Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

So my two general complaints/concerns about this keyboard are the lack of bank/voice buttons

I used the bank/voice buttons a lot to select different RH sounds on the fly while playing LH bass. (I'd play while in Edit mode for this to work.) I thought lack of comparable functionality might be a dealbreaker for me on the MODX, but now with the Seamless Sound Switching, I think I could do the same thing a different way.

I was thinking that I could do quick LHB transitions by programming in, for example, a Bass+Piano Performance and a Bass+Organ Performance (and about 15 more) and seamlessly switch between them even mid-beat as needed without the LH bass glitching, but I read elsewhere that Performance switches can have a slight delay to them, can anyone with a MODX or Montage speak to whether this might be an issue?

If these transitions are not close enough to instantaneous, I might have to try to resort to my MOX/MOXF method of leaving the patch in Edit mode, and picking different RH sounds from a User Category on the fly. Since there are no hard buttons for this, is this something that would be easily done from the screen?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That wouldn't work at all! Example: Hold a string note with sustain pedal. Switch to new sound, string note keeps playing. Solo with your new sound over the drone. If you "simply release the sust. pedal and press it again" the string drone will stop!

Ok. Again.

I'm talking about the situation where you play a piano patch and switch to another piano patch.

That's the important part. I'll try to make a record tomorrow and demonstrate how it works on the Montage and how I think it should work (by using the workaround with the Sw button.)

Ok. Again.

I'm talking about the situation where you play a piano patch and switch to another piano patch.

I understand that. My point is, if you globally change the system so that you can sustain your first piano while also sustaining your subsequent second piano sound, you've now broken the feature for my example of sustaining a string note while playing a subsequent UNsustained sound. The Yamaha SSS feature does not know the difference between a piano patch and a string patch or some other patch. What it does for one, it will do for the others.

I suppose you could program a sound to ignore the sustain pedal completely so that you'd be able to use that sound to do a solo over a drone even if the feature worked the way you want, but then you completely lose the ability to use the sustain pedal on that sound, and that isn't good either. e.g. What if you want to sustain the last note of your solo while switching to the sound that will come next?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Ok. Just my observation with regard to SST or Patch-hold, whatever you want to call it. Personally, I don't like using the touchscreen for changing sounds, because unless you hit it exactly right, you may change to wrong sound. I find using the buttons far more accurate that touch screen. Just my observation.. What I REALLY like about Karma Scene buttons for SST, I can change sounds up to four times without a cutoff of sound using sustain pedal. I can have splits and change to another multi w/o cutting off sound. Also, I can layer sounds using the Scene buttons. Such as, Strings on button one, hit button 2 and piano sounds w/o cutoff of sound. also I can layer the piano and strings by hitting button below scene buttons, and still have organ on scene 3 and synth on scene 4. Hope this makes sense. Thank.

Yes, I definitely see advantages to holding a sound through more than one transition, and for having hard buttons to switch, etc. Those weren't things mentioned earlier which is why I was unclear as to where the MODX fell down compared to Kronos, but... yep. Though personally, I'm still unclear about exactly what you can and can't do with MODX scenes. But the Kronos comparison is kind of moot in my case, because I'm only looking at the MODX 76 and 88, and I don't want the weight of the Kronos 73 or 88. I'd love to see Kronos-based models getting more weight/size competitive with the MODX.

Ok. I made two recordings here with my Montage, using the same two performances. The first one is a Piano, the second one is one of the new RD E. Pianos. I recorded audio, on the very first try, more or less the same phrase (excuse my imperfections on this short demonstration).

In my first example, I played a phrase with a piano patch, holded the sustain pedal at the end of the phrase, switched to the e. piano by selecting the new performance on the Montage (manually) while the sust. pedal was held and kept on playing with the newly selected e. piano patch. You can hear how the e. piano sound is not sustained and it doesn't really sound right.

In my second example, I combined the piano patch and the e. piano patch into one performance and switched between the sound with the SW1 button on the Montage (its name is AF1 on the Montage). Here you will here how the piano keeps on sounding while I play the e. piano and how the e. piano is also sustained from the still pressed sust. pedal. I think this is the desired way to crossfade one piano sound seamlessly into another piano sound. This is also how - to my knowledge - all other keyboards function with seamless switching. (And remember, you can always release the sust. pedal before it gets muddy and press it again for sustaining notes).

That wouldn't work at all! Example: Hold a string note with sustain pedal. Switch to new sound, string note keeps playing. Solo with your new sound over the drone. If you "simply release the sust. pedal and press it again" the string drone will stop!

Ok. Again.

That's the important part. I'll try to make a record tomorrow and demonstrate how it works on the Montage and how I think it should work (by using the workaround with the Sw button.)

Ok, personally I think this is splitting hairs and I agree with AnotherScott, the way you want to do it screws over anyone who wants a Synth/String/Pad drone, although personally I wouldn't do it this way. If this is going to be a thing then it should be a System level option that can be selected by the user(sustain carry or something)

Ok. Just my observation with regard to SST or Patch-hold, whatever you want to call it. Personally, I don't like using the touchscreen for changing sounds, because unless you hit it exactly right, you may change to wrong sound. I find using the buttons far more accurate that touch screen. Just my observation.. What I REALLY like about Karma Scene buttons for SST, I can change sounds up to four times without a cutoff of sound using sustain pedal. I can have splits and change to another multi w/o cutting off sound. Also, I can layer sounds using the Scene buttons. Such as, Strings on button one, hit button 2 and piano sounds w/o cutoff of sound. also I can layer the piano and strings by hitting button below scene buttons, and still have organ on scene 3 and synth on scene 4. Hope this makes sense. Thank.

I see where you are coming from with this, however Phil C on the yamaha site makes a good point that they are ways to do this on the Yamaha, just not with their version of the Scene button which is not the same as the Kronos's.

Yes, I definitely see advantages to holding a sound through more than one transition, and for having hard buttons to switch, etc. Those weren't things mentioned earlier which is why I was unclear as to where the MODX fell down compared to Kronos, but... yep. Though personally, I'm still unclear about exactly what you can and can't do with MODX scenes. But the Kronos comparison is kind of moot in my case, because I'm only looking at the MODX 76 and 88, and I don't want the weight of the Kronos 73 or 88. I'd love to see Kronos models getting more weight/size competitive with the MODX.

I don't think this is a productive criticism, the Kronos and MODX are at different tiers of their product lines. Makes more sense to compare the weight of the Montage and the Kronos. The MODX costs less than half of the Kronos and has considerably less in the way of functionality.

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

Ok. I made two recordings here with my Montage, using the same two performances. The first one is a Piano, the second one is one of the new RD E. Pianos. I recorded audio, on the very first try, more or less the same phrase (excuse my imperfections on this short demonstration).

In my first example, I played a phrase with a piano patch, holded the sustain pedal at the end of the phrase, switched to the e. piano by selecting the new performance on the Montage (manually) while the sust. pedal was held and kept on playing with the newly selected e. piano patch. You can hear how the e. piano sound is not sustained and it doesn't really sound right.

In my second example, I combined the piano patch and the e. piano patch into one performance and switched between the sound with the SW1 button on the Montage (its name is AF1 on the Montage). Here you will here how the piano keeps on sounding while I play the e. piano and how the e. piano is also sustained from the still pressed sust. pedal. I think this is the desired way to crossfade one piano sound seamlessly into another piano sound. This is also how - to my knowledge - all other keyboards function with seamless switching. (And remember, you can always release the sust. pedal before it gets muddy and press it again for sustaining notes).

Very cool!

I get it, just disagree about this. I wouldn't want this feature personally...

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

Ok. I made two recordings here with my Montage, using the same two performances.

Yes, it's just what I expected. And it is a nice, musical example. But the point remains that (a) having the pedal transitions only work that way would break other useful approaches to transitions (i.e. solo over drone), and (b) you found a way to do what you need on the Montage anyway. I just don't see the Yamaha approach as "broken" -- it's a design choice that happens to run counter to the way you'd prefer it, that's all. There are reasons to do it their way that are just as musically valid.

I don't think this is a productive criticism, the Kronos and MODX are at different tiers of their product lines. Makes more sense to compare the weight of the Montage and the Kronos. The MODX costs less than half of the Kronos and has considerably less in the way of functionality.

I was just saying that having all the Montage sounds and a lot of its functionality in the much lighter MODX is an approach I'd love to see from Korg with the Kronos. For example, as I mentioned elsewhere, I'd have loved to have seen most of the Kronos packaged into the Pa3X Le chassis.

Ok. Again.

Ok, personally I think this is splitting hairs and I agree with AnotherScott, the way you want to do it screws over anyone who wants a Synth/String/Pad drone, although personally I wouldn't do it this way. If this is going to be a thing then it should be a System level option that can be selected by the user(sustain carry or something)

I see where you are coming from with this, however Phil C on the yamaha site makes a good point that they are ways to do this on the Yamaha, just not with their version of the Scene button which is not the same as the Kronos's.

Yes, I definitely see advantages to holding a sound through more than one transition, and for having hard buttons to switch, etc. Those weren't things mentioned earlier which is why I was unclear as to where the MODX fell down compared to Kronos, but... yep. Though personally, I'm still unclear about exactly what you can and can't do with MODX scenes. But the Kronos comparison is kind of moot in my case, because I'm only looking at the MODX 76 and 88, and I don't want the weight of the Kronos 73 or 88. I'd love to see Kronos models getting more weight/size competitive with the MODX.

Agree - the comparison to Kronos is Montage, most people favor Kronos in these parts. Alas Korg doesnt have anything that can remotely touch MODX (jmo) at $1500 US

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Agree - the comparison to Kronos is Montage, most people favor Kronos in these parts.

Kronos has been around a lot longer, but yeah, I suspect that Montage has not been selling as well as Kronos. You can't really get a sense from the Sweetwater and Musicians Friends sites' sort-by-sales/popularity, though, because they put the boards in different categories. But I've wondered whether Yamaha might have gotten more traction if they had instead called the successor to the Motif XF "Motif Montage." I guess Yamaha wanted people to see this as something completely new, but in the process, they lost the cachet and recognition of the Motif name. But who knows, maybe it's selling as well as the Motif series ever did, I don't know.

Alas Korg doesnt have anything that can remotely touch MODX (jmo) at $1500 US
Yeah, that's kinda what I was saying. The Krome sees about due for a refresh, maybe we'll be surprised.

Did y'all know this past summer the guys that make SampleRobot partnered with Yamaha on a Montage Edition of the software that sample straight to the Montage format? I presume any instruments you create/convert would also work on the MODX

[video:youtube]

Montage Edition

https://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/samplerobot

They also just released a version 6 pro.

https://samplerobot.com/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Agree - the comparison to Kronos is Montage, most people favor Kronos in these parts.

Kronos has been around a lot longer, but yeah, I suspect that Montage has not been selling as well as Kronos. You can't really get a sense from the Sweetwater and Musicians Friends sites' sort-by-sales/popularity, though, because they put the boards in different categories. But I've wondered whether Yamaha might have gotten more traction if they had instead called the successor to the Motif XF "Motif Montage." I guess Yamaha wanted people to see this as something completely new, but in the process, they lost the cachet and recognition of the Motif name. But who knows, maybe it's selling as well as the Motif series ever did, I don't know.

Alas Korg doesnt have anything that can remotely touch MODX (jmo) at $1500 US
Yeah, that's kinda what I was saying. The Krome sees about due for a refresh, maybe we'll be surprised.

And the actions on Krome models are a escapade into how cheap can we go and still get away with it. Id rather play the FA-06 action and that is not saying very much at all.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

mojkarma, Have you ever heard of a board that actually can accomplish what you wan't to do?

As I see it you have three options:

-See if you could add another sustainpedal to the montage and try to set them up to control the different sounds the way you wan't. WIth the multitude of control features on the montage this might be possible to setup

-Get a second board for piano or rhodes sounds, and of course use two pedals.

-You could learn how to use keys to sustain notes not he pedal. :-)

As my old piano teacher used to say, don't overuse the sustainpedal.

mojkarma, Have you ever heard of a board that actually can accomplish what you wan't to do?

Yes.

All the Kurzweils do, all the Rolands do, the Korg Kronos does it and as one of the last in the club, Nord does it on its newest models with seamless switching. Practically, every other (mainstream) keyboard with seamless switching works this way.

Nobody ever complained here. And now that I pointed out how Montage/Modx works different, suddenly it becomes a problem! ;)

Had to go out in the studio and test, and I completely agree! It is damn annoying, works much better on the stage3.

Another annoying fact wrt montage is that yo cannot save different settings of local control on button using scenes, that was what I first tried to do when using different sounds for a tune. That way you wouldnt have to deal with the mute issue. Just have to make 12 different programs for that jackson medley..........I will kill the bandleader for any last minute song order changes....

Yes.

All the Kurzweils do, all the Rolands do, the Korg Kronos does it and as one of the last in the club, Nord does it on its newest models with seamless switching. Practically, every other (mainstream) keyboard with seamless switching works this way.

Nobody ever complained here. And now that I pointed out how Montage/Modx works different, suddenly it becomes a problem! ;)

A good solution for the Sustain issue would be to implement both Sustain and Sostenuto pedals... you'd use Sustain if you wanted everything to continue to sustain, and Sostenuto if you only wanted to sustain what was already playing.

My own pet peeve for something Yamaha implements differently from everyone else is Transpose. If I have a LH Bass split, and a singer wants to change the key of the song, the Transpose function doesn't work well, because it doesn't really change the pitch of the notes being generated by the keys... instead, it shifts which note commands the keys are sending out (I believe the MIDI transmit is what is changing). That is, the actual note of the split remains fixed, instead the physical split point changes. So some of your bass split keys may not be bass notes anymore. Sucks.

Yes.

I understand. But being a weekend warrior and old as dirt, I try to use only one board and I find this limitation a deal breaker for me.

A mini MODX(7) review from me:

- damn I love how light it is :D

- plastic body but feels sturdy enough

- navigating patches isn't the best I've seen but workable - a key frustration for me is that there's no numeric label on the new performances you create for yourself - a pain when using MainStage to change performances

- sounds themselves - enormous range and quality is good too

- keybed is ok - nothing to get excited about but workable, also aware Im spoilt having a Kronos LS that has a keybed I love.

:thu:

- navigating patches isn't the best I've seen but workable - a key frustration for me is that there's no numeric label on the new performances you create for yourself - a pain when using MainStage to change performances

- keybed is ok - nothing to get excited about but workable, also aware Im spoilt having a Kronos LS that has a keybed I love.

So you're saying the keybed on Kronos LS is much better?

What about the touchscreen compared to Kronos and ease of use compared to Kronos?

Did you own a Motif before ? Gauging your familiarity in how Yamaha UI works for you

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Hiya, To answer all the questions:

1. MODX keys are standard synth keys whereas the LS is piano sized but not weighted. So they're quite different but the MODX feels 'flimsier' to me but not surprised given cost differential.

2. I've gotta give the thumbs up to the MODX touchscreen - it's smaller than the Kronos but much more responsive - more like a smartphone whereas it's a constant thing on Kronos to have to press harder.

3. Never owned a Motif / Montage before - last Yamaha I owned was an S70XS. I prefer the Korg UI big-time but I've managed to work most things out on the MODX without needing to refer to the manual.

Hit the name of the sound and press info, that way you get the MSB/LSB/Program change no

Hi,

Recently purchased a MODX8 and also own a MOXF8.

Loving the sounds and capabilities of this keyboard and it's LIGHTWEIGHT.

BUT Still having problems following the transfer/migration of Performances from MOXF to MODX format despite a reply from Bad Mister.

Please excuse my lack of tech knowledge as I am having trouble with "a new learning curve on a new instrument"- BUT I am an avid user /owner of Yamaha keyboards from DX& and CP70 days in the 80s:(

Basically in the majority of my performances on the MOXF I have usually use 3-4 voices spread about the keyboard some "voices" layered and others split using MOFX terminology.

E.g a Typical MOXF performance I used for various specific songs ( where limited to 4 parts/voices) using Part 1:- Acoustic Piano, Part 2:-a favourite Rhodes or Wurlie sound , Part 3:- a Hammond B3 sound, Part 4:- Brass/ Strings or Synth

If I was constructing a similar Performance on the MODX

1. Am I limited to 4 Parts as was in the case with the Moxf ? Or More on the MODX?

2. Can you please explain how to setup a similar performance as per above example on the MODX with step by step instructions?

3. I basically want to use the 4 sliders on the MODX to control volumes of my 4 parts ( or more parts if I am able to on the MODX and use parts 5-8) as per above example

- piano, rhodes, organ, brass/strings/synth for realtime mixing within a song sections e.g Verse, chorus etc in a live band performance

4.If I want to use e.g the better quality MODX CFX Pop/Rock piano to replace Studio Grand from Mofx as the CFX Pop/Rock piano has 3 active parts/elements 1,2 and 4 how does this relate or work with what I have been doing live on my Moxf? And how do I add the other 3 or more parts that I may require Rhodes,Organ , brass/strings

PS.I also own a Roland RD2000 keyboard and have created similar Song Performance set ups with it using sliders 1-8 controlling a combination of Internal and external sounds BUT find this keyboard too heavy and wide for many many stage setups and purchased the Yamaha MODX as a more lightweight master keyboard.

Hopefully someone out there doing the same thing ( with more technical knowledge than me) and upgrading to the MODX from MOXF can understand my questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mark

Hit the name of the sound and press info, that way you get the MSB/LSB/Program change no

Great pickup thanks so much!

1. Am I limited to 4 Parts as was in the case with the Moxf ? Or More on the MODX?

Your premise is wrong, in that you were not limited to 4 parts on the MOXF. While that was a limit of Performance mode, you could go beyond that if you were in Song/Pattern Mixing mode, which lots of people used for live performance, despite the nomenclature. Then you could go up to 16 parts (though only eight could have insert fx). You'd also get the advantage of patch remain between all 16 parts, though you'd lose some Performance mode features, like arp controls and Direct Performance Record. See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/465634/ (and the article referenced in that thread, at http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live1 )

This becomes more relevant to your question because, as guru Bad Mister said, "You can think of the MODX as always being in MIXING mode." You can have 16 sounds at a time in what the MODX now calls a Performance (I believe 12 can have insert fx; and if you keep it down to no more an 8, you can have seamless switching to other Performances).