Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2950211 - 09/26/18 04:16 PM Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
It is a 2011 Deluxe Player Stratocaster. I got it, blemished, for Christmas 2011. It was supposed to be a Standard, but this was the same price so I got this. I love this guitar, it is crimson with gold hardware. I tried to post a picture but failed. It has a 12 inch radius fretboard, as far as I can tell, the only fender with that fretboard. I like it so much better than the 9.5. Now that I have decided this is the one it is time to upgrade.
For pickups Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Surfers are my favorite currently. I will answer the question, no the name had nothing to do with my choice. They fall nicely in between the Vintage Noiseless and the hotter pickups. I'm still deciding on tuners and bridge. Schaller locking and Gotoh tuners and Wilkinson/Gotoh bridge are leading. Any ideas Will be taken into consideration.
Price is not a huge issue, as I am keeping this guitar for a long time and have a closet full of bargains that I will never wear. Lesson being, get what want not what is the cheapest.

GP Island
#2950213 - 09/26/18 04:44 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: surfergirl]
desertbluesman Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I use Duncan pickups in my guitars, usually a full sized Duncan Distortion humbucking in the bridge and little 59'ers in my homemade partscaster. All of them humbucking although the little 59'ers are strat sized and will fit into the standard pickguard.

I do not know if the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Surfers are humbucking or noiseless or do they hum like standard strat pups?

For my taste in pickups they have to be noisless or humbucking because I hate the hum enough to sacrifice that vintage Strat sound.

In my Agile Strat Clone I have Fender Vintage Noiseless pups in it. But I use a Boss Blues Driver for boost and tone control to fatten up and give the pups humbucking like power.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2950215 - 09/26/18 04:49 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: surfergirl]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Got no real suggestions, SG, other than you might consider pups that maintain noise abatement (I think the SD's do), esp if yer planning working in computer environments.
Good on ya, Girl !

Off the point but do you know abt a gtr maker there Sydow (Honolulu) ?
Do they have a shop from which you could steal one for me ?
A Sydow "Stratacoustic", mebbe ? grin facepalm

#2950230 - 09/26/18 08:37 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: d]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
What you upgrade depends on what results you want.

Sooo...what’s your vision?

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2950232 - 09/26/18 08:43 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
+1 on locking tuners and I would add strap locks... cool

#2950236 - 09/26/18 09:31 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, price is ALWAYS an issue. Some upgrades are worth spending stupid money on, others aren’t...and thst is always situationally dependent. A good upgrade on one axe might be a terrible waste on another.

#2950239 - 09/26/18 09:40 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Larryz]
surfergirl Offline

d, I have heard the name, that is about all. He does make some nice looking instruments.

Dannyalcatraz, I guess the vision is a work in progress. Just have fun doing covers, everything from blues to hard rock. No metal. None of us view this as a career.

Larryz, I have strap locks. I bought a Lakota Leathers strap a couple years ago, and the leather is so soft you can't use without strap locks. Any movement would separate guitar from strap. I use those hard rubber washers from Fender, very secure and cheap.

Edited by surfergirl (09/26/18 10:29 PM)

#2950245 - 09/26/18 11:01 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: surfergirl]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My sole “Strat” was made by Fret-King- a brand owned & operated by Trevor Wilkinson. As such, it uses all-Wilkinson hardware. I can say that it is a little confusing getting the Trem bar in, but that the tuning stability is as good as it gets for a classic style tremolo. I also have 2 other Fret-Kings, one with a Trem, one hardtail. No issues at all. And I'm pretty sure I have other guitars using Wilkinson parts.

I don’t know how well swapping out the Fender Trem for the Wilkinson would go, but at the least, rest assured you’d be working with quality parts. Better than Fender? Better than Gotoh? I can’t say. But good.

Are you looking to stick with singlecoil-sized pickups, or are you considering a larger pickup in the bridge?

I have an ex-in-law uncle who is a session musician. He has Bill Lawrence pickups in his #1, and his clean tone is epic! Haven’t heard him play anything heavier than light classic rock, though- mostly R&B, jazz and 50s-60s rock.

Now, there IS a Bill Lawrence pickup making company, but it is owned & operated by one of Bill’s former protégés. They had a falling out...but from what I understand, they still make pickups Bill’s way.

HOWEVER, Bill and his family are still in the biz as well, making pickups under the Wilde Pickups name.

Other options: TV Jones, Vintage Vibe, Lace, Bareknuckle, The Creamery and Rio Grande are all worth looking at.

#2950302 - 09/27/18 11:13 AM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Online   content
10k Club

There have been a couple of strap lock issues I have experienced with regard to size and with regard to coming loose.

1. Some of the pins on the guitar and in the strap lock kits are in a couple of different sizes. So I carry a different strap for each of my 3 Strats and whichever two I take with the gig have their straps attached while I'm playing them or while they sit on the stand.

2. The Strap lock pins on the guitar could work loose after a few hours of play time. So I would carry a phillips head screw driver to the gigs. However, I applied a little glue to the threads and since then, they have never come loose again...

just a couple of thoughts on strap locks... cool

Edited by Larryz (09/27/18 11:16 AM)

#2950314 - 09/27/18 12:43 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I have strap locks on all of my guitars, I use Shaller strap locks on all of my instruments. I have a different strap for each guitar which goes with the guitar in each case. Once I started using strap locks I never looked back.

Once in a while I would have to stuff toothpicks and Elmers glue into the strap button holes on the guitar body, trim the toothpicks flush and screw the strap-locks to the guitar while the glue was still soft. I have done that trick in many applications even other than on guitar.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2950323 - 09/27/18 01:54 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
...Now, there IS a Bill Lawrence pickup making company, but it is owned & operated by one of Bill’s former protégés. They had a falling out...but from what I understand, they still make pickups Bill’s way.
HOWEVER, Bill and his family are still in the biz as well, making pickups under the Wilde Pickups name....

Always cool to know, as Geo Clinton says, what's in the picture behind the picture---thx, DanA !

#2950336 - 09/27/18 03:49 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: d]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

surfergirl, if you're looking to sell the loaded pickguard with the Vintage Noiseless pickups and 7 way switching... let's talk.

#2950337 - 09/27/18 03:54 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I put the loaded pickguard from a Deluxe Players Strat like yours (I love the vintage noiseless pickups and the 7 way switching) into an early Fender Highway 1 Strat that I had stripped because it was a ice American-made body and neck with the worst components they could find to keep the price low I guess.

I snatched a new set of Fender locking tuners and a Wilkinson Trem that's great. And the Villex mid-boost switch replacement jack is an awesome an unintrusive mod.

Apologies to others who've heard me talk about this guitar over the years.

#2950340 - 09/27/18 04:51 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: p90jr]
surfergirl Offline

I might get that Villex mid boost. I'm going to put everything from my Deluxe Player into my Squier, so it will be upgraded also.

#2950360 - 09/27/18 07:25 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: surfergirl]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
The two upgrades I did with my American Standard Strat were I installed Fender locking tuners. Forget the Schallers, they're more expensive. And upgraded to Fender hot noiseless pickups. Each position on the 5 way switch is unique. The neck and mid are my go tos. Good luck!

Edited by Delta (09/27/18 09:11 PM)

#2950371 - 09/27/18 08:45 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: surfergirl]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
I'm going to put everything from my Deluxe Player into my Squier, so it will be upgraded also.

Solid plan.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (09/27/18 08:45 PM)

#2950383 - 09/27/18 09:55 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I'm going to put everything from my Deluxe Player into my Squier, so it will be upgraded also.

Solid plan.

Indeed and indubitably. cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2950392 - 09/27/18 11:09 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (09/27/18 11:11 PM)

#2950424 - 09/28/18 03:58 AM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Those are cool, Danny. Gotta peruse those sites to see what(and if) they have in something like that for acoustics. wink

Whitefang

#2950428 - 09/28/18 04:53 AM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: whitefang]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
I think you are making very sound choices for this guitar, so long as you plan on keeping it forever. Most upgrades detract from resale value, even though they may exponentially improve the instrument.

#2950544 - 09/28/18 06:24 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Those are cool, Danny. Gotta peruse those sites to see what(and if) they have in something like that for acoustics. wink

Whitefang

Of those, WDMusic is most likely to. But I know there are companies doing engraved wood, embossed leather and similar things for acoustic guitars.

#2950980 - 10/01/18 05:39 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: desertbluesman]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
I found that Schaller strap locks rattle when sitting down with no tension on the strap. Plus they loosen-up easily as mentioned above. Not good for recording - will put some noise on the track at low volume. I use Grolsch beer bottle washers on my tele and have found the best strap locks for Gibson are the cheap plastic round or triangle Dunlops at approx $2.50 each.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2951068 - 10/02/18 10:52 AM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Bartholomew]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Bartholomew
I found that Schaller strap locks rattle when sitting down with no tension on the strap. Plus they loosen-up easily as mentioned above. Not good for recording - will put some noise on the track at low volume. I use Grolsch beer bottle washers on my tele and have found the best strap locks for Gibson are the cheap plastic round or triangle Dunlops at approx $2.50 each.

I've gotta say that I absolutely love Dunlop StrapLoks. A li'l dab of clear Teflon gel lube (Brain Lube Yo Yo lube is a good current source!) in their bearings keeps the squeaks and squeals away, and if properly installed, they never fail.

If you recess their flush-mount StrapLok in the tail-end of the guitar, but install their standard variety standing-tall on the surface at the neck-side location, they'll even ever so subtly shift the guitar's balance and help with 'neck-heavy' guitars...

Not a fan of the Scaller Strap Locks! I'm an EX owner/user of THOSE...

#2951226 - 10/03/18 10:30 AM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: surfergirl]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I might get that Villex mid boost. I'm going to put everything from my Deluxe Player into my Squier, so it will be upgraded also.

Even better, check out the EMG SPC ("Strat Presence Control"); it runs on a battery, but (A) it will work with your passive pickups, (B) does NOT sound 'electronic', 'effect-y', 'gimmicky', 'hyped', or 'fake', and (C) sounds smooth, natural, warm, and AMAZING. It gradually boosts mids and low-mids as you turn it up from 'off', while subtly rolling-off the high-treble. GREAT for leads! Everyone that I ever talked into trying this here on the GPF LOVED it and was glad that they'd installed it in their guitars. It replaces one Tone control. No less than David Gilmour has them in his Strats.

#2951281 - 10/03/18 03:11 PM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
surfergirl Offline

Sounds interesting I will look at it, thank you. I am checking out every suggestion. My Grandfather will help with my decisions, after all he is the one who has to do all the work.

Edited by surfergirl (10/03/18 03:12 PM)

#2951358 - 10/04/18 07:47 AM Re: Upgrading my Fender DP Stratocaster [Re: surfergirl]
Larryz Online   content
10k Club

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...ard-white-pearl

+1 on the SPC...for $329 you can buy the whole enchilada...3 EXG singles, EXG and SPC. An easy drop in that will get the sound and tone of the more expensive Gilmour model Strat. Takes about 20 minutes to convert. However if your Grandfather is handy with a router, on mine I had it routed out under the spring plate cover so a 9volt battery would lay flat and only use 2 springs. Otherwise you have to remove the pickguard to change the battery in the stock set up...the battery lasts so long, it would be worth just using the stock set up. A Great improvement over my stock MIA Strat...the video will explain the EXG and SPC concept replacing the two tone controls.

+1 Just adding an SPC is also a great suggestion. cool

Edited by Larryz (10/04/18 08:13 AM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose