Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio #2948775 09/17/18 10:34 PM
G
Giancarlo Robles Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hello everyone. I have the blessing of closing on my first home in the coming weeks. One of the biggest considerations was a room for me to use as a studio where I could keep a future A100 with a Leslie and other digital pianos. I managed to find the perfect home with an enormous room for the studio. Issue with this is that the studio is on a second floor (house is a Ranch style home with a stairway exclusively to the studio). For those of you who have had Hammonds I have two questions. First, what's the easiest way to get the Hammond up there? Second, would a Hammond be too heavy for a second floor? This is my first Hammond purchase and I'm just looking for insight from others.

Casio Privia PX-5S ::: DMC-122 with Gemini Module ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 2 with a lot of apps for live playing (Korg Module, Galileo organ, Thumbjam, etc.)
KC Island
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: Giancarlo Robles] #2948780 09/17/18 10:42 PM
matted stump Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Use a set of Roll R Carries, with a strong gentleman at each corner.

Moe
---
"FWIW, I believe all your shafts should be the same." - miden

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: Giancarlo Robles] #2948783 09/17/18 10:51 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Giancarlo Robles
Second, would a Hammond be too heavy for a second floor? This is my first Hammond purchase and I'm just looking for insight from others.

Mate Stubb answered your first question. I have no idea what the building codes are where you purchased your home, but a Hammond organ should not be too heavy for a second floor. In today's oversized society, there are people who weigh as much as a Hammond organ.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: davedoerfler] #2948787 09/17/18 11:23 PM
J. Dead Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
10k Club
Think about it this way. I have 2 bathrooms on my 2nd floor and one on the 3rd. I had to get a larger water heater to fill the jacuzzi tub without running out so I know it holds at least 50 gallons. So that’s 417 lbs of water plus my 175 lbs. I don’t think a Hammond weighs more than 600 lbs.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: Giancarlo Robles] #2948789 09/17/18 11:56 PM
C
cassdad Offline
C
I don't think there is a weight issue. My issue would be the building resonance. I would never put my music on a 2nd floor.... 1) the sound might transmit throughout the entire structure, and 2) you will definitely get harmonic resonances at certain frequencies that will result in boominess, etc, from the structure. But your house, of course. YMMV.

Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: cassdad] #2948795 09/18/18 01:17 AM
J. Dead Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Not sure I agree with this, I've had my studio on the 2nd floor and the 3rd floor and never experienced any of this. However it's a brick/plaster construction from 1910 so maybe that has something to do with it. However, I fail to understand what the floor level has to do with it. Usually it is more a matter of the shape of the room and room treatments.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: davedoerfler] #2948797 09/18/18 01:26 AM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
In today's oversized society, there are people who weigh as much as a Hammond organ.

mic drop

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: MAJUSCULE] #2948821 09/18/18 08:14 AM
J
jpgxk3 Offline
J
If u go for it, lock down the 4 corners of the generator and make sure tubes are in tight or remove them. Tube numbers are stamped on the metal chassis so you can replace correctly. Measure that stairway if you think it’s tight and have some big backup boys at top and bottoms in case first team gets tired or stuck. Have fun!

SK-1 61; Mojo LE; Leslie 122. Custom 22h powered tone cab amp. MS kp500, Ventilator.
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: Giancarlo Robles] #2948828 09/18/18 09:12 AM
Michael Fright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Giancarlo Robles
Hello everyone. I have the blessing of closing on my first home in the coming weeks.
Congratulations! Enjoy! cheers

Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: Michael Fright] #2948829 09/18/18 09:29 AM
bourniplus Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
I higly respect mate stubb's input and agree about the "strong gentleman" part, but I wonder about the ROKs? For flat surfaces and 1-2 stairs they are absolutely ideal, but for going up or down a set of stairs, personnally I prefer a skid and/or straps.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."
My homemade instruments
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: bourniplus] #2948845 09/18/18 11:15 AM
analogika Offline
The Roll-or-kari has those massive, wonderful wooden handles. Four people is a must for stairs. Bottom two raise those handles to chest height, upper two carry with extended arms.

Works fine.

Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: analogika] #2948849 09/18/18 11:30 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you for all these suggestions. I'll definitely have to invest in a Roll-or-kari then. I really wish I could upload a picture of the staircase so you could see it. It is a bit narrow but not uncomfortably so. I'm sure I'm going to have to remove the railing in order to get the Hammond up there.

BTW, I am curious as to how to upload images here. I guess it's not as easy as uploading them from my computer directly to a post?

Casio Privia PX-5S ::: DMC-122 with Gemini Module ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 2 with a lot of apps for live playing (Korg Module, Galileo organ, Thumbjam, etc.)
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: analogika] #2948851 09/18/18 11:36 AM
bourniplus Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted By: analogika
Bottom two raise those handles to chest height, upper two carry with extended arms.

Yep, makes sense if four people can fit.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."
My homemade instruments
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: bourniplus] #2948891 09/18/18 02:38 PM
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
My A-101 and 122 were originally in the basement of my house. I had muscled them down there with a number of friends back when I wore a younger man's clothes. About 5 years ago after my detached garage music room was ready to roll, I looked around and found some piano movers that agree to move it for me. Three really muscular guys with some great technique moved my rig from the basement across the property to my garage and up to the second floor. It was the best $200 I've ever spent.

My second story music room holds all of this gear comfortably, plus many other things.

Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: eric] #2948901 09/18/18 03:02 PM
M
Musicale Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
Possibly contract a professional piano mover. Might cost a couple hundred, but the purchase of moving equipment is probably more...

Musicale

Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: Giancarlo Robles] #2948902 09/18/18 03:05 PM
D
dfcas Offline
D
If you have an equipment rental place in your town they often have Roll or Karis to rent, They call them a piano dolly,since they do work on upright pianos if you donrt have more than 3 steps at a time.

Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: davedoerfler] #2948904 09/18/18 03:16 PM
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
In today's oversized society, there are people who weigh as much as a Hammond organ.

My new forum signature ......

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; http://www.dyinbreedband.com www.facebook.com/acoustaxx/
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: analogika] #2948916 09/18/18 04:14 PM
matted stump Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Originally Posted By: analogika
The Roll-or-kari has those massive, wonderful wooden handles. Four people is a must for stairs. Bottom two raise those handles to chest height, upper two carry with extended arms.

Works fine.

This. Also:

- measure the width of your door, and measure the depth of the organ. A-100s are not as deep as B-3s fortunately. It may help to pop the door off its hinges if you are tight.
- detach any half moon switches from the rail ahead of time and let them dangle, lest you shear them off going thru the door jamb.
- lock down the generator as previously mentioned.

Are the stairs a straight shot at top and bottom, or is there a tight turn? I once had to make a 90 degree turn at the bottom of my basement steps. We stood the organ on one end (on the roll r carry) and spun it a quarter turn to make it.

Moe
---
"FWIW, I believe all your shafts should be the same." - miden

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: matted stump] #2948931 09/18/18 04:50 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

- measure the width of your door, and measure the depth of the organ. A-100s are not as deep as B-3s fortunately. It may help to pop the door off its hinges if you are tight.
- detach any half moon switches from the rail ahead of time and let them dangle, lest you shear them off going thru the door jamb.
- lock down the generator as previously mentioned.

Thanks for these tips. I'll be sure to put them into practice.

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Are the stairs a straight shot at top and bottom, or is there a tight turn?

Thankfully they are straight. I counted them from the picture I took when I went to see the house. It is a total of 15 steps then the room is to the right. So I don't think it will be too much trouble.

I'll consider the piano movers since it's definitely going to be cheaper than Roll-or-Karis and once it's up there I'm not thinking of getting it back down unless we move out.

Regarding my worry about the second floor: The upstairs studio/room is right above the garage. I guess I'm worrying for nothing but I immediately started thinking that it would be too heavy since there are no support columns in the garage, obviously. My mind flashed an image of the Hammond falling through the second floor and crushing my car below lol.

Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: Giancarlo Robles] #2948985 09/18/18 09:33 PM
B
Bradley B Offline
B
I wonder if a shoulderdolly would work? I've seen it in action and I was impressed, though it was a fridge, not a Hammond or piano and not up a stairwell.

Re: Suggestions? Moving a Hammond Organ to a second floor studio [Re: J. Dead] #2948990 09/18/18 10:22 PM
C
cassdad Offline
C
I could be completely wrong, and maybe it's the type of building construction here (in Southern California). We have no basements, and the 1st floor is a concrete slab = no resonance, very little sound travel. Contrasted to a wood beam floor, and the difference is day and night. But if you have used higher floors with no problem, so be it, I accept that as fact.

Moderated by  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner