Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2948189 - 09/13/18 09:06 PM Kurzweil midiboard
KorgyPorky Offline

I just layed my hands on a kurzweil midiboard..
Why did they ever stop making controllers like this..
Its the perfect studio tool in this age of vsts..

Anyone else have extended experience with this?
How about reliabillity?

KC Island
#2948227 - 09/14/18 05:34 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: KorgyPorky]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
The MIDIBoard (mainly designed by Bob Moog when he worked there) is very well regarded 'round these parts.

What version did you get?

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio

#2948231 - 09/14/18 06:14 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: Dave Bryce]
Delaware Dave Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Probably because it weighed close to 100 pounds. Fine in a studio when you're not moving it around.

#2948232 - 09/14/18 06:21 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: Delaware Dave]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
Probably because it weighed close to 100 pounds. Fine in a studio when you're not moving it around.

This!
www.echoesrocks.com

#2948237 - 09/14/18 06:37 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: Dave Bryce]
KorgyPorky Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
The MIDIboard (mainly designed by Bob Moog when he worked there) is very well regarded 'round these parts.

What version did you get?

dB

Okay, good question.. had to look this up..
Took some time..

Software version is 3.0, which is what i asume the latest version
The keys are full wood.. the whole key mechanic was recently restaurated by the previous owner. For a 30 year old keybed, it plays like a charm..

What i dont understand is that they stopped making these high end multi functional controllers..

I think if they added some encoders and and a set of sliders... some programmable drumpads... it would be a brainless buy for many many studio musicians.. even for live players.. it allready makes me feel like i never wanna go back.. and that after just 2 days..

This is the grand of keyboard controllers.

#2948244 - 09/14/18 07:00 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: KorgyPorky]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: So Paulo, Brasil
If The Real MC (sorry, never remember people's real names) doesn't see this thread, send him a PM. I remember he owns one and uses it extensively.

#2948247 - 09/14/18 07:07 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: Rod S]
Tom Fiala Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: orlando, Fl
And if its great keyboard feel wasn't enough for you, the Midiboard also sends polyphonic aftertouch to synths capable of understanding it.

Hal Chamberlin, long since retired from Kurzweil, helped me with the latest EPROMS for mine. Who else does that sort of thing? Amazing!

#2948252 - 09/14/18 07:24 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: KorgyPorky]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: KorgyPorky
I just layed my hands on a kurzweil midiboard..

You're in good company.

Quote:
Why did they ever stop making controllers like this..

Many speculations. When Young Chang acquired KMS, they dropped the MB. I don't know why. Today there isn't a decent MIDI controller to be found anywhere - after separating out the plastic toys, none have a decent MIDI implementation and they don't have the lovely piano action of the MB. A lot of weighted action controllers are too stiff.

Quote:
Its the perfect studio tool in this age of vsts..

Oh yeah, very comprehensive MIDI implementation. I'm still finding new tricks on it. Only thing missing in NRPNs, which came into being after the MB but I have a knob controller for those.

Quote:
Anyone else have extended experience with this?
How about reliabillity?

Bought mine new in 1989. Gigged it many times with no failures. It has become an integral part of my studio so I wanted another MIDI controller for gigging. As you said, no one makes a current product that is as good I bought a used 2nd MB for gigging as they weren't a lot of $$$.

Yes it is heavy, but the feature set is worth it. And at 55 years old and strong as an ox, lugging that thing around keeps me fit and young.

#2948257 - 09/14/18 07:54 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: The Real MC]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I had one, but sold it when I got my VAX77. The current owner won't sell it back to me! I am very happy with the VAX77, but wish I still had the MIDIBoard. It was built like a tank (and just as heavy!) and it played great. Ask me about PolyAT some time....

#2948261 - 09/14/18 08:05 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: KorgyPorky]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Originally Posted By: KorgyPorky
I think if they added some encoders and and a set of sliders... some programmable drumpads... it would be a brainless buy for many many studio musicians.. even for live players.. it allready makes me feel like i never wanna go back.. and that after just 2 days..

This is the grand of keyboard controllers.

I'll take a wild guess that very few manufacturers would take a chance on an instrument like that today, given the market of "basement beat-makers." I'll admit to being ignorant of what's out there though is there an 88-key with real wood action that has sliders, buttons, drumpads? Physis K4 might come closest in terms of action, but doesn't appear to have pads. And the aftertouch is channel, not poly like yours. Given its age I would probably use it in the studio only notwhithstanding the fact that you couldn't pay me to move it anywhere! Congratulations and best of luck keeping this beast going!

I have a pristine Yamaha KX88 sliders & buttons but no pads, and you need a degree in computer science to program them. To me the value in these older weighted action controllers is strictly the keyboard feel. You can easily place a small USB midi slider/pad/button unit on the Midiboard. There are a lot to choose from Korg has the NanoPad, NanoKontrol, NanoKontrol Studio. Then there's the Behringer X-Touch mini & Icon iControls and iCon Pad.

#2948267 - 09/14/18 09:32 AM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: Reezekeys]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
I'll take a wild guess that very few manufacturers would take a chance on an instrument like that today, given the market of "basement beat-makers."

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment of the market. Most "basement beat-makers" have no training on piano and wouldn't need 88 weighted action keys. Studio (or bedroom) space is a pricey premium these days which is why the short 25/37/49 note MIDI controllers have found favor.

#2949383 - Yesterday at 08:17 PM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: The Real MC]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

I have one and also got the latest EPROMs from Hal Chamberlain. I absolutely love the thing. The poly aftertouch is fantastic (works with my Prophet 6, OB6, and Chroma Polaris), having the velocity response on a slider makes it a breeze to dial in the right touch for different software instruments, the action is amazing and quick, and it is not nearly as hard to program as it is made out to be. I am not gigging it - it stays parked in my studio, but it would be tempting. I think someone on here or another board said they had 2 and one lived in their van for gigs.

#2949386 - Yesterday at 08:51 PM Re: Kurzweil midiboard [Re: Beethree]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Beethree
I think someone on here or another board said they had 2 and one lived in their van for gigs.

wave

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner