moveable/removeable? I like the idea of the dividers but I think I want a bigger space or 2 and maybe 6 or so divided small spaces.

#2952613 - 10/11/18 02:18 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: Al Quinn]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Al Quinn

That looks nice but is bit larger than I need. I'm thinking this one might work for me. It has dividers, is inexpensive, and the top looks flat enough to serve as a low laptop or Vent stand.

I looked at that one too. The nice thing about photography equipment is that it's designed to be easily portable, since they move around so much.

(Dividers are moveable in both.)

#2952616 - 10/11/18 02:22 PM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2952690 - 10/12/18 06:44 AM Re: Cable file bag? [Re: MaskOfInsects]
hatricklov Offline

Loc: CO
This one's particularly nice: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1313153-REG/porta_brace_grip_2b_durable_run_bag_style_cordura.html/?ap=y

Good find!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner