Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

Wall warts are for easy UL compliance.

I know why they do it, but that doesn't change the fact that its not compatible with gigging musicians. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Its not supposed to be about whats easier for them, its supposed to be about what makes sense for their customers.

Once again, wall warts are for toys.

The fact that I'd have to carry around an external power supply makes the keyboard a non-starter.

They only way I'd ever consider a MODX would be if I modified it and put a real power supply inside the case where it belongs.

You have to "carry around" a power cord for the keyboard with an internal supply right? Not much different. Many of us "gigging musicians" don't see a problem. There are a lot of pro pieces of gear that use external power supplies.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

You have to "carry around" a power cord for the keyboard with an internal supply right? Not much different.

Well, they are fine until you misplace one of them. :(

Synths with internal power supplies normally use a standard cord... I always carry an extra.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Extensive conversation about reasons for external PSUs, modifying boards to not need them, safely attaching them to boards, etc. at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2882741/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Making preset changes, edits, etc counting mainly on the touchscreen feels a bit uncomfortable to me. According to Blake Angelo, it's the same Montage screen...on the other hand, watching this BoBeats demo, one could see its not so perfect..Anyway, the sound is fascinating even not having this top quality of Montage DACs.

Hope you enjoy it Aidan, looks like a nice board. Will you keep the Tyros?

Yes, but it will now mostly stay home, I think. I have been using it for some of the orchestral sounds on the Joni shows, but hopefully the MODX should cover all those bases with one board, and even if not certainly should with the addition of my Macbook Pro running something like Garritan Personal Orchestra.

The two boards that will be heading out will be my Kurz PC361 (now rather aged) and the Casio PX-5S (used only for a back-up for a couple of years now, and I can't justify having three 88s for piano work).

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Making preset changes, edits, etc counting mainly on the touchscreen feels a bit uncomfortable to me. According to Blake Angelo, it's the same Montage screen...on the other hand, watching this BoBeats demo, one could see its not so perfect

True, touchscreen is still a bit of a double-edge sword (ask a Kronos owner). I have not used Montage, and I'm really curious to try the MODX screen.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On the Montage, I don't use the buttons on the right that often - mainly the touch screen for changing sounds.

The thing that I will miss is the 8 sliders (and lights) esp. for organ - but will program the 4 knobs and sliders and assignable switches and scenes should be able to do the same functions.

Making preset changes, edits, etc counting mainly on the touchscreen feels a bit uncomfortable to me. According to Blake Angelo, it's the same Montage screen...on the other hand, watching this BoBeats demo, one could see its not so perfect

True, touchscreen is still a bit of a double-edge sword (ask a Kronos owner). I have not used Montage, and I'm really curious to try the MODX screen.

He montage screen icons are allready bigger then most of the kronos interface..

Altough a 9 touchscreen for this interface would hae been perfect..

From my experience, indare say that many of my irritators with the kronos touchscrean dont excist on monage, and so will not excist on moxd

Extensive conversation about reasons for external PSUs, modifying boards to not need them, safely attaching them to boards, etc. at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2882741/

Here is 2 reasons for using an extrnal supply..(pov yamaha developmen)

-weight

-costprice

What would really help, if the device/modx could be either battery or usb powered...

On the Montage, I don't use the buttons on the right that often - mainly the touch screen for changing sounds.

The thing that I will miss is the 8 sliders (and lights) esp. for organ - but will program the 4 knobs and sliders and assignable switches and scenes should be able to do the same functions.

Every time i look at my montage sliders, i miss the 9th one..

But the lights around sliders and the knobs are invalluable..

The buttons to the right, i started using more and more

I am heavilly into arps..

And so i started using them more and more..

And now with the daw controll in patch 2.5.. those buttons are hugely usefull

If they ever bring back song and espescially patern mode in the next model genos, those buttons will be even more usefull 16 tracks and 16npatterns make a great ableton live type of use possible..

Yamaha tough should make those buttons more usefull..

Like a mode that allows you to program the butons with your own shortcuts..

You have to "carry around" a power cord for the keyboard with an internal supply right? Not much different. Many of us "gigging musicians" don't see a problem. There are a lot of pro pieces of gear that use external power supplies.

Lose or damage your external supply before a gig and your SOL.

Barrel plugs are non-universal and non-standard. There are 20+ variations of the plug end (both size and polarity). Its not like you can just pick up a replacement power supply in your local hardware store.

Lose your IEC cable and you can pretty much find a replacement cable anywhere. Just about Every computer, monitor, TV, cash registers, etc. etc, that uses a removable plug has one (meaning it can be borrowed if needed).

I'm passing on this one..I like the AP piano sound a alot because I play it (well the Montage 88) almost every week at the GC near work for 10-15 min., but honestly I don't need any of those other things is does or the DX sounds and the Knob..and I love knobs just as much as the next guy. I know it's good sounding and all....but for some reason I'm kinda 'Meh' about the Montages and MODX...Nice Ax's for sure though!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Seems like the 61/76 is 85% of a Montage or Kronos at less than half the weight. That's pretty attractive.

Organs don't sound bad, not a clonewheel obviously but very useable if it's not a organ-centered gig. Leslie tremolo is usually a glaring weak spot on a keyboard like this, and that's true for this one.

I dislike wall warts as much as the next guy, but when it's part of a package that's half the weight and price, I'll make that tradeoff. Spending $30 for an extra one is not a big deal.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Lose or damage your external supply before a gig and your SOL.

Which is why, as I suggested before, you need to buy a spare from the get go, put it in your spares bag and _religiously_ always make sure you have that bag with you. My spares bag always contains at least one of the following: dynamic mic, DI box, quarter inch jack, IEC cable, XLR cable, XLR-jack adapters, sustain pedal or switch, expression pedal, plus a few other bits. Not exactly exciting, but a vital part of any pro's armoury.

Just pre-ordered a MODX8 from Kraft music. $1,949 with the carry bag kit.

A verdict on the case would be interesting. At first glance, it looks a bit like the (terrible) one they came up with for the CP4/MOXF8 but actually it appears they have moved the wheels to the absolute corners. The others were inset slightly which made the case highly unstable and apt to flip while being pulled.

I'm assuming the MODX8 will fit the far superior Soundwear bag I bought from Thomann for my CP4 and as they won't be going out together, I shall probably just use that but others might welcome a report, particularly those outside Europe.

Just pre-ordered a MODX8 from Kraft music. $1,949 with the carry bag kit.

A verdict on the case would be interesting. At first glance, it looks a bit like the (terrible) one they came up with for the CP4/MOXF8 but actually it appears they have moved the wheels to the absolute corners. The others were inset slightly which made the case highly unstable and apt to flip while being pulled.

I'm assuming the MODX8 will fit the far superior Soundwear bag I bought from Thomann for my CP4 and as they won't be going out together, I shall probably just use that but others might welcome a report, particularly those outside Europe.

I got the free bag with the CP4. Besides the quality I really dislike where the handle is located. It makes it awkward to pull it around tight corners (tipsy).

I would be very interested in how the 8 fits in your soundwear bag!

Ordered my 8, this morning!

For organs I use modified ksounds organimation samples in my Montage which I find nicer than the stock organs. It's no clonewheel but sounds as good or better than my Kronos for organs.

Interesting that Organimation might actually sound better than the CX3 modeling engine.

Can't wait to meet up w/ the local musos at Chucks to check out the MODX.

For organs I use modified ksounds organimation samples in my Montage which I find nicer than the stock organs. It's no clonewheel but sounds as good or better than my Kronos for organs.

Easy Sounds has two B3 libraries for Montage (now MODX): Organ Session and Live Organ. have you (or anyone?) had experience with these, able to compare to Ksound?

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I'm also curious about the MODX touchscreen, though my concern is more over the durability.

I'm a Korg M3 owner, and it touchscreen is known for being on the delicate side.

Yes, I should qualify that I've tweaked the eq-ing, controls and leslie speeds to my taste. And I am mostly mixing in with the band with occasional organ solos. The Kronos does have better controls. The Montage drawbars work backwards and they are 8. It's kind of a mind-** at first but I got used to it.

I do occasionally bring my leslie/kronos combo to bigger gigs, and neither keyboard alone even comes close to that.