Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

I need to fit the 7 into an ATA case that is 50". If i find this case, i'll place my order. I see cases where ext dimension is only 4" more than internal - but not that are exact in 44" or 45" internal. yet.

I love the SKB case that I've taken my MOXF6 around the country in: SKB 1SKB-4214W

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Official line page on Yamaha's website; https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/index.html

I agree, Domi plays great. Maybe I read into her comment too much, but regarding her opinion of the GHS, it sounded to me like she said that she had to practice to get used to the feel of it, it was a bit of a challenge, but now she likes it. It looked like Mr. Angelos was caught of guard for a second. Correct?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

She was excellent...but a few more whole and half notes would have been nice...I'm getting to old for pyrotechnics, she is 19 after all or am I just jealous. Just kidding but the action, I notice they had the same 'sell' with the MX-88 right out of the gate...pushing the 88 GHS action. I hope it's implemented well that's all . . not to be to much of a downer!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I agree, Domi plays great. Maybe I read into her comment too much, but regarding her opinion of the GHS, it sounded to me like she said that she had to practice to get used to the feel of it, it was a bit of a challenge, but now she likes it. It looked like Mr. Angelos was caught of guard for a second. Correct?

Yeah, she was a little too honest there :)

Hehe, yeah! So did I have to practice (w/ my sold MX-88)...there isn't a deep throw on the MX-88 keys and the envelopes even on piano sounds, well there was this sense of endless 'decay' in it w/o depressing the sustain pedal...I couldn't seem to program it out even with the convenient ADSR knobs or touch settings or anything....that coupled with the action was maddening on AP sounds! I'm sure the MODX sound engine won't exhibit the 'decay' issue ...pretty sure it won't! I play a Montage often at the local GC...does not have that particular problem of course on the flagship.

I am digging my SP-6 oh so much more than the MX-88.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I'd say RV is not for consciously "using." It's for programming in sounds (or taking advantage of factory-programmed sounds) that better respond to your touch. For example, a real piano decay sounds different if you release the key very slowly than it does on a normal lift (assuming the sustain pedal is not depressed). Therefore, playing slowly and softly on a keyboard that can sense release velocity could provide a more authentic piano sound. So it's not that you intentionally lift more slowly when you want that sound; rather it's that, when you naturally play more softly and slowly, you can better get the sound you'd want when playing that way.

Any piano libraries out there that do this use a different decay/release sample with a low release velocity? I haven't heard of one but of course it could exist.

It doesn't have to be a different sample, it could also be a different envelope on an existing sample. But anyway, I know my Korg SV1 uses release velocity to affect the mechanical noise on release on both the acoustic and electric pianos. For a different approach, Pianoteq doesn't use samples at all, but it does model different release behaviors.

Or for string passages, you might want more abrupt decays when you're playing quickly/aggressively, and a slightly longer decay when moving among notes more slowly. (I am using "decay" in these examples to refer to what, in synth terms, would happen in the "release" phase, and that is what can be altered with release velocty.)

That's exactly what I tried using rv to do - the feature seems built for this. Maybe if I practiced a lot more I could get it together but I was never able to get the release lengths to sound the way I wanted, no matter how hard I tried.

For what I'm talking about, it's not about practice, it's programming. It's not about consciously trying to lift more gently when you want a less abrupt release; it's about programming in a less abrupt release that will occur when you naturally lift more gently.

So my two general complaints/concerns about this keyboard are the lack of bank/voice buttons

I used the bank/voice buttons a lot to select different RH sounds on the fly while playing LH bass. (I'd play while in Edit mode for this to work.) I thought lack of comparable functionality might be a dealbreaker for me on the MODX, but now with the Seamless Sound Switching, I think I could do the same thing a different way.

and the issue that was/is present in the Montage with not being able to select midi channels for the performance parts. (They are fixed at 1-16)

Are you sure? See... http://montageforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=19

I want to buy the MODX8 today, and would hate if they delayed it because the MOXF8 is still selling well.
Luckily for you, as you've seen, they're all coming out together. I think Sweetwater probably intended to have enough MOXF6 and MOXF8 to cover them until the MODX announcement, and they just ran out of the 6 more quickly than expected.

Something else I like about the 7 and 8 is that they consolidated most of the free space on the right side (though they could have done a little better). Space for a tablet or sound module (Gemini, Boutique)...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Theyre up on Sweetwater now:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=modx

$1299, $1499, and $1899

Pre-order now, deliveries start om 9/27.

I am impressed by the board(s). The pricing is very sharp.

IMO, I would pass on a FA or a Krome given the pricing and strong MODx features.

In fact, I am not even sure either board really competes with the MODx

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The Krome is six years old by now, and has carried on essentially unchanged. I bet an update or replacement is imminent.

The FA series is from 2014, but the sounds are essentially carryovers from the Fantom, which itself had plenty of carryover from the 1990's JV/XP series.

The Montage is from 2016, and it wasn't your typical refried Motif fare. So yeah, the MODX is really ahead of the competition here.

edit:

Crazy, right now my preferred rig would be a Montage 7 on top of a MODX8. But that's just too much Yamaha in one rig!

IMO, I would pass on a FA or a Krome given the pricing and strong MODx features.

I'd go with the MODx too, but I can see where someone could still choose the FA... sequencer, trigger pads, clonewheel engine, VA synth engine, assignable out

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Krome is six years old by now, and has carried on essentially unchanged. I bet an update or replacement is imminent.

The FA series is from 2014, but the sounds are essentially carryovers from the Fantom, which itself had plenty of carryover from the 1990's JV/XP series.

The Montage is from 2016, and it wasn't your typical refried Motif fare. So yeah, the MODX is really ahead of the competition here.

Depending on requirements, I think the FA had enough to be preferable vs Fantom. I know this is debatable , subjective, etc.

The 4 models of the Kronos family (LS, Kross, Krome) are showing their age IMO.

In that niche, Korg should be prepared to completely re-vamp all 4 boards. I also

thought a price reduction on Kronos is long over due.

I think Yamaha has finally put pressure on this niche. Good for them. I think strong choices like the MODx is just what was needed- good, solid convincing competition.

[70's Songwriter]

I'd go with the MODx too, but I can see where someone could still choose the FA... sequencer, trigger pads, clonewheel engine, VA synth engine, assignable out

I'm with you here. I do know several who would choose the FA series over the MODx for the sequencer and trigger pads - those kind of people are not going to care which keyboard has the most state of the art synthesis technology.

And Kraft Music has their demo out now.

Watch it here?

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

And Muzykuj has a video comparing it with the Montage.

[video:youtube]

A/D converters sound fine.

I'm with you here. I do know several who would choose the FA series over the MODx for the sequencer and trigger pads - those kind of people are not going to care which keyboard has the most state of the art synthesis technology.

there are a few useful features, I agree. And the FA is a useful, neat solution.

I have the FA07.. I like it.

with some effort, I think the features can be appended to the MODx.

I am more looking ahead with interesting sound possibilities at this point.

[70's Songwriter]

Zephonic's link is working again.

Sweetwater lists the MODX6 & 7 as having a "LC" synth-weighted keybed.

Sweetwater lists the MODX6 & 7 as having a "LC" synth-weighted keybed.

I wonder if that stands for Low Cwality?

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I don't know if that is the same keybed as the MOXF6. Hoping it's not. I went with a Krome over a MOXF6 because the MOXF6 keys seemed too "loose" and the black keys seemed higher than normal. Hoping the "LC" action is different.

What does the 88 weigh ? No specs at Sweetwater yet.

13.8 Kg or 30 lbs 7 oz

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/specs.html#product-tabs

I went with a Krome over a MOXF6 because the MOXF6 keys seemed too "loose" and the black keys seemed higher than normal.

Wow, that's pretty serious, considering my Krome 73 has the worst action I have ever played.

What does the 88 weigh ? No specs at Sweetwater yet.

13.8 Kg or 30 lbs 7 oz

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/specs.html#product-tabs

I went with a Krome over a MOXF6 because the MOXF6 keys seemed too "loose" and the black keys seemed higher than normal.

Wow, that's pretty serious, considering my Krome 73 has the worst action I have ever played.

I know many people really dislike it. I don't mind it. I'm apparently in the +/- 20% of players who don't have an issue with it. Perhaps the action on the MOXF6 that I tried was beaten up or something. I tried both with organ-style glisses, and the MOXF6 keys seemed like they would break right off. They felt sort of flimsy, almost fragile. Too much sideways play. The Krome was not as bad to my touch. It felt a little sturdier, if you would believe it. I played a Krome 61 at a different store years ago, and really did not like the keys. :idk Both were used. I suppose it helps that I don't play towards the back of the keybed (the Krome is always a second-tier board when I use it live too).

So how is midi implemented, does each part have a fixed midichannel?

I want to know this too. +1

The modx6 is only 7 kg light..

It could be the perfect travel companion..

Add your macbook and blast away..

One would wish, the montage 2 will have the same light builds as these modx builds... the 8 is just 14 kg, for a weighted keybed..

Now the main question, will my montage performances and sets cary over?